Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 806 Words
  • 2,071 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 34. Chapter 34

Kev remembers the camera

There was no question I was depressed. We fished where the other boats didn’t want to go. I just don’t understand it. Walking into the grocery store, “Tony, this is Kev…. No, I’m a little upset someone sabotaged the boat. Could you pull it before Friday? I don’t want the boys to see it. ….Thanks”

“Glen, the camera, I forgot we put the camera on the boat. I need to call Bob and have him meet me there. Could you finish shopping, I’ll send one of the boys to help.”

I called Bob and asked him to meet me at the boat, then I called home and asked Andy to meet Glen at the grocery store. I think I ran to the boat, I needed to check that camera. Bob was waiting for me with another police officer. Bob said he was his partner, Ben. I showed them the damage. Going back to the deck, I noticed the camera was still installed and working. I disconnected the camera and took it with me to the cabin.

“Kev, do you now who did this?”

“No, but we’re about to find out.”

I turned on the small screen which was connected to the camera. As the picture cleared we saw the back of a man entering the passage way leading to the cabins and the side door for the engine room. Then we watched for about twenty-five minutes when the man began to climb the stairs, the picture was perfect.

“Do you know who he is?”

“I’m not sure but I’ve seen him around the Jolly Roger. The Jolly Roger isn’t here anymore, they’re docking up at the Cove Marina.”

“Well, we have his picture, we’ll find him. What are you going to do about the kids? They’re going to be very disappointed.”

“I’m going to buy a new boat, fishing is important to them. I can’t stop now.”

     

“Hey, Tony that was quick.”

“I wanted to see if we could pick it up with a crane or have it tugged to the shop.”

“Tony, the boat is shot so it isn’t important how you get it out of here, I’ll be scrapping this one and buying a new boat.”

“I may be able to help you with that. I have a boat that the owner wants to sell. Stop over when you have a chance.”

“Thanks Tony, I’ll probably see you tomorrow afternoon. I’ll bring the boys over and they can strip the boat. There are sheets and things we’ll need for a new boat.”

“Do you want a ride home?”

“Yes, thanks”

 

“Good timing, guests are here. Kev, we can’t all sit around the kitchen table.”

“We can use the dining room.”

“Dining room, I didn't know you had a dining room.”

“Here” I opened the two smoked glass doors off of the kitchen, flipped on the light switch.

“I thought these doors led to the outside.”

“No, but the doors out of the solarium do.” I opened the doors at the far end of the room. “My plants need some water. It has been a while since I was in here. This use to be my escape room when my parents were living. If something bothered me, I’d come here.”

“Anymore surprises?”

“No, I just never thought to show you around. This week-end I’ll show you a few more surprises.”

“I think we’d better set the table.”

The boys helped, Mom made gravy for the chicken, from the smell I’d say that Nicky did a good job. Later I confirmed that as I tasted the chicken. “Nicky, ever think about culinary school?”

“No, I like cooking for friends but that’s it. Besides with Mom teaching me, who needs a culinary school.”

Dinner was great, I knew I was quiet as compare to how I usually am. As I ate, I was thinking how to tell the kids, especially Peter. Glen squeezed my hand and smiled, “It’ll all work out, don’t worry.” I smiled.

 

After dinner and Glen’s folks had left, I gathered the kids in the rec room. “I have some bad news. Do you remember me talking about someone trying to sabotage our boat? Well, it happened again only this time the boat is beyond repair. Until I find a new boat, we can't go fishing.”

Peter crawled up on my lap, there were tears in his eyes. “Dad, you can have my money.”

“Thank you, Peter. But with every bad news there’s also hope. Tomorrow we’re going to look at a boat. If it’s to be, we’ll be fishing again within a couple of weeks.”

“What are we going to do till then?”

“We could go crabbing.”

“Yea, Dad, that’ll be fun.”

Peter’s enthusiasm seemed to catch. Everyone agreed that would be a good idea.

The Jolly Roger was a boat that originally docked at the Wharf. The captain was a very unpleasant man who didn't like the idea of Kevin, Glen and the boys out fishing him and his crew. He moved his boat to a new docking area but could not let go of his jealousy.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 12
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow a bitter old man and no doubt he is deep in the closet, he will deserve all the crap that comes his way

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mikedup said:

Wow a bitter old man and no doubt he is deep in the closet, he will deserve all the crap that comes his way

he did as he was the one who hired the man to sabotage the Duffy. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Bitter Captain of 'not so Jolly' Roger behind scuttling of boy's dreams! But hell-LOU still involved? I hope they both get keel hauled and royally scrod! (a heavy east coast accent  'screwed' sound like Scrod). 

God bless little Peter's BIG heart! (please don't let his heart get broken. Keep Gram well).

Tony

 

Ps: https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/the-legend-of-the-sacred-cod-or-haddock-or-scrod/

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Bitter Captain of 'not so Jolly' Roger behind scuttling of boy's dreams! But hell-LOU still involved? I hope they both get keel hauled and royally scrod! (a heavy east coast accent  'screwed' sound like Scrod). 

God bless little Peter's BIG heart! (please don't let his heart get broken. Keep Gram well).

Tony

 

Ps: https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/the-legend-of-the-sacred-cod-or-haddock-or-scrod/

interesting story. The Atlantic cod is one of favorite fish. Thanks for sharing that with me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Timejun said:

WAY TOO SHORT, but an excellent story.  Can't wait til the next one

🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 6/16/2020 at 9:25 AM, Timejun said:

WAY TOO SHORT, but an excellent story.  Can't wait til the next one

it's up 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..