Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,990 Words
  • 2,347 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jimmy & Richie - 16. Chapter 16

I woke feeling different this morning. I had someone in my life that I loved, and he loved me. That was a feeling I never had before. I looked at Rich, and I wished I could take him with me. I carefully got out of bed, trying not to disturb Nick. Showered, dressed and drinking a cup of coffee, when my love came into the kitchen. He came and sat on my lap.

Nestling his head into my shoulder, “I can’t wait till we are alone.”

I hugged him, “We can wait a few more weeks. I like having Nick around and we both will miss him when we take him home. Now I need to get to work. Big things are going to happen this week.”

I followed Gramps to work. My guard stopped me. I think he likes to do that. “Running late?” “

No, I’m early. If you keep me here I might be late.”

He smiled, “Go ahead. I wouldn’t want you to be late.”

I parked in my usual spot, checked in at the security desk and got my usual message, my grandfather wanted to see me. Getting off at his floor, I was met by his secretary with a cup of coffee for me. “Go right in, he’s expecting you.”

“Good morning Grandfather, you have a new assignment for me.”

“Actually I do, I want you to go and see Mr. Thomas in purchasing. While you’re there, I want you to review our purchase agreements. I think after our latest experience we may have to amend those agreements. I’d be interested in what you think and any ideas you may have”

“Grandfather the diner is all set. I just need the date and time for the meeting.”

I left the office and went to the first floor. Mr. Thomas was expecting me. “James, this is our standard purchasing agreement. We have modified some for special cases but for most of our suppliers, we use this standard form. Look it over, if you have any questions, don’t be afraid to ask one of the buyers or me.”

I quickly glanced through the purchase order. I didn’t see anything unusual. I asked for a tablet and started to write down what I thought were the various elements of a purchase order. Mr. Thomas had explained what boilerplate was, and I noticed it was written in larger type on the first page. So rather than be confused, I decided to create my own purchase order. By lunchtime, I had a draft, but I wanted to think a little more about it. Mr. Thomas came and asked me how it was going. I told him I was creating a pseudo purchase order based on how I’d do it, and then I’d check it against the one he showed me. He thought that might be a good approach. He told me to think more about it over lunch.

I grabbed a quick lunch and then headed to the town’s library. I wanted to see what other company’s purchase orders looked like for comparison purposes. I could only find government contracts, but that gave me enough information on how to change my draft.
Back at the desk, I looked over my notes from the library and compared it to my draft. There was one clause that I missed, I went and checked the standard purchase order, and it was missing from there as well. There was no clause for breach of contract or indemnity. I then asked Mr. Thomas if I could see the purchasing order for the company that we found the weight discrepancies. When he brought the purchasing order, there weren’t any clauses that would permit us to take punitive action for breaking the contract. The issue of weight discrepancies could be dismissed as an error.

“Mr. Thomas, I see a problem with our purchasing agreement. There are no clauses that would permit us to take punitive action from a supplier not living up to the conditions of the purchasing agreement.”

“I don’t think we ever thought the need to have one. Most of our suppliers are vetted by the government.”

“I looked at several government contracts, and they all have a punitive clause. Even if a company is vetted by the government doesn’t mean that their product will always meet our standards. It’s my recommendation.”

I think he knew what I was referring to when I mentioned companies that are vetted by the government doesn’t mean that they would abide by a purchasing agreement. As I left the office that day, I wonder if Gramps would have something to say after dinner.

When I got home, Nick gave me a hug and Rich kissed me. “What is all this about?”

“We, rather I, have a dinner date tonight.”

“Really, and where is this dinner date going to take place?”

“At that little Italian restaurant off of main street, I booked two tables for tonight and asked that they be far apart.”

I just smiled, went and took a shower and dressed more casually,

“I’m going to tell Gram we won’t be having dinner with them tonight.” I no sooner got out of the door when someone grabbed my hand. I smiled and he smiled back.

“Did you miss me?”

“Yes, I couldn’t wait till you came home. Are you schedule to work tomorrow?”

“So far, why?”

“I was hoping you could drive me to the doctors.”

“What time is your appointment?”

“At one.”

“Ok, I’ll pick you up, we can have a quick lunch, and then I can drive you to the doctors.”

As we enter the kitchen, Miss Marie was busy preparing dinner. “Miss Marie, we won’t be eating dinner here tonight. Nick has a dinner date and since I’ll need to drive him, Rich and I will also have a dinner date.”

“Thank you for letting me know James. Otherwise there would be a lot of leftovers.”

“Jimmy, leftovers aren’t bad. They would be good for lunch.” Rich likes Miss Marie’s cooking, a lot.

I pulled him into the drawing-room. Seeing Gram, I went over and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Rich followed me and did the same thing. “Gram, we are going out for dinner tonight. I already told Miss Marie. If Gramps wants to see me after dinner, have him call me. Otherwise, I’ll see him in the morning.”

“Richard, when does that cast come off. Seems to me it has been a long time.”

“Tomorrow afternoon Gram, I can’t wait. It has been very itchy, and I can’t scratch.”

“I know it’ll feel good to get that off.”

We left Gram and headed to the apartment. Halfway up the stairs, we met Nick.

“You’re ready to go now? I thought you said dinner at six.”

“She called and asked if we could go earlier. Something doing with her parents later in the evening.”

“Did you call the restaurant and change the time.”

“Yes, I moved it to five.”

“Do you have directions to her home?”

“She said her dad would drop her off. Then we’d take her home.” Clever way to find out where she lives.

“What’s her name? I don’t think you ever told us?”

“I thought you heard her Rich when we were getting dessert at the club, it’s Alice.”

“Well, stay away from rabbit holes.”

That got me a punch on the arm. Rich just laughed. I hadn’t given Nick too much credit, but that changed when he introduced me as Jimmy Cricket.

The restaurant was very nice, small but cozy. Alice’s dad seemed nice, he remembered us from the club on Sunday. Dinner was excellent, “Jimmy, the food was delicious. I guess you can’t go wrong with Italian.”

“Only if the cook is Italian. Don’t order dessert, and we can have some when we go home. Miss Marie was baking a chocolate cake when we stopped before coming here.” Rich looked at me questioning how I knew that. “I smelled the cake baking.”

When dinner was over, I drove Alice home. It wasn’t far from the University. Nick walked her to the door, and she kissed him on the cheek, Nick’s face was a little flushed when he got back into the car.

“You ok?”

“Yes, I think she is a very nice girl. I had fun tonight and I think I’ll see her again before I head home.”

“Be sure to let her knew you’re going home and want to Skype with her.”

Parking the car, we headed to Grams. “Miss Marie, is there any of that chocolate cake left.”

“How did you know we had a chocolate cake?” I pointed to my nose. She shook her head and smiled. “Your Gram and Gramps are in the drawing-room having coffee. You go on in, and I’ll bring you all a piece.”

I was going to say Nick already had dessert when he pushed me out of the kitchen.

“Good evening, Gram, Gramps.”

“How was your dinner, boys?”

“It was very good. We ate at that little Italian restaurant just off of main street.”

That’s when Miss Marie came in with a cart that had three coffees and three pieces of cake.

“Miss Marie, I only wanted a piece, not a half.” I looked at Nick his eyes were almost as big as the piece of cake which was sat in front of him.

I whispered to Rich, “If that is too much we can take the rest back to the apartment.”

“No, Nick will eat it when we are sleeping.”

“Richard, Gram tells me that you are having your cast removed tomorrow afternoon.”

“Yes, sir, my appointment is at one. I plan on having lunch with Jimmy and then going to the doctors.”

“Well, in that case, James, why don’t you take the afternoon off.” “Thanks Gramps, I appreciate that.”

“Mr. Thomas was very please with you today. In fact everywhere you worked, your supervisors were pleased. I look forward to you becoming a full time employee when you finish school.”

“Thanks Gramps, I just did as they asked. The tasks weren’t hard but did require you to pay attention. I like working there and the people I worked with were very knowledgeable as well as being friendly.”

“Good with your permission I’ll pass that on.” I smiled while nodding yes. “Grams, have you talked to mom or dad lately?”

“Your mom calls about once a week, but your dad doesn’t call. I don’t think he liked the fact that Brandon stayed here with his boyfriend.”

“If that’s the case, he certainly won’t like the fact that I’m driving Nick home and will see Brandon again. Nor if he finds out about Richard and I.”

“Don’t worry about your dad. His Spanish background is clouding his judgement right now. He’ll come around.”

Saying good night, we left Gram and Gramps took our cups and plates to the kitchen. Out of habit, I rinsed them and put them in the dishwasher.

That night as I laid in bed, I thought about my father. I’m not sure he’d make peace with Brand and me.

“Jimmy, don’t think too hard. I love you, you have loving grandparents, and I’m sure your mom and Brandon love you. I’d even bet Nick and Charles love you.”

“I do, but as a friend.”

I laughed, “You are suppose to be sleeping and not listening to our conversation.”

“I can’t help it. You talk so loud.”

I snuggled into Rich and couldn’t wait until he got that cast off. I placed my arm around his chest and drew him closer. I had to tease as I moved my hand down to the rim of his briefs. I was just going to move my hand under the waistband when his hand grabbed mine and took it back to nestle on his chest. Kissing the back of his head, I fell asleep.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 14
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

Nice chapter, but it has to be out of sequence since it skips the meeting at the diner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Nice chapter, but it has to be out of sequence since it skips the meeting at the diner.

I'm curious also didn't Brand and Charles Leave?And I heard no mention of taking a trip to Ames.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
14 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I'm curious also didn't Brand and Charles Leave?And I heard no mention of taking a trip to Ames.

Jimmy was also supposed to be going back to work the next day. Clearly we've skipped at least one but likely more chapters. I'm guessing a chapter (16) has been misnumbered.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
48 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Nice chapter, but it has to be out of sequence since it skips the meeting at the diner.

It was I corrected it. I've posted the correct chapter

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Nice chapter, but it has to be out of sequence since it skips the meeting at the diner.

It was but I've reposted the correct chapter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Jimmy was also supposed to be going back to work the next day. Clearly we've skipped at least one but likely more chapters. I'm guessing a chapter (16) has been misnumbered.

I have corrected it, reposted 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Jimmy is certainly straightening out the company from the bottom up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Jimmy is certainly straightening out the company from the bottom up.

For a successful company it seems to have a lot of glitches.That's why at first I thought these problems were planted to see if Jimmy would find them.But they do business with with the government that probably explains a lot.OK no more politics lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
7 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

For a successful company it seems to have a lot of glitches.That's why at first I thought these problems were planted to see if Jimmy would find them.But they do business with with the government that probably explains a lot.OK no more politics lol

You'll see companies which are monopolys and the government do business in ways which defy common business logic and practices. I've seen monopolys insist on revising a contract because it was too cheap and they weren't paying enough. Crazy eh?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drpaladin said:

You'll see companies which are monopolys and the government do business in ways which defy common business logic and practices. I've seen monopolys insist on revising a contract because it was too cheap and they weren't paying enough. Crazy eh?

Not really, large corporations utilizing United Citizens can and do influence politicians. Crazy yes, but it's done. Just think about corporations taking money from the government under the Covid19 bailout. It is hard to believe they don't have an emergency fund.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
8 minutes ago, CLJobe said:

Not really, large corporations utilizing United Citizens can and do influence politicians. Crazy yes, but it's done. Just think about corporations taking money from the government under the Covid19 bailout. It is hard to believe they don't have an emergency fund.

Well, I call it the Cost Plus Paradox. When you do business under those terms, you literally can't afford to save someone else's money because then they might begin to question why everything else similar is so expensive.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 5/13/2020 at 12:33 AM, drpaladin said:

Nice chapter, but it has to be out of sequence since it skips the meeting at the diner.

I don’t think the meeting has happened as yet? 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..