Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 2,427 Words
  • 2,738 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cernunnos - 29. Chapter 29

"Here we are!"

Cyn looked up to the sign above the awning. Field to Fork? What is this place Do they bring the food from a farm and put it on a fork? Bound by Shea's hand, the deer followed the lycan inside the small building. When the door opened, the scents nearly overwhelmed Cyn! There's so much going on! I smell coffee, but I can smell some vegetables.

Shea led Cyn to a table, passing several glass displays of baked goods that caught the cernunnos' attention. "We'll look at those after breakfast, little man." Cyn held onto the promise and continued to a small table with two chairs. The wolf pulled one out and ushered the slender man into it.

After Shea sat down, a waitress strolled over and gave the couple some menus. "Well, good morning, Shea! Good to see you again! Who's your friend?" The brunette looked over Cyn with a pleasant smile and cheery attitude, "I haven't seen him around here." Cyn found the lady to be friendly and smiled.

"Good to see you too, Cassi. This is Cyn, he's a new face around here."

"Cyn, huh? That's a unique name. Where are you from?"

The deer timidly smiled, "I'm… I'm from Texas."

"Well, welcome to Sheb! Now, Shea? I guess this means your hot ass is off the market?”

The wolf tried to hide his sheepish grin behind forced laughs, “Yep. I’m happily taken now.”

“Oh, that’s both good news and a damned shame. Anyway, what can I start you's off with?" Cassi whipped out a notepad and pen from her apron.

Shea asked for a water with Cyn copying the wolf, unsure of what he should say. With a few jots, Cassi grinned and walked away. Looking at the menu, Cyn tried to discern half of the food, but was saved by Shea, "You've never been to a restaurant before, have you?"

Cyn shook his head.

"That's alright. I think you'd like the frittata or anything on the sweets menu. Their pancakes are really good, especially with blueberries. For you, make sure you look at items with that little circle with a v. That means it’s vegetarian."

Having the options pointed out, Cyn read them and chose the frittata. There's a lot of vegetables on that, but I don't know what gouda cheese is. If Sheamus says it's good, then it probably is.

The buck sat and listened as Shea explained what one does when they come to a restaurant. So it's like what Melinda does except I go to a place instead of her going to Arric. That's really nice! "So is there more than one restaurant?"

"Yep! I can't even think of how many are in this town. Some people will travel far just to go to one. Different restaurants will serve different foods. You'll find some places with the same things but they won't taste the same."

"Like salad?"

Shea dipped his head to stomach a chuckle, "Yeah, salads are really different wherever you go. I'll be taking you to a few different places today to help you out."

The two talked for a minute before Cassi returned to take their order. When asked for his, Cyn remained quiet, still unsure of the proper procedures. Shea spoke for him, "He'll have the frittata."

"Gotcha! It's okay, no need to be shy around me. I'll get your order in, guys!" With their waitress walking away, the couple continued the conversation.

After a few minutes, Cyn noticed Shea fidgeting in his seat, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just need to use the bathroom. I'll be right back, baby. Sit right here, okay?" Cyn nodded and watched his man walk away from the table towards a hallway.

After Shea disappeared behind a door, Cyn looked around the room, admiring the brick walls and different pieces of machinery behind the counter. Portraits of food littered the walls in multitudes of artstyle. This place looks nice. As the buck turned his attention back to the glass display case, he saw another couple, a man and a woman, gazing at him. Inhaling, Cyn discovered they were lycan. The two gave him gentle smiles and soft waves. They seem nice, like Sheamus.

His heart skipped a beat when the man coughed and whispered towards him, "Pardon me, but are you… Are you a cern?"

Hesitant to answer the man, Cyn looked at his table but realized he had nowhere to turn and no one to rely on. He meagerly glanced back at the couple and whispered, "Y-Yes."

"That's alright. Are you okay? You seem a little lost."

"My boyfriend is in the bathroom."

The woman reached her hand out and tapped the man at her table, "Jim, leave him alone. He's trying to enjoy his breakfast."

"Honey! It's a cernunnos, out in public! I was trying to be welcoming."

Not wanting to start a scene, Cyn slowly turned in his chair towards the couple, "No, it… It's okay. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to get used to everything, and everyone."

The woman grew more interested in the conversation, "Used to everything? My dear, have you not been around humans?" Cyn shook his head. "Well, I hope you have someone to guide you around."

"I do. Sheamus has been helping me."

"Sheamus? Sheamus Farren, the tracking commander?" Growing a smile, the man leaned back in his seat, "I'd say you have a great man helping you out!"

Cyn felt pride in the man's compliment, but turned as he smelled his boyfriend coming back to the table. "Hey, little man!" The enforcer looked at the couple staring, "Morning."

"Good morning, Comman-" The man's back straightened in confusion, "I… I'm sorry." Leaning his neck to the side nonchalantly, "Delta Farren, when were you promoted?"

Shea winced but maintained a positive tone, "It was recent, but it'll be announced properly at the next public meeting."

"I understand. I guess Enforcer Thomas has some competition now."

Cyn heard his attacker's name and shivered. Shea placed a hand on the deer's shoulder as he combated the conversation, "I don't think there's need for competition."

The man wanted to pursue his pleasant conversation but the woman caught Cyn's discomfort. She dropped a hand on the man's and persuaded him to change the subject. "No need to talk politics, dear. Let's get back to our food, it's growing cold." Giving the buck a sincere gaze, she struggled to smile, "I hope you find our pack welcoming, young one."

Cyn nodded and gave a timid wave as he returned to his table. He watched Shea sit and whispered, "They seem nice. I… I think she knows."

Shea blew air from his nose, "Yeah, I'll need to tell Arric. We need to bump up the announcement to the pack. I'm sorry, Cyn. I wanted to bring you out to see the city but I didn't think about what could happen."

"Don't worry about it. They were nice to talk to, and I didn't feel like they wanted to… well, you know." Cyn looked around the restaurant once again and posed a question to change the subject, “So what is going on? Do we just sit here?”

Grinning, Shea answered the deer, “Yep. Once we tell them what we want, the kitchen staff cooks it and the waitress brings it out. We’ll eat, then pay for it.”

“Oh, I know how the humans use money for things. I just didn’t know that it could be used to have food made like this.”

“Money can be used for almost everything. Eating at a restaurant is a pretty popular option, especially when you don’t feel like cooking. Speaking of eating… “ Shea tilted his head to the side. Cyn looked in that direction and saw Cassi approaching with a large platter.

She lowered her arm and started serving the plates, “Here you are, guys! Frittata for Cyn and the ranger omelette for Shea. Anything else I can get for you guys?”

“No thanks, Cassi. Everything looks delicious!” The waitress walked away, leaving the couple to their food.

Cyn stared at the platter and marveled at the creation before him. This smells so good! I can smell the peppers, mushrooms, and onions. He watched Shea unroll the tableware and playfully touch the metal with his fingertip, “What are you doing?”

After the initial touch, Shea gripped the fork and cut into his food with the side, “Had to see if it was silver. I couldn’t smell any, but you can’t be too careful, right?”

“Silver? Is that bad?”

Shea dropped the utensil, making a clattering sound before swiftly grabbing it, “What do you mean bad? We’re allergic to silver.”

“You’re allergic to it?” Cyn barely started unsheathing his fork from the napkin before the concern washed over him, “I didn’t know someone could be allergic to a metal!”

The lycan’s face showed a mix of emotions. He leaned in with a bewildered attitude, “Are… Are you not allergic to silver? Every shifter I know is, even the bears and other species!”

“No, am I supposed to be?”

Combing the shaggy hair off his forehead, Shea tried to explain his irrational disbelief. “If you don’t have a silver allergy, then what weaknesses does your species have?”

Cyn shrugged his shoulders and delicately pierced a section of his frittata. Lifting it up, he watched a stringy lace of cheese dangle above his plate. He placed it into his mouth and squirmed. The egg was fluffy, light in flavor. Mixed with the chopped vegetable mix and smoky cheese, the deer didn’t want the food to leave his lips. I’ve never had anything like this before! Cyn swallowed and made it his goal to savor the rest of his dish, “Sheamus! This is the best food I’ve ever had!”

While the wolf smiled, Shea wanted to press the issue, “That’s great, Cyn, but I’m having a hard time believing you don’t have any kind of allergy like I do. All shapeshifters have this.”

Understanding the concern, Cyn focused on Shea, “I don’t, as far as I know. All I know is that cernunnos can shift silently and we’re hunted a lot.”

Shea returned to his food, “I guess that might be a balancing favor for your species. That’s really interesting.” Seeing the jovial expression the deer made as he took another bite, the lycan couldn’t help but chuckle, “You’re really enjoying that, aren’t you?”

Cyn mumbled his affirmative as he took another bite. Getting nowhere with his attempts at conversation, Shea resigned and turned his attention to his food. As the two finished, Cassi came by to grab their plates and utensils. She dropped off the bill, to which Shea quickly snatched. He placed his card on the table, only for the waitress to swipe it off the table, “Get enough to eat, little man?”

“I did!” Cyn revelled from his full stomach. The couple sat, letting their food digest for several minutes. After Cassi returned with Shea’s card, the lycan rose and offered his hand to Cyn. As promised, they walked to the glass case. Shea picked out one of the humongous cookies with the intent of sharing. Cyn nibbled on it and was delighted by the dessert’s sweetness. Handing the cookie to Shea, the buck asked, “What are we doing now?”

“I thought I could take you around town, show you a few things. Maybe see a movie.” The pair interlaced their fingers together, waved to the couple from before, and left the restaurant. Feeling the warmth from Shea’s hand maintained the smile on Cyn’s face. He internalized the sensation, and was able to give it purpose. It’s him. He’s my purpose! Spending countless days roaming through forests, and endless night cowering from predators, Cyn found a reason for life. All this time, I thought I was just supposed to survive. To live another day and be at peace. No, this is more important. I want to be with Sheamus! He let the lycan lead the way, overjoyed to have found someone to be with in life.

***

The morning was filled with new experiences for Cyn. Shea told him they were going on their official first date. After his initial confusing interpretation, the deer was given clarification. Still full from their breakfast, Shea drove to Deland Park. The grassy park provided a serene moment for Cyn to breathe fresh air, but the sounds of water distracted his enhanced hearing. Leading Cyn further away from the park, Shea brought his buck to a sidewalk near the marina.

For the first time, Cyn saw a vast body of water. He was fascinated by the lake. Looking out, the deer could not see any land, “This is amazing!”

“Yeah, this is Lake Michigan.” Pointing towards the docked boats, Shea bent over to close the gap between them, “People drive and ride on those across the lake.”

Cyn raised an eyebrow and stared at the lycan, “I know what boats are. I still remember a few things from elementary school. Something about fourteen-hundred and ninety-two and a boat.” He felt the lumbering arms drape over his shoulders and onto his chest. The comfort was forgotten as he heard Shea cackling in laughter, “What’s so funny?”

“God, I love you, Cyn!” Shea rested his chin along Cyn’s neck, “You’re amazing, you know that?” The deer nuzzled the head with his own. He was spun around, only to have Shea’s warm lips touch his. They continued their walk along the sidewalk until they found a bench. Sitting close to each other, Cyn could not find it within himself to be away from the wolf.

After an hour of relaxing, Cyn began to doze off. He landed his head between Shea’s arm and chest. Waking up to a low growl, he lifted his head in search of danger, “Sheamus?”

“Rest your head, baby. I’ve just been thinking and I needed to growl at myself.”

Sitting straighter, Cyn wanted to know more, “What do you mean?”

With a pull of his arm, Shea drew Cyn closer to him, “I know it would have been impossible, but I wish I could have found you sooner. Before that bastard got his claws on you.”

Recalling the sharp pain from the attack, Cyn leaned into the wolf. He shivered at the memory, “Hey, you okay?”

Looking up, the buck nodded, “Yeah, I’m… I’m just cold.”

“Let’s head somewhere warmer. You look like you could use a nap.” Shea led Cyn back to the car with the next destination in mind.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 34
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

14 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

What a sweet, comforting chapter, well done!!

Thank you! I wanted a nice "lull" before things go back to business for our heroes.

2 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Hmmm, no allergy to silver. I suspect that may be important later. Gooey gouda makes a good frittata better. So just what and how does the female lycan know? Her mate seemed pleasant enough though his approach to Cyn being a cernunnos out and about in public was a bit awkward. 

I think we can assume the lady put two and two together. "Oh, look at Commander Farren getting a promotion! Why is the deer upset when I mentioned Enforcer Thom-  oh..."

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Now we know what a cern might enjoy for breakfast. I'll file it for the next time one comes by.

I find it a dumb way to run a pack that the word Eike is persona non grata hasn't been disseminated. I understand wanting official announcements and blablabla, but he's dangerous and still the pack Enforcer to many.

I think it's fascinating Cyn isn't allergic to silver. This could come in handy.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Now we know what a cern might enjoy for breakfast. I'll file it for the next time one comes by.

I find it a dumb way to run a pack that the word Eike is persona non grata hasn't been disseminated. I understand wanting official announcements and blablabla, but he's dangerous and still the pack Enforcer to many.

I think it's fascinating Cyn isn't allergic to silver. This could come in handy.

I'm sure Shea will start making a list. Salad? Check. Ranch dressing? Check. Frittatas? Check.

I agree! Arric's not really good at his job... someone should fix that. :P

I'd say it's pretty handy. Could imagine having to deal with tableware possibly having silver in it? I'd almost keep a plastic set in my jacket pocket. Or get really good with chopsticks...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
18 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

Could imagine having to deal with tableware possibly having silver in it? I'd almost keep a plastic set in my jacket pocket. Or get really good with chopsticks...

I doubt it would be anything to be concerned about other than at a non-shifter's home or a high-end restaurant.

Since Shea eats here, wouldn't he already know the tableware isn't silver?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It’s interesting to see Shea and Cyn out and about. No one to chase after or try to hurt him. Just a calm, romantic chapter... and a lot of curiosity. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

I doubt it would be anything to be concerned about other than at a non-shifter's home or a high-end restaurant.

Since Shea eats here, wouldn't he already know the tableware isn't silver?

He should but then how would our intrepid author introduce Cyn's non-allergy?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
11 minutes ago, dughlas said:

He should but then how would our intrepid author introduce Cyn's non-allergy?

Have Shea pick a place he's never been to?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

When Cyn attacked his frittata, all I could picture was the restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally
 

 

Cyn:

meg ryan love GIF by HULU

Female patron:

 Meg Ryan Love GIF by HULU
 

Just when I thought he and his wolf couldn’t get any cuter, you go and have Cyn serving Sheamus a little sass about knowing what boats are. What erupted from my lips was something between a cackle and a giggle and I couldn’t be more pleased.

How absolutely adorkable!

Cyn’s courage and self-confidence continue to grow and it’s so natural a progression that I can almost forget the skittish, terrified mess he was in the beginning. Engaging with that other couple, knowing they were lycan and he was by himself isn’t something he was capable not too long ago. I’m so incredibly proud of him, Sheamus too. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Have Shea pick a place he's never been to?

True, however, doing so for Cyn's first restaurant outing introduces added risks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
24 minutes ago, dughlas said:

True, however, doing so for Cyn's first restaurant outing introduces added risks.

Adventure is the spice of life as the saying goes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

It's a good thing Cyn is exploring restaurants now.  If he had born a few decades earlier, there wouldn't have been many vegetarian options (or in the case of the frittata, veggie forward). I wonder how a date to the zoo would go?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, JR Tittle said:

It’s interesting to see Shea and Cyn out and about. No one to chase after or try to hurt him. Just a calm, romantic chapter... and a lot of curiosity. 

Yeah! I wanted them to have a nice "first" date! It's not even noon and Cyn might be ready for a nap. 

2 hours ago, Danners said:

When Cyn attacked his frittata, all I could picture was the restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally
 

 

Cyn:

meg ryan love GIF by HULU

Female patron:

 Meg Ryan Love GIF by HULU
 

Just when I thought he and his wolf couldn’t get any cuter, you go and have Cyn serving Sheamus a little sass about knowing what boats are. What erupted from my lips was something between a cackle and a giggle and I couldn’t be more pleased.

How absolutely adorkable!

Cyn’s courage and self-confidence continue to grow and it’s so natural a progression that I can almost forget the skittish, terrified mess he was in the beginning. Engaging with that other couple, knowing they were lycan and he was by himself isn’t something he was capable not too long ago. I’m so incredibly proud of him, Sheamus too. 

I'm loving those GIFs! I didn't know Cyn had any sass, but I'm glad he does. 

1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Adventure is the spice of life as the saying goes.

I'm not sure Shea would take a chance for adventure with his little deer. He took a bathroom break and he found Cyn in a conversation with strangers. The poor guy probably didn't learn about "stranger danger" in school...

1 hour ago, CincyKris said:

It's a good thing Cyn is exploring restaurants now.  If he had born a few decades earlier, there wouldn't have been many vegetarian options (or in the case of the frittata, veggie forward). I wonder how a date to the zoo would go?

Oh, that's just wrong... but it's so funny! A deer and a wolf holds hands in a zoo, and the penned animals all think, "What... is happening?"

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

And again, you have done it!  I just love the freshness of this chapter (and the last one)....  Cyn is so very innocent when it comes to things we take for granted.  Sheamus has the patience to teach his mate all these things and he does it without being condescending.  You can tell he actually loves showing Cyn how "humans" go about doing the day to day stuff that he does automatically.  It's just so sweet!!!! 🐺 :heart:🦌

I love how these chapters have been so opposite from the darkness of the previous ones.  Your writing just flows without any "bumps"...it's just seamless.  Absolutely love this story..   You just continue to prove you are the 👑:joe:

And yes I went into the gray again...I guess I need to get use to it!!!  ☺️

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Patch1 said:

And again, you have done it!  I just love the freshness of this chapter (and the last one)....  Cyn is so very innocent when it comes to things we take for granted.  Sheamus has the patience to teach his mate all these things and he does it without being condescending.  You can tell he actually loves showing Cyn how "humans" go about doing the day to day stuff that he does automatically.  It's just so sweet!!!! 🐺 :heart:🦌

I love how these chapters have been so opposite from the darkness of the previous ones.  Your writing just flows without any "bumps"...it's just seamless.  Absolutely love this story..   You just continue to prove you are the 👑:joe:

And yes I went into the gray again...I guess I need to get use to it!!!  ☺️

Thanks, Patch! After a conversation with my newest editor, I'm trying to polish my writing a bit, so I hope this was a little smoother of a chapter compared to others. The goal is to reduce the amount of point-of-view hopping going on. As much as I love cubism and having all of the perspectives, it can throw a lot of readers off. Eventually, all of my previous work will be re-done to mirror this. 

Glad you liked the chapter :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Thanks, Patch! After a conversation with my newest editor, I'm trying to polish my writing a bit, so I hope this was a little smoother of a chapter compared to others. The goal is to reduce the amount of point-of-view hopping going on. As much as I love cubism and having all of the perspectives, it can throw a lot of readers off. Eventually, all of my previous work will be re-done to mirror this. 

Glad you liked the chapter :)

You know I don't like anything you do....I absolutely, positively LOVE it!  You know I read a lot...but until I found you, I had not found an author that puts me in the "gray" with every chapter.  You do that!   Until next time my friend....:heart:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..