Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 17. Chapter 17 - Four factors

These last few days have been challenging. The lack of sleep came out of nowhere and shook me up worse than I expected. I still don’t know what is causing it, although I am trying my best to isolate variables. In general, it seems as though I have kind of a window at night for falling asleep without issue. If I try to sleep either before or after that window, I have a lot of trouble. It happens particularly if I try to go to bed after 11 PM. Since I know it is already late, at least for me, I begin to worry even as I am trying to relax in order to sleep. That sparks my anxiety and once it gets going there is no turning it off. I have tried several ways to distract myself enough so that this doesn’t happen and I think I am beginning to develop some techniques.

But my life doesn’t revolve just around my sleep, and I’m not letting it do that. Yesterday was a special day for me because it was the day I slept the least in the almost 2 weeks now that I have been having trouble resting. Nevertheless, and even though I was absolutely panicky when I finally gave up and stood up around 6 AM or whatever, I decided that I was going to live my day as though the bad night had not happened.

It was easier said than done, of course, but I did my best. Something that helped me a lot, and which may perhaps help someone else, is the fact that, the evening before, I had drawn up what I call my “emergency morning plan”. This is a list of activities which are very simple, but which I thought about and considered that I might be able to do even in the morning when I am feeling most stressed out. I mentioned them yesterday in a comment – they are not big things, but rather things like brushing my teeth, making my bed, writing for a little bit on this journal, and eventually working up to what to me feels like bigger stuff, like leaving the house to take the dog out, having breakfast, and eventually leaving for the gym. I was physically tired and I felt weird yesterday, but I held tight to the plan and I followed every step. It was hard, sure, but it gave me structure. In the end, I was able to avoid something that scares me, which is having empty time that I don’t know how to fill. After I left for the gym, my day just fell into place, working, doing stuff that needed to be done around the house, and so on until the evening, when I realized that my anxiety levels had dropped to something like a six out of ten.

Strangely, after the morning, I didn’t experience a lot of tiredness during the day, even though I had slept for so little. I’m not complaining – it was good because I was able to perform well at my job and I had energy to do all the activities that I needed to do. I was thankful, and I even managed to watch a little bit of a show I like in the evening and laugh at the silly jokes. I tried, as best as I could, to replicate everything I had done a couple of days ago, when I was able to sleep for eight hours. It worked kind of halfway, since I was able to sleep about five hours straight, but even that is an improvement over yesterday.

As the day was progressing yesterday, I was experiencing a lot of anxiety and deep sadness, a sense of loss, and I was plain and simple just feeling horrible. But, after the gym, I decided to try a new tack to see whether I could change the way I thought about things. I remember the moment very clearly: I was walking back from the gym when I suddenly asked myself, hey, why are you feeling so bad? Why?

I found no answer. There was no one big thing causing me to feel so horrible. And then I told myself, and this is going to sound funny but I took inspiration from a comedy video StonyCreeker suggested I watch a couple of days ago, and I said to myself: Stop it! You’re okay, stop it!

I felt a bit silly but I repeated it a few times, very firmly. As the day went on, I repeated it again and again every time I felt the anxiety creeping back up. I kept telling myself that there was no one enormous reason for me to feel bad and that I was okay. I’m not sure whether it was me repeating something positive like that, or the fact that I was able to have a productive day, or the combination of both, but by the time the evening came around I was able to think back and analyze what is happening to me right now with a little bit of perspective, for which I am incredibly thankful.

It’s like this. I have identified that there are four main factors bringing me down at the moment. The first and biggest one is that I still haven’t come to terms with the loss of everything I had in the relationship which ended so suddenly and so violently. As time goes by, I am less and less in survival mode and it appears I have more time to think back on everything that happened, the good and the bad. It hurts. It hurts particularly when I remember the good things, the special things. I am very slow to trust and the fact that I felt in real physical danger from the person I trusted the most is something I still can’t understand. That bad memory stands in stark contrast to all the good memories I built together with that person over the years and I still can’t reconcile both realities. Part of my mind still hasn’t accepted everything that happened and is desperately clinging to the past, which hurts. Nevertheless, time is going by and, where maybe a month ago I would wake up every night crying from a dream about my relationship or having very sharp, intense thoughts of regret, longing, loss, and so on every few minutes, now the dreams come only some days and the bad thoughts are not as frequent.

Factor number two is the sleep thing. However, I have decided that, if needed, I will go back to taking sleep medication to help me rest. I will give it a few more days to see whether I can get things to stabilize on their own, but if not I do have a way to help myself sleep better. My psychiatrist agrees, and this thought gives me some measure of control over the bad nights I have been having. I will try to tough it out some more, just because I was doing so well even without the sleeping aid, and I would like to see whether it was some external factor which triggered the insomnia.

Number three is the fact that sometimes I don’t know how to fill my days. I am working a lot but over the past months I’ve developed a very strong fear of free time. Since now, for whatever reason, I can’t really spend a long time doing the activities I used to enjoy, like playing video games or watching television, let alone a movie, when I don’t have work to do I panic very quickly. I am working on this, too. Just like yesterday, and today as well, with my emergency morning plan. Little by little, I am giving new structure to my days. It feels as though I am building from the ground up because I had to move away from what I considered to be my home so suddenly, and in this new place I now live I do not have a trusty routine yet. It gives me anxiety, but it is also a new opportunity to rebuild my life around good habits, like the fact that I stopped drinking so much soda despite relying it for an entire year as a crutch to fight off low energy levels. Now, the foundations of my new life will be firmer.

Number four deals more with the future. I have always tended to obsess about the future and now it is no exception. Since I am barely getting by, day to day, it causes me fear and anxiety to know that I am not working towards some larger goal in life and it makes me sad to see that all I can do now is survive another day. Sometimes I will be harsh with myself and tell myself that I am pathetic, that I have become someone with a sad life who will never amount to anything anymore. I fight those thoughts, though, as best as I am able. And I am trying very hard to allow myself to understand that right now is a time of change and a time of hardship, but better days might be ahead – I don’t know, but I can have hope.

And so, last evening I was able to analyze these four factors and see that I am already working on solving number two and number three. It’s hard, but I have the tools to make them either disappear or become far less important in making me feel bad. Factor number one needs time and time alone, which I am willing to give it if only I can keep on learning how to be patient. And factor number four is something I really shouldn’t be worrying about at all, not right now. Therefore, as I told myself last morning, I don’t really have a gigantic reason to feel so bad, and so, in this moment that I feel anxious because it’s early morning, I’m going to tell myself:

Stop it! You’re okay!

Not sure if it’s going to work. The day looms huge ahead of me, and as always I’m scared I won’t make it through. But I have my plan and I’m going to stick to it. I’m going to try and remind myself that I’m okay. Maybe I will make this day a good one. Maybe this is the last tough stretch of road I have to get through before I reach the other side.

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Your emergency morning list sounds like a great idea.  Maybe you could come up with a list of things to do during those free times that cause so much anxiety? Just a thought.  I like your mantra.  This entry sounds more hopeful than they've been recently.  Here's another mantra for you... you got this!  :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you, Valkyrie! I realize I've been kind of down lately - I'm still not wholly over it, but I wanted to share my thought process as I fight the bad feelings and the insomnia. Every day is another small victory and I hope they'll add up over time, taking me to a better place in the end. I'm also developing new activities to do when I have free time, new things that I'd never considered, like simply going out for a walk. They help. Thank you so much for your support. :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Developing routines can be a  good coping tool. It's a good idea to have a variety of routines to choose from so you don't feel like you are in a rut. Walking is good for you overall and the exercise, just like working out at the gym, increases endorphin levels and helps you feel better in return. I'm glad to see the more positive attitude. It shows you are making real progress.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
35 minutes ago, albertnothlit said:

Thank you, Valkyrie! I realize I've been kind of down lately - I'm still not wholly over it, but I wanted to share my thought process as I fight the bad feelings and the insomnia. Every day is another small victory and I hope they'll add up over time, taking me to a better place in the end. I'm also developing new activities to do when I have free time, new things that I'd never considered, like simply going out for a walk. They help. Thank you so much for your support. :hug:

I commend you for sharing your journey and your thought process with us.  I wanted to tell you your 'emergency list' and way of getting through your day has inspired me.  There's a walking path near my house that I don't take full advantage of and when the weather warrants it, I'm going to implement a daily walking routine.  I have no excuses not to.  :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am heartened to hear about the 'emergency morning list' and that you have identified four factors to your difficulties. I hope what you describe will help ease the burden you carry. It can't be easy to share so much of yourself with everyone, and I admire you for doing so.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Thank you all for your nice comments and your encouragement. It’s really scary when you think you are doing better and then something happens and suddenly you feel awful again, but even though it happened, I reacted as well as I was able to and I think it is starting to pay off. It’s a little bit later in the morning today – I was able to sleep for nearly six hours straight, something for which I am enormously thankful. As soon as I decided to get out of bed I got started with my emergency morning plan. This is the third day I implement it, and it is quickly becoming a source of comfort and stability to know that I have a list of activities that I can do in order to get the day started, and which can also help me in the long run. My energy levels are also much better today. It’s so weird – I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that I seem to be getting very close to enough sleep even though it’s nowhere near the 10 to 12 hours I used to need a month ago. Not sure why it’s happened, but I need to be patient and collect more data points so that I can learn whether the insomnia is just a transient phase or something to be dealt, for example, with a sleeping aid. Today I am hopeful, though – the tendency appears to be towards enough rest, even if I’m having a hard time understanding that “enough rest” might be much less that I am used to.

The nights are still challenging but, thankfully, the awful anxiety that attacks right as I am falling asleep is nowhere to be found anymore and I hope it stays that way. I have found that having a routine to get ready for bed helps enormously, just like in the morning, although with a lot of flexibility mixed in so I don’t become dependent on a specific order of activities or else I don’t go to bed. The most important things I have found which helped me have to do with food, like avoiding eating in excess right before bed. I used to do this a lot before, to the point where I would already be in bed and I would sometimes get up and have a peanut butter sandwich before climbing into bed again. Now, I am working on becoming disciplined and having my last little bite of food no later than 8 PM, so that by the time I go to bed around ten or eleven, there is no food, sugary or otherwise, keeping me awake. It sounds like a very small change to make, but it has helped me a lot and it goes hand-in-hand with another food change I have made, which is to have my main meal of the day around 3 PM instead of at dinnertime, which is what I used to do before. I used to barely eat anything throughout the day and then stuff myself silly around five or 6 PM – but now, I’m eating smaller portions throughout the day and I’m barely hungry most of the time. I don’t know why it works or whether it only works for me, but so far the results have been good and I think this change in diet is one of the factors that is helping me deal with the insomnia. I’ve also not fully discounted the fact that this bout of sleeping trouble might be partially caused by the rather sudden way in which I stopped drinking Coke throughout the day, which I’ve alluded to before. It’s week three since I gave it up and, although I may sometimes feel a little bit of, hey, a glass of soda would be just the pick me up you need right now for the little kick of caffeine and whatever else is in that beverage, for the most part I’m not missing it. My body might, though. Who knows – there are so many variables at play, but I think I’m on the right track.

Valkyrie, I’m so happy to hear you’re considering a daily walking routine. You’ve also inspired me – I haven’t forgotten the progressive relaxation you suggested and tonight I tried again, though I suspect I still suck at it. Nevertheless, it gave me something to focus on once again and it’s nice to have that, especially if you wake up from a bad dream like I often do.

Being able to share my thoughts with all of you has become one of the cornerstones of my path to recovery, and I can’t thank you all enough for your support through this difficult time. I don’t think I’m going to ever get tired of saying it: thank you.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
30 minutes ago, albertnothlit said:

You’ve also inspired me – I haven’t forgotten the progressive relaxation you suggested and tonight I tried again, though I suspect I still suck at it. Nevertheless, it gave me something to focus on once again and it’s nice to have that, especially if you wake up from a bad dream like I often do

If it's giving you something to focus on, then it's doing its job.  :hug:   

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I strongly doubt eliminating Coke has had any connection with your insomnia. If anything, eliminating caffiene would tend to make it easier to sleep. Insomnia can pop up without any real direct cause. It's why it can be so difficult to be rid of. It sounds like you are on the right track. The biggest thing is keeping a positive attitude and take everything one day ata time.

 

BTW - I quit drinking Coke back in November. I had been drinking a 2 liter a day for years. I switched to water. I have a cup of tea or coffee in the morning and that's all the caffiene I get. Caffeine never really affected me much. I haven't missed the Coke or had any cravings for it.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I also drank quite a lot of Coke and for the longest time I thought I would never be able to stop drinking so much because I grew to depend on it, or thought I did. Thankfully, one of the good things to come out of this entire horrible experience is the fact that some of the things which used to seem so daunting to me, like my tendency to overeat or overindulge in soda, are now essentially pushovers. I don’t miss the soda one bit!

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, albertnothlit said:

I also drank quite a lot of Coke and for the longest time I thought I would never be able to stop drinking so much because I grew to depend on it, or thought I did. Thankfully, one of the good things to come out of this entire horrible experience is the fact that some of the things which used to seem so daunting to me, like my tendency to overeat or overindulge in soda, are now essentially pushovers. I don’t miss the soda one bit!

 

 

Yes. I came to the realization I was using Coke literally as a meal supplement and that was simply stupid since it has zero nutritional value. Now I eat something like fruit or nuts instead. I wasn't what I would consider overweight, but just eliminating the excess sugar has shed some pounds off my waist and more importantly, I feel better.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..