Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Walls - 23. April 2016

“You mean he’s okay being called Paddy now? Didn’t he throw a fit last time Brad used the nickname?” Thiago stared at CJ with wide open eyes.

“Mate, you have no idea how much things have changed in little over a week.” Owen spoke up while CJ took a bite out of his burger. “Can you imagine the hell that kid’s been living in? He grows up in a homophobic environment in Boston and then he’s surrounded by gay men when he moves to Washington. Talk about whiplash. Top that off with his religious beliefs and accepting he’s gay himself. I’d be a right mess too.”

“The poor boy. I feel sorry for him.” Nadine gave a slight head shake while looking between the men seated with her. She and Thiago had been dating for a couple of months and this was the first time she’d met his friends. They’d all gone out to dinner to celebrate Thiago’s birthday; he and CJ had not seen each other in a couple of weeks since each had missed a Friday night session at the dojo due to other commitments.

“I think he’ll be okay now.” CJ wiped a dribble of mayonnaise from the corner of his mouth when Thiago pointed at it. “The day he came out to me we spent the ride to lunch in Baltimore, the meal time, and the ride back talking. He isn’t ready to tell the world but now that he cracked the door, it’s only a matter of time.”

Nadine looked worried. “Should you be telling us this? I mean, if he’s not ready for others to know…”

“Nah, it’s okay. He knew I'd tell Ozzie. Heck, he told me it would be okay. And I asked permission to tell Thiago.” CJ shifted his eyes towards his friend for a moment. “I want you to hook him up with the priest who helped you when your brother died.” He returned his gaze to Nadine. “I’m trusting my instincts here. You’re cool and I don’t think he’ll mind.” CJ kept his gaze on her and smiled.

She used a slight teasing tone when she spoke to him. “What are you staring at, CJ? Are you checking me out? When Thiago said we were going out with his best friend and his best friend’s boyfriend, I figured I’d be safe from roving eyes.”

CJ’s hearty laughter attracted the attention of a few patrons and made him cover his mouth with a hand. “I ain’t checking you out. I’m just pleasantly surprised.”

“At what?”

“At you and your attitude! The last woman Thiago introduced us to had issues with me being gay and white.”

Nadine placed a hand on Thiago’s forearm and rubbed it for a moment. “Pffft! Why would that make a difference? We all are what we are. And for the record, Thiago told me all about her. And about how most of his friends are white and some gay. I’m glad she was an idiot. It left the field open for me!”

“I like her, bud. I like her a lot.” CJ pointed at Thiago with a french fry. “Don’t screw this one up.”

“Don’t worry about it, CJ. I won’t let him.” Nadine leaned over a kissed Thiago’s cheek. “Now that I’ve met you and Ozzie, I can’t wait to meet the rest of CJ’s Squad.”

CJ stared at his friend through slitted eyes. “You asshole. You told her about that? I’m not sure I like the implications of that name for our group, Nadine. It makes it sound like I’m in charge or something.”

“But you are, mate. You are in charge.” Owen imitated the girl’s move and pecked his boyfriend’s cheek. “And we all follow along willingly.”

“I’ll show you in charge later. Did you forget y’all aren’t allowed to pick on me? Anyway, not to change the subject, but changing the subject. Guess who has a brand new nephew?” CJ retrieved his phone from his jacket, swiped to unlock it, and scrolled to a picture he then showed his dining companions.

Nadine reached for the phone and stared at the picture of a black kid. “Oh, he’s adorable! But he looks a little old to be a brand new nephew.”

“Yeah, he’s fourteen. But he’s brand new to me.”

“What’s his name and how did he end up becoming your nephew?”

“His name’s Silas. I don’t know his last name. Just found out about him this morning. He’s my cousin Randy’s foster kid.”

Thiago looked surprised. “Randy and Tyler became foster parents?”

“Randy’s my cousin, Nadine. He’s the son of my dad’s brother. He and Tyler were married back in February but they told me they’d been approved as foster parents a few months before the wedding.”

“Is Tyler black?” Nadine tilted her head, still staring at the phone. “Did they ask for a black kid?”

“Neither. When we talked this morning they said the social worker had called them earlier in the week and asked if they’d be willing to take a black teen as an emergency placement. It seems Silas came out to his family and he was beaten by his father. And then was thrown out and told not to come back.”

“That’s horrible! And his mother didn’t lift a finger to protect her child? How can any woman be so heartless?” The three men exchanged knowing glances she seemed to miss while still staring at the boy’s picture.

Thiago slid his chair closer to Nadine and put an arm around her shoulders. “It happens, babe. He’s not the first kid that age I’ve heard about being rejected for being gay.”

“Well, I’d never do that to a son or daughter or mine. I mean, kids don’t ask to be born, that’s the parents’ doing. And if you can’t accept your own child the way you brought him into the world, you have no business having kids.”

“Hear, hear! Mate, I’ll agree with what CJ said before. You better not screw this up. Nadine’s a keeper.” Owen bumped fists with CJ who couldn’t stop nodding his agreement.

“So they’re in Chicago?”

“Yeah, Ozzie and I may fly up there for a weekend so we can meet him in person. My cousins think it’d be good for Silas to talk to me. What with me being closer in age to him and my brother being fourteen too. We’ll see what happens. It’s a temporary placement right now. I hope they make it permanent. My cousins are great guys and I think Silas would be lucky to stay with them.”

Thiago turned to Nadine and tried to explain some of the Abelló family dynamics. “Over the past few years, I’ve met all of CJ’s family. His uncle lives in Chicago with his wife and has two sonstwins in their early twenties.”

“They’re the same age I am,” Owen added. “We already told you Randy’s gay and married to Ty. The other cousin’s Rod and he lives here in Washington and works for one of CJ’s dads.”

“They should all be here for Thanksgiving. After I moved to Washington from Miami, we started celebrating here. The Chicago side of the family comes down and my grandparentsmy dad’s parentscome up from Florida.”

“Thiago told me about them. He said he really likes your grandparents and he had a great time seeing them whenever they’re in town.” Nadine paused for a moment and used a softer tone when she spoke again. “He also said your other grandfather’s not well. He’s in a wheelchair?”

“Yeah. Abothat’s short for abuelo which means grandfather in Spanishisn’t in good shape. His Alzheimer’s getting worse so he and my grandmother are moving into a retirement home. The place’s nice from what I’ve heard. My grandmother will still have her independence, but there’ll be people around to help take care of Abo. That’s one of the reasons I’m not sure when we’ll get to Chicago to meet Silas. I need to hit Miami for a few days so I can visit the grandparents.”

“That’s sad about your grandfather. I’m guessing your grandmother’s fine?”

“Yeah, Aba can kick ass. She never complains about anything. Not even aches and pains. I sure as hell hope I inherit that gene!”

“So you guys are flying to Miami and to Chicago in the near future. Any other trips this summer? Thiago’s told me some about how much you love traveling.”

Owen shook his head. “Not for me unless it’s just the weekend. I really need to make a good impression this summer at the Conservancy. I’m going to work my butt off. I’m an Australian citizen. I have a visa as a student good for five years. If I want to remain in the US afterwards, the easiest way’s to get a company to hire me and sponsor me. I’m hoping the Nature Conservancy will.”

“We’ll go to New York for at least a weekend. Hey! Maybe the four of us can do it. We don’t have to worry about a place to stay and the train tickets aren’t that expensive. I may have to stop in Brooklyn for a couple of hours but you guys can play while I have my meetings.”

“New York? Brooklyn? Meetings? Homie, I think it’d be fun for me and Nadine to go up there with you guys. But what the heck meetings are you talking about?”

“Clinton campaign headquarters are in Brooklyn.”

“That’s it! That’s where I’ve seen your face before.” Nadine came close to jumping out of her chair. “You’ve been on TV. On a political show. My roommate was watching one of those and I remember seeing you. I didn’t catch a name but I saw your face. I thought you were cute! So, you’re working for Hilary Clinton? Good for you! About damn time we put a woman in the White House.”

CJ chuckled while Thiago and Owen shook their heads and grinned. “I like your enthusiasm, Nadine. Consider yourself recruited as a volunteer. And that’s all I am for the campaign. A volunteer. I’ve done a few interviews as a surrogate for Secretary Clinton. And I did a bunch during spring break since I could go to the studios in the daytime.

“Anyway, I’ve committed to spending the summer working for the campaign. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing but probably more TV. Her campaign manager thinks I’m okay at it.”

“Bullshit, mate. My boyfriend’s being modest. Robbie Mookthe campaign managerthinks CJ’s more than okay. He thinks our man here walks on water. And I’ve seen every one of his appearances on the news. He is damn good at it.”

CJ waived a hand in a dismissive gesture. “Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. So I’m not sure if I’ll have to travel for them or not. I have a feeling most of what I do will be in New York or Washington. What about you, Nadine? Any big summer plans?”

“Well, I already told you I’m from North Carolina. I’ll probably go home. Last year I went back for the summer. But that was being a freshman and I was homesick.” Nadine shot a quick glance at Thiago while taking a sip from her soda. “But I’m thinking I want to stay in Washington this year. Maybe take a couple of classes and work part-time? I’m not sure. I need to call home and figure it out.”

“If you stay in town we’ll have to plan on seeing each other on a regular basis. And you’ll have to come to my graduation party!” CJ looked at the debris of his meal and pushed the plate away. The hamburger was gone but most of the French fries remained on the plate. He pushed it away from the edge of the table and wiped his mouth with a napkin. “No wonder so many people are overweight in this country. If I ate all the fries they give you, I’d be fat too.”

Nadine raised a questioning eyebrow. “Yeah, right. Like any of you would gain weight. Sounds to me like all of Thiago’s friends are jocks. Where’s the party?”

“Nah, we aren’t jocks. Not all of us. But we do try to stay in shape. I guess we end up hanging out with people who share some of our interests, and sports is one of those things with us. We’re doing the party at my house this year. Actually, my house and Brad’s. Since we live next to each other, we’re doing a joint party and inviting everyone.”

“So this one’s nice?” Brett tried to pick up the last piece of dim sum but CJ beat him to it. “Hey! I was gonna eat that.”

“Sorry, Papa. You snooze, you lose. Yeah, Nadine’s great. She’s real cute, sounds smart, and has a great personality. I hope she sticks around. Thiago did much better with this one than the last one.”

César watched his husband and son battle over the morsel of food with their chopsticks and shook his head. “You know? We hardly see Thiago any more. I miss having him around.”

“Me too, Dad. But we’ve both been so damn busy it’s hard to find time to just hang. And based on what Robbie Mook said today when we talked, I’m going to be pretty busy this summer.”

“He called you? What’s he got planned for you?”

“I called him. I had a little problem I wanted to discuss with him. After we figured out what to do, he mentioned my TV appearances tracked well with sample audienceswhatever that means―so he wants me to do more.”

“Not really surprising, buddy. You’re well spoken, polite and you have the typical senator looks.”

CJ scrunched up his face and tilted his head while staring at his dad. “Senator looks? What the hell does that mean?”

“Dude! It means you’re handsome without being too pretty.” Brett reached for one of the Chinese food containers. “Plus, you look masculine without it being threatening. Women will drool over you, as will a lot of gay men. Straight guys will just think you’re a jock and want to hang out with you.”

“Whatever! It’s not like I’m running for office or anything.”

César looked and sounded concerned when he spoke next. “In a way you are, CJ. Even if your face’s not out there as a candidate. What was this problem you called Robbie about? Anything we should be aware of?”

“Ummm…” CJ hesitated before meeting his father’s stare. “Somebody figured out who I was on Twitter. They sent me a couple of messages I forwarded to Robbie. He promised to have their security people look at them and suggested I close that account and create a new one without my last name on it.”

“Dude, security? What did the messages say?” Brett exchanged looks with César, forgetting about the food for a moment.

“Oh, one picked on me for being gay and another one for being a wetback.

“Shit, shit, shit!” Brett slammed the table and dropped his chopsticks on his plate. “I knew it! I knew something like this would happen. This is what we were concerned with whenever we asked you to be discreet on social media. Did they threaten you?”

“Not really, Papa. They were just stupid comments. I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.”

“I don’t like it. One of those yahoos could decide insults aren’t enough. I want you to be real careful when you’re out alone. And maybe we need to consider when and where you travel this summer. If you’re on TV, a lot people will start recognizing you.”

“Screw that, Papa. I’m not going to let some jerk stop me from living my life. I may not be taking any real long trips this summer, but Ozzie and I will be going to Nashville, Chicago, Miami, and to New York whenever we can get away.”

“Nashville? What’s going on in Nashville? You haven’t said anything about Nashville before.”

CJ immediately regretted having mentioned the city. He knew his dads would balk at the trip. “There’s a rugby tournament there next month. Ozzie’s going with the Scandals and I plan on going with them.”

“Can I go with you guys? That sounds like fun and I’ve never been to Nashville.” Ritchie had been quiet so far but now stared at his brother with a pleading look.

“NO! You can’t go with them.” Brett left no room for argument. “You have school. And then you’re leaving for camp after classes are over.”

“Oh, okay…” Ritchie didn’t sound too upset about being shot down and his sly grin told CJ his brother knew the chances of him being allowed to go were nil when he asked.

Brett returned his gaze to CJ. “When and for how long is this trip supposed to be?”

“The end of May. A week.”

“I don’t think so, dude. You’re about to graduate and you want to take a week off right before? This trip doesn’t sound like a good plan. And not only because of school. I don’t like the idea of you being surrounded by a bunch of older guys we don’t know.”

“Really, Papa? That’s bullshit.”

“CJ…” César’s warning tone infuriated CJ.

“What, Dad? I can’t say bullshit now? I’m in the top ten percent of my graduating class. I already have enough credits to graduate, even if I flunk my current classes. And that ain’t gonna happen. I’ll talk to all my teachers and to Principal Edwards before I go. I’ll make sure I don’t miss any assignments. Don’t forget Georgetown already accepted me. I’m even on their mailing list as an incoming student. And this crap about being alone is just that: crap! You let me go to Australia on my own for over two weeks and you don’t want me to drive to Nashville with people I know?”

“That’s different, CJ.” César mellowed out his tone, but it failed to placate his son; CJ was ready for a fight. “You went to Australia to visit Owen and his family. He was with you all the time. I suspect if the Scandals are practicing and playing, you’ll be on your own a lot. And if you plan on driving that adds to our concerns. Hell, you now have a Twitter stalker and I’m not sure I want you alone anywhere until the campaign’s over.”

“What the fuck, dads? I drove from Miami to Washington last year and you had no issues with that. I already told you I’m not going to let some nut-job stop me from living. You’re nuts yourself if you even think so. I’ve never backed down from a bully and I’m not going to start now. And that’s what the jerk who sent those tweets is: a bully. I wasn’t a hundred percent certain I was going. I told Tank that when we last talked about it. But now you bet your ass I’m going. You keep telling me to take responsibility for my decisions and actions and I’m doing that. I’m eighteen. I’m an adult. I want to go to Nashville, so I’m going.”

CJ gave his dads credit for not pushing too much on the Nashville trip plans. But he knew they weren’t happy about it. Their conversations the week following Sunday’s dinner were superficial and a tad strained. The subject of the trip was never brought up.

“Mate, you still haven’t told them?” Owen laid on his side of the bed, his hands clasped behind his head. He’d come home after a rugby practice about the same time CJ returned from the dojo. They’d both been tired and decided to stay home even though it was a Friday night.

“I did tell them, Ozzie. I may not have given them a transcript of the tweets, but I told them.” CJ paused the movie they’d been watching and turned to his boyfriend. “I don’t want to push them too hard. You know what worrywarts they are.”

“It’s not fair to them, CJ. They love you and it’s normal for them to worry about you.”

“Yeah, but you forget one of my dads' a marine. If he found out one of those jerks said I should die, he’d prolly go chase the guy down and shoot him. He’s already up to something. He told me to come by his office after school on Monday. He wants to take me shopping.”

“Knowing Brett, he probably wants to buy you a bullet-proof vest or something.”

“My name’s CJ Abelló. I’m originally from Miami, Florida but have been a resident of the District for the past three years. I’m a senior at School Without Walls High School.” CJ grinned when a few of the students seating around the microphone stand murmured comments. “But, I’ll be a freshman at the School of Foreign Service this fall.”

“So this is where I’ll find you if I need you, eh?” Paul Ryanthe speaker of the United States House of Representativesdelivered his quick reply with a grin. “And I think I’m in trouble. For those of you who may not know this young man, he happens to be a surrogate for Secretary Clinton. A very capable one, if I say so myself. I’ve enjoyed listening to him whenever I’ve caught one of his TV interviews. Sorry, CJ. Please go ahead and ask your question. And best of luck next year.”

“Thank you, Mr. Speaker.” CJ had to stop again while the audience applauded. Ryan was hosting a Millennials Town Hall sponsored by Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy in Gaston Hall. As an incoming student, CJ received an invitation and had left Walls at lunch time in order to be there. He wondered if any other high school seniors in the area had availed themselves of this opportunity. “I’d like to ask you the same question I asked Senator Rubio

“You know Marco?” If Speaker Ryan sounded surprised, CJ was even more so. He’d stood in line with those who wanted to ask questions when the event began and this was the first time Ryan engaged in a dialogue with anyone. He’d answered the questions posed from the floor, or from the students sitting behind him on the stage, but refrained from further interaction.

“Umm, yes, I do. I interned in his office the summer I moved to Washington. I was at his announcement of his presidential campaign last year in Miami. And I’ve spoken to him another couple of times since.”

“Do me a favor, CJ. Stay away from Janesville. I don’t need you getting ideas about running against me.” CJ grinned and stared at his shoes while the crowd laughed. “So, you’re smartafter all, you were accepted to Georgetown. You have a relationship with a Republican Senator yet you chose to support a Democratic candidate. I may be a little concerned here.”

“Don’t worry, Mr. Speaker. Was I to move to Wisconsin, it would be to Milwaukee. My family and friends all ride Harley-Davidsons and I’m hoping to get one myself this summer.”

“You and I have to talk later, young man. Please, go ahead. I promise not to interrupt you further.”

“Sure thing, Mr. Ryan. Anyway, I’m gay. I’m the grandson of immigrants. I come from a mixed marriage. One of my parents’ a Republican and the other one an independent.” CJ smiled when most of the crowd chuckled. “I refuse to be categorized as either a liberal or a conservative. I’m an idealist. I’m not an ideologue. It’s idiotic to assume either end of the spectrum has all the answers. And those who constantly tout their credentials as being in either camp are to be pitied. Particularly elected officials.”

The room was suddenly silent and CJ realized he’d just called the man who was third in line to become President of the United States pitiful. “In the current political campaign, my sexual orientation and my heritage have been demonized by Republican candidates. My question is: Why would I ever consider supporting a Republican when the party as a whole rejects me?”

Later that night during dinner, CJ couldn’t recall the response in detail while he shared the events of the day with the family. “I mean, dads, I don’t think he’s homophobic. Or a racist, or even xenophobic. But he’s so caught up in party politics he fails to see reality. One guy who said he was a Republican, asked him what to do since he couldn’t bring himself to support Trump or Cruz.”

“What did Ryan tell him?” César broke off a chunk from the baguette and used it to help steady the linguini he forked up.

“Ryan told him to look past the candidates and pay attention to what the parties themselves offered. Based on his expression, he doesn’t like either one either. I was sooo tempted to ask him if he thought the president was irrelevant and if only the party mattered.”

“You two look like you could be related. Or colleagues in Congress. Shave your beard and put on a tie and you could be a representative yourself.” Brett passed the phone across the table to César so he could see the picture of CJ and Paul Ryan. Thanks to all the events he attended with his parents on a regular basis, and the appearances on behalf of Clinton, CJ had become more comfortable dressing up. He eschewed the t-shirt and shorts for the event; instead, he wore a charcoal suit with a white button-down shirt but not a necktie. “Since when did you start dressing so damn preppy?”

“Fuck you, Papa. I ain’t preppy.” CJ’s mock outrage failed to fool his fathers. César rolled his eyes and Brett raised his eyebrows half-way up his forehead. CJ stared at them and avoided looking at Ritchie. “Don’t forget I’m a product of the public school system. Your other son’s the one who goes to a fancy prep school.”

“Hey! Leave me out of this. Not my fault you had to settle for a second-rate education.” Ritchie’s good humored retort earned him a one finger salute from his brother.

Brett’s laughter made CJ glare at him. “Sorry…” He raised a hand and ducked his head in apology. “Sorry, CJ, but your brother just burned you good.”

“Whatever… Anyway, his announcement about me volunteering for Clinton meant I was mobbed by members of the Young Democrats at the end. They wanted me to join the club right then and there. I declined and told them I’d be happy to attend a meeting once I registered for classes. But I may have to do an appearance for them on behalf of Hillary sometime after the convention. I did tell them I would have to clear it with Brooklyn first.

“Afterwards, while we were all trying to take pictures, Ryan gave me his card and asked me to call him. He wants to take me to lunch.”

César sighed and shook his head. “Jesus Fucking Christ, CJ. Another politician? Are you starting a collection? Your damn Rolodex has more big shots in it than mine!”

Ritchie glanced between the dads and CJ, looking confused. “What’s a Rolodex?”

div>
Thank you Mann Ramblings, Kitt, and Reader 1810 for your hard work.
It doesn't matter if you're reading this right after it's posted or sometime later in time, if you enjoyed it don't forget to like the chapter and/or leave a comment in the review section!
C. A. Hazday
  • Like 91
  • Love 18
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Good very good, it seems that we are all in for an education. I love  it that we are so Involved with cj every chapter just leaves me with eager anticipation for the next chapter. Thank you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

@gazza456

 

CJ will be recognized and his name will be called out again. Trust me on that one.

 

Now, about that addiction of yours... May as well start the process now so you can get used to the withdrawal symptoms: There's only two more chapters remaining in this book; it'll all be over when the Squad graduates from Walls.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

@gazza456

 

CJ will be recognized and his name will be called out again. Trust me on that one.

 

Now, about that addiction of yours... May as well start the process now so you can get used to the withdrawal symptoms: There's only two more chapters remaining in this book; it'll all be over when the Squad graduates from Walls.

NOOOOO!!!!!!  ROFLMAO

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Bucket1

 

I remember having a Rolodex on my desk for years. I wonder what Ritchie would say if he saw one sitting next to a rotary dial phone.

 

CJ doesn't share all the details about the threats with his dads and then he tells them in no uncertain terms he doesn't care what they think, he's going to Nashville to hang out with a bunch of gay ruggers. Damn teenagers are all the same. Even though it was a short scene, I truly enjoyed writing it, showing CJ becoming more assertive all the time.

 

Funny you mention phone videos ending up online. CJ has some comments about the same subject in the near future.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Just now, Carlos Hazday said:

 

Please step away from the edge, sir...

NEVER!!!! (At least not until the next chapter...hehehe)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Good very good, it seems that we are all in for an education. I love  it that we are so Involved with cj every chapter just leaves me with eager anticipation for the next chapter. Thank you.

 

Hey! This is a coming-of-age story and CJ's the protagonist, of course we're going to follow him all the way. I've tried to show growth in the character and it's fun to write him standing on his own so much. He was always assertive but he used to lean on his dads constantly. Hopefully we can now see he'll do fine on his own even when he disagrees with his parents. I don't think his relationship with his fathers will sour, just natural evolution.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, avidreadr said:

The Rolodex comment at the end made me smile.  It seems obvious to me CJ will one day be running for office.  As I read this, I can't help but think about how the election actually ended and what CJ and company would be thinking.  As always, a chapter of Walls always makes my Fridays brighter.,  Have a good weekend.

 

I thought the Rolodex comment was a good way to end the chapter. Damn kids have no idea what we had to deal with before cell phones.

 

We'll see what happens after his commitment to the campaign's over. CJ will be starting college in a few months and that may keep him away from politics for a while. The scene with Paul Ryan was inspired by an actual Millenial Town Hall he participated in at Georgetown. (available on YouTube if anyone cares to watch the real event.) Of course, the conversation with CJ is entirely fictional but I wanted to show our kid can interact with anyone no matter what their political orientation. The idealist vs ideologue statement encapsulates his current outlook on politics.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Thank you for a thoroughly entertaining chapter. I really needed it. Nadine will be fun, and you whet my appetite for more adventures to come. The last bit with yet another political figure was quite amusing. Gracias!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Rolodex, that is not a word I have heard for a long time. I love Nadine!!!!CJ is like a southern woman he is nice and sweet and can say fuck you with a simple phrase that sounds like a compliment.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another great read!  It is good to see Thiago found a great partner.  Being of a certain age (Old :-> ) the Rolodex comment brought a chuckle to me.

I share the "addiction" too and hope the story continues with college.  If not I will say Thank You for the letting us be a part of CJ's life, laughter, tears, ups and downs it has been a great weekly read!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Thank you for a thoroughly entertaining chapter. I really needed it. Nadine will be fun, and you whet my appetite for more adventures to come. The last bit with yet another political figure was quite amusing. Gracias!

 

Last chapter and this one I considered transitional, setting up events which will affect the story in the future. The politicians will be around for a bit and then fade into the background after the election in November. I can't wait to write about CJ's first kegger!

 

Gracias a usted!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

Rolodex, that is not a word I have heard for a long time. I love Nadine!!!!CJ is like a southern woman he is nice and sweet and can say fuck you with a simple phrase that sounds like a compliment.

 

LMAO!

 

Considering I've tried to give CJ a filthy mouth I'm just waiting for him to scream asshole at some politician.You're right about him giving someone the finger while smiling. I wonder what someone like Paul Ryan would do if they got called out the way CJ did.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, jwh6868 said:

Another great read!  It is good to see Thiago found a great partner.  Being of a certain age (Old :-> ) the Rolodex comment brought a chuckle to me.

I share the "addiction" too and hope the story continues with college.  If not I will say Thank You for the letting us be a part of CJ's life, laughter, tears, ups and downs it has been a great weekly read!

 

Thank you for your addiction :D

 

I may as well continue with the revelations about the future: Walls is not the end of the series. Georgetown, the next book will chronicle the next four years of CJ's life. It's already in process but there will be a break in posting after the current book is finished. I plan on having each section of the next book entirely written and edited before I begin posting.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Each chapter just adds to the overall excellence.  CJ definitely needs to share the content of the tweets with his dads, unless we find out Brett has a way of discovering them. Perhaps that is why he wants to meet for lunch.

 

I, too, can't wait for Friday mornings either.  I'm already feeling the pains of withdrawal.  How long will we have to wait for the next volume?  As always, thanks for sharing your remarkable talent with us.

 

Tony

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, pvtguy said:

Each chapter just adds to the overall excellence.  CJ definitely needs to share the content of the tweets with his dads, unless we find out Brett has a way of discovering them. Perhaps that is why he wants to meet for lunch.

 

I, too, can't wait for Friday mornings either.  I'm already feeling the pains of withdrawal.  How long will we have to wait for the next volume?  As always, thanks for sharing your remarkable talent with us.

 

Tony

 

I honestly have no idea when Georgetown will start posting. @Mann Ramblings has been with me from the start, he's edited over half-a-million words so far and he deserves a break. I'm giving him the summer off. :D He does have a real life and other projects to deal with and I can't afford to pay his exorbitant fees year round. But trust me, the story's far from over. Maybe not another 500k words but there's plenty on the way.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The question is, are the dads right about the Nashville thing?  He's finally said the classic "I'm 18" line.  You're definitely trying to show growth within CJ here, yet this is a line uttered by many a teenager, and frequently their parents are right when they drop this on them.  

 

Not that I think CJ has much to be concerned about with "older guys" what with Owen being with him.  He won't be alone with a bunch of random older guys who might try to take advantage of him or something.  However, this fake ID he keeps using could definitely cause problems down the line.  That's potential for a scandal right there.  Also, Brett isn't totally wrong, about the security risks.  He's especially going to be more sensitive to it, after what happened to Cesar not that long before this.  

Edited by spikey582
  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

The question is, are the dads right about the Nashville thing?  He's finally said the classic "I'm 18" line.  You're definitely trying to show growth within CJ here, yet this is a line uttered by many a teenager, and frequently their parents are right when they drop this on them.  

 

Not that I think CJ has much to be concerned about with "older guys" what with Owen being with him.  He won't be alone with a bunch of random older guys who might try to take advantage of him or something.  However, this fake ID he keeps using could definitely cause problems down the line.  That's potential for a scandal right there.  Also, Brett isn't totally wrong, about the security risks.  He's especially going to be more sensitive to it, after what happened to Cesar not that long before this.  

 

I tried to establish CJ's maturity early on but there's no way a teen, no matter how 'perfect' they might be, would not rebel at some point. He's put his foot down on this one and the dads are partially to blame. They've encouraged him to be independent. But Brett's sneaky. He proved it when he had Sean check on CJ in New York and his foresight helped save CJ from a possible rape. Let's see what he comes up with this time. We KNOW he'll have something else to say.

 

You'll enjoy the next chapter, Spikey. No politics, a road trip, and a few new characters. One of them will be around on a permanent basis. I think you'll like Lola.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

The passage that stuck with me was CJ asking Thiago to hook Paddy up with the priest that helped him....a leader takes care of his squad. 

 

I was trying to show two things with those lines. One you've correctly identified. The other one was CJ encouraging a meeting with a priest even though he doesn't believe in religion himself. Acknowledging different attitudes and respecting them is part of becoming a real man and a leader. In my opinion, those who fail to listen to other views and accept differences are not meant to lead.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Quote

“What’s a Rolodex?”

Best Line Ever!!!!! I'm surprised Caesar and Brett didn't get more upset at CJ...not what was said more of the disrespect....i understand that he stood up for himself, but there was a little bit of the screw you I'll do what I want teenage attitude

  • Like 4
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, Carlos Hazday said:

 

I was trying to show two things with those lines. One you've correctly identified. The other one was CJ encouraging a meeting with a priest even though he doesn't believe in religion himself. Acknowledging different attitudes and respecting them is part of becoming a real man and a leader. In my opinion, those who fail to listen to other views and accept differences are not meant to lead.

 

Well said!  And I caught both your points without explicating them as clearly.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..