Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,534 Words
  • 2,872 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 34. Chapter 34

Man, today is just weird! Sitting in the passenger seat of Arric’s pitch black GMC Sierra, Kieran became wary of the alpha’s thin smile. He’s been like this since we left his place. Must be pretty happy about the mission’s progress… or whatever food we’re getting. “Say, Alpha. Where are you heading? We’ve been on the road for a bit.”

“Nowhere special. Just a little place I go to about once a month. Human owned, no pack members in sight.” Still holding onto the grin, Arric breathed in deeply and let it loose. “I consider it a small get-away from the daily nonsense. Not to mention the food.”

“So, it’s a restaurant?”

“Bingo.”

Kieran looked through the windshield and determined where they were going. The rearview mirror monitor says we’re heading south. We haven’t hit the city limits yet, so let’s see… He cycled through a memorized map of the pack’s territory and started a process of elimination. Can’t be Work Zone or the Handle Bar; they don’t open until eleven. The only restaurant past that is…

“Parkside! Parkside Family Restaurant!”

Arric’s eyes widened and glanced at the passenger. “Just how the hell did you figure that out?”

Snickering, he waved his hand, dismissing the alpha’s irritation. “Well, we passed Biggby and the Dunkin’ a few blocks back. There’s a handful of places that serve food out here, and only one fits the business hours right now.”

“That memory of yours is a pain in my ass.”

As soon as Kieran started to laugh, another laugh could be heard in the vehicle. Looking at the driver, it was the first time the historian had seen his alpha laugh. Okay, either he’s really changing or he’s sick, and I don’t think Alpha’s ill. “Sorry, Alpha, but can I ask you a serious question?”

The request was met by another laugh. “Fuck, why not. What’s on your mind, Key?”

Hearing the nickname again from Arric’s mouth nearly halted his brain movements. “Well, now I got two questions. Are you good?”

“What kind of question is that?”

“I’m only asking because I’ve never heard of you having any meals with other council members, outside of special meetings with your beta and delta. What makes me so special?”

Arric glanced at the lanky lycan a few times, trying to focus on the road. “You’re different.”

“Tell me something I don’t know. I meant—”

Another deep chuckle left Arric’s lips, “Before you go off on your life story, I’ve heard it a million times. I say you're different because of this; conversation. Even with Walt, I can’t get him to chill the fuck out around me. It’s always hoity-toity business and him acting like a grandpa. He gives sound advice and the recent events proves his effectiveness as a general for war. When I walk in a room, everyone shuts up.”

Arric tossed another look towards the lycan. “Except you. Why is this? Every time, it seems you aren’t phased by my ranking in this pack unless I’m pissed enough to burn it all down. You maintain your collectiveness and it hasn’t hit me until recently.”

Kieran could only smile. He stared in silence until he earned a raised eyebrow from his leader. “Dude, isn’t it simple? You’re my friend, Alpha.”

Pursed lips and a scowl formed on Arric’s face, and Kieran knew he was thinking. “I’m… your friend?” The gritty tone was laced with confusion. “I’m so lost right now. I don’t have friends. I’m the alpha, and I—”

“You're taking this way too seriously.” His interruption was clearly unanticipated, but Kieran wanted to make a point. “You’re thinking like you’re supposed to never have time off from being our leader. That’s not healthy! When was the last time you went bowling?”

“Bowling?” Arric huffed and dismissed the question.

“Think about it, dude. Have you even had fun in the last year?” He could tell his questions were getting through. “Other than the monthly meetings, when was the last time you let your wolf run wild in the woods? You know, climb a tree, jump in a stream, or just let loose?”

Arric’s face scrunched. He only snapped out of his daze to park at the restaurant. Turning the key, he slumped in his seat. “It’s… It’s been almost a year since I did any of that.” His voice was nearly a whisper. “My wolf is howling at me, pawing my mind and telling me I’ve been a fool. Why is this?”

“Because you need to take a damned breath.” Seeing Arric’s sharp gaze didn’t faze him in the least. “Sorry, Alpha. I didn’t mean to make this a serious moment, but I think you need to hear it. You’re denying the human’s need to be social, which kills your wolf. We’re social animals and we need to talk and have some damn fun once in a while.”

The alpha’s eyes never left his. Only after a snort, did Arric look away. “This wasn’t how I planned this morning, but I’m glad it happened. I needed this kick in the ass, and I don’t think anyone else could have done it. This cold side of you is pretty fuckin’ frightening, you know that?”

Kieran grinned and kept his posture. “But back to the original statement, you’re my friend, Alpha. If that means I’m the one to talk some sense into you, then I’ll do it. As long as you can loosen up once in a while. Being the leader doesn’t mean you have to put on your suit and tie every day.”

Arric leaned forward and took out his hair tie, only to pull back tighter and fasten it away. “Thank you, Kieran. I think I really needed that.”

“Any time! Now how about we get some food? I’m starving!”

Another snort blew from the alpha’s nose, “I’m surprised you eat with how skinny you are.”

The two hopped out of the truck and entered the restaurant. Going in, Kieran’s first impressions weren’t sky-high. Arric leaned in and whispered, “The food makes up for it.”

Being led by the hostess, Arric asked for the farthest booth away from everyone. Seated, they gave their drink preference, both choosing black coffee. Within a minute, they had mugs filled and menus delivered. “Wow, great service!”

“That’s what happens when you go to a human-owned place. They want to be kept happy at all times.”

“True that. So what’s good here?”

Arric rolled his eyes and toothily grinned at the placard. “Everything. I’ve had every option on the menu and it’s all perfect. The Denver omelette’s the best though. Plenty of ham, cheese, peppers, and onions.”

After a moment to decide, the waitress took their orders. Once she was gone, Arric leaned forward and whispered. “I might have misheard, but didn’t you say you had two questions back in the truck?”

Meeting the set tone, Kieran kept his voice low to prevent the nearby humans from hearing. “Yeah, what’s up with you calling me Key?”

The alpha’s head fell back and his chest convulsed. He managed to keep the laughter silent. “Why? Don’t like my little nickname for you?”

“Actually, I dig it! It sounds pretty cool when you say it.”

“Good, because it’s there to stay. You mind if I get to know you better… Key?”

He snickered and nodded, “Go right ahead, Alpha.”

Arric leaned back and sipped from his coffee. “First question. Why haven’t I seen you with a she-wolf wrapped around your arms?”

Kieran was about to grab his mug, but fell short as he raised a limp fist to his mouth. His cackle couldn’t be contained and knew a few of the diners were watching. “Shit, you’re not pulling punches today!” Going back to his hushed tone, the lanky lycan inclined, “You really think Shea’s the only bum-bumper in town?”

The look on Arric’s face caused him to pause. The eyes bulged momentarily, but the shifter rested on his elbows on the table. “I thought I had you figured out, but I wasn’t completely sure. To each his own. Curiosity’s pecking me, why didn’t you go for Farren?”

“Oh, forget that! I couldn’t land a guy like Shea, even if I tried!”

The alpha’s fingers interlocked, “Why not? Don’t think you’re up to the task?”

Kieran shook his head, “It’s not that. Shea's a good guy, but we've never talked. I’ve just been waiting for the right dude to sweep me off my feet. All the guys around here don’t even know how to hold a conversation. It’s all about getting off, and I’m not about that.”

“What are you about?”

He sighed and rested his back, “I want someone I can depend on. Someone to throw some ideas at and get genuine feedback. Eventually, I want to find a mate, get married, and either adopt or become foster parents. All the dates I’ve been on have led to one thing and that’s when I either leave or kick ‘em out. I lived that life in college, and I can’t do it anymore. I may seem like a dopey kid but I can think for myself.”

As the words left his lips, he felt a pressure being relieved. Holy shit, I’ve had that on me for so long! I… I can’t believe Alpha helped me through that. “Al-Alpha, thank you.”

Arric’s head tilted, “For what?”

“You made me get that off my chest. I’ve never said anything like that before, but it’s how I feel.”

The alpha chuffed, “Glad I could help. Don’t know what I did, but hey! I’ll take the credit.” Arric’s nostrils flared and he looked towards the kitchen. “Food’s coming out. I smell my sirloin.”

***

He rested against the seat. No more. Can’t do any more food.

Opening his eyes, he heard Kieran’s goofy laugh, “Dang, Alpha. I knew you could pack food away, but you destroyed those two omelettes.”

“Not… another word.” Speaking the few words sapped the remaining energy he possessed. Hell, I’m going to be stuck to this leather booth by the time I’m ready to get up!

Kieran's snickering couldn't be silenced, but unlike many times before, it didn't bother him. The two sat in silence as their food settled.

A minute passed and Arric peeped through his eyelids. The lanky man was looking through the window, watching the cars and semis roll across the road. He felt a need to talk as well as remain quiet. Unease squirmed in his heart. The feeling was unknown to him, along with the newfound attraction to the man. He never considered courting someone of the same sex. Countless females have paraded themselves in his presence, and few were lucky to have bed with him. It was always hot and ferocious, but the lust had slowly drifted away.

What changed? Did I grow tired of the sad attempts of flaunting? No, that can't be it. Does my wolf want something different? A low growl permeated through his mind, signaling he was correct. Lowering his head, he cupped it in his hands.

"Getting a headache, Alpha?"

The sound of the familiar nickname rang throughout his mind. Alpha. Everyone calls me that, but he says it with such grace and serenity. Glancing up, he saw the concern on Kieran's face. The scribe dug in his pocket and pulled out his wallet. Scavenging further, he was offered a silver packet. That's a con—

"Some extra-strength acetaminophen. It probably won't work on you, but it does the trick for me."

Quickly snatching it, Arric swallowed the drugs and took a sip of his lukewarm coffee. "Thanks. Why wouldn't it work?"

"You're a little bigger than me, and you're an alpha. Stronger lycans have an increased metabolism than the lower ranked ones." After seeing the pills taken, the wolf's gaze went back to the pane.

That's true. I don't really have a headache, so it might numb something. Staring at his company, his unease sent another wave. How do I handle this?

His wolf whimpered and his eyes bulged. He had never heard his animal act in such a way. Was it because he was unsure about Kieran? Another growl affirmed it. I'm starting to like the kid? Kid? Who am I kidding? He's a grown-ass man!

Am I the child here? I can't even describe my feelings towards Kieran. Arric leaned forward and took charge of his emotions. My wolf demands this! I must act, or I may be seen as a coward. "Key?"

The hazel-eyed wolf averted his attention from the window.

"Do… you like me?"

Kieran chuffed with a grin. "Sure I do, Alpha."

He caught the obliviousness. "No, not like that. I'm charting in untreated waters here."

The scribe's head tilted. "Not sure I get what you're saying."

"Do you—" No, I need to word this better. "Would you like to do this again sometime?" Still seeing a clueless face on Kieran, Arric shifted in his seat. "You know, as a… a date?"

That did it. Kieran's jaw dropped. After a moment of silence, the smaller lycan slouched in his feet, mouth still agape. Oh, fuck. I fucked this up, didn't I?

"Alpha. Er… Arric."

The alpha's eyes were pleading for a complete sentence.

"I didn't… "

Arric watched Kieran's Adam's apple bob. His nerves were about to fray at any moment.

"I didn't know you liked me like that."

A relieved smile came to Arric's face when he saw a thin one appear across from him. "It's kind of new to me, but yeah. I like you."

Kieran scanned the empty plates and mugs before looking back at the alpha. "Is that what this was? A date?"

Arric stammered and waved his hands in defense. "Ah, no! No, that wasn't the plan." Cringing at his words, he rushed himself, "Not plan! Idea. Yeah, idea!"

His quasi-date grinned. "Relax, Alpha! I get it. Do I freak you out or something?"

The alpha wiped a hand across his face, reseting himself. "No. I haven't dated in a while, and it's never been a guy."

Kieran shrugged, but kept the curling lips. "It's not much different than dating girls, dude. Honestly, it's like being with a best friend, but having stronger feelings. Just translate things from girls to guys."

Best friends, huh? That doesn't help me either. I think I understand the guy-to-girl thing though. "So, if I'm giving you a gift, instead of a purse, I'd get you a wallet?"

"Bingo. See? Not so different."

Arric started sorting out other differences, both mentally and verbally. He felt like a clueless dolt after the third affirmative from Kieran. Alright, enough examples. "So, is that a yes then?"

"Yes to what?"

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he laughed. Weeks before, he would have barked at the lycan's attention span. It's almost adorable now.

Adorable.

He thought Kieran was adorable. Looking at the man, Arric smiled genuinely for the first time in a long while. "To going on a date with me, goofball."

Kieran brushed a hand through the messy hair. "How can I say no to a date with the alpha?"

Arric could have sworn the man was about to blush.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 42
  • Haha 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So. Effin’. Adorkable.

And that goes for both of them, by the way. Kieran because it’s Kieran and Arric because he’s fumbling like a middle school boy talking to his first crush. (Which is sort of true.)

They're turning out to be a balanced pairing! Arric can (figuratively) let his hair down but will still bring a strong, protective energy. Kieran finally gets to hang out with someone who seems to get him and who is mature enough not to pressure him to jump right into the sack. (Although, y’know, once the pants come off, they better toss a mattress directly on the floor ‘cause ain’t no bed frame gonna survive a pent up alpha.)

I’ll just be over here tittering happily — dare I say gayly — in anticipation of a double date with Shea and Cyn. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Danners said:

So. Effin’. Adorkable.

And that goes for both of them, by the way. Kieran because it’s Kieran and Arric because he’s fumbling like a middle school boy talking to his first crush. (Which is sort of true.)

They're turning out to be a balanced pairing! Arric can (figuratively) let his hair down but will still bring a strong, protective energy. Kieran finally gets to hang out with someone who seems to get him and who is mature enough not to pressure him to jump right into the sack. (Although, y’know, once the pants come off, they better toss a mattress directly on the floor ‘cause ain’t no bed frame gonna survive a pent up alpha.)

I’ll just be over here tittering happily — dare I say gayly — in anticipation of a double date with Shea and Cyn. 

I don't think that's the only thing you're anticipating, Danners...

I won't lie, this pairing was completely unplanned and I'm flying by the seat of my britches here. There was a whole other intention for their time together, but I think this might be a little bit better. 

It might be a tie between which couple is more "adorkable."

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Shh, mustn't squeal too loud or I'll wake the bf.
But OMG, this chapter, I fucking loved it. I just love it when tough guys realize, hey, maybe I can be a little softer. We saw it when Arric met Cyn, and we see it now with Kieran. Lay aside the alpha for a bit and just be a wolf happy to have found love.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

Shh, mustn't squeal too loud or I'll wake the bf.
But OMG, this chapter, I fucking loved it. I just love it when tough guys realize, hey, maybe I can be a little softer. We saw it when Arric met Cyn, and we see it now with Kieran. Lay aside the alpha for a bit and just be a wolf happy to have found love.

I'm glad you loved it! I was hesitant on the full chapter for the new couple, but I think it's a nice break from Cyn and Shea. Let's just hope Arric doesn't go too soft, he still needs to be the hard-ass at times for the pack's sake.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

There is a perfect synergy here between Arric and Key. They complement each other like Shea and Cyn do. This will make Arric a better leader.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, astone2292 said:

I don't think that's the only thing you're anticipating, Danners...

Oprah Winfrey GIF
 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, MurphyD said:

Did NOT see this coming and I love the awkward play - this is awesome!

Gotta keep my readers on their toes! Glad you liked the chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Awesome chapter! 

 

Random science comment (I and doing a PhD in inflammation and immunology): the strength of his immune system wouldn't change how he reacted to acetaminophen, it would be his increased metabolism that would do it. Metabolism is how the body converts different components in the body. 

 

Hope that isn't too annoying!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Bryek said:

Awesome chapter! 

 

Random science comment (I and doing a PhD in inflammation and immunology): the strength of his immune system wouldn't change how he reacted to acetaminophen, it would be his increased metabolism that would do it. Metabolism is how the body converts different components in the body. 

 

Hope that isn't too annoying!

Oh... neat! I'll go change that. C'mon, Kieran, get your stuff together...

Thank you so much!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This!!!  You keep stepping your game up!!  This chapter devoted to the Alpha and the Scribe is perfection.  It is lighthearted but heavy at the same time.  Perfect balance of fun and serious...Kieran and Arric are too stinking cute (hope it's okay to call an Alpha cute).  They balance each other.  Love seeing the Alpha's softer side.  Just proves you can be soft but still be an awesome leader.  At first I wasn't sure about Kieran, but now he is such a loveable goofball.  (I know what you are thinking but no one can replace my 🐼 and 🐺...)  You are an absolutely amazing author!!!!

Pin en Costura

  • Love 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

This!!!  You keep stepping your game up!!  This chapter devoted to the Alpha and the Scribe is perfection.  It is lighthearted but heavy at the same time.  Perfect balance of fun and serious...Kieran and Arric are too stinking cute (hope it's okay to call an Alpha cute).  They balance each other.  Love seeing the Alpha's softer side.  Just proves you can be soft but still be an awesome leader.  At first I wasn't sure about Kieran, but now he is such a loveable goofball.  (I know what you are thinking but no one can replace my 🐼 and 🐺...)  You are an absolutely amazing author!!!!

Pin en Costura

I'm just so happy everyone is loving this relationship! Of course you can call an alpha cute. I'm pretty sure you might have beaten Kieran to the punch though... Patch, I know better than to separate you and your favorite coupling. You've been on my writing adventure since the beginning and I can't say enough about your kind words. I've grown a lot this past year as a writer and you're one of the many that deserve thanks and praise. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, lonerwolf_94 said:

Please excuse me while I swoon! 😍😍😍

Swoon away! You don't need to be excused for that. :gikkle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I must have stayed home sick the day this lesson was taught...just saying it explains a lot!!!😆

The alpha wiped a hand across his face, reseting himself. "No. I haven't dated in a while, and it's never been a guy."

Kieran shrugged, but kept the curling lips. "It's not much different than dating girls, dude. Honestly, it's like being with a best friend, but having stronger feelings. Just translate things from girls to guys."

Best friends, huh? That doesn't help me either. I think I understand the guy-to-girl thing though. "So, if I'm giving you a gift, instead of a purse, I'd get you a wallet?"

"Bingo. See? Not so different."

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I must have stayed home sick the day this lesson was taught...just saying it explains a lot!!!😆

The alpha wiped a hand across his face, reseting himself. "No. I haven't dated in a while, and it's never been a guy."

Kieran shrugged, but kept the curling lips. "It's not much different than dating girls, dude. Honestly, it's like being with a best friend, but having stronger feelings. Just translate things from girls to guys."

Best friends, huh? That doesn't help me either. I think I understand the guy-to-girl thing though. "So, if I'm giving you a gift, instead of a purse, I'd get you a wallet?"

"Bingo. See? Not so different."

I helped a friend of mine come out a long time ago and when he was getting ready for his first date, this was came out of my mouth. He dated a few ladies before and couldn't figure out how men "worked" in the dating world. 

Perfume turns into cologne, purses become wallets, and lingerie turns into jockstraps. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Adorable ..... I had to read it twice to process the cuteness overload. It's like watching my kids when they started dating. 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
16 hours ago, Hellsheild said:

All i want to say is...that was adorable!Kristen Stewart Awww GIF

Aww GIF

Glad you liked the chapter!

2 hours ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Adorable ..... I had to read it twice to process the cuteness overload. It's like watching my kids when they started dating. 

Oh boy, cuteness overload! Thanks for commenting, guys!!

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Three Cheers for Arric!!! Completely Confusing and oh so Cute.

Bum bumper? Crass. Love it.

I understand this story is Complete, but I can hope for another side story here…

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Dan South said:

Three Cheers for Arric!!! Completely Confusing and oh so Cute.

Bum bumper? Crass. Love it.

I understand this story is Complete, but I can hope for another side story here…

What can I saw? I'm a crass kinda guy. 

Arric, in his own way, is cute. He's such a badass but is still clueless about gir— I mean boys. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..