Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,126 Words
  • 3,204 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 17. Chapter 17

Shea’s heart could not decide to beat faster or stop beating. He wants to what? Stealing a look at the Beta, Walter could provide no answer either. “Cyn? You...why do you want to go with me?”

Cyn was rigid but his fingers kept fidgeting at his side. He swallowed and worked up his voice, “I...I don’t want to see you go.”

“Is this about breaking away from the herd?” The deer’s head nodded and Shea felt the need to smile, “I will not be going away like you think I will. But I don’t think it would be a good idea for you to come along.”

“Why not, Farren?” The deep voice caused Shea to step aside and do a quarter-turn. Arric was leaning in the doorway behind the commander but had his attention on Cyn. “Walter, you seem to think the same as our commander. Tell me, do you know which animal has the strongest sense of smell in America?”

Walter leaned against the countertop behind him and crossed his arms, “That would be bears, sir.”

“Now, the runner up?”

A grumble came from the Beta as he thought, “Wild hogs, if I remember correctly.”

“And after hogs?”

“Wolves.”

“Wrong.” Arric smirked and shoved his hands in his pants pockets, “Sheamus?”

“I was going to guess wolves, but that’s wrong.”

Cyn watched the Alpha turn to him from across the kitchen with a thin but caring smile, “Cyn? Care to wager a guess?”

The cernunnos trembled for a moment but wet his lips and looked at the Alpha, speaking meekly, “Deer?” He felt both Walter and Shea’s gazes on him, but couldn’t take his own away from Arric.

“Absolutely correct.”

“What?” Walter almost sounded indignant but kept his tone subdued, “I’m confused, Arric.”

Arric strolled further into the kitchen to pour himself a cup of coffee. As he reached in the cabinet for a cup, he snickered to himself, “Why is it that a herd of deer will sense their predator first? Although wolves have a hunting mindset, the deer, as well as elk and the other branches of species, have a stronger sense of smell and sight. We tend to be smarter by staying downwind of our prey, but that will not stop deer from knowing we are there. It is like starting a brush fire. If the wind is blowing, do the people downwind just not smell the smoke?”

“No, sir.” Walter stopped eating his handful of roasted acorns. Out of curiosity, Arric nabbed a few and chewed them. “I suppose you are right, but...you are not suggesting sending Cyn out there, are you? There are so many issues with this scenario!”

Arric munched on another acorn, finding the snack to be delectable. “Such as?”

Walter let a breath out from his nose and turned to the buck, “Cyn, I do not mean offense, but I don’t see a deer being comfortable around a small pack of wolves.”

Shea scratched his head, "Well, I'm not so sure about that. Cyn shifted back at the hospital and he wasn't frightened around me."

“What? You...you are joking with me, right?” Walter’s face expressed nothing but shock at the news. He looked to the deer in curiosity, “Is this true, Cyn?”

“Yes, but Sheamus was in his human form. I...I don’t know how I would handle seeing him as a wolf.”

The Alpha leaned against the refrigerator and smirked, “Would you like to?”

Cyn turned to Shea, whose face had grown a shade of pink at the suggestion. The buck thought about the possibility. I...I don’t know. I saw a glimpse of him back in the forest, but I thought I was going to die! “M-maybe.”

“Cyn, if you wish to go with Sheamus, then we need to know if you can handle being around wolves. That’s the only way.” Arric set his ruling, earning concerned glances from Shea and Walter.

The buck felt the pressure from the statement. His breathing became heavier but was quickly leveled when Shea dropped to a knee in front of him. “You know that I would never hurt you, little man. The same goes for every wolf in this room. I...I would like for you to see my wolf.”

A silent gasp came from Cyn’s lunges. He wants me to see it! I don’t...I think. The buck closed his eyes and tried to will forward any shred of bravery in his soul. I...want to. I need to! “Yes.”

“Yes? Yes to seeing my wolf?” The lycan watched the shorter man slowly nod, and let his smile show as the nod grew more dominant. Cyn’s getting braver. I don’t know if that’s from being around us for so long or what. But I’m really happy he’s taking a step forward for once! “Alright, I’ll be right back. Just remember, I won’t hurt you. I’m going up the stairs and I’ll come back down as a wolf, okay? When I come down, I’ll just lay on the floor and you can approach me at your own pace.”

Earning a gentle smile from the deer, Shea turned around and bounded up the staircase. Cyn did his best to keep his breathing under control. A hand fell on his shoulder, giving him a scare. “Easy, young one! It’s just me.” Craning to see Walter, Cyn let out a quickened sigh of relief. Echoed sounds of bones snapping brought his attention towards the stairs. He’s shifting! Sheamus is going to come...as a wolf.

The buck’s breath caught as the dark charcoal-gray wolf slowly trekked down the staircase. Cyn’s nerves were strung out and it took every ounce of mental stability to remember that the wolf was his friend. It...it’s Sheamus. I know it is him but I’m scared stiff! Breathe! Just breathe! Forcing his body to inhale, Cyn felt his heartbeat decreasing its pace. As soon as the dark wolf landed on the floor, it laid prone on its stomach, just as Shea promised. Okay, he’s laying down. The cernunnos knew he needed to calm down.

Several moments and countless breaths went by before Cyn took his first step. The tender grip on his shoulder was released, causing the buck to turn to the Beta. “Go on. You can do this, Cyn. It’s just Shea.”

Right. It’s just Sheamus. It isn’t a wolf that wants...to eat me! Terror flew into his mind but Cyn stomped it down. No! That is Sheamus! He’s...he’s my friend! The buck took several motivated steps forward and realized he was within arm’s reach of the wolf. Shea’s ember eyes did their best to keep from causing eye contact and merely cocked his head slightly. Cyn recognized the body language as a curious reaction. I probably shocked him! Hell, I just shocked myself by getting this close!

Taking one more step, Cyn began to look over the wolf. I...I am standing in front of a wolf! This...this is so crazy! My heart wants me to run away in fear, but I know that’s not the answer. The buck knelt down and licked his lips, taking a nibbling bite at his lower lip. He reached out his hand and aimed for the paw. I just...I need to touch him. I need to know that it is okay. After pulling away a couple of times, Cyn gracefully touched the wolf’s limb, feeling the soft fur against his skin. I did...I did it! I touched it! Him! I...touched Sheamus’ wolf!

“My word. In all my years.” Cyn turned to see both Walter and Arric in pure awe.

“You aren’t the only one, my Beta. This will be one of my most treasured memories. Cyn, I know we aren’t very well acquainted, but I am incredibly proud of you!” Arric placed his hands on his hips and gave the deer a warm smile. “Don’t just stop at the paw. Give your friend a pet! Just a tip, Farren likes the base of his ears scratched.”

The base of the...wait… Cyn looked back at the dark wolf. The body had stayed but Shea moved his head closer to the paw Cyn was touching. “Sh-Sheamus? Do...do you want me to?” A sharp exhalation from the beast’s nostrils served as an affirmative. Cyn lifted his hand and slowly placed it on Shea’s head. His fur...it’s so soft! I didn’t know that wolves could so gentle! Remembering what the Alpha had said, Cyn curled his finger and rubbed the fur-covered crease between the wolf’s skull and ear. Instinctively, the buck pulled back as he heard a thumping across the floor, followed by a whimper. That...that was his tail? Did he like that?

Rubbing the same spot once again, the thumping continued and Cyn looked up to see his thoughts were accurate. The thick tail was practically pounding the floor behind the wolf’s body. Seeing his friend in bliss, Cyn stopped and repositioned himself closer to the wolf and began once again. I can’t believe I’m doing this! I’m petting a wolf! “I’m doing it!” For several minutes, the buck moved his hands to different parts of the wolf’s body. Making long strokes across Shea’s back proved to be relaxing for both parties.

Shea lifted his head to face Cyn and the deer seemed unmoved by the motion. The wolf made another snorting sound, relaying his wishes. Cyn swallowed and nodded. Well, I made it this far. I think I can handle that. “Sure.” Rising to his feet, the deer watched the wolf slowly rise as well, as to avoid disturbing Cyn’s emotions. Shea took a few steps towards the Beta, clicking his nails on the hardwood floor. He then turned around, facing the buck, and walked.

Cyn shuddered for a moment, causing Shea to halt. “It’s...it’s okay. I’m fine. Keep going.” Earning the buck’s approval, Shea continued until the wolf rubbed his body against Cyn’s leg and side. I just had Sheamus walk up to me!

“Bravo, Cyn! I can’t even hold back my thoughts. I thought this would take a while, but you are, possibly, the bravest cernunnos to ever exist!” Hearing the words of pride coming from Walter’s lips, Cyn immediately blushed and returned his attention to Shea.

Arric took a step forward and looked between the two shifters, “Now for the real test. Cyn, I hope your nerves have learned to steel themselves.” The Alpha watched the deer’s throat rise and fall, “You have touched a wolf, so now you must hear one. Sheamus, I want you to give us a woof, a bark, and then a howl.”

Cyn blinked wildly and did his best to prepare for the new test. He...Sheamus is going to spea-

Shea let a sharp and acknowledging tone from his muzzle, startling the deer. Holy! That...that was scary! Holding his heart, Cyn tried to calm himself. That wasn’t so bad, was it? He just gave a simple yes to Arric.

“Now, bark.” An even sharper, yet more sinister noise came from the wolf, shaking Cyn to his core. That was scarier! That was a bark? Sheamus must have a deeper voice than I thought! What did Arric want from him next? A...howl?

Cyn watched the wolf with an increasing amount of spirit. The longer I stand here and be near him, the...the wolf part of him doesn’t seem so terrifying. “Sheamus? You...you can go ahead and howl.” The wolf cocked his head sideways in pure confusion, but after receiving a nod from the Alpha, Shea dipped his head down. A low tone started from deep within the beast’s throat but turned higher pitched as Shea rose his head high, verberating his note and exclaiming his feelings of victory.

The buck was speechless at both the wolf and himself. He felt no sense of fear within his heart or mind, and he considered the howl to be powerful. He announced his pride! It was so loud and clear! Standing in awe, Cyn barely registered Shea's advancement. The wolf rubbed against the buck's leg once again, causing Cyn to lay his hand on the wolf's head. "That...that was nice, Sheamus."

Arric darted his eyes towards his Beta, "What do you think of that, Walt?"

"I'm still shocked! But, sir? I don't think it would be a wise choice to have Cyn out and about on a pack mission. I'm not doubting the combat skills, but having to track and protect might impede the trio's mission."

"Then it won't be their mission to protect."

Earning a confused glance from Walter, the Beta placed his hands at his sides, "Then whose will it be?"

The Alpha pushed himself away from his leaning post, "It will be mine."

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 34
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

I want to preface my comment as not intended as criticism just something for thought. Whitetail bucks weigh in at 100-300lbs with those in the northern parts of the US and Canada being on the larger end. Most trophies in my home state of PA weigh about the same an adult man. Male American gray wolves range from 75-140lbs. About the same or less than Cyn in human form. I don't know if your lycans exceed "normal" size. From the description of Shea rubbing his head against Cyn's thigh I would guess not in stature. This being the case Cyn and the wolves should be of comparable size. Of course this all calls up the disparity between the weight of an adult man and an adult wolf all dependent on how transmogrification works in your world. My whole point being that while Cyn in human form is noticeably smaller than the lycan in human form in animal form this wouldn't be the case. Also, deer are damned stealthy. I remember once being out in a secluded forrest meadow at dusk sky gazing only to suddenly realize that I was in the middle of a herd of grazing deer. Until I sat up I had no idea they were there ... some less than 15 feet away.

I am truly enjoying your story. Obviously, it's making me think about the interaction between two such differing shifter species.

I went back in this chapter to the rubbing part. It says Shea rubbed against Cyn's leg and side. Side would put him over hip height. In most stories lycans are larger and stronger than ordinary wolves as are shifters in general.  

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 5
Link to comment

You have truly mastered the art of the unexpected!  To have the Alpha be the protector of Cyn, just epic!!!  This was another great chapter in a litany of great chapters! :worship: Cyn is gaining confidence and trust in his relationship with Sheamus....  Better and better!!!  🦌:heart:🐺

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Patch1 said:

You have truly mastered the art of the unexpected!  To have the Alpha be the protector of Cyn, just epic!!!  This was another great chapter in a litany of great chapters! :worship: Cyn is gaining confidence and trust in his relationship with Sheamus....  Better and better!!!  🦌:heart:🐺

Thanks, Patch! Glad you liked this one! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The Art of the Unexpected! Truly an art you have made a part of your writing. You keep denegrating your writing skills. but to me you are truly standing near the apex of the authors on GA. I am at a loss for words to descrie the 'turn-around' you have created in me alone. My opinion of 'shape-shifter' stories, at least those you are writing as been completely midified in just the last few weeks. Congratulations and thank you.

Mister Will

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

The Art of the Unexpected! Truly an art you have made a part of your writing. You keep denegrating your writing skills. but to me you are truly standing near the apex of the authors on GA. I am at a loss for words to descrie the 'turn-around' you have created in me alone. My opinion of 'shape-shifter' stories, at least those you are writing as been completely midified in just the last few weeks. Congratulations and thank you.

Mister Will

Wow! I thought I was moved by the comment in the last chapter. Thank you very much, Mister Will! To turn someone's opinion of a genre around...I'm speechless. In two months' time, it will be my one year anniversary of when I started writing as a hobby. It's a somber and thrilling thought that's been on my mind, but I can now include thrilling as an appropriate adjective to my feelings. 

Thank you. I hope you'll get caught up with the current events in Cernunnos, and in any spare time or if you haven't already, continue on with the In the Shadows series. Thank you again for your kind words.

-Aaron

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I thought this chapter was very sweet. Cyn is so very brave! We’re expecting Cyn to forget YEARS (decades? I don’t know how old he is) of biological training in a matter of hours, days. That’s no easy feat. He has spent his entire life being hunted by wolves and watching his herd be killed.  I know he’s going to go with Shea, I’m sure it will do fine, but I am STRESSED about it lol.

I think it’s pretty damn sweet that Alpha is going. True leadership right there. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

I thought this chapter was very sweet. Cyn is so very brave! We’re expecting Cyn to forget YEARS (decades? I don’t know how old he is) of biological training in a matter of hours, days. That’s no easy feat. He has spent his entire life being hunted by wolves and watching his herd be killed.  I know he’s going to go with Shea, I’m sure it will do fine, but I am STRESSED about it lol.

I think it’s pretty damn sweet that Alpha is going. True leadership right there. 

Brave, or just strongly attached to Shea? (I placed Cyn and Shea to be around 25/26 years old. Hindsight on my part for not clarifying that in earlier chapters. Note to self to fix when I edit this story.)

Oh, if you're stressed now then... 🤐

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, astone2292 said:

Brave, or just strongly attached to Shea? (I placed Cyn and Shea to be around 25/26 years old. Hindsight on my part for not clarifying that in earlier chapters. Note to self to fix when I edit this story.)

Oh, if you're stressed now then... 🤐

Hey, it doesn’t matter what makes him brave. I actually think that his attachment to Shea, and how it’s pushing him outside his bounds, is adorable.

now I’m really stressed…

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..