Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 5. Chapter 5 -GAD

Generalized anxiety disorder. That’s what I’ve been told I have, by my psychiatrist. It leads to panic attacks every now and then, but by far the most debilitating thing about this is the fact that I am constantly worrying, every minute of every day. I tend to extrapolate the bad things that have happened today and think that they will happen every single day of my future, even if it’s not even a rational thought. I had a brief period of calm about a week ago, but anything can set the vicious cycle running. In my case, it was a visit to the pharmacy a few days ago. After a lot of talk with my doctor, I have decided to give psychoactive/antidepressant medicines another try. This time it’s a different combination, fingers crossed it will work. But when I got to the drugstore they didn’t have the medication that my psychiatrist prescribed and were rather rude, since the combination of meds that I now need includes some drugs which have been known to be abused by people in the past. It doesn’t happen often, but every now and then I have to deal with people thinking that I only want certain medicines to abuse them, even though I have a doctor’s note that says I need them. I get judgmental looks, suspicion, and so on. Or at least that’s how I perceive it. Normally, if it happens it sends me spinning into anxiety. I begin to think that nobody will have the medicine, that nobody will want to sell it to me despite my prescription, that I’m going to have to live through this bad experience again and again and again every single month of my life since the condition I have will probably be with me for the rest of my existence.

 

That’s when the anxiety becomes crippling. I feel all my strength and motivation drain out of me, and I just want to curl into a ball and cry, but that also scares me because it will mean that I am alone with my thoughts. It’s horrible. I fear my own fear, the way it makes me think that I won’t make it through the day, much less through the week, and that I won’t have the strength to go through the experience of going through the pharmacy next month. Then the thoughts spin out of control, thinking that maybe I just won’t go anymore, but then my mental state will be even worse and I might downright lose it, and end up a raving lunatic wandering through the streets in my underwear or something.

 

Right this moment, I look at those thoughts and realize that they are not rational. That some of them are even kind of funny. But when the anxiety attacks come and sometimes escalate into panic, it is impossible for me to tell rationality from irrationality. My doctor has said that I need to try and stop the thoughts by asking them several questions, and I thought I might share them in case anybody finds them useful. He said that, as soon as the anxiety begins, I should ask:

1. What am I scared of? What is generating this bad feeling?

This question is important because it helps to isolate the thing that is making you miserable. In my case, it was the fear of having to deal with judgmental looks when I go to the pharmacy. But the real fear was being denied my medication.

2. Has the thing I feared happened in the past? If so, what is the probability that it will happen again in the future? Is it a realistic probability?

This is where it gets tricky for me, because although I have had some bad experiences in the past, none of them have escalated into what I actually fear, and it is not rational for me to think it will. Despite what the bad thoughts might say, I am not doing anything wrong, I will not be denied my medicine as long as I have the prescription for it, and if anyone is indeed judgmental or whatever then it’s their problem, not mine. There is no realistic probability of me being denied the medicine that I need, and so my worry is unfounded.

I find this is the hardest part to understand while an attack is going on because the only thing I can think of is that it will happen soon and it will happen again, and again and again. Even if it has never actually escalated to the part that I fear. It’s just so bad that I lose the ability to stop myself and say: you’ll be all right. Everybody has bad days. Everybody has tough things to do. It doesn’t mean you can’t do them. You will find the strength when the time comes. I have actually been rereading some of the entries I have made earlier here on this ‘story’, which is actually a journal. When I am deep in the pits, and I read the positive things I have written, it feels as if somebody else has written them. But this is why I am writing this out right now, so that present me can help future me in a way. Maybe.

3. What is the benefit of worrying about this thing? If there is no benefit, why not just let it go?

Sometimes worry is beneficial. It prepares you, makes you think and plan. But when it gets too overwhelming then worry becomes something bad. And when it becomes chronic, it is awful. It saps you of all the strength little by little, and I must remember not to let it burrow deep into my mind because then it’s harder to excise it. So, after isolating my worry and determining whether it’s rational or not, I must remember to think that worrying too much about it will backfire and make me suffer.

 

So anyway, that’s what I’ve been busy thinking the past couple days. As you can probably tell, I’m on a roller coaster of emotions several times an hour and it’s exhausting. I wrote all of this down to fix it in my mind, and also so I can reread it at a later date. The weather is also getting me down a little, since we are about to begin December, and it’s the double whammy of colder months and Christmas plus everything it represents. The sky is dreary, but I have to remember that the sun will come out sometime. And that spring follows winter as it always has (despite the nagging technicalities of my mind telling me that seasons are just a consequence of Earth’s axial tilt, which itself is an oddity as far as typical orbital mechanics go. Shut up, brain.) I’m going to continue fighting this, because GAD for me has become the main source of my misery, not so much the external circumstances which trigger it. I must remember what I said earlier about fear, and I must follow my doctor’s advice and trying to ask myself those three questions.

Blessings to you all, and thank you again for reading.

-Albert

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 9
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

You've outlined some great advice here.  I hope the new combination of meds helps.  And anyone that has the gall to judge you has the problem, not you.  It sounds like you're tackling your issues head-on and that's a very brave thing to do.  You'll come out of this much stronger for it.  :hug: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I continue to send you thoughts of support and hugs. The advice and questions you have been given seem sound and wise. No judgement from here, not ever. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I’m sending you thoughts and prayers. I’ve had of deep depression and panic attacks from a young age and couldn’t handle it. I was diagnosed as bipolar (probably only because I had mania and deep depression was caused by a high dose of Wellbutrin) but I was more depressed and had panic attacks. I’ve been treated inpatient twice and several instances of long term (mainly to get drugs right) outpatient day therapy (like school but treating you how to manage) when I was 21. 

 

One thing that helped was automatic thought records, something they taught a lot and it’s something that has helped me with panic attacks and some depression (although a lot of time I don’t know what causes it). Essentially you think about your situation, then the worst negative thought about it, think of your emotions and rate them from 1-100%, you think of an alternative to the situation, look back at your situation against the positive alternative, and finally you re-rate your emotions. If you learn it and do it enough you can work through it in your head.

 

Heres a link to automatic thought records and how to do them with an example worksheet.  https://www.psychpoint.com/mental-health/worksheets/automatic-thought-record/

 

Im glad your back and these posts are well written and reflective.  Your questions are great advice.

 

Another thing I recommend is getting this workbook: Thoughts and Feelings: Taking Control of Your Moods & Your Life.  It’s written by Matthew McKay, Martha Davis and Patrick Fanning. 

 

Finally just know your not alone and there are people out there that care about you - just look at these replies from strangers on the internet.

 

Hunter 

Edited by Hunter of Porn
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you all so much for all the wonderful messages and support. It was a rough weekend, but I'm still here and I look forward to today. It means a lot to me to know that my thoughts are heard, and even more to read your advice and your thoughts. I can't thank you all enough, though I'm certainly going to try. Best wishes to all,

 

-Albert

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..