Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,347 Words
  • 2,077 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 11. Chapter 11

“You didn’t forget Stella’s fish, did you?”

“No, they are in the other ice chest. You can take them to her tomorrow. Maybe you can bring me a sandwich for lunch.”

I pulled up in front of grandmother’s house, knocking on the door. Charles came and answered it. “Charles, may we come in?”

“Gram it’s the captain of the boat.”

“Oh, I thought you were your uncle.”

“No, I’m Kevin, and this is my partner, Glen. I’m here to see Charles.”

Walking into the living room, Peter sees me and runs to me. He hugs my legs, takes my hand, and pulls me to his bedroom. I sit on the bed while he gets a small wooden box. Climbing on my lap, he opens the box. He takes out the five-dollar bill I gave him this morning for carrying the fish. “Wow, that’s a cool box, it makes money.”

“Nooo, that’s what you gave me to carry the fish for Gram.”

“You don’t have a bank?”

“No, Gram gave me this box to use.”

“Well, maybe we could do something about that, what do you think?”

“I don’t know. Gram says we shouldn’t ask for anything. It isn’t polite.”

Peter changed his position, and now he was sitting with his back to my chest. I just wrapped my arms around him in a hug. “I don’t think you were asking. I was volunteering?”

I looked at him, he had a smile, but it was a lost smile. Something was missing in his life that he needed. I knew what it was, he was very young when his parents died but old enough to know he was missing something. With my arms around him, I pulled him into my chest, I kissed him on his head, and then I felt my shirt becoming wet. Peter was crying, “Peter, are you okay?”

“Charles said he remembers when Dad would do that. Now I know what it was like.”

“I’m sorry your dad isn’t here to do this, but if it’s okay with you, I’ll do it when I’m here.”

Sobbing, “Can I call you Dad”

“If I can call you son.”

Before I knew it, a pair of arms were around my neck. Now my neck was getting wet. I just held him. I was a lot older when I lost my parents. I would have given anything to have someone hold me like I was holding Peter. “Are you okay, son?”

“Yes, Dad” I felt something when he called me Dad. What it was I didn’t know, but what I did know, I had a son, and I’d treat him as my son.

“Let’s go and see what the others are doing,” I picked him up and sat him on my shoulders, “hang on."

Walking into the living room, Glen smiled, Gram dabbed her eyes and Charles just looked. I sat on the floor, Indian style. Guess who sat in the lap I formed. “Glen, can you go and get the tape measure and the pad that’s in the glove compartment.” I whispered to Peter, “Go with Pap, he has a surprise for you and Charles.”

Peter got up, I reached for Charles and pulled him into my lap where Peter was sitting. “I came to get your measurements. If you’re going to work on my boat, you must be dressed like us, ok?”

He smiled, “I don’t know how to work on a boat.”

“No one knows at first. Don’t worry I’ll train you to be the best first mate on the seven seas.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure”

“Peter called you Dad, can I call you Dad as well.”

I pulled Charles into my chest. I didn’t want him to see my tears. Gram saw and left. “Charles, nothing would give me greater pleasure for you to call me Dad. Any man would be glad to have you and Peter call them Dad.”

The smile on his face told me there was a happy boy. I stop to take measurements, and I end up with two sons. I had a shiver and didn’t know why, but it felt good.

Peter came running in with the popcorn. “Charles, look what Dad had for us, popcorn.”

He handed a bag to Charles. “Let’s put some in a bowl, and then you can have some tomorrow.” That is what they did,

With Glen’s help, we took Charles’s measurements. “Your next Peter”

“Dad, I’m not working the boat, why do you measure me?”

“Who knows, maybe you will soon. Anyway, both of my sons must be dressed the same, so everyone will know you’re my sons.”

More tears from Gram. Measurements taken, Glen and I sat on the floor, Indian style. Peter sat in Glen’s lap, and Charles sat in mine, eating popcorn. Gram offered tea, which we accepted.

We stayed like that until bedtime. Glen put Peter on his shoulders and headed for his bedroom. “Do you take a shower before bed?”

“No”

“Brush teeth?”

“Yes”

“You know Dad, and I always shower after brushing our teeth before going to bed. Why don’t you take a shower while I get your pajamas?”

Gram was listening at the door. She handed Glen Peter’s pajamas. Glen helped Peter into his pj’s. “Dad, come and say goodnight.”

I walked in with Charles, “Let’s say our prayers. Charles, you can join in.”

At the time, I didn’t think anything of it, but two adults, one teenager, and one child kneeling saying goodnight prayers.

Peter jumped in bed. He gave us a hug and a kiss. We gave him a hug and a kiss. Tucking him in, Glen and I said together, “sleep well”.

“Okay, Charles, you’re next.”

We didn’t need to tell Charles about taking a shower. He had on a robe when he came out of the bathroom. He put on a pair of pajama bottoms, jumped in bed. We tucked him in, saying good night with a hug and kiss.

“Glen, we need to get them some sweats to sleep in.”

“At least Charles, Peter might be too young”

“I don’t think that should be an issue. He’s pretty close to his brother, like you and Nicky.”

With the boys tucked in, “Glen, we should go. We have a busy day tomorrow. Gram, it was our pleasure, and we’ll be back with the clothes probably on Wednesday.”

“Kevin, can you give me a call during the week?”

“Sure, Thursday would be a good day for me.” Writing down her phone number and giving her my phone number as well as Glen’s. “Goodnight, take good care of my sons.” Yes, more tears.

Driving home, “Yes, I’ll marry you.”

I pulled the car over and stopped, “What did you say?”

Laughing, “I said yes, I’ll marry you.” I grabbed Glen and gave him a kiss that curled both of our toes. I didn’t want to know what had changed his mind. I was just glad he said yes. The rest of the way home, I kept glancing at him. Pulling into the garage, I grabbed him and gave him another kiss, “I love you.” He just looked at me, smiled, kissed me. We got out of the car and headed inside. “Wait, I need to put more ice on Stella’s fish.”

While I did that, Glen fixed us something to eat. He had a platter of cheese and crackers with two beers. “Light snacks are all we need.”

“Yes, dear”

The shower was extra nice, knowing that this would last forever. Later, lying in bed, “Kev, what do you think about carrying our lovemaking to the next step?”

“Glen, I have never done that. You’re the first for everything. I think before we take that step, it should be a moment of significance in our lives. I’d like to wait until our honeymoon.”

The response I got from Glen was out of this world. I had to make sure he saw stars as well. Snuggling I had the best sleep of my life, I was sleeping with my life mate.

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 11
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

CLJobe

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Come on now you almost made me cry.Good chapter

Thanks, get ready for more.

Edited by CLJobe
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..