Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,711 Words
  • 2,752 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 44. Chapter 44

Kieran closed the door behind him. Slinking through his apartment, his mind was swimming. Beta… to Arric? He sighed and went for the coffee machine, but halted before he could press a button. Looking at the device only intensified his thoughts. Can I even handle it? I mean, Walter says I can. Why else would he nominate me?

Hell, I’m dating the Alpha! That’s already a conflict of interest. If I took the position, any suggestions I give Arric would cloud his judgement of others’. Would he take Shea’s or Pierce’s seriously if I advised against them?

Then there’s my job. I don’t know if I can be the beta and teach. Clearing out the negatives, the wolf approached the concept with an open mind. Okay, I could ask the university to drop me to part-time and have Jeannine take over the childrens study at the library. That would leave me enough money to pay rent and the utilities, and the pack’s pay would cover any other expenses. That route is possible, and I’d still be committing enough time for both the students and the pack.

Would Arric even want me to keep teaching? I know Walter keeps pretty busy with Arric. Clutching the counter’s edge, he clenched his eyes shut. I don’t know!

A knock at the door startled him. As he approached, he recognized the scent. Opening it, he saw Walter. “Beta Haynes.”

The smile on Walter’s face was apparent, “You know better than that, Kieran. May I come in? I need to apologize to you.”

Confused, Kieran furrowed his brow, “Why? I… uh, come in.”

As the beta entered, Walter smirked, “Because I should have consulted you first before openly nominating you in front of Arric. I didn’t mean to insist on combining your relationship and pack responsibilities.”

“It’s not that. I… just wasn’t expecting it. Arric and I talked a little about our working relationship, but it’s mostly been setting boundaries.”

Walter took a seat on the couch, “That’s important! I’m curious; why weren’t you expecting it?”

Kieran chuckled nervously, “I figured you’d be his beta forever. That, or Pierce would get it.”

“My nomination for Pierce was merely a formality. Arric and I both know he wouldn’t take it, even for the pay raise. That bear's already content schmoozing with the human leaders.”

“And Jaime?”

The older wolf sighed, “I was grasping for straws on that one. I think he’d manage, but Arric wouldn’t be fond of his indecisiveness.”

Biting the inside of his cheek, Kieran closed his eyes, “Leaving me, huh?”

Walter readjusted himself in the seat, “Kieran, you’re the brightest in the pack. You know more than I could ever imagine! Underneath that slouchy persona of yours is the most powerful brain I can think of. That’s what being a beta is all about; thinking for our leader when he can’t find a solution.”

“You’re… you’re just trying to butter me up.”

“Like hell!” Standing, the man walked up to the scribe, “You know the responsibilities of my role?”

Exhaling, Kieran nodded, “The beta is the mastermind. They run things behind the scenes.”

“Wrong!” The statement captured Kieran’s full attention. “The Pack Beta is a protector of the Alpha, just like the enforcer. It’s Shea’s job to protect Arric from physical harm. It’s mine to guard his reputation.”

Walter pointed at the door, “I almost blew it back at the hospital! I froze. A proper Pack Beta would never freeze when it comes to their job. Arric told me what you did meanwhile. You thought of Anton. You gunned it when Arric didn’t think about what the repercussions would be if that wolf died at Morgan’s hand. You pursued Morgan right alongside Arric. You held back the frightened nursing staff from interfering.

“You did my job. Plain and simple.”

Kieran swallowed. He’s right. Recalling his actions, he stuck by Arric’s side through the whole ordeal. It was like I was on autopilot. My brain was moving in the right direction, and Arric seemed to be clueless in the matter. “But—”

“Ain’t no buts about it. I know you’re about to throw your work as an excuse, and while it’s a good one, you’re already the Pack Scribe and Historian. You already have time set aside to attend every meeting and function. Being the beta is no different. You don’t have to be at Arric’s side for every moment. Do you know how many times that man texts me and the simplest reply is the solution?”

Blinking, Kieran was stupefied.

Walter didn’t back down, “Kieran, I’m only going to tell you this once. You are the only one in this pack I would be comfortable enough to hand you the keys to the job right now.”

Right now? “You… really think I can be a beta?”

“Without a doubt. There’s no better answer.” The elder walked to the door, “I need to get back to Arric, but I wanted to tell you my intentions. I hope you think about my nomination.” Walter left, leaving Kieran alone once more.

Combing through his hair, the wolf sat. Motionless for nearly a minute, Kieran could only think. He didn’t want to disappoint either Walter or Arric. Sighing, he grabbed his phone. With a deep breath, he started a call.

“Are you okay, Key?”

Hearing his boyfriend’s voice was welcoming. It’s softer than whenever he’s talking to someone else. “Yeah, I’m chill.”

“You don’t sound it. I’m guessing Walt came to see you?”

“Yeah, he did.” Kieran walked over to the coffee maker and started its process. “He gave it to me straight. I’m just… I needed someone to talk to about it.”

“And you chose me? I mean, I would think I’d be biased if I were to give an opinion.”

“No, I don’t think so. You said the decision was completely up to me, but as the Alpha, you act for the pack’s betterment. Do… do you really think I’d be a good beta?”

A hefty sigh came over the line, “Not speaking as your boyfriend, you’re the only real option. You remember everything you read, hear, and see. I’d be a fool to ignore your abilities.”

After a moment of hesitation, Kieran’s voice cracked, “And as my boyfriend?”

“I want you to be happy. Regardless if you choose to take the position or not, I’m here for you.”

He swallowed, holding back his emotions. “Th-thank you. I need to get ready for my study session. Can I see you tonight?”

***

Sent out on another patrol, Shelly and Saige journeyed to the small town west of the Kettle, Kewaskum. The small town was cleared, but with Priscilla’s recent attack and the failed attempt to track her, it was obvious a second pass was needed. “It’s a decent village.”

“Yeah,” Shelly agreed, “I thought about retiring here. The community is nice, land is plentiful, and close enough to the Kettle to hunt in.”

“It’s a bit secluded. I see why you like it. I’d settle down with a few pups, given the chance.”

The commander chuckled, “You make it sound like it’s not a possibility.”

Saige shrugged, “I’ve tried, but I can’t find a stud. Why do all the good looking ones play for the away team?”

“Ha! You wanted to climb Shea or something?”

“Girl, you’re thinking too small!” Saige raised an eyebrow, “Please tell me you heard.” When Shelly squinted, the lower-ranked wolf’s jaw dropped, “Let’s just say I’m jealous of Kieran.”

Kieran? He finally nab someone? “Who? Anton? Orson?”

“Think bigger.”

“Bigger than Orson? You can’t get bigger than that hunk of man-meat.”

“Not like that! I meant rank!”

Shelly grimaced, “No… Shea wouldn’t cheat on his mate.”

Palming herself in the face, Saige whispered, “Alpha Claude.”

“What?” Her screech caught the attention of the passing pedestrians, “There’s no way! Arric is totally straight.”

“Not from what Pam told me. Her and the FP squad saw Arric cantering off with Kieran’s saddled ass!”

Shelly was stunned. “I mean… I guess the alpha likes brains over beauty.” As Saige started laughing, she joined in. I’m so jealous of that dope! To be courted by the alpha!

Putting the pack gossip aside, they entered the last public stop. After speaking with the customer service manager, the duo got confirmation. Priscilla was there in the past two days. She’s a fool. Being close to Sheb is ballsy, but I get it. Kewaskum was already searched, so a second passing might not have crossed their minds.

And it makes sense. If she got to Anton, she had to be hunkered down close by. "Let's check the wooded area west of the community park, then the one east of town before we hit that large creek." Saige nodded and made their way back to the car.

Reaching the park, they walked into the woods. Saige scanned the area before shouldering off her bag. They stripped and shifted one by one, with Saige carrying the small luggage. After sprinting several hours, the small area was clear of any short-term encampment. Reverting to their human form, they drove to the other side of town. The ladies parked on the side of a small road, giving enough space for any passing vehicles. Repeating themselves, they ran into the forest.

With a bigger area to scan, Saige and Shelly fanned out, making sure they were within each other's sight. Keeping a slow pace, the pair was thorough. On their third vertical pass, Shelly spotted a tent. Darting for cover behind a tree she snorted, signaling for Saige's attention.

She examined the camp. Camouflaged tent, no cooler, no fire. Squinting, something caught her eye. A backpack? This doesn't look good. Everything signed for a solo camper with no need for artificial warmth or cooking supplies. This belongs to a shifter.

Cautiously, they approached. Shelly halted, recognizing a mistake in their pathing. We're not downwi—

A rustling of leaves signaled an approach, but as she turned, a blunt force knocked her down. Her fight or flight instincts kicked into overdrive as she felt a furry pressure on top. Shelly snarled and saw the coat. Prisc—

Just as the commander got her maw around Priscilla's throat, the opponent's sharp fangs dug into hers.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 24
  • Wow 8
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I'm a little confused by this downwind 'mistake.' When hunting, you want to be downwind of game so they can't smell you. In their position, they should be getting the scent of this camp. Have I said how much I hate cliffies? Well, I do.

Now to Kieran's dilemma. It doesn't speak well for pack pay scale that Kieran is hesitating over taking the Beta position because it will hit him in the pocket. The Alpha living in his manor doesn't seem to be lacking money and there hasn't been any indication Walter does anything else. So what are we missing?

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

It's much more than merely Arric's manor house. He hasn't been seen to do anything else either and neither does Shea. I would much rather believe Kieran isn't yet aware of all the extra perks of a higher position in the pack than it doesn't pay much.

I'll be taking this into consideration for future chapter content. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This is getting dangerous. I'll have to continue reading to make sure things turn out better. They probably made the mistake because they were thinking of Arric and Key togethereyebrows flirt GIF by Hayley Kiyoko 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Great chapter!  I love Kieran's "crisis" over why he should or should not be Beta.  Arric solved that crisis for him.  Now all Key needs to do is see his own potential, his own worth.  He really is perfect for the job.   Another cliffhanger!!  Hahaha...  Will Shelly succumb to Priscilla's fangs? Or will Saige be there to save the day?  

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hellsheild said:

This is getting dangerous. I'll have to continue reading to make sure things turn out better. They probably made the mistake because they were thinking of Arric and Key togethereyebrows flirt GIF by Hayley Kiyoko 

I mean... I'd be distracted by that thought. :whistle:

23 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

Great chapter!  I love Kieran's "crisis" over why he should or should not be Beta.  Arric solved that crisis for him.  Now all Key needs to do is see his own potential, his own worth.  He really is perfect for the job.   Another cliffhanger!!  Hahaha...  Will Shelly succumb to Priscilla's fangs? Or will Saige be there to save the day?  

Glad you liked the chapter, Patch! I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapter...

  • Love 2
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Just sayin.....

Basset Hound Water GIF by Four Rest Films

I probably need my eyes checked, but what is that falling over the waterfall?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I probably need my eyes checked, but what is that falling over the waterfall?

Looks more like flies away to me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I probably need my eyes checked, but what is that falling over the waterfall?

@drpaladin, I'm reminded of the old joke about watching a bus taking a group of lawyers to a convention as it plunges over a cliff, only to meet a fiery ending. As the shock and horror wear off, regret settles in as it becomes known there were empty seats...If my sources are correct, that was a bunch of writers who abuse cliffhangers going over the waterfall, with plenty of room for at least one more....just sayin....

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
22 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

@drpaladin, I'm reminded of the old joke about watching a bus taking a group of lawyers to a convention as it plunges over a cliff, only to meet a fiery ending. As the shock and horror wear off, regret settles in as it becomes known there were empty seats...If my sources are correct, that was a bunch of writers who abuse cliffhangers going over the waterfall, with plenty of room for at least one more....just sayin....

Aww... I thought it was Underdog. I've been looking for years.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Dan South said:

An Alpha / Beta couple? 🤨

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

What can I say? Alpha/beta couples are adorably cute together. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..