Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,754 Words
  • 2,462 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 48. Chapter 48

More? Arric frowned and took Kieran’s hands into his own. “Sorry, Key. I don’t think it’ll be smart to be together like that while you’re going through your behavioral changes. Does that make sense?”

Kieran stepped back with his hands held. “That… that makes sense. Sorry, Alpha. I guess I saw you in a new light, with being your beta and all. When will the changes stop?”

“They can take up to a few days, but beta promotions tend to last longer. You’ll probably start thinking clearer in four to six days.”

The beta grimaced. “I understand. So I shouldn’t be around you?”

“I didn’t say that.” Arric looped an arm around Kieran, landing a hand on the slender waist. “I’d like to monitor your changes. You know, as your boyfriend.” He gave the wolf a smile, and earned one in return. He’ll be fine, but I’m not sure how his eidetic memory and knowledge will affect his change. I wouldn’t be surprised if it either prolongs or shortens the timeline.

Assuring him that his emotions weren’t causing any contagious effects to Kieran, the two walked hand-in-hand back to the living room. Shea had taken the liberty of ordering a pizza delivery for the four. “You two get everything sorted out?”

“Yep!” Kieran answered, “I just have to deal without cuddles for a few days.”

Arric growled sultrily, “I didn’t say cuddles were off limits.” As he sat, he pulled on Kieran’s waist, sending the lanky man tumbling next to him with a yelp. “I’ll be damned if I miss out on all contact.”

Chuckling, Shea nuzzled Cyn’s neck. “I gotta admit, Alpha. You two make an adorable power couple!”

“And you two are so sweet together, it almost gives me a stomachache. How ‘bout we start a movie?

The mention of a film clearly interested Cyn. He whispered into the enforcer’s ear, causing the burly wolf to snort. “I’m sure they don’t mind, pup.” Shea turned back to Arric, “Mind if we put on a racing movie?”

Arric tossed the remote to him. “You like cars, Cyn?”

The deer nodded. “Yeah. They go fast.”

“Shea told me you also like running. Plan on entering the city marathon in a few months? I could use a running partner this year.”

“Is that okay? I saw the man in the video Sheamus showed me, and it made me want to run like him.”

Arric raised an eyebrow. In response, Shea whispered, “Usain Bolt.”

The alpha snickered, “Well, I can’t run as fast as that guy, but I see where your ambition comes from. We’ll get you a pair of new shoes and go on the trail in the afternoon, all right?”

***

True to the alpha’s promise, Cyn was taken back to the clothing store. He immediately was infatuated by their wall of shoes. There’s so many! Increasing his pace, he practically dragged Shea towards the display.

The wolf pointed out the many different types of footwear, but Cyn became focused when the athletic ones were mentioned. Those work boots are too clunky. A human worker came to assist, and after narrowing down Cyn’s intentions, she brought a few options to him.

The lime-green pair caught his eye, but they didn’t feel snug around his ankles. They’re not like the ones Kara gave me. Next, he was given sky-blue ones. When he tried them on, Cyn wasn’t comfortable with how tall they made him feel when taking a few steps. Lastly, the lady brought out a vibrantly red pair. Picking them up, Cyn’s face lit up. They’re so light! Lighter than the ones I had! He hastily took out the packaging inside the shoe and slipped them on. His heart soared as he took a few hops and paced around his mate. “These!”

Shea asked the saleslady to bring out two pairs in Cyn’s size. When the lady returned, she also showed the same shoe in blue, prompting the cernunnos to smile even harder. Carrying the boxes to the register, his mood soured when Shea slid his card. “I want to pay you back.”

The wolf put away his wallet and smiled. “You’re my mate. My money is your money.”

“But that’s not fair! I don’t have any money to share with you.”

Scratching his head, Shea hummed. “Maybe we can find some work for you. I’m sure Arric can come up with something, but I’d prefer you wait until after Kieran finishes your education, okay?” Walking out of the story, he whispered, “The humans behave a little differently than what you’re used to seeing. It might take you a while to get used to them.”

Looking around, he noticed several people walking to and from various parked cars. “How so?”

“I worked a fast-food job back in high school. You’d be surprised at the things people get petty about. In certain jobs, some humans demand perfection.”

Perfection? “How can they ask for something that’s impossible?”

“Let me think,” Shea murmured. “Okay, say you’re at a restaurant and you order a salad with ranch dressing. When the food comes, you’re given vinaigrette. How would you feel?”

Cyn imagined the proposed scenario. He liked both of the dressings Sheamus mentioned. “I’d be happy with the vinaigrette.”

“But you ordered ranch. Wouldn’t you want what you asked for? Remember, this is a restaurant. You, as the customer, are paying money for the food you want.”

The deer shook his head as they reached the car. “I’m grateful for the food given to me.”

Shea growled and held him close. The contact made Cyn shiver as the large body pressed against his back. “That’s why I love you, pup. You see the world in a way a lot of people should.”

The two got in the Camry and made their way back to the manor. Entering, Arric could be seen in the living room with a tight, gray shirt and black shorts. “Ready for a run? I’m interested to see how fast you are.”

Shea patted Cyn on the rear. “Let’s go get changed. Wear something comfortable and cool.” The couple escalated the stairs. Mimicking the alpha, they both chose shorts, while Cyn picked a long-sleeve and Shea a t-shirt. Going back downstairs, Shea rolled his shoulders. “Take it easy on me, you two. I’m an endurance runner, not a sprinter.”

“Time to change that, Farren. Your mate’s species are experts at both speed and maintaining it.” The alpha led the way through the back door and into the yard. “We’ll be taking the trail. One of the hunters will be following along from a distance, just in case there are some humans running around. I’ll take point, Shea. Cyn? I know it’ll be tempting, but try not to go too fast. I want us to stick together.”

Shea nodded and said, “Yes, Alpha.”

Cyn looked between the two men. He shyly smiled and whispered, “Yes, Alpha.”

Arric and Shea shared glances for grins. Tightening his hair-tie, the alpha walked towards the trailhead with the couple following him. A brisk breeze passed through Cyn’s legs. I think I’ll warm up after we start running.

As the thought ended, Arric started jogging. Cyn was comfortable with the pace, but often found himself at the alpha's side.

"Don't worry; we'll go a bit faster once we get warmed up." Arric's statement brightened Cyn's mood. After a quarter-mile, the wolf sped up. This is a good pace. His legs were heated from the exercise, and the chilled air blowing felt phenomenal as sweat dropped from his forehead.

Once again, Cyn closed in on Arric. His deer's mind itched for a sprint. "Arric? Can we go faster?"

Glancing at him, Arric chuffed. "Ready for a sprint, Shea?"

"Yes, sir! Just don't get too far ahead, pup."

"Ha!" Arric laughed, "You're insinuating he's faster than me."

The statement lingered on Cyn's mind, but he heard his buck snort. Right. We are faster! The three picked up speed, and Cyn was alarmed at Arric's pace. He's fast!

Determined, he increased his stride. Being shorter, he knew he was at a disadvantage, so he put more power into his legs. He heard Sheamus' steps behind him, but he was more focused on the man in front. Their sprint lasted nearly a minute with none of them gaining traction on the other. Gritting his teeth, Cyn gave a final push. He managed to catch up to Arric!

But the wolf huffed and sped further away. He… he was holding back? Try as he might, the deer couldn't go faster.

Arric slowed to a halt, clearly winded. "That… was good! You're pretty quick, Cyn."

His calves burned as he stopped short of the leader. Hands on his knees, Cyn gasped for air. "I… I couldn't go faster."

Shea clapped his back and puffed noisily. "Was that your first time running in your human form?”

“Oth… Other than when I was a kid, yeah.”

The alpha’s head snapped around. “What? I don’t believe that!”

“It’s true,” Cyn whispered and shrugged. “Running on two legs was different than doing it on four.”

“That’s true. I was listening to your breathing, and I think with some practice, you could outrun me!” Arric smiled and placed a hand on the cernunnos’ shoulder. “Have Shea show you some videos on techniques.”

“Techniques?”

“Yep. Breathing, stride, pacing… there’s many factors that go into running and sprinting.” Turning, Arric started walking. “C’mon, Farrens! Plenty of trail left to go!”

***

Running in the outskirts of the forest, he caught a glimpse at the isolated gas station. Dipping his nose down, he managed to slip the backpack off. Shifting, he quickly put on clothes and trekked closer. No headlights. Just a quick in and out. Pulling over his hood, Eike approached.

There was only one car parked behind the building. Employee. It’s pretty dented, so the worker’s probably a kid or something. Should be easy pickings. He had the intention of entering, grabbing as much as he could, and fleeing. Just as he stepped up to the front door, the newspaper stand caught his attention. He saw someone familiar.

Taking a step back, he growled. Turbins! On the front page! Eike skimmed the article, but kept finding himself staring at the picture. That’s the rabbit’s bar! What’s the date on this damned thing? That was a couple weeks ago!

Who’s the scrawny guy next to Rogier? Looks scared or someth—

Widening his eyes in disbelief, Eike fished in his bag for spare change.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 33
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

The mechanics of running on four legs is different than running on two, so Cyn not immediately running off and leaving everyone wasn't a surprise. Until now Cyn has spent little time in his human form. He's been doing exceptionally well adapting to living in the human world again.

Eike has fallen really low to be resorting to snatch and grabs at a convenience store. Reading his calculation on the clerk probably being a kid reminded me of a scene in the Coen Brothers film, Raising Arizona. The Nicolas Cage character tries to rob a c-store only to be confronted by a skinny, pimple faced clerk with a Smith & Wesson M-29 .44 Magnum sporting an 8 3/8 inch barrel. It's one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.

So now he knows what Cyn looks like in human form. Not good.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Beautiful chapter. I love how it reminded me of how much I miss running the deer trails at Camp Tesomas up here in the northwoods. Viva boy scouts. Even the trails down in the kettle don't feel as beautiful and homey as the ones there.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Loved this chapter!!!  Great seeing Cyn getting more familiar with the human side of things.  He missed out on so much....  It was fun seeing him getting so excited over a pair of running shoes.  You "painted" that picture perfectly.  🖌️ It really is the simple things in life.  I never gave much thought to the simple things until recent events in my life happened.  Now every little thing is so very important.  It is good therapy for me to "see" it in Cyn's story.  

Watching Arric and Kieran's relationship grow is great.  The big Alpha is a gentlemen (for now hahahaha).  2 power couples!! :heart: All this and a "mini" cliffhanger!!!  I like the idea of a car hitting Eike!  Maybe teach Cyn how to drive, since he loves racing movies... Splat!!!  Roadkill!!!  (insert maniacal laughter)  Notice no lightning .... yet... Oh wait, Cyn runs Eike over during a thunderstorm just as Eike is struck by lightning! 🌩️ There we go!!!!  Bahahahahahaha

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The mechanics of running on four legs is different than running on two, so Cyn not immediately running off and leaving everyone wasn't a surprise. Until now Cyn has spent little time in his human form. He's been doing exceptionally well adapting to living in the human world again.

Eike has fallen really low to be resorting to snatch and grabs at a convenience store. Reading his calculation on the clerk probably being a kid reminded me of a scene in the Coen Brothers film, Raising Arizona. The Nicolas Cage character tries to rob a c-store only to be confronted by a skinny, pimple faced clerk with a Smith & Wesson M-29 .44 Magnum sporting an 8 3/8 inch barrel. It's one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.

So now he knows what Cyn looks like in human form. Not good.

I'll have to look up that movie. That scene sounds hilarious! 

5 hours ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Beautiful chapter. I love how it reminded me of how much I miss running the deer trails at Camp Tesomas up here in the northwoods. Viva boy scouts. Even the trails down in the kettle don't feel as beautiful and homey as the ones there.

I think my favorite scout camp was Ho-Non-Wah in South Carolina. Very clean and calm, and well maintained compared to others. We tried not to travel too far, but HNW was a very special exception. 

2 hours ago, Patch1 said:

Loved this chapter!!!  Great seeing Cyn getting more familiar with the human side of things.  He missed out on so much....  It was fun seeing him getting so excited over a pair of running shoes.  You "painted" that picture perfectly.  🖌️ It really is the simple things in life.  I never gave much thought to the simple things until recent events in my life happened.  Now every little thing is so very important.  It is good therapy for me to "see" it in Cyn's story.  

Watching Arric and Kieran's relationship grow is great.  The big Alpha is a gentlemen (for now hahahaha).  2 power couples!! :heart: All this and a "mini" cliffhanger!!!  I like the idea of a car hitting Eike!  Maybe teach Cyn how to drive, since he loves racing movies... Splat!!!  Roadkill!!!  (insert maniacal laughter)  Notice no lightning .... yet... Oh wait, Cyn runs Eike over during a thunderstorm just as Eike is struck by lightning! 🌩️ There we go!!!!  Bahahahahahaha

I'm glad I can use my art degree in my writing! 

Teehee... splat. I doubt we'll see Cyn behind the wheel, but good thought! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I love this comment! I was never a fan of running until I went freerunning in the woods during a Boy Scouts campout. That was a blast!

This is, perhaps, the most fitting proposed end to the plot... I like it.

@Yeoldebard how about a bus full of nuns...lawyers....boy scouts...take your pick @astone2292

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Great chapter!  You made me want to like running.  You would have to be a mage to actually make me like running!  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

@Yeoldebard how about a bus full of nuns...lawyers....boy scouts...take your pick @astone2292

We'll skip the scouts. They might hit Eike and want to use their first aid merit badges to mend the wolf...

2 hours ago, CincyKris said:

Great chapter!  You made me want to like running.  You would have to be a mage to actually make me like running!  

Glad I can magically encourage exercise lol. 

Thank y'all for reading!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

For every evil, there is an equal and opposite good. With no Eike, there would be no Cyn. 

Eike is, in his own right, a blessing

  • Love 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Affinitylink said:

Well, obviously vinaigrette is superior to ranch, so who wouldn't be pleased with that substitution 🤔😁

I dunno... I like my ranch, particularly a southwest ranch.

 

5 hours ago, RafaelDe said:

For every evil, there is an equal and opposite good. With no Eike, there would be no Cyn. 

Eike is, in his own right, a blessing

I agree that Eike's actions towards Cyn is a blessing in disguise. Without that terrible attack, Cyn wouldn't have found the support system he's involved in now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Dan South said:

“I’m grateful for the food given to me.”
Cyn summed up in a single line of dialogue.

I wish more people in this world were like Cyn. 

Uh oh. Got a spark of inspiration. Now I gotta take Shea and Cyn to LA. What would our little deer do if he got to go to Hell's Kitchen and watch Gordon Ramsay berate the contestants. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, astone2292 said:

I wish more people in this world were like Cyn. 

Uh oh. Got a spark of inspiration. Now I gotta take Shea and Cyn to LA. What would our little deer do if he got to go to Hell's Kitchen and watch Gordon Ramsay berate the contestants. 

Follow that inspiration, Mr. Stone 😂

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..