Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,531 Words
  • 3,225 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 15. Chapter 15

Holding the man in his arms, Shea wanted to let Cyn cry. He hasn’t had much time to let his emotions air out. I’m not the smartest in psychology, but bottling up stuff like this is bad. “It’s okay, Cyn.” The buck’s words from earlier harmed the lycan’s heart. “You shouldn’t say stuff like that. Hey, look at me.” Watching the sniveling red face look up, Shea gave a thin smile, “You think your friend would want to hear you say that? What would he say if he heard you?”

The tears were burning as they rushed down his face. Cyn could barely breathe through the mucus-forming in his throat. “He...he…” Giving a raspy cough, his throat began to clear, “He would...he would tell me that I need to get a grip.”

Wow! Really? Was this other cern cold-hearted? “Why do you say that?”

“He said that...that we don’t mourn our dead. They weren’t fast enough to surv-”

“Cyn.” The buck looked up and through his blurry vision, he could barely make out Sheamus’ indented eyebrows. “I don’t mean to be rude to your friend, but that’s not something I can stand for. You lost a friend, a fellow member of your race. By all means, you can mourn a loss. From the way you speak of him, you must have thought highly of this cernunnos.” Cyn’s breath was caught, but he managed to lightly nod his head. “Then mourn, little man. I know I would.

“But let’s get you on your feet. Alpha Claude would like to talk with his Beta in private. We can go on a walk and talk about your fellow cern. I know it seems like a waste, but talking really helps me out when I feel sad.” Shea kept the man in his arms and lifted his legs. Kara already had the mens’ jackets in her arms and held them out for her commander. “Here, put this on. It’s cold outside.” The lycan set Cyn down and grabbed the small but puffy black jacket.

Being handed the new article of clothing, Cyn put his arms in lackluster. With the jacket on, he had his head down to the ground and arms drooping at the sides. His hand was quickly grabbed by the taller lycan, which did make the deer feel a little better. Coping with Colman’s death was still on his mind, even after being led out of the house with Kara right behind. “Cyn, look.” Glancing up, Cyn saw that it was snowing.

The deer always loved when snow fell from the skies. His heart rose from its current pit and squeezed Shea’s hand. “Do you like the snow?” The buck nodded and the tiniest of smiles appeared on his face. “Well, it snows a lot around this area. I sometimes forget how beautiful it can be around here.”

Cyn watched the snowflakes fall and agreed with the wolf. It is really pretty. The snow is falling so slowly. “My...my mother once told me that snow was the tears of someone who is watching over you.”

Shea curved his head and admired the words of wisdom, “Your mother?” As Cyn bobbed his head and watched the snow, the wolf couldn’t help but wonder where the cernunnos’ parents were. “Do...do you know where your parents are?”

“No, but that’s okay. That was something that I had to get used to. I just know that they’re out there somewhere, walking in a forest or across some plains.”

Staring hard at the buck, Shea could not believe what was just said! He doesn’t know where his parents are? What’s crazier is that he was beyond okay with that statement! Just how nomadic are these deer? He appreciated the optimism and felt a need to keep the positive mental attitude going. “That’s cool, Cyn. That’s...actually really nice to think that way.”

Cyn somberly trailed his vision back down to the hand that held his own. “Sheamus? I...I have a question.”

“Go for it.”

“Why? Why...did you tell me that I shouldn’t say stuff like I did earlier?” The buck felt the hand holding his squeeze. Looking up, he saw that the lycan had a determined face.

“Remember back at the hospital when I told you I thought you were handsome, Cyn? We may have just started...dating, but that means I am growing to care more and more for you.” Watching the buck take in a breath of air, Shea let his heart speak for him as he started walking with the deer in tow, “We just met, but I already feel a need to help you. To...to protect you. I’m still trying to learn more about it myself, but it feels amazing to be next to you. This feeling makes me smile, and I wouldn’t be able to have it without you.”

A feeling? “What kind of feeling is it?”

Shea lightly swung the arm connected to Cyn’s, letting the two arms sway in motion together. “It’s...really hard to describe. Anytime I’m with you, you make my heart smile. I...feel a soaring motion in my chest.”

Cyn was captured by the wolf’s words. His heart wants to fly when he’s with me? He tried to picture the feeling within himself and smiled at his attempt. “I understand that. I like being with you. You’re...you’re the only person I trust.”

“Ouch.” The buck and wolf looked behind to see Kara walking a little behind. Shea laughed and Cyn felt the need to giggle. "I'm just kidding, Cyn. I know I'm a new face, but I hope you'll find me trustworthy."

"I...I do, Kara. You and Jaime are nice."

"Thanks, Cyn! So, we’re going to the trail? Want me to take the point, commander?” Earning a nod from her superior, Kara took the lead and headed for the backyard.

As they turned the corner of the manor, Cyn heard the sound of rushing water again. He looked up and saw a tall and wide stone that spat water from the top. What...what is that? Letting go of Shea’s hand, he wandered over to the strange stone. He saw that water was pooling in the bottom of a large bowl. So, water comes from the top and fills the bowl? Is this for animals to drink from? It seems pretty big, so only tall animals could drink from it. “You like the fountain, little man?” Turning, he saw Shea with a smile on his face. Cyn looked back at the object and was able to put a word to structure’s existence. Fountain?

“Yeah, but what does it do?”

Feeling a hand wrap around his waist, Cyn noticed the man had gotten closer. The buck sensed the emanating warmth from Shea’s body and leaned into him naturally. “It’s a fountain. They’re just for decoration. It cycles water from the bowl and flows from the top.”

Cyn tilted his head to the side and tried to understand its usefulness, “So...it’s not for drinking?”

Oh, man! I’m going to crack up! It took everything in Shea’s willpower to keep himself from laughing. He blinked and coughed to clear his throat once he got his emotions in check, “Nope, it’s just there for you to look at and listen to. Just close your eyes and hear the water flowing.”

Closing his eyelids, the deer focused on the sound of the rushing water and smiled. It sounds nice, almost peaceful! It reminds me of the small waterfall a few years ago! “I like it.” He grasped Shea’s hand once more and let himself be led further into the yard. Admiring the large empty plot of snow-covered land, he spotted a small trail entrance further into the woods. Feeling a little nervous to enter a wooded area, the buck reminded himself that his friends were with him. As the trio walked, Cyn felt his heart settling down. This is...nice.

***

The trio had left a few minutes ago, and the maid sprayed the odor eliminator throughout the house. It probably won’t be enough for Walter’s nose though. He’ll probably smell the cern and ask questions right away. Arric dismissed his house staff for the remainder of the morning and waited for his Beta’s arrival. He desperately wanted to put faith in Walter but knew he could take no chances.

After sitting in his office for a little over fifteen minutes, he heard a knock at the door and rose to answer it. When he approached the door, he recognized his Beta’s familiar scent. “Walter, thanks for coming by on such short notice. Much needs to be discussed.”

“I’ll say! Rumors are flying about and I am rather disturbed you are just now contacting me.” Arric cut a concerning gaze at the salt and pepper-haired man. Sidestepping, he allowed Walter inside.

Rumors? Already? No one should know about the situation yet. “What have you heard, Walt? I must know before I go into the details.”

The Beta huffed and instinctively knew to head for the Alpha’s office. “From what whispers I’ve gathered, Eike has been a very naughty child! Attacking a deer herd with two cernunnos.” Breathing in through his nose, Walter halted. What...is that smell? No...it can’t be! Nimble and swift, the middle-aged man spun on his heels and crossed his arms towards his pack leader. “One of the two lived?”

Arric snarled and gave his Beta a commanding stare, “What do you know, Beta Haynes? You already know Eike has committed treasonous acts. As my Beta, you ought to know I’m ready for complete treason of my entire cabinet!”

Walter grinned and gave a signature elegant chortle, “An excellent strategy, my Alpha! A smart one, at that.” Growing serious, the Beta bent his neck and continued, “You know I take my role very seriously, and my oath even more. I am your advisor, and I would suggest nothing more than light treadmarks on this situation. Rest assured, I’m happy to be tested for loyalty, Alpha Claude.”

“Good. Go to my office and we’ll get started.” The two made their way to Arric’s office and the Alpha closed the door behind him. As Walter sat in the chair, Arric stood in front of him. “Look in my eyes, Walt.”

“Let’s get this over with, sir. We have business to handle.”

Letting his voice grow in power, Arric’s tone grew grave and oozed with strength. “Are you loyal to me, my pack, and the office you hold?” He watched the seated man squirm, only to grip the armrests and bend his neck as far it could go.

“Y...Yes, Alpha.” The voice shook the Beta to his bones, urging his wolf to submit and to quiver in fear.

“Do you uphold all laws set by our governing body, including the new law involving cernunnos and other former prey shapeshifters?” The Alpha watched as his friend and advisor shook. He received submission from Walter, along with an affirmative response. “Have you been conspiring against me?”

“No! No, Alpha! N-never!”

“Finally, do you wish…” Arric leaned his face close to the shivering wolf and softly uttered in his most fearsome tone, “...to hunt cernunnos? To kill them, to eat them, or to slaughter them for fun?”

Walter’s feet wrapped around the legs of the chair and cowered as much as he could. “N-n-no! I...I’ve never! Never hunted them!”

Arric inhaled the scent of his Beta’s fear and knew that the truth was being told. He let his voice clear and walked behind his desk. “I trust you, my Beta. You speak the truth. Please accept my apologies for mistrusting you.”

The Beta began breathing heavily. I...I hate doing that! That makes it the third time in all my years! I know it’s necessary, especially in this scenario, but it doesn’t make it any easier. “It...it is quite alright...my friend. It was needed.” Walter coughed and did his best to sit up straight, but the effects still lingered. “What is going on, Alpha Claude? Give me all the details.”

“As you probably smelled, there was one surviving cernunnos. He will be staying with me, under the direct supervision of the squad that saved him from Eike’s attack.”

“And who makes up the squad?”

“The Tracking Trio.”

Walter leaned back in his seat, collecting himself and soaking in the information. Farren and the Turbins. That’s a good selection, but why? “If I may ask, what led to you choosing them for this task?”

Arric scooted his chair back and kicked his feet up onto the desk, “They’re the ones that saved the cern. Shea drove off Eike with Kara and Jaime backing him. Eike would have lost the fight if it came to one.”

“I see. So, care to tell me where they are?”

“The trail. Kara and Shea have Cyn while I have you here. Speaking of which, I need to message Shea to come on back.” Pulling his phone from his pocket, Arric sent the commander a text to return. “There has been an... issue come up though, and I need your input.”

“What is it?”

“Far be it for me to tell, but Cyn, the cern, seems to have taken a liking to our tracking commander. Sheamus is the only one the deer is comfortable to be around and has an issue with being alone for lengths of time.”

That is a rather big issue! Well, not for Farren. Kudos to the young one, but he is our finest tracker. If anyone is to find Eike and his location, it needs to be Sheamus! “No one else has been around the cern to be deemed trustworthy?”

“Jaime and Kara are being warmed up, but it is taking time. Cernunnos have a great judgement of character, even without properly meeting a new person. One glance or sniff, and they can be written out for good. Even I’m having a hard time getting the kid to open up.”

“Forgive me Arric, but you are an Alpha. Anyone with a nose can smell that! Of course, that deer will be frightened by just knowing you’re around. I’m honestly shocked he can be in the same building as you!”

He’s got a point. Cyn did seem a lot better around me when we spoke in the kitchen, but he was still ready to piss himself. “That’s why I needed you, Walt. Where do I go from here? Until Cyn can be left by himself or another trustworthy pack member, I can’t send Farren out.”

Walter brushed his thinning white beard with his fingers. “Have you tried bribery?” Earning a raised eyebrow from his fearless leader, the Beta merely laughed, “Go have your staff find some acorns in the woods. Deer love them and make sure whoever hands them to this Cyn fellow owns a truthful and honest attitude. They must possess a pure heart and be seen as a fearless, but gentle leader.”

Arric nodded in thought. There aren’t many who fit that bill. He looked at Walter with a furrowed brow, but it lightened up as he grinned. “I know someone, and he’ll be perfect.”

Fifteen chapters in! This has been such a fantastic journey, and I can not stop thinking about this story! I want to thank all the readers for joining me on this adventure. Your reactions and comments are greatly appreciated! Writing for this book has been vastly different from the In the Shadows series, but I will say this story is much more difficult to control. Between Cyn's mental structure and carefully constructing the plot points, I feel that I am on my toes!
Once again, thank you for reading, and I look forward to your comments!
Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 38
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Bribery through a gift of acorns ... from someone with a pure heart, an honest and truthful attitude and is a gentle but fearless leader. I don't like the idea of bribery but introducing Cyn to such a person would be a plus providing it doesn't interfere with Cyn's attachment to Shea.

I'm not a fan of it either, but the pack leaders must take some sort of action. They need their tracking commander, and as much as I want to see Cyn and Shea at the hip for the rest of eternity, Eike needs to be found! Considering that the rumors are brewing, the pack leaders can't go out on their own manhunt. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

One thing I'm puzzled about is this issue of Priscila and need of proof. Can't Arric do the same scan he gave Walter to determine her loyalty?

I'm certain Arric can, but I think his first priority was to ascertain whether his Beta could be trusted. Whether or not Priscilla, or any of the other suspected treasonous members will come quietly is the question. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I'd say they have a very large problem. Finding the site of the slaughter of an entire deer herd should have been easy. They would be spread out and the smell of blood strong.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I'm so pleased to introduce Walter in this story! He's going to be such an interesting character and an invaluable asset to the team. To whom will bring the acorns...only one way to find out!

Thank you for this comment! I am delighted to know you are a fan of the stories! What'chu mean 'long ago?' I only started midway last year! 

Oh, I'm sure Eike is plotting something. He has to know something about the deer being kept alive...

Another lovely comment from Patch! Lots of feelings in this chapter, and so many more to come! Just like there will be many more 'what is this' moments from Cyn. 

Only midway last year? Man, this pandemic is seriously affecting how time flies for me! 🤦🏻‍♂️

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I loved the chapter!  There must be more than one mole for Walt to have heard something.  It's great that he's loyal, seems to be smart.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
21 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

What is it about Cyn, other than he wasn't killed with the others that makes Elke so desperate to kill him?

I mean, Elke has to know he's been identified via the mole/traitor and is the subject of an intensifying manhunt. What other secrets might Cyn hold, including those he may not fully be aware of????

If the only witness disappears before a trial in the ordinary world, the case is over because the accused has the right to face the accuser. Perhaps the same applies here.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JACC said:

Only midway last year? Man, this pandemic is seriously affecting how time flies for me! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah! I'm pretty new at writing, bud! This pandemy has been messing with my time schedule...

8 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

This has been a terrific fifteen, and I am hoping for fifteen more! I have grown really attached to these characters, and I am anxious to see what is next for them. Of course I am wanting some romance, and some sizzle, from Cyn and Shea! Do cernunnos sizzle? 🤭

Thanks Jeffrey! At this pace, I can't help but say that I have no clue how many chapters this book will hold.

Be careful now. We don't want to think about cooking venison in this story...

6 hours ago, drsawzall said:

What is it about Cyn, other than he wasn't killed with the others that makes Elke so desperate to kill him?

I mean, Elke has to know he's been identified via the mole/traitor and is the subject of an intensifying manhunt. What other secrets might Cyn hold, including those he may not fully be aware of????

I believe drpaladin answered this with his above comment. It could also be a case of "the one that got away," but we won't know until the bad guy shows up!

5 hours ago, CincyKris said:

I loved the chapter!  There must be more than one mole for Walt to have heard something.  It's great that he's loyal, seems to be smart.  

Or it might be whispers from the hospital, or even the lower members of the tracking team. 

5 hours ago, drpaladin said:

If the only witness disappears before a trial in the ordinary world, the case is over because the accused has the right to face the accuser. Perhaps the same applies here.

No doubt a trial will be held, but I don't think Arric wil give much room for Eike to defend himself.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It's strange, how long did Cyn lived with humans? If they only turn close to puberty I would have thought he would have experienced more human technology when he was a kid. I wonder if being so attuned with their animal side maxed cernunnos forget some of what they lived before turning.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Sweetlion said:

It's strange, how long did Cyn lived with humans? If they only turn close to puberty I would have thought he would have experienced more human technology when he was a kid. I wonder if being so attuned with their animal side maxed cernunnos forget some of what they lived before turning.

 

I've felt that a flashback chapter (of sorts) has been in order, or at least a full in-depth explanation from Cyn of how cernunnos are raised. All we know from the chapters is that they tend to live in very rural towns, so very little Internet access or things we take for granted (cellphones). He was floored in discovery of what a bed was used for, so we can assume he didn't have that, and most likely slept on the floor or on a pad. Lots to be left for open interpretation, but I suggest taking a walk through your home and assume what a nomadic deer would own or deem completely unnecessary. Bye-Bye, can openers! Heck, Bye-Bye cans of food?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 hours ago, drpaladin said:

If the only witness disappears before a trial in the ordinary world, the case is over because the accused has the right to face the accuser. Perhaps the same applies here.

Cyn is not the only witness, Sheamus and his team know what happened, additionally, Cyn has given testimony to the pack, I think in this case pack laws would overrule 'human'! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
30 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Cyn is not the only witness, Sheamus and his team know what happened, additionally, Cyn has given testimony to the pack, I think in this case pack laws would overrule 'human'! 

They didn't witness the actual attack. They drove some wolves off, but without Cyn they could claim they just happened to be there.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It’s getting interesting. I can’t wait to see who the alpha has in mind. I’m drawing a blank. Maybe someone who doesn’t want the job? Their residence would be fun to watch.

Eeek.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Mrsgnomie said:

It’s getting interesting. I can’t wait to see who the alpha has in mind. I’m drawing a blank. Maybe someone who doesn’t want the job? Their residence would be fun to watch.

Eeek.

I'll pull a @kbois.

🤐

Edited by astone2292
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Just now, astone2292 said:

I'll pull a kbois.

🤐

Why would you do something like that? I thought you were of sound character?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Just now, Mrsgnomie said:

Why would you do something like that? I thought you were of sound character?

I've been working in the retail industry since I was eleven. I'm actually insane. Just haven't been sent off to the loony bin yet. Ever been yelled at by a lady with frizzy hair over a $5.98 bag of fish sticks and respond with, "Hey, Susan." ?

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Why would you do something like that? I thought you were of sound character?

We're now besties..remember, he hates coconut too!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..