Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,210 Words
  • 2,602 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 45. Chapter 45

Cyn held tight to Shea’s hand. He could smell the sorrow in the midnight air as he saw the pack adorned in black clothing. His mate explained to him they were attending a funeral for Shelly, the lady commander. It was strange to him seeing the robed body atop the neatly-placed timber. Sheamus told me the wolves honor their fallen.

Kara’s sniffling was incessant. From the whispers, a lot of the members revered Shelly. I know she smiled at me at the meeting, but I didn’t get to talk to her. He looked at Shea’s somber gaze. He’s sad. Seeking to comfort the man, Cyn stepped closer and ran a hand across the wolf’s back.

Shea whispered, “Thank you.”

Meeting the same tone, Cyn asked, “Are you okay?”

“No,” The wolf shook his head, “I don’t think a lot of people are right now. Shell meant a lot to our pack. I know Saige killed Priscilla, but I can’t help but feel this shouldn’t have happened."

As an arm was draped over Cyn's shoulder, Arric stepped forward in front of the pyre. His voice was low in tone, yet echoe throughout the area, "Thank you all for coming. We gather to mourn a loss. One of our own fell in the heat of battle against our foes.

"Shelly Boe was a fine commander. She led her forces with pride and valor. Unadulterated dedication to her position was her strongest quality. But when not on duty, she was one of, if not the most friendly faces among us. I will miss her smile and witty banter.

"At this time, those who wish to bid their farewells and leave tokens of appreciation may do so."

Cyn watched as individuals and couples ventured forth. Their whispers couldn't be heard. Many of them left trinkets and memorabilia next to the body. Shea tugged on his arm, encouraging Cyn to follow.

The wolf left a small medallion with a blue ribbon near her shoulder, "My marksmanship medal. You were jealous I outscored you on the final exam. With this, I hope you find yourself leading the holy army above."

Understanding the sentiment behind his mate's actions, Cyn glanced at Shelly. I don't have anything. Being escorted away, Cyn thought of a token. He pulled on Shea's arm, "Wait."

"Cyn?"

Shea's confusion was apparent as the deer turned back to the pyre. Kneeling, Cyn unlaced his running shoes. They were a gift to me. His socks hit the damp grass, sending shivers up his legs. It's cold, but I can manage…

Perching the set near Shelly's bare feet, Cyn furrowed his brow. Sheamus said words. What do I say? What should my gift mean?

He smiled and rested a hand along the timber bed. Aislin used to say something in Arkansas. I think a wolf would like it too.

"Run free," he whispered. Staring at her, Cyn felt Shea's hand on his shoulder. Looking up, he could see his mate's prideful smile. Together they walked away. His feet were getting cold, but Shea assured they would be shifting soon.

Several more members paid their respects. Seeing how no more had approached, Arric took a stand in front, holding a large, metal pole with a dripping head. "Now that the pack has said their piece, it's time we release Shelly's soul from its earthly bound."

He turned to face her, "Shelly, you were a dear friend, a worthy companion, and a most loyal member of our pack. The time has come for us to say our final farewell." Withdrawing a lighter, Arric ignited the torch, "With this flame, we send you on the wolf's way to the eternal forest. May you hunt until your heart's content. May you reunite with cherished ones from the past. And may your soul finally rest. As Alpha, I give you my dismissal."

Lowering the flame, he set it against the base of the pyre. Once spread, the torch was moved to the head, then again to the foot. Arric circled the small structure in complete silence, propping the flame against the tinder along the way. Stepping away with a bowed head, the alpha joined the crowd. The only sound disturbing the silence was the crackling embers.

Arric took off his blazer and unbuttoned the shirt, signaling for the pack to follow his lead. Leaving their clothes on the ground, everyone shifted. Cyn glanced around. Everyone has their heads low. Shea’s muzzle nudged his side. He saw the wolf’s demeanor and decided to mimic it.

When a low howl pierced the air, Cyn lifted his head. That’s Arric! He sounds… sad. One by one, the members’ voices echoed the alpha’s. In the distance, he heard two bears, one being Orson’s. The deer snapped out of the trance when Shea’s howl joined. Cyn wanted to comfort his mate. He embodied the sadness around him and bleated. It didn’t last as long as the other sounds, so Cyn repeated himself until the pack grew quiet.

Another nudge broke his concentration. Shea’s eyes were sparkling from falling tears. The dark gray wolf rubbed against him. Returning the affection, Cyn bent his neck and nuzzled Shea’s.

***

Stepping inside, Arric closed the door behind him and sighed. The smell of ash remained in his nasal cavity. Shouldering his jacket off, he draped it over the couch. Putting it in its proper place did not matter to him at the moment.

He took a few steps forward, but a knock at the door disrupted him. Opening it, he smiled, “Hey, Key.”

“Hey, Alpha.” Kieran’s somber tone showcased his mood. “You okay?”

Arric nodded, “Yeah, but this shit doesn’t get easier.”

The scribe stepped forward and placed a hand on Arric’s waist, “I get that. I don’t envy your role.”

The statement was curious, even through Kieran’s blatant sincerity. “You don’t?”

“No. You lead the pack, even in the darkest times. I couldn’t imagine…” Kieran coughed and wiped his eyes with a sleeve, “Sorry.”

“Hey,” He brought the shorter wolf into his arms, “It’s okay, pup. I know you and Shelly were pretty good friends.” As he held Kieran, he felt the body convulse. His shoulder warmed as moisture collected on the shirt from Kieran's tears.

The sniffling calmed, but the body remained in place. “Thanks,” Kieran whispered.

Arric nuzzled the shaggy head of hair, “No problem.”

“No, I need to get used to it.”

Looking down, he barely saw Kieran’s gritted teeth. Get used to it? “What does that mean?”

Kieran’s head rose, meeting the alpha’s gaze, “If… If I’m going to be your beta, I need to get used to stuff like this.”

My beta? “Key? You’ve accepted the nomination? You can have more time to think abou—”

“I don’t need to. Like you and Walter said, there’s no other option. If you two say I’m the best for the job… then I’ll do it for the pack.”

Arric’s brows indented, “I don't want you to take it if you don't want it."

An eternity of silence passed before Kieran whispered, "Like I told you when I accepted my scribe nomination; I want to help where I can. Will you need me to keep being the scribe?"

The alpha sighed, "For the time being. I'd like to minimize your duties as much as possible, but it'll be hard to find a historian and youth leader."

"Can I suggest for Walter to be the youth leader? I know he's substituted for me when I was busy with university work, and the kids keep asking about him."

Arric nodded. Swapping roles. Makes sense to me. Walt'll need something to keep him occupied. Vivianne can be a handful at times. "We'll discuss it at this week's council meeting. There's plenty on the agenda." His voice faltered, remembering there was no acting hunting team commander.

Kieran clearly saw the dismayed look. He squeezed Arric's hand, "Want some coffee? You look like you need it."

Shaking his head, Arric snorted, "Nah. Coffee doesn't fix everything."

"Then… would you like for me to sit with you?"

The idea sounded pleasant. He led the way to the couch. Turning on the TV, Kieran sat closely; melding into Arric's arm. The sound of a door opening caught the alpha's attention, but any sense of alarm was muted when Shea called out. Seeing grimaced faces, Arric gestured to the loveseat, "Mind joining us for a movie?"

Shea nodded, "Sure. It'll take my mind off everything." The couple took similar positions, showing clear signs of exhaustion. The four sat in relative silence, only to occasionally whisper to their respective partners.

Halfway into the movie, Cyn fell asleep, prompting the enforcer to carry him upstairs. Kieran yawned as Shea passed by, "I should head home."

Concerned, Arric held the man tightly, "You can stay the night. I don't want you on the road if you're tired." Before the man could object, Arric laid a finger on Kieran's lips. "I'm asking. Please?"

The scribes eyes were unwavering, and Arric understood the confusion. It's not often I use that word, but I couldn't live with myself if he fell asleep at the wheel.

"Okay, Alpha. Let me get my earbuds out of the car." They both rose and Arric escorted Kieran outside.

Coming back in, he smiled as the scribe started up the stairs with a backpack. "You don't have to take a guest room. Those two might get busy in the night."

The lanky wolf turned around, "You want to share a bed?"

Scared he had taken too big of a step, Arric shook his head vigorously, "N-no. Well, only if you want. It's just an offer." His heart pounded and nervousness filled his chest.

Kieran gave him a half-smile and descended, "I'd like that, but to be clear, we're just sleeping, right?"

"Of course! Just…" As Arric stuttered, Kieran raised an eyebrow. "Would… you mind if I held you?"

Receiving a nod as a response, Arric took Kieran by the hand. Entering the dark bedroom, the alpha thought he was breaking many steps in the relationship rulebook. It's been a short time since we started dating, and we're going to share a bed! Hell, I haven't even taken him on a dinner date yet.

The two took their shirts off and stared at one another. Arric wanted to growl as he saw the slender lycan before him, but it was withheld. He turned and proceeded to unbuckle his pants. Walking to the dresser, he felt Kieran’s gaze on him. “Do you need some shorts or pants?”

“I… uh, no. I have some in my bag.”

As Arric unfurled a rolled-up pair of pajama pants, he snuck a peek at his partner. He had previously thought about this moment, but was captivated seeing Kieran’s half-naked body. Despite his skinny figure, Kieran had defined muscles. Arric scowled as the man’s boxers were baggy, hiding any pertinent details. He kept a secretive watch as the athletic shorts’ waistband rose and cupped the ample cheekage Arric knew existed. Quickly adorning his bottoms, he took the side of the bed closest to the door. Unfurling the cover, he pondered the innate decision. Why? I always took the middle or the other side.

His wolf grunted within his mind. To protect? Arric understood the reasoning. My wolf? You like Key, don’t you? A strong huff confirmed his suspicions. Before he could further question it, Kieran passed by, plugging his phone into the outlet by the nightstand. “Do you need to be up by a certain time?”

“Not really, but I’ve always been an early riser. I’ll probably head to the university and library tomorrow to let my bosses know about taking the beta role.” At the same time, the two slid under the comforter.

Arric could not ignore the distance between them. He’s hugging the edge of the bed. “I’m not a bed-hog, you know.” He inched closer as Kieran smiled and mimicked the movement. “You’re nervous.”

Kieran scratched his head, “That obvious?”

“Yeah. Your strategic side’s been showing all night. Just because you’re nominated to be my beta doesn’t mean you can’t be yourself.”

He watched the lycan swallow and avert his eyes, “I don’t know, Arric. My wolf’s telling me I should take things more seriously now.”

“Why, because you’ll be a pack leader? Key, tell your wolf to open his eyes. You already are one.” When Kieran’s gaze lifted, Arric thumbed the scribe’s ear, “Has anyone told you this pack respects the hell out of you? Some are even scared by how smart you are!”

“R-really?”

“Yeah! You didn’t need to hide your goofiness as a lower council member, and you don’t need to now.”

Kieran bit his lip, “But—”

“Uh-uh! All I ask is for you to keep being yourself. I can’t stop you from changing your personal behavior, but just know I like you for who you are… okay?”

The lycan’s face was unmoving for several seconds before Kieran smiled again. He whispered, “Thanks, Alpha.” The eyes closed as his head advanced. Arric mirrored and met him for a brief kiss. “I think you asked if you could hold me?”

The alpha grinned and eliminated any distance between them, “I’d like that a lot.”

Apologies for the delayed posting. My laptop has been sent off for repairs, and typing/editing on my phone is tedious. Hopefully, I'll have it back within the week!
Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 37
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

8 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

This chapter definitely brought out the tears in me. Feeling Cyn's confusion at the funeral, yet seeing him try (and succeed) to be a good pack member was heartwarming. And Arric and Kieran cuddling... now that's a picture I want to see someday ❤️

Writing the funeral was rough! Cyn's confusion for it is genuine, but even I'm not sure if he felt any true sadness for Shelly's death. The only relative experience he has is Colman's death. 

Arric and Kieran are a nervous mess! Both are acting very differently compared to their date/not-date at the diner. I can't wait to see how they blossom out, especially when Kieran is truly gifted the beta role (we all remember what happened to Shea, right?).

7 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The tragic outcome of the last chapter is revealed with Shelly's funeral. Knowing Priscilla died is a small compensation.

The farewell was very moving and Cyn's token was heartfelt, sealing his connection to his new pack.

Key surprised Arric with the swiftness of accepting the Beta position. The changes in the pack  leadership combined with the stress of this hunt are nearly overwhelming.

I think this was my first attempt at a dramatic timeskip. The only solace found here is Priscilla's death, and even so, I'm not satisfied myself.

Cyn makes me feel like a proud dad sometimes. 

My only question now is whether Shea and Cyn will join the Turbins in the alpha's manor club...

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

Damn that was a rough one.... I've cried from stories before but not like this.  I envy your gift my friend.  You brought out every feeling, every emotion possible for the funeral.  The dedications and words were a perfect way to honor Shelly.  And the following "alone" time for the 4 was just beautifully simple and very heart warming.  Arric and Kieran are just a beautiful couple growing with each other.  Sheamus and Cyn are just perfect.  Cyn is such a caring soul.  I really think he and Kieran could be great friends.  They both feel things so deeply.  For such a somber chapter, it had so much heart :heart:.  Even being so sad, this is probably one of, if not my favorite chapter.  It just had so much feeling.  I don't think a funeral could be written better.  This one definitely packed a big punch....

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

I don’t like funerals. I don’t know anyone who does. But what they do is provide a sense of closure sometimes. In cases like this though…just an overwhelming sense of loss and grief. I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite chapters so far. So well written and thoroughly displays what happens after something bad happens to a well loved person in the community. I think Cyn handled the funeral as well as could be expected….and his token left at the pyre shows his pure heart. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

Damn that was a rough one.... I've cried from stories before but not like this.  I envy your gift my friend.  You brought out every feeling, every emotion possible for the funeral.  The dedications and words were a perfect way to honor Shelly.  And the following "alone" time for the 4 was just beautifully simple and very heart warming.  Arric and Kieran are just a beautiful couple growing with each other.  Sheamus and Cyn are just perfect.  Cyn is such a caring soul.  I really think he and Kieran could be great friends.  They both feel things so deeply.  For such a somber chapter, it had so much heart :heart:.  Even being so sad, this is probably one of, if not my favorite chapter.  It just had so much feeling.  I don't think a funeral could be written better.  This one definitely packed a big punch....

Always love your comments, Patch. Cyn is so innocent, even during a funeral. Can't wait to start in the next chapter. 

1 hour ago, JR Tittle said:

I don’t like funerals. I don’t know anyone who does. But what they do is provide a sense of closure sometimes. In cases like this though…just an overwhelming sense of loss and grief. I have to say, this is probably one of my favorite chapters so far. So well written and thoroughly displays what happens after something bad happens to a well loved person in the community. I think Cyn handled the funeral as well as could be expected….and his token left at the pyre shows his pure heart. 

I've had this funeral planned for a while and I wanted to make it nice and proper. Growing up I my hometown, I disliked the typical funerals, as they reminded me of family/class reunions. Everyone saying "Haven't seen you in a while," with too many smiles. It wasn't until college where I saw a proper funeral with genuine respect for the deceased. Although Shelly was a minor character, I wanted this to be special. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment

This was a rough chapter, illustrating the dualities in the circle of life, of sad farewells'. Honoring the supreme sacrifice in the noblest of honorable pursuits. To new beginnings of growth in those who step up, following in their elders footsteps as roles change, noting that everyone is useful.

Well done, terrific word pictures!

  • Love 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

This was a rough chapter, illustrating the dualities in the circle of life, of sad farewells'. Honoring the supreme sacrifice in the noblest of honorable pursuits. To new beginnings of growth in those who step up, following in their elders footsteps as roles change, noting that everyone is useful.

Well done, terrific word pictures!

I agree; rough chapter. Plenty of subliminal and emotional messages throughout the scenes. It thrills me as an author to hear that this chapter was a fond one to several of the dedicated readers. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Just caught up with this in-progress story... loving it once again! I do like how you put more types of shifters into this story... not sure about the rabbits though 😄 I can see how they fit in the plot... but I dont see them biting someone to change them!  The larger mammals make a bit more sense. Bring on the Wolverines!

Also another thought, I thought the wolves were larger in "In the Shadows"? Vincent was 5ft at the shoulders? I'll have to go back and see.

Cyn needs bigger antlers by the end of the story, as a reflection of his bravery and change of thought process from just being prey to realizing his place in the shifter world. Oh by the way, deer shed their antlers on an annual basis, they don't just break off and regrow randomly 🦌

Thanks again for a great read, looking forward to the conclusion, and maybe part 2+?  I like to dive into a completed story, so I may not be back until this one is finished (I read fast and like to finish a story!)

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, G90814 said:

Just caught up with this in-progress story... loving it once again! I do like how you put more types of shifters into this story... not sure about the rabbits though 😄 I can see how they fit in the plot... but I dont see them biting someone to change them!  The larger mammals make a bit more sense. Bring on the Wolverines!

Also another thought, I thought the wolves were larger in "In the Shadows"? Vincent was 5ft at the shoulders? I'll have to go back and see.

Cyn needs bigger antlers by the end of the story, as a reflection of his bravery and change of thought process from just being prey to realizing his place in the shifter world. Oh by the way, deer shed their antlers on an annual basis, they don't just break off and regrow randomly 🦌

Thanks again for a great read, looking forward to the conclusion, and maybe part 2+?  I like to dive into a completed story, so I may not be back until this one is finished (I read fast and like to finish a story!)

 

Lovin' these comments! I want to put out there that Cernunnos isn't in the same universe as the In the Shadows series (although I wish it were!) 

This story was created based off a comment from one of the readers of LitS. When deer shifters was mentioned, I started thinking about animals that often get overlooked on a daily basis. Shifter stories are notorious for involving predatorial animals, and I wanted something different. With a underlying plot of a new Former-Prey Law being recently introduced, I needed more animals that would be impacted by it, hence rabbits and foxes. 

We haven't explored human turning in this story yet, and I'm unsure if we will, as there aren't many human characters. But if I were given the opportunity to turn into a rabbit shapeshifter, I'm getting bit! 

I planned on bringing the antler growth process into the story, but will our cernunnos get a higher point count? Who knows... 

I'm beyond grateful for your comments and feedback for my stories! I'm unsure how long this story will go on for, but I'll be looking forward to your comments when it's finished!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, astone2292 said:

Lovin' these comments! I want to put out there that Cernunnos isn't in the same universe as the In the Shadows series (although I wish it were!) 

This explains the lack of mages/magic, which I don't miss, its nice to just focus on one kind of 'weird' in a story :)  I still want a bitchin Wolverine character though 🦄

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, G90814 said:

This explains the lack of mages/magic, which I don't miss, its nice to just focus on one kind of 'weird' in a story :)  I still want a bitchin Wolverine character though 🦄

There are some small differences between the lycans in the series as well. Arric's alpha-ness has some emotional side effects on others, as well as the mental change of behavior when a status is changed. 

Hmm, wolverines eh? Little badger looking dudes? I got several stories ahead in my "to-write" list, but I'll put it in the queue! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
25 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I want to put out there that Cernunnos isn't in the same universe as the In the Shadows series (although I wish it were!) 

With the omnipotent author powers flowing through your veins, this is a wish you could easily make true. But you've gotta wanna first.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

With the omnipotent author powers flowing through your veins, this is a wish you could easily make true. But you've gotta wanna first.

The explanation of lack of magical powers in Cernunnos would be difficult to pull off. I think I'm content with keeping them separated. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
31 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

The explanation of lack of magical powers in Cernunnos would be difficult to pull off. I think I'm content with keeping them separated. 

Aww... See, you just don't wanna.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

This is one of those chapters that I wish I could leave multiple reactions. Shelly’s funeral had me ugly crying. I sooo appreciate the tender scene between Arric and Kieran. Beautifully written start to finish.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Dan South said:

This is one of those chapters that I wish I could leave multiple reactions. Shelly’s funeral had me ugly crying. I sooo appreciate the tender scene between Arric and Kieran. Beautifully written start to finish.

Dang, not ugly crying! 

Arric and Kieran are such an adorable couple. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..