Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,056 Words
  • 2,297 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 22. Chapter 22

Do you believe in mermaids? Maybe you will, if you are a fisherman.

At day break, we sounded the horn. “Let’s pull the nets within sight of the dock.”

They looked at me and began to laugh. “You know they know we’re coming in.”

I just smiled. I wasn’t being mean but a fishing boat manned by kids is usually made a laughing joke. I knew some of the captains that sat at Uncle’s table at the Wharf. I’m sure they gave him a ribbing about not finding men to work his boat and having to rely on kids.

The cannery truck arrived as we pulled the nets. With the nets up, we docked the boat. “Charles, go and drop the anchor.” I need to teach Nicky and Jamie how to tie up the boat. We’ll practice when we go to sea.

We started to unload the tins of tuna. I saw the crew of the round table coming over to watch. I heard one of them ask Uncle how he was able to get a full load each week. “Look, I don’t know. I’m not sure where we are most of the time. That kid Nicky takes the helm and then heads out. He tells us to drop the nets and we do. Dam how he knows, but we always get a full load. I think the mermaids talk to him.”

I could tell they didn’t believe him but they had to believe the load we unloaded. Again we took an additional twenty-five tins from the cannery, filled them and my ice chests. I heard one of the captains telling uncle he was buying. With all of the fish unloaded, we closed up the boat. I took an ice chest to the Wharf and gave Marie several fish. I knew she would cook them for Barney and Uncle as well as herself.

Walking home, I detoured to the bank with Peter on my shoulders. Everything was routine now, ice chests loaded into the trunk of the car, after adding more ice, showering and dressing. “Let’s go, we have fish to deliver.” I took the time to put fish aside for Stella.

Dropping fish off at Gram’s, we headed to Glen’s parents. Again I could smell the grill going. “What do you bet we won’t be invited to dinner?” I said this as I entered the house with several fish.

“You keep talking like that and you won’t be invited to eat with us.”

“Aw Mom, you know we love you.”

“That’s not going to work.”

We lined up, “Peter go and give Grandma a kiss, Charles go and give Grandma a kiss, Nicky go and give your mother a kiss, Glen go and give your mother a kiss.” She looked at me, “No kisses unless we are invited to dinner.”

Everyone was laughing when I saw Glen’s dad heading in, I went and gave her a kiss.

“Hey what’s going on here?”

Before she could say anything, “It’s her fault. She wanted to know why Glen liked my kisses, so I showed her.” Now everyone was laughing, “I whispered, if you invite me to dinner, I’ll tel the truth.”

“Glen, this guy is trouble, okay you’re invited to dinner.”

“Dad, the only way I knew to get her to invite us to dinner was for each of us to give her a kiss.”

 

“Dad, you should have seen what happened on the dock today. Just before we docked, I blew the horn and we pulled the nets, loaded with fish. One of the captains of another boat was making fun of us since out boat is manned by kids. Another captain asked Uncle how come we come back loaded, he told him he didn't know. He said the kid takes the boat out and says drop here. He said the mermaids are in love with me and load my nets.”

“I don’t think the other captains believed Uncle, but it’s a good story.”

“Nicky, do you steer the boat?”

“Yes, he does and he does it very well. You need to be proud of him, right Glen.”

“I’ve always been proud of him.”

Nicky smiled, “Let’s eat, the hamburgers are ready.”

I waited till everyone left the kitchen, “Nicky, here’s your earnings.” He smiled as he gave me a hug.

Waking outside I saw Jamie standing by himself with a burger on a plate. “Jamie, would you sell that burger?” He looked at me perplexed, “Here is your wages for this week-end.” I took a hundred dollar bill, rolled it and stuck in his pocket and I took the hamburger.

I watched him take out the bill, his eyes grew big and he smiled. He looked over at Nicky, headed for another hamburger and then to Nicky. I saw him whisper in Nicky’s ear. Nicky looked at me and then said something to Jamie. I had a young crew but I’d stack them up against any other crew and win.

     

Driving home, “Jamie, think your folks would like some fish?"

“I thought you gave it all away.”

“Nope, I always have some for the crew.” Looking in the rear view mirror I could see Jamie smiling. Arriving at Jamie’s home his dad came out as soon as we pulled into the drive way. “Are you interested in having some fish your son help catch?”

“Sure, what do you have?”

I opened the trunk and ice chest, “Take your pick” Just then Jamie came out with a pan.

“Dad, those are larger than the lake bass we catch.”

“They sure are. I hope you know how to clean them.”

“I hoped you’d do it while I was in school.”

“You know the rule, you clean what you catch.”

I winked at Jamie, “Here let me put these in your pan” Nicky saw what I was doing, I gave Jamie the fish I had cleaned.“Okay, guys, see you next week Jamie. Bob, I hope you know how to clean those fish.” Laughing, I got in the car and drove home. Nicky would stay overnight, I’d take the kids home in the morning on our way to work.

     

When we arrived at Grams in the morning, I paid them and then put a quarter in their banks so when they shook them they would hear the quarter. Peter especially liked the idea.

Fishermen are noted for telling stories. The mermaids will become a part of this story. Glen is named after his father, it was his father that caught Kevin kissing his wife. l
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Just thought I'd drop in to say that I really like this story.

Not just for the story itself. Even though the chapters are short, they are regular so that it doesn't matter.

I enjoy that you don't have to invest too much of yourself into this story to enjoy/appreciate it. Well I know what I mean, so Thanks :)

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

Just thought I'd drop in to say that I really like this story.

Not just for the story itself. Even though the chapters are short, they are regular so that it doesn't matter.

I enjoy that you don't have to invest too much of yourself into this story to enjoy/appreciate it. Well I know what I mean, so Thanks :)

 

 

Thanks for reading and your comments.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting chapter, the crew seems to be able to get the fishing done better than the old folks

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting chapter, the crew seems to be able to get the fishing done better than the old folks

If you think about it, they fish for the fun and not dependent on the income for living expenses. They are treated as adults, no catering because of age. Kev and Glen make it fun. The enthusiasm of youth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..