Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 934 Words
  • 4,570 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 35. Chapter 35

Kevin buys a boat. Care to guess what he names it?

Driving to work, “You said a possibility of a new boat, what did you mean?”

“I talked to Tony from the ship yard, he said he just got a boat in that the owner wants to sell. I said I’d look at it this afternoon. I’ll take the boys to strip the boat and to say goodbye.”

My heart wasn’t in my work, Marge noticed something as soon as we stopped for coffee and breakfast. “What’s wrong boys?”

Glen told her about the boat.

“Don’t worry, it’ll work out.”

“Glen, I’m going to need to work through lunch. Missing yesterday will cause a back log.”

“Okay, I’ll bring lunch.”

Instead of leaving at three, I left at four. I need to come up with a better way of logging the activity of the day.

Glen drove home, “Stella said not to worry about the fish, you can double the amount when you resume fishing.” I laughed.

Pulling into the drive way, all of the boys were waiting on the porch. For the first time today, I smiled. “Hey, ready to go and say goodbye to our boat?”

There wasn’t a smile, I saw a few tears.

“Boys, this isn't the end, it may be a new beginning . You’ll see before long we’ll be back catching fish,”

     

Glen and I went and changed into our sweats. Nicky was backing the truck out of the garage. “Glen, we need to put the chests in the garage. Just take the two small ice chests for any food left on the boat.”

Jamie was backing the car out of the garage, Scott, Charles and Johnny were sitting in the car. I got in and told Jamie where to drive. Looking out the back, I could see Nicky following us.

Approaching the ship yard, I saw our boat on wooden supports sitting in the yard. I heard a few sighs from the back seat. I saw Tony coming and walked to meet him.

“Kev, the man who destroyed your motor may have done you a favor. Look here” Tony moved to the starboard side, he grabbed a board and pulled, it broke in pieces. “From what I can tell the whole undercarriage is rotten.”

“I need to get the boys stripping her.”

I saw the boys looking, Charles and Peter had tears as they touched her.

“Boys, we need to get all of the sheets and pillow cases. Nicky you need to get the charts. This is the key to the safe, you need to get the petty cash box. Check the fridge and freezer for any food, also the cabinets.”

“You don’t need to worry about the food, the boys cleaned the fridge and freezer. Now come with me, I think you need cheering up.”

I followed Tony to a building, he opened the sliding door, “What do you think?”

“It’s beautiful”

“It could be yours. The man who owns this bought it so he could get away from his wife, she heard him telling that to a neighbor, now he has to sell it. He wants 110,000 for it. What do you say?”

“Can I look?”

“Sure” Tony rolled over a ladder.

I walked into the cabin, it was like walking into a fancy dining room, leather seats around a mahogany table. The galley had all of the equipment plus a four burner propane stove. “This is beautiful”

“Wait” Tony opened a door which led down a flight of steps. At the base he turned right and opened a door. “This is the bottom of the holding tanks, there are two which I’ll show you when we go back up. What I want to show you are the winches.” As he pointed out the secured fastenings, “These fastenings are repeated at the base as well. Look, you could pick up your old boat with these winches.”

I followed Tony, as we left that room we continued along a corridor till he came almost to the center of the boat. He flipped a switch, I looked and counted eight cabins.

“There’s a Captain’s cabin and seven cabins equipped with bunk beds. At the far end are two heads equipped with showers and the door in the middle leads to the engine room. On either side of the engine room are holding tanks for shrimp and lobster. Those winches are mounted the same way as in the bow.”

Tony opened the door to the engine room, I almost cried, there were two of the most beautiful engines I ever saw. “These units will give you two hundred fifty hp, each.”

“Where’s the fuel storage and water storage?”

“In the keel, water is stored in a thousand gallon stainless steel tank and the fuel is stored in a similar stainless steel tank. Both are filled from the top.”

“Let’s go up top, I’d like to check the holding tanks.”

The holding tanks were more than what I had, they were almost double. I looked up and the bridge was over the dining area.

“What do you think?”

“I’ll have a check for you Monday. I need you to paint the name on it. The Peter Charles”

Tony laughed, “Come and sign the papers”

“Glen, come and sign the papers, I bought a boat.”

“Don’t I get to see it first?”

“No, trust me”

 

Once the papers were signed, “Glen, have the boys finish stripping the boat?”

“Yes”

“Get them and ask them to follow me. Tony, I didn’t get a chance to check the cabins, mind if I do that?”

“It’s your boat”

Fishing is back on.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow 7 cabins enough for that growing crew. Although me personally wouldn't mind bunking up depending on the crew members LOL 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Wow 7 cabins enough for that growing crew. Although me personally wouldn't mind bunking up depending on the crew members LOL 

naughty naughty.  the original owner must have planned parties and  not much fishing.  probably had to tell his wife it was for fishing but I don't think he would be any doing real fishing 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

A new boat for more fishing is a wonderful thing! Add to that it is bigger and safer. That will probably improve their catch. Will Kevin be able to retire from his day job? Or does he enjoy it and need it for a stable income? Will Uncle be the captain of the new boat? Is the fishing mostly income for him and the boys? I am happy with this turn of events! Thanks. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Dathi said:

Happy days ahead, enchanting chapter and it sounded as if the old boat was becoming unseaworthy which could have seriously endangered the lives of the crew.  Thank you for sharing your story and well done.

Thanks. Salt water will take it's toil most boats now have fiberglass shells or coating.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

A new boat for more fishing is a wonderful thing! Add to that it is bigger and safer. That will probably improve their catch. Will Kevin be able to retire from his day job? Or does he enjoy it and need it for a stable income? Will Uncle be the captain of the new boat? Is the fishing mostly income for him and the boys? I am happy with this turn of events! Thanks. 

I think Captain, has decided to retire. The holds on the new boat are quite a bit larger than the Scuffy. So if Kevin and the boys are able to fill them, there will be more income. I think Kevin is looking at retiring in 5 to 7 years.  But you never can tell what the future will hold for Kevin, Glen and the boys.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, so from sadness to happiness, so we have a much better boat what happened to the sabotager?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, so from sadness to happiness, so we have a much better boat what happened to the sabotager?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, so from sadness to happiness, so we have a much better boat what happened to the sabotager?

He's sitting comfortably in jail after losing his boat. He has company

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..