Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,472 Words
  • 2,592 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 49. Chapter 49

“Thanks, Des!”

Kieran looked back as he exited the coffee shop and waved to the usual barista. Strolling down the sidewalk, he sipped from the piping cup. The past few days had been exhilarating for the lycan. He found himself walking at a quicker pace, and all of his conversations seemed more productive. Arric said I’ve stopped slouching, so that explains the mobility, and I guess talking is part of the behavioral changes.

I don’t want to jump the gun, but I haven’t noticed anything different from how yesterday went. My changes might be done! Readjusting his book bag, he continued towards the library.

A few blocks away from his destination, he recognized the men about to pass him. “Hey, guys!”

Orson and Anton diverted their attention away from each other and smiled. Holding hands, they approached Kieran. “How’s it going, Beta Pritz!” The bear gave Kieran a light nudge on the shoulder. “It’s so awesome to see you being recognized, man! And you’re dating the alpha? You must be high on life!”

“I would be if Ari would quit cock-blocking me.” The beta turned to the shorter lycan. “How’s everything been, Anton? I’m guessing your surgery went well?”

Anton nodded. “Y-yes, Beta Pritz.”

“You know, just because I was made beta doesn’t mean I stopped being your friend.”

“Sorry, Kieran. I never got the chance to thank the council for saving me. Can you pass it along to Alpha Claude and Educator Haynes if I don’t see them before you do?”

“Sure!” Kieran grinned at the couple. “So what are you two doing out and about?”

Orson swung his arm attached to Anton’s cheerfully. “We’re heading to the bakery for some sweets. Need to fill my cub out a bit.”

The beta snickered. “I’ll let you two get to it then. Thought I’d mention it, but you two make an adorable couple.”

Toothily, Orson smiled. “Thanks! I still can’t get over Anton agreed to go on a date with me.”

The wolf latched onto the bear’s waist and giggled. “How can I say no to a big bear like you? You stayed by my side at the hospital.”

Kieran waved and walked around them. “Sorry, fellas. I gotta get going! See you at the meeting?” Getting confirmation, they parted ways. Checking his phone, he picked up the pace. Don’t want to be late! Walt’s officially taking over my lessons, so I want to say goodbye to the kids! Jogging the rest of the way, he made it to the library in a timely manner and waved to the receptionists.

“Kieran!”

Several of the teenagers yelled, prompting both Kieran and the nearby librarian to hush them. “Hey, guys. Let’s get everyone together and we’ll get started on reviewing the assignment I gave y’all.”

Heading to the conference room, all six teenagers swiftly chose their seats as Walter walked in. Once again, they were loud in seeing their usual substitute. “All right, all right! I’m glad to see you too. Has young Kieran told you the news yet?”

All of them shook their heads, some curious while others had smiles. Eli, Brynlyn, and Westley probably think I ordered lunch for them again! “I was about to tell them, but would you like the honors?”

Walter chuckled. “Might as well, considering I’m the new teacher around here!”

The six sat silently. It was Eli who spoke first, “You’re leaving, Kieran?”

“Yeah, but don’t worry! I’ll be back occasionally to substitute for Mr. Haynes, just as he did for me when I was sick. We’re actually trading jobs.”

Eli’s face scrunched up. Walter walked up to the boy and smiled. “No time to be mad or sad. Kieran and I have taught each other plenty, and I’m no longer able to do my old job. He’s offered to take my place on the agreement I take his.” Placing his hand on Eli’s shoulder, the lycan whispered, “He’s not saying good-bye. It’s a see you next time. Understand?”

The teen bit his lip and nodded. The elder wolf rose and scanned the room. “There won’t be too much of change. Kieran’s left me his planner for the rest of the semester, but I’ll be cutting back on the homework!”

The group clamored with praise, only stopping as Walter raised his hand. “With that in mind, I prefer in-class assignments and group work. I believe the current subject is pre-algebra, right Mr. Pritz?”

Kieran nodded. “Yep! I’ll sit back and let you take the reins.” He took an empty chair and rolled it to the far corner of the room. Collecting a notepad from his satchel, he sipped on his coffee and watched Walter go to work.

Before anyone knew, Walter’s alarm rang, signalling the end of class. “Everyone, turn in your homework and read up on the pythagorean theorem. We’ll have a review and quiz next Saturday!” With that said, the six gathered their supplies and left the room.

Before leaving, Eli stopped in front of Kieran. “Thanks for teaching us, Kieran.”

“It’s my pleasure! Thanks for being my student.” Sharing a smile, they parted ways, leaving Kieran alone with Walter. “That was great, Walt!”

“Eh. I felt a little rusty, but I think it’ll be fine. Just need to get into the swing of things.” Walter zipped his portfolio and tucked it under his arm. “How’re you handling your change?”

“I think I peaked. It feels different when I walk, but like you said; I’ll get used to it. And you? I noticed you were a little sweeter with the kids.”

Walter laughed. “Oh, really now? I suppose I’m handling it. I know my wolf was upset with the demotion, but he’s coming along. Viv’s been real sweet on me lately too. I guess being an educator isn’t too bad.” The two chuckled and walked out together.

Separating, Kieran waved at Walter. The beta swiftly brought his phone out and texted Arric. Hey, class with Walt just let out. You busy?

A few moments passed before getting a response. At the gym with Farrens. Cyn’s a beast!

No way! How much is he lifting?

He’s not. He’s on the treadmill, and hasn’t stopped running. It’s been almost an hour!

“Wow! I mean, he is a deer.” His thumbs flew across the keyboard. Tell him I said awesome job! You want to catch dinner later with your roomies?

Nearing his car, he waited for a response. Just as he pressed the button on his fob to unlock the Rav4, Arric’s message came. I’m down for dinner. Come around seven.

With the plans made, the wolf smiled and opened the door to head home.

***

“Mister Claude. Are you…”

Curious with Melinda’s trailed-off thought, Arric cast her a glance from the side. “I’m perfectly fine. I know it’s strange to see me like this, but I want to help. Don’t want to get too rusty, right?”

She giggled softly, “No, I suppose not. Make sure you add those chopped herbs to the butter just as it melts.”

“Roger that.” He scowled. “Melinda? When… when was the last time I thanked you?”

The human’s hands faltered as she adjusted the stove’s temperature. “Th-thanked me?”

“Yes. I can’t recall.”

“I… I can’t either.”

Arric bit his lip. I’ve been a fool. “I apologize, Miss Geppert. You’ve worked for years in this manor, and I never bothered to show my appreciation.” Somberly, he sighed. “You’ve fed me and my pack, and I can never repay you for that.”

From the corner of his eye, he saw her approach. “Mister Claude, what you just said was enough.” Her hand caressed his bicep. “I know you’re a leader to many here, and for you to stoop to apologize and thank me? It takes heart, and don’t think I’ve ignored your changes. That skinny one, Mister Cyn, is one to recognize.

“Since he’s come around, you’ve grown! Before, you were always brooding, or angry, or… or snarling. Him, and Kieran are lights in your life.”

Arric chuffed and stared at her eyes. “You’re a mother, aren’t you? You remind me of mine.”

Melinda tried to withhold her laugh, but failed. “I am, both in middle school. Jalen and Ariel.” She returned to her skillets, masterfully using a wooden spatula across them both. “The rolls should be done.”

“Right, I’ll grab them.” Slipping on a mitt, the alpha opened the oven. “Tell me about them.”

As he brushed the melted butter over the rolls, he listened to the human. Time was almost lost to the lycan. She’s so sweet. How could I have missed this? I could listen to her for hours.

“Alpha?” He looked behind him and saw the Farrens. “Kieran’s pulling in. I beefed up the security patrols for this evening while we’re out.”

“Nice work, Shea. Cyn, did you finish what I asked of you?”

The deer grinned. “They’re placed and lit, sir.”

“Arric, remember. It’s sir and alpha when in the field or when I give an order.”

“Yes… Alpha.”

He could only smile. Fast learner! “You two go out on the town, alright? And that’s an order.”

The couple gave their confirmation and departed through the garage door as instructed. Melinda put the finishing touches on the plates and brought them to the dining room. Just as the doorbell rang, she waved and left as well. It’s almost perfect.

He opened the front door to see the cheesy smile on Kieran’s face. Now it is. “Hey.”

“Hey, Alpha. Why’s it so dark in there?”

Arric chuckled and grabbed the slender hand. “I don’t know, let’s find out.”

***

Being led into the dimly lit home, Kieran tried to unravel what was going on. Food was just cooked. Bread, meat… chicken, and asparagus? Melinda was just here, and so were Cyn and Shea. As they went further, he smelled something burning. That smells like a wick. Candles?

Entering the dining room, he gasped. Only illuminated by several candles across the table, two full plates were placed; one where Arric usually sat, and one immediately to the chair’s right. Turning to the alpha, he saw Arric’s subtle grin and half-closed eyes. “Did you do this… for me?”

“Come, sit with me.” The whisper negated his ambition for knowledge. Arric pulled out the corner chair, prompting Kieran to sit. Only when both men were seated did the alpha answer, “Yes, but not without the help of Melinda. If I didn’t have her, then we would’ve had chinese food.”

“You didn’t have to—”

“Yes, I did,” Arric interrupted. “We haven’t had a proper dinner date, and I wanted tonight to be special. Just the two of us.” He smiled harder. “Before you ask, there’s extra on the patrol tonight, and the Farrens are out on a much needed… break. It’s just us tonight.”

Kieran examined the room once more, falling back to Arric. “This is nice,” he whispered.

The bigger man let go of his hand and picked up the copper utensils, but did not lower them. “As my date, I offer you the first bite.”

The beta exhaled from his nose with a grin. “Thank you.” Collecting his own, he cut a small piece of the savory chicken and chewed. When he swallowed, Arric repeated the motions. “So, is this just because?”

“Yes and no. Like I said, we haven’t had dinner together properly, and I also wanted to see you today. Your beta changes seem smoothed out.”

Kieran nodded. “Walt said I seemed pretty even. Apparently, I’m more confident now, but I don’t see how.”

“I see and smell it. Before, you had the smallest twinge of anxiety around me. Now, I don’t sense it at all.”

“Really? That’s pretty cool. Did you go through a change when you became Pack Alpha?”

Arric chuckled, breaking the subtle tone set. “Yep, and let me tell you; it’s not fun! Old Alpha Maire had to keep me locked up in this house for over a week. I was shouting make-believe policies and amendments before the first pack meeting!”

The statement became visual in Kieran’s mind, causing him to laugh. I can see that happening! “What were some of the suggested policies?”

“I can’t remember any of them. That was a very different version of me, and it took Maire’s voice to command my cocky wolf.”

“Your wolf is cocky, huh?”

The alpha squinted. “He used to be, but after the change was over, the cockiness was washed away with confidence.”

The two continued their chat slowly, taking bites between pauses. Once the food was gone, nothing could stop their conversation. Ending the topic involving Maire raised a question in Kieran’s mind. “Can I ask something?” When earned a simple nod, he continued, “What happened to your parents? Do… do you keep in touch?”

Arric took a moment, staring at a nearby candle. “It’s been a couple months, but I still talk with Mom. She misses me, as I do her. Dad, on the other hand, I haven’t said a word since they left all those years ago. I can’t tell if I offended him, or scared him.”

“Scared?”

“When we had our last argument, before I petitioned Maire to stay here, things didn’t end well.” A grimace came over Arric’s face. “I snapped at him. He threatened to take me away from my home, and my wolf wouldn’t stand for it. My friends were too valuable to leave behind, and I enjoyed my life here.”

Kieran saw his boyfriend trembling. He’s angered. Volatile memories? To pacify him, the beta put a hand on Arric’s thigh. Rubbing it softly seemed to soothe the beast within. “For what it’s worth, I’m glad you stayed,” he whispered. “The pack has flourished since Maire’s retirement, the air smells peaceful…

“And I wouldn’t have met you if you left.”

The alpha faced him; his eyes glowing from the flames. Still, Kieran could tell Arric was searching for something within his mind.

“Key… Kieran. Can I say something to you?”

“Always.”

“I’m… I’ve never felt this before, but I think I know what it is. I… I love you.”

The beta sat still, searching within himself. Gripping tighter onto Arric’s leg, he agreed. “I love you too.”

Without warning or hesitation, Arric scooted his chair back and stood. He took the two steps between him and Kieran, and stooped. Their lips met and moved slowly. By the third parting, Arric put a hand on the beta’s cheek, and with a lifting gesture on the chin, Kieran rose. The bodies pressed together, tongues fought, and hands roamed.

He moaned in Arric’s mouth as the alpha cupped his backside and squeezed. Being led backwards, Kieran's back touched the wall, only to shiver as he was cornered by the bigger man. Their faces separated, only for the alpha to grunt, “Bedroom?”

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 38
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just now, Yeoldebard said:

Something akin to a flight sim perhaps?

Oh boy... Cyn and Shea have a vacation sort of planned for Gatlinburg. How would Cyn react to being a passenger on a plane? Thoughts will be taking place for the eventual epilogue...

Maybe one day I'll let you borrow Cyn so Elias can show him... I'm sure my favorite neko would be happy to train a deer how to fly! There's already a standing request for us to do a collab. I foresee a PM conversation in the near future...

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

This was a pleasant interlude after the previous chapter. 

Arric's concerns about Key adapting smoothly to his new role we're unfounded. He's more than fine and Arric seems ready to go further with their relationship.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

This was a pleasant interlude after the previous chapter. 

Arric's concerns about Key adapting smoothly to his new role we're unfounded. He's more than fine and Arric seems ready to go further with their relationship.

Shea's going to need to teach Cyn a crucial lesson: If the walls are rocking, don't come a-knockin'.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Oh boy... Cyn and Shea have a vacation sort of planned for Gatlinburg. 

There are all sorts of interesting things there and in Pidgin Forge to blow Cyns mind!  Like the sky dive simulator! The mini golf on the side of the mountain is good too. Bet the tram to the top would make his eyes pop!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

 I got money on Cyn winning a staring contest...

Sigh... well now I have to put Elias up to the challenge. For the honour of nekos everywhere!

  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Damn.  Your writing is only getting better. Beautiful chapter, an interlude that gives much depth to your characters. And the story. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, re2 said:

Damn.  Your writing is only getting better. Beautiful chapter, an interlude that gives much depth to your characters. And the story. 

Thanks @re2! I'm beyond happy with this comment. I only want my writing skills to sharpen! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Wonder what it is going to be like when Arik and Kieran finally make it to the bedroom

Adam Sandler GIF

I have to keep taking breaks from writing it LOL!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..