Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,070 Words
  • 2,373 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 46. Chapter 46

The sound of water flowing broke through his slumber. He mumbled and rose in a groggy state, trying to find the source of the noise. Lifting his head, Kieran squinted. The sunlight peeking through the curtains were not welcome, but the hulking man approaching was. "Hey," he whispered.

Arric smirked, "Mornin'. Go back to sleep. It's still pretty early."

The scribe nodded and rolled away, nuzzling his pillow with genuine love. The comforter shifted behind him and a weight approached. A warm body pressed against his back, forcing a hum of approval. "Can't. Once I'm up, I'm up."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah. Better than usual, actually. You?"

Arric's arm draped over Kieran's side, gently pulling on it. "Same. You kept me warm through the night."

Kieran chuckled, "At least you don't snore."

"And if I did?"

"I think I could've managed." He rolled over and examined the alpha's face. Arric's hazel eyes were half-open, blinking often. Kieran was perplexed. He has a genuine interest in me. "Arric?"

"Hmm?"

"Why me? I know you said I'm pretty forward, but—”

A finger laced his cheek, silencing him. A steady laugh was muffled behind Arric’s lips. “You interest me and my wolf.”

“I-Interest?”

The alpha hummed, “I’m not sure when it started. When you speak, a lot of people miss out on the dedication behind your words. I’ve been paying attention for a while now, and I want to know more about you,” Arric’s head inched closer and whispered, “Mentally and physically.”

Kieran realized he was swooning over the lustful words. The alpha had laid down intentions for their relationship. He wants me like that? The warning Arric gave him earlier reappeared. An alpha’s emotions can spread to others. “Arric, what do—”

His sentence was cut off as lips landed on his. The alpha’s parted and Kieran could taste the remnants of toothpaste. His body melted. The longer they kissed, the more Kieran wanted contact. Just as he whimpered, any presence of Arric disappeared and the covers shifted. Breathless, he watched the chiseled body walk away. “Arric?”

Arric ran a hand through his untamed hair and sighed, “Sorry. I… I needed to back off.”

“Is it something I did?”

“No!” The large man spun on his heels, visibly irritated. “Uh… no, it’s nothing you’ve done. If I’m being honest, I had to stop myself.”

Kieran lifted from his position. He understood. “Your emotions, right? If you kept going, then… I wouldn’t have been able to say no.” Looking down, he felt his legs shiver. If he didn’t stop, then we could’ve had sex. Kieran took a deep breath. I can’t tell if I want that right now!

“Key.” Snapping up, he saw a thin smile on Arric’s face. “I hope I didn’t step over a line.”

Shaking his head, Kieran said, “No, you didn’t.”

“I think…” Sighing, the alpha seemed to be genuinely confused.

Something clicked in his mind. The scribe quickly stood and kept a calm demeanor. “Arric, if I can offer a suggestion. I believe I need to be the constant for the physical aspect of our relationship.”

He waited patiently for the alpha’s response.

Arric snorted and whispered, “Didn’t expect to see that side of you until the council meeting. You’re right. Anytime one of us wants to take the next step, it has to go through you.”

Kieran swallowed. An immense pressure was put on his shoulders. I decide when… He shook his head. “That’s not fair to you!”

“And my hormones aren’t fair to you, Key. If things start to get hot and heavy, I’ll need to stop unless we talk about it beforehand.” Arric crossed his arms and snarled, “I won’t take you when you aren’t thinking clearly!”

The air was tense. Kieran knew Arric was correct, but still felt the relationship was lopsided. Regardless, he smiled. It means a lot that he has control. I doubt many alphas could stop themselves in the heat of the moment. “Thanks. I didn’t mean to get all stuffy.”

“You weren’t. I can tell part of your wolf is accepting your future role. Over time, your personality will balance out.” Arric turned and said, “I’ll start a pot. It should wake up Shea and Cyn. Maybe we can go out for breakfast.”

The two got dressed and ventured to the kitchen, but heard shuffled footsteps from upstairs. “Sounds like they’re up already.”

Coming around the corner was Shea, followed by the cernunnos. The deer’s disheveled hair and blushed cheeks made Kieran smirk, but knew better than to comment. Wow! I didn’t hear a thing! I wonder if Cyn’s shifting isn’t the only thing that’s silent. “Morning, little dude! Alpha’s thinking about heading out for breakfast.”

After a brief discussion between the three lycan, they settled on a trip to Parkside. With Kieran driving, Arric took several calls. Despite the alpha’s serious tone, Kieran caught subtle glances and grins from him. Eavesdropping, he took in as much information as possible. Rogier’s search team came up dry in Green Bay, but that’s no surprise. Eike wouldn’t hide in a place he’s committed crime in. I honestly doubt he’s in the Kettle either.

What’s bothering me the most is how quiet Milwaukee has been. They’ve done thorough searches with the SFBI, but no reported incidents of former-prey shifter-related crimes. The city’s within driving distance, so it’s hard to believe Eike, Marric, and Hauser steered clear.

Arriving, the four took Arric’s preferred booth in the rear. As they glossed over the menu, Kieran voiced his concerns, “Where’s Milwaukee in all this, Alpha?”

“Donovan’s been keeping his nose out of the rogue mess. He’s been abiding by the SFBI’s searches and inquiries, but we don’t get much cooperation out of him with typical pack business.”

Fingering the loop of his mug, Kieran scoffed, “Is that usual? You would think with murderers running loose, he'd do more than cooperate. Has he always been like that?”

“Kind of. He can be bull-headed over some political—” Arric’s body went still. He swiftly pulled his phone and started tapping. “So stupid…”

Shea’s face showed concern as he whispered, “Alpha?”

The alpha was quiet as he brought the phone to his ear. “Agent Wendel. What do you know about Alpha Donovan?”

Kieran’s heart raced. He wasn’t aware of inter-pack relations, especially what went on between the Pack Alphas. Arric must’ve put some pieces together.

“I’m not one to put suspicion on an ally, but if you could do a little snooping in their police records… yes, with former-prey victims, particularly the unsolved cases… I’m glad you think the same, Agent. Happy hunting.” Arric set the phone aside and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Wendel has his thoughts on Donovan as well. Apparently, he hasn’t been the most forthcoming with the feds.”

Shea’s fists were clenched as he barely muttered, “What does that mean?”

“Easy, Farren. I doubt the man’s been hiding Eike, if that’s what you’re thinking. I only made that call because I know Don wasn’t too fond of the FP laws when they were first introduced. Things changed when all three of the packs’ populations surged from the inhabitation petitions.

"It's just a hunch, but if I were a former-prey alpha, I'd be more wary in Milwaukee."

Kieran sipped from his mug. Setting it down, he whispered, "Smart. Have the SFBI handle it so you don't harm your rep."

Arric grinned. "Now you're thinking like a beta."

Over the course of their meal, the three lycan continued to make plans. Until any intel came regarding Eike, Shea would remain at Arric's and direct the hunting squads. After his conversations with the university and the library, Kieran could start Cyn's education itinerary and preliminary lessons. The idea of teaching the buck put his mind at ease. I know I’m not quitting my job, but doing this’ll fill the void.

***

“Alpha?”

The soft voice brought his eyes up. He smiled as he saw Kodan. “Kody! What can I do you for?”

“Hauser Muell’s transfer went smoothly. He’s been brought here, just as you asked.”

Ken nodded and rose from his office chair. “Bring him here. I’d like you here with me, if ya don’t mind.”

His beta left. Sighing, he recalled Claude’s warning. This young’n is pretty broken. He’s committed crimes and pleaded himself guilty already. A lot’s been revealed in a short amount of time. I’m just worried he’s holding back more info. Huffing, he held himself up by pressing onto the desk. Sorry Arric, but I can’t play nice with the kid. He murdered. That makes him an adult, and those families need closure.

The clanking of chains broke his concentration. Straightening himself, Ken pulled his pants up by the belt, ensuring his uniform was tucked in. The scent of fear was growing. Wow! That broken, huh?

Seeing the suspect for the first time, Ken was comforted to see him in cuffs, orange jumpsuit, and collar. The man shuffled in with an officer’s hand on his shoulder. Holding up a hand, the alpha signalled for them to stop. “That’ll be fine. He can’t go anywhere.” The officer bared his neck and exited, leaving Ken, Kodan, and Hauser in the room. “Hauser Muell, do you know why you’re here?”

The sulking man barely acknowledged him with a nod. “Yes, Alpha Rogier.”

“You murdered two members of my pack. Their families want answers.”

Hauser's breath was shaky as he whispered, “I… I accept my fate. Whatever I can do to make things right.”

Ken snarled, “Make things right? You took two lives! They can’t come back!” Despite his anger rising, he studied the younger man’s face. He isn’t flinching! No fear? Arric’s message said he pissed the floor! He walked out from behind the desk and lowered himself. When he saw the unwavering stare to the floor, Ken understood.

This kid’s guilt is pure. He actually regrets it. Ken bit his cheek. Claude’s right on this one. He’ll serve his time, but rehab’s needed if he’s going to make it. He turned to Kodan. “Kody. Contact the rehab facility downtown and get with a psychiatrist willing to work with a prisoner.”

Kodan stammered, “Y-yes, sir.” The beta stepped outside the door frame, but kept Hauser in his line of sight.

Ken leaned against his desk, right in front of Hauser. “Look at me.” Slowly, the lycan lifted his head. The eyes were clearly bloodshot, but no tears had recently fallen. “Don’t get me wrong; you'll be held accountable for your actions. But like your alpha, I believe you’ve been led astray. As alpha of the slain members, I hereby sentence you with two counts of murder. Over the next fifty years, you’ll be kept in pack penitentiary. During this time, I suggest you make use of the help given to you, and learn to be a better man.

“Before I send you off, I want to ask you… man to man,” Ken knelt once more and spoke to the soulless eyes, “is there anything else that’ll help your case?”

He expected fidgets or long pauses. Ken had him pegged. This kid knows something.

But Hauser simply shook his head. “Eike kept me in the dark, for the most part.”

“C’mon—”

“No!” The prisoner twitched. The alpha smelled the emotions pouring off the lycan. He could almost feel the mix wafting in the room. “There isn’t any more! That bastard may have brought me into his sick life, but damn it! I don’t know anymore than what I’ve said to Alpha Claude and those agents.”

Ken exhaled slowly and whispered, “I understand that, but the tiniest detail, even if you think it’s unimportant, will lead us to him. What he eats, where he’s been, and anything he’s ever said to you.” Gesturing to Kodan, Ken pointed a thumb over his shoulder. “That’s my beta. You’re going to go with him, and you’ll dictate all interactions you had with Delta Thomas, got it? If you say something that leads us to him, I’ll be inclined to knock off some time.”

Hauser bent over and clutched his hands together. After a swift sigh, he nodded. Kodan stepped forward and led the prisoner out. Feeling a little tense, Ken circled around the desk and opened a drawer, retrieving a flask. Taking a swig, he let the scotch burn his throat. I wonder how long it’ll take.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 25
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Damn, that's a lot of heat for one chapter. It's always fun to put a beta in charge of a relationship, and Kieran and Arric are going to have a heck of a time trying to figure out that balance.

I think Hauser is probably relieved to have such a long sentence. He needs this punishment as an atonement for his actions.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Another great chapter. Arric and Kieran’s relationship develops more with some rules of engagement.  Interesting possible lead with another previous associate of Eike being guilty and needing rehabilitation. Hopefully there is a clue to track him down.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

Damn, that's a lot of heat for one chapter. It's always fun to put a beta in charge of a relationship, and Kieran and Arric are going to have a heck of a time trying to figure out that balance.

I think Hauser is probably relieved to have such a long sentence. He needs this punishment as an atonement for his actions.

You know me; I like heat! This alpha/beta relationship is very humorous to me. I'm sure Kieran is going to be hesitant, but I'm interested to see if he gives in to Arric's alpha-ness.

I agree. Hauser now has some time to think about his actions. He seems like one to make use of his time in prison.

3 minutes ago, VBlew said:

Another great chapter. Arric and Kieran’s relationship develops more with some rules of engagement.  Interesting possible lead with another previous associate of Eike being guilty and needing rehabilitation. Hopefully there is a clue to track him down.

I'm interested to see if Hauser brings up anything useful. I don't think it'll be long before Kieran and Arric throw the rules out of the window. :gikkle:

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I love how effortlessly Kieran stepped into the beta role. It makes me curious about the role of the individual within the pack and the spirit of the pack itself. Kieran accepted a nomination but not the actual title and responsibilities until midway through this chapter, but it seems like the pack's spirit (for lack of a better term) accepted him before then. It's almost like the will of the pack is an entity unto itself and what it desires is then passed down to the pack members.

In keeping with that, something tells me it isn't just Arric's wolf who is interested in Kieran. I think the pack as a whole and the collective will acknowledged Kieran's accomplishments and how well he balances the alpha's tendencies. The minute the previous beta considered stepping down, I think his replacement was already decided.

You know, this foursome -- Arric as alpha, Kieran as beta, Shea as gamma/enforcer, and Cyn as unofficial delta -- is formidable as fuck. A pack couldn't ask for more well-rounded leadership.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Danners said:

I love how effortlessly Kieran stepped into the beta role. It makes me curious about the role of the individual within the pack and the spirit of the pack itself. Kieran accepted a nomination but not the actual title and responsibilities until midway through this chapter, but it seems like the pack's spirit (for lack of a better term) accepted him before then. It's almost like the will of the pack is an entity unto itself and what it desires is then passed down to the pack members.

In keeping with that, something tells me it isn't just Arric's wolf who is interested in Kieran. I think the pack as a whole and the collective will acknowledged Kieran's accomplishments and how well he balances the alpha's tendencies. The minute the previous beta considered stepping down, I think his replacement was already decided.

You know, this foursome -- Arric as alpha, Kieran as beta, Shea as gamma/enforcer, and Cyn as unofficial delta -- is formidable as fuck. A pack couldn't ask for more well-rounded leadership.

I wouldn't call it a pack's spirit, but more of the member's animal spirit itself. Contrary to In the Shadows where a shifter has a second consciousness, Cernunnos shifters have a pacified version. We saw the behavioral changes in Shea when accepting the delta role, so we're to expect one in Kieran. 

But overall, I love and agree with this comment. The pack already had a plan for Walter's replacement, but it all depended on when. The only one out of the loop was the nomination itself!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was such a smooth chapter....  How you pack so much emotion and "action" with relatively few words is so beyond me.  I know it was really a lot of words but it just flowed so effortlessly from one thing to the next.... amazing.  I love the slow build with Arric and Kieran.  Arric is such a caring Alpha.  A lot of alpha's would have been more forceful in their actions.  Instead Arric stepped back because he knew his emotions were transferring to Kieran.  Definitely a class act in my book!  Cyn (and Sheamus) are still as cute as ever. 🦌🐺 Cyn's innocence just shines through... And Hauser...I can't believe I am saying this but I actually feel sorry for him.  In his own way, he is just as much a victim in this mess as some of the others.  Granted he killed but I don't believe it was his true nature...  I think he was more or less forced into it.  Alpha Rogier exhibited a lot of compassion in his sentencing.  Hauser has the guilt/attitude of someone in an abusive relationship.  Another WOW chapter....you just keep churning them out.  Such talent!!!!! :heart:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I don't know if you intended it, but the other alphas remind me of heads of state.  The negotiations and political jockeying are reminiscent of "allied" countries that don't fully trust or like each other (with Donovan's Milwaukee) or mainly friendly (with Ken), with Interpol keeping an eye on things. The big difference is these dudes turn into wolves and can rip each other's throats out.  

Edited by CincyKris
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The following speaks volumes.....

Fingering the loop of his mug, Kieran scoffed, “Is that usual? You would think with murderers running loose, he'd do more than cooperate. Has he always been like that?”

“Kind of. He can be bull-headed over some political—” Arric’s body went still. He swiftly pulled his phone and started tapping. “So stupid…”

Shea’s face showed concern as he whispered, “Alpha?”

The alpha was quiet as he brought the phone to his ear. “Agent Wendel. What do you know about Alpha Donovan?”

Kieran’s heart raced. He wasn’t aware of inter-pack relations, especially what went on between the Pack Alphas. Arric must’ve put some pieces together.

“I’m not one to put suspicion on an ally, but if you could do a little snooping in their police records… yes, with former-prey victims, particularly the unsolved cases… I’m glad you think the same, Agent. Happy hunting.” Arric set the phone aside and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Wendel has his thoughts on Donovan as well. Apparently, he hasn’t been the most forthcoming with the feds.”

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Patch1 said:

This was such a smooth chapter....  How you pack so much emotion and "action" with relatively few words is so beyond me.  I know it was really a lot of words but it just flowed so effortlessly from one thing to the next.... amazing.  I love the slow build with Arric and Kieran.  Arric is such a caring Alpha.  A lot of alpha's would have been more forceful in their actions.  Instead Arric stepped back because he knew his emotions were transferring to Kieran.  Definitely a class act in my book!  Cyn (and Sheamus) are still as cute as ever. 🦌🐺 Cyn's innocence just shines through... And Hauser...I can't believe I am saying this but I actually feel sorry for him.  In his own way, he is just as much a victim in this mess as some of the others.  Granted he killed but I don't believe it was his true nature...  I think he was more or less forced into it.  Alpha Rogier exhibited a lot of compassion in his sentencing.  Hauser has the guilt/attitude of someone in an abusive relationship.  Another WOW chapter....you just keep churning them out.  Such talent!!!!! :heart:

Always love your comments, Patch. I'm surprised at your feelings towards Hauser. I figured you'd want Cyrus to come in bolts-a-blazin'. 

3 hours ago, CincyKris said:

I don't know if you intended it, but the other alphas remind me of heads of state.  The negotiations and political jockeying are reminiscent of "allied" countries that don't fully trust or like each other (with Donovan's Milwaukee) or mainly friendly (with Ken), with Interpol keeping an eye on things. The big difference is these dudes turn into wolves and can rip each other's throats out.  

It was intended in a sort. They may be allies, but they're still wolves. Arric's smart in this scenario. An ally alpha is acting pretty suspicious, but Arric has council transitions going on. He'd rather have the SFBI tackle Donovan than himself. 

1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

The following speaks volumes.....

Fingering the loop of his mug, Kieran scoffed, “Is that usual? You would think with murderers running loose, he'd do more than cooperate. Has he always been like that?”

“Kind of. He can be bull-headed over some political—” Arric’s body went still. He swiftly pulled his phone and started tapping. “So stupid…”

Shea’s face showed concern as he whispered, “Alpha?”

The alpha was quiet as he brought the phone to his ear. “Agent Wendel. What do you know about Alpha Donovan?”

Kieran’s heart raced. He wasn’t aware of inter-pack relations, especially what went on between the Pack Alphas. Arric must’ve put some pieces together.

“I’m not one to put suspicion on an ally, but if you could do a little snooping in their police records… yes, with former-prey victims, particularly the unsolved cases… I’m glad you think the same, Agent. Happy hunting.” Arric set the phone aside and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Wendel has his thoughts on Donovan as well. Apparently, he hasn’t been the most forthcoming with the feds.”

 

49 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Could this be Eike's haven before he tries to skip the country?

Oooooooooh! I love connecting dots!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You can look at this two ways. From our guy's view, they've taken out most if not all of Eike's folks. On the other side of the coin, Eike only has to focus on himself getting away now and this is much easier than a group.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

One has to wonder what is the connection or relationship between Alpha Donovan and Eike???? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Sherlock Holmes Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Always love your comments, Patch. I'm surprised at your feelings towards Hauser. I figured you'd want Cyrus to come in bolts-a-blazin'. 

It was intended in a sort. They may be allies, but they're still wolves. Arric's smart in this scenario. An ally alpha is acting pretty suspicious, but Arric has council transitions going on. He'd rather have the SFBI tackle Donovan than himself. 

Oooooooooh! I love connecting dots!

Shocked myself with that one!!!  Normally I would have wanted Cyrus to come in and "light his ass up"!!  Must be getting a little soft in my old age!!!  😂😆🤣

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..