Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 915 Words
  • 3,075 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 36. Chapter 36

The boys get to see the new boat at the shipyard

When the boys came, they knew something was up. I had a big smile and was very happy. “Boys, Glen and I bought a boat. Now I want you to know it’s a little smaller than our old boat but we can go fishing again.”

As Tony opened the door, I watched the boys. The older boys smiled, Charles and Peter eyes were big, “Dad, is that our new boat?”

“Yes, what say we check it out.” I didn’t have to say anything more as they climbed the ladder to the deck. They had to check out the dining area.

I opened the door leading to the cabins, “Follow me”

When we enter the corridor, I took advantage of checking out the cabins as well.

The Captains cabin was overdone for a fishing boat, large bed, a small table and a head with a shower. There were two dressers and when put together made a table for a map layout. Leaving the Captain's cabin I checked one of the other cabins, they had bunk beds that were a little wider than normal.

Tony saw me looking, “He had them custom made.”

It was Peter who asked the question, “Dad, when can we go back to fishing?” I saw the others ears wiggling waiting for my answer. I looked at Tony, he nodded.

“Next week we’ll take her out. Fishing back on but today, we’re going crabbing.”

“Tony, will you have her painted by then?”

He nodded yes. We loaded the sheets on the truck, Nicky drove the truck home with Glen. I took the boys and went crabbing. When I cleaned the fish last week, I forgot to empty the plastic bag, so we had plenty of crab bait. The boys were excited about the boat.

“Boys, let’s keep the boat a secret. Then when the boat is at the dock, we’ll surprise them.”

They thought that was a good idea. By the time Glen and Nicky arrived, we had one ice chest full. Glen and I watched, if they thought the crab was too small, back it went. Glen looked at me, I smiled and got a kiss.

“You guys getting hungry?”

“Yea, Pop, but we don’t have enough crabs yet.”

“Okay, as soon as you get the second chest full will go and eat.”

 

Now when you have six boys crabbing and it only takes one to fill a chest what do you do. You scrounge around the trunk of the car until you find something to carry the crabs. That is what they did, they doubled two old plastic bags, added the crabs, then put the plastic bags into a paper bag. The boys carried the chests and bags to the Wharf. Andy led them right to the kitchen.

He came right back, “Can we give some to Aunt Mary and Uncle Barney?”

“You bet”

“What did you bring in those chests?”

“Fish”

“Where did you get the fish? You don't have a boat.”

“How did people fish before boats?”

“You don’t have fish, so what do you have?”

“You seem awfully concerned. Where you in on the sabotage of our boat?”

“NO, and don’t you start spreading rumors”

I looked at Uncle and winked, Barney brought beers over for the kids. “Thanks for bringing our dinner.”

Now the Captain’s ears seemed to pick up. “Dad, when are you going to start looking for a new boat?”

“Probably next week, I’ll go on line to see what’s available.”

“Kev, the mermaids said they missed us. I told them what happened, they said the boats won’t catch fish until we have our new boat.”

“Well, I don’t know if that’s fair. Maybe when you are crabbing tomorrow you can tell them we appreciate their concern but we caught the person responsible.”

“Okay if that’s what you want” then in a whisper, loud enough for the Captains to hear, “They said they would watch over our new boat when we get it.”

I smiled, I was proud of my boys and in truth the Captains weren’t very please with them. Kids out fishing men who've fished way longer than the kids. I watched Jim, he would look at Uncle and smile.

Soon Mary came out a dropped a huge platter of steamed crabs on our table. I watched as she went back and brought a platter for Barney, he smiled. “Save the shells guys, the mermaids want them.”

At the Captain’s table there was the one captain who alway seemed angry, I called him Captain Ahab, it’s like he wanted to be an Admiral but was frustrated and so he said things to irritate those not sitting at his table. Looking at Nicky, “Hey kid, don’t you know the Captains get their share first.”

Nicky looked at him, “Sure, you can buy a share for fifty dollars.”

“I think I’ll just help myself.”

He stood up, that was when Glen, Nicky and I stood up. We removed out T-shirts and stood in front of our table. He sat back down mumbling something.

Jim said something, “You’re only sticking up with them because they give you the coordinates to fish.”

“I told you where I fish, what did you say, ‘that’s too far’ so don’t gripe.”

Before we left, we placed the uneaten crabs on their table. The boys took the shells and headed to the docks.

“Where are you going with those?”

“Give them to the mermaids.” They looked at Andy.

Spirits high again. Fishing is still on.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 13
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..