Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 937 Words
  • 1,780 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 17. Chapter 17

In a way going back at night was a good experience for Nicky. You have to rely on the instruments because there is no way are you able to see. The first time you do it you’re really scared. It’s like walking in the dark and knowing there’s a cliff somewhere and you aren’t sure where.

Glen came up, “Do you want to catch a little sleep, I can stay with Nicky.” I gave him a kiss and headed to bed. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Peter cuddled with me, I guess he missed Glen. I slept till Glen came to wake me, “It’s getting day light and we’re almost home.”

I got up, “I’ll go and see us home, why don’t you gab a little more sleep. I think you must be warmer than me, Peter likes to snuggle with you.” Glen got in bed and Peter snuggled into his arms. I smiled and headed to the bridge.

“How are you feeling Nicky?”

“I’m okay, just a little tired.”

“Can you stay awake while I bring the nets in?”

“Yea, I’ll be okay.”

I went and brought the nets in, I was surprised as they were about half full of fish. I went and brought up the rest of the tins, loaded the fish directly from the nets into the tins, when Charles came to help. I gave him a big hug. With the nets being empty, I went and took over the helm. “Nicky, go and grab some sleep. You won’t get much but a couple of hours will help.”

As I got close to the docks, Uncle came out. Blew the whistle twice, letting the cannery know we were coming in. That woke Peter and Glen, Nicky was out of it.

Glen came up and helped me dock. I saw the cannery truck coming, “Are you up to helping me unload these tins.”

“Sure, I’m tired but other wise I’m okay, how about you?”

“I’m very tired so it’ll be an early night tonight. I don’t think we should do this again.”

“Yes, it was risky. I was surprised at Nicky, he held the course and chatted all the time I was there. He thinks a lot of you and said he’s glad I found you. I told him I was glad I found you too. There might be a little hero worship there.”

“I think he’s a great kid and there’s no reason for hero worship, a hero I’m not.”

“You are to me”

At that moment I had a strong desire to grab him and give him an earth shaking kiss when Charles showed up.

“Dad, did we catch a lot of fish?”

“We sure did and now the hard work.” He looked at me as if he didn’t understand, “All of the fish in the holding tanks have to be put in the tins and taken to the dock.”

I needed more tins, I asked the cannery guys, they brought ten, “I need more.”

Nicky came up on deck, “How do you feel?”

“I’m still tired but I’ll check the weights.”

Charles went with Nicky to check weights. Glen and I started to carry the tins that were full to the dock. Then we started to empty the holding tanks. When we were done, we smelled like fish and that wasn’t a pleasant smell. “I think we should get cleaned up before we deliver the fish.”

I had two ice chests full of fish, I had customers, Grandmother, Glen’s parents and of course Stella. With all of the fish off the boat, I hosed the holding tanks, opening the drain to the outside.

I took the money, the slips from the cannery, Nicky said they were ok. I looked at Charles and he nodded yes. “Let’s go and get cleaned up.” Between Nicky, Glen and I, we carried the two ice chests home.

Walking into the laundry room, “Charles, Peter we smell like fish. So we need to take a shower and get out of these clothes. Peter, I want you to take the first shower. Do you see the bottles marked 1,2 and 3?” He shook his head yes. “Okay, I want you to use the first bottle and wash all over real good, and rinse. Take bottle marked 2, and wash again, finally take bottle marked 3 and wash again. When you are done, you’ll smell like a flower.” Peter laughed, “Charles after Peter it will be your turn and then Nicky’s turn.”

I watched Peter follow my instructions. I took the towels, placed them in the dryer to warm them. When Peter was finished, I took a warm towel and help dry him. Wrapping the towel around him, “Peter, go and sit in the living room till we all are washed.”

We followed the same routine until we were all clean. I took the boys upstairs and gave them clean clothes to wear. “Charles, please help Peter.” Charles nodded and I showed them the room where the clothes were on the bed. Glen and I went and dressed, as usual, sweats, T-shirt and flip flops.

“Okay guys, we have fish to deliver.” First stop was Grandmother’s house where I paid the boys and left the fish. Next stop was Glen’s parents, where we begged off from dinner and headed home. I iced the fish we would take with us tomorrow.

“Kev, I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to hit the bed.”

“I’m right behind you.”

No fooling around, Glen snuggled into me and we were asleep in seconds.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..