Jump to content
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My journey through pain - 23. Chapter 23 - Patience

It’s hard to be patient. As days turn into weeks which turn into months and still there are times, morning times particularly, when I wake up literally shaking with fear brought on by a nightmare or a random thought, it’s hard to be patient. The anxiety never leaves me entirely. It is always there, whispering, or sometimes shouting. It goes with me everywhere I go. It casts a shadow over my day. I fight it, of course. I have even won some battles against it, but when I feel like I do right now, terrified of nothing in particular and of everything at the same time, it’s like I can’t really remember how it was that I could have felt victorious, ever.

Maybe I’m speaking in circles – I think I am. There is no linear narrative to my journey like there would be in a story, with a beginning, a crisis, a resolution, and an ending. This is more like a tangled web of crises and partial victories, of two steps forward and one step back. Sometimes two steps back. The process is complex and many-faceted. I feel trapped in the middle of it all and it’s scary to know that sometimes the panic attacks will threaten to come even if the previous day was okay, simply because of a bad dream.

Last night I had one such dream. It was about loss – the loss of a relationship which lasted so long and which I thought would last for a lifetime. I have been working through the horrible way in which my relationship, my marriage, ended so suddenly, but I have not been able to yet work through everything else. My life has changed in so many ways, permanently. I live in a different place now. I have a different job. I rebuild my life as a single man for the first time ever, since my relationship lasted for the entirety of my adult life up until it ended a few months ago. My ex was my first love, my first boyfriend, my first everything, really. My life and his were intertwined so deeply, so thoroughly, that even now I still feel adrift sometimes, as though I had lost an incredibly important part of myself that there is no way of ever getting back. I feel my own loss, but worse, sometimes I feel his, what it must be like, and it kills me to know he must also be in terrible emotional pain. He has tried, again and again, to seek me out somehow, be it only a phone call – but I can’t. I can’t talk to him or go back to that relationship even though sometimes I wish I could, because it was not good for either of us. It was hurting us, particularly me. As part of the terrible fear I felt of being alone and of ending the only romantic relationship I had ever known, I allowed many bad things to happen. I allowed our conflicts to escalate, I allowed us to grow apart, and I allowed actual violence to take place on both sides…

There is so much regret. There is so much longing. A little while ago, as I woke up from the dream, I blinked in the darkness and tried not to scream. Negative emotions swirl around in my head and they chased themselves in circles just like my thoughts. I’m finding it hard to rebuild my life, my days, and my own self-image while fighting all the time against the mental issues that hinder me so. Some of the evenings during this week I have felt almost calm, which is something for which there are not enough words of gratitude for me to express my thanks. But most mornings I still feel, to a greater or lesser degree, just like I feel today – trapped in a maze of fear and depression and memory and sadness and confusion. I have no control over my dreams, and so, it’s horrible to think that I am essentially helpless against the random vagaries of my mind, which might create dreams like I had last night with no warning, interrupting my sleep, making the beginning of my day such a painful one. What to do? I do what I can – I follow my emergency plan for mornings, I write in my journal. I tell myself that time is on my side, that every day it hurts just a little bit less even if I can’t see the change from moment to moment or from day to day. But the problem is that sometimes I grow desperate. Sometimes, knowing that all I can do is wait it out both terrifies and infuriates me. If only there was a quick and surefire way of dealing with all of this emotional instability for good, I would do it, no matter how hard. But there are no quick solutions, there is only steady effort, progress… And patience.

When something hurts, all I want is to make the hurt go away as fast as I can. If I have a headache I take an aspirin. But there are no aspirins for a broken heart. This last Valentine’s Day was awful because not only was I constantly reminded of the fact that I did not have a relationship anymore, which in itself is not something intrinsically negative, but what really hurt was the fact that I realized with great sadness that over the last few years, I had barely even celebrated the day with my ex. It’s like our relationship had already been over for some time, only neither of us had wanted to admit it, and had that horrible night of violence not happened, forcing me to leave… Would I still be there, with him? Would I be happy, or even more miserable than I am now? I am told by friends and family that I am better off now, on my own, away from physical and emotional abuse. I know this to be true, but sometimes the inpatient and childlike part of my mind which wants everything right away asks, then why do I still feel like crap? Why do I have these horrible dreams that make me feel so sad, both for myself and for my ex? Why can’t I fix this quickly?

I need to be patient. I need to take one day at a time. I need to learn to let go and I need to truly trust that time is my friend. It’s hard, though

Copyright © 2018 albertnothlit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You’re so right. Patience, though necessary, is very difficult. Yet I admire you for the patience you have displayed. You know that I send you hugs; may you feel them and help you sustain your efforts. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Life can be capricious and unfair. It can present us with unreasonable challenges. How we cope with those challenges is what defines us. Helen Keller was presented with monumental challenges as a young girl. If she had not reached back to try to cope and understand the world around her, she would merely be an unknown statistic rather than a beacon of hope for others.

 

You compare your issues with writing a novel. Real life is more complex than any novel. Yet we are all writing our life's own novel. How we choose to resolve the plot and conflicts will define our lives. Some of it will be boring and repetitive and some of it will be down right scary, but we have to slog through it to get the resolutions we desire. I believe you are making good choices and dealing with new challenges well as they come. Stay on course and maintain confidence in yourself. You are intelligent and talented. You can do this.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thank you guys, thank you as always, I’m trying to hang in there and for the most part I think I’m doing it, but it’s terrifying to have had relatively smooth sailing and then for the waters to get all choppy and wild again. There’s no rhyme or reason to the comings and goings of my anxiety that I can tell. Whenever I have trouble sleeping for any reason it makes it worse, like last night. My anxiety levels are pretty high as a result today, at least for now. I know that I have to get started the day, get moving, do what I need to do, and anxiety will go down. The panic attacks are so debilitating, though. I just had one earlier today and it definitely wasn’t fun.

However, yesterday I was talking about all this with someone close to me and, looking at the entire last week in perspective, I was able to realize that in general I’m actually doing better, if only because, despite the fact that it was a particularly busy week with lots of unexpected things and activities which would normally stress me out very much, I was nevertheless able to just carry on and do what needed to be done. I have mentioned before that one of my biggest fears is simply not being able to function anymore, not to be able to carry on with daily activities, but last week, despite the challenges, I proved to myself that I am able to adapt to challenging situations and things were definitely a net positive over previous weeks. That’s definitely good. The hard part is remembering that when I am feeling down. Challenging the bad thoughts and the insidious sensation that I am drowning in my own worry is so hard sometimes. Something scary about it all is that at times it seems like I kind of let myself get anxious to the point where a panic attack is coming. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it’s like this part of me wants to get to a crisis, wants to just give up and to allow the anxiety to get out of control. It’s messed up. It requires an effort of will to kind of steer myself away from that and into productive activities which will hopefully distract me enough so that I’m not teetering over the edge of an episode anymore.

I’m kind of sad today because I’m honestly nearing the end of my patience I think, and I don’t want to. But it’s been so long since I’ve had an easy day… I remember years ago, when I would simply wake up, no big deal, go through the day, go to bed, repeat. I don’t understand how I could have done that. Every morning is so challenging now that I simply don’t understand how it could have been that once I would wake up feeling neutral about things in general, or sometimes even good.

I have to keep the good stuff in mind. I have to keep moving forward. Sometimes it kind of feels like I am running along a frozen lake with ice underneath my feet just strong enough to take a single step of mine before it cracks. The only way I have not to plunge down into the icy waters of panic is to keep running, but all the while I’m so worried that my strength is going to run out eventually, which terrifies me, which in turn saps my strength even more.

Sometimes, this entire situation sucks. Doesn’t mean I’m giving up, though. Not by a long shot. Today is a busy day and I’m going to face it head on, like I always do. I still have emotional strength left. And I’m doing better all the time – I just need to remember that if I can.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..