Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,818 Words
  • 1,132 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 29. Chapter 29

Crowding in the truck, Glen drove them to Grams. Peter was the first to get out and headed for the door. “Gram, we have fish for you.”

Gram came out and gave Peter a kiss. “Okay, I’ll get my pan” When she came back out to the truck, the boys were all line up. She laughed and giving the pan to Charles, went and got her camera. Kevin opened the ice chest and took out two fish.

“Charles, are you going to clean these for Gram?”

“Dad, I need to get someone.”

Kev smiled as Charles took off down the street. “Andy, ever clean fish?”

“No”

“Want to learn?” Andy didn’t say anything, he came and stood next Kev. “Okay, this knife is very sharp so you need to be careful.” Kevin showed him how to clean fish on one fish. Giving the knife to Andy, “Okay your turn” Kevin watched Andy, he was slow but he finished without cutting himself. “On the next fish, you’ll get faster, in fact you can clean two more for the young lady behind you.”

By the time they left Grams, Andy had become quite proficient at cleaning fish. Everyone piled back into the truck and headed to Glen’s and Nicky’s parents.

“Okay boys, I want us to line up by height, then we are going to walk to the back yard. When we get there, I want all of us to say, ‘no old hotdogs for us’ got it?’ They nodded yes and sure enough Glen’s dad was about to yell for the two old hotdogs, when the kids said, ‘no old hotdogs for us’. Glen’s dad looked at the group and started to laugh.

“You know, I never know what to expect with you guys. Seems your group has grown a little.” Nicky did the honors and introduced Scott and Andy to his dad and subsequently to his mother.

“Kevin, you are developing a small army.”

“No, a small navy, but a fishing navy” We couldn’t turn down a hamburger. “Mom, I have your fish.”

Mom followed me to the truck, “Are those containers full of fish?”

“Yes, I have quite a following and I hope to sell some. There’s a fish market and I have several customers now. But they are not paying customers.”

“I guess there’s a story behind each boy.”

“Yes, and speaking about that we have ordered some furniture. Could you possibly be there to receive the furniture and have them place it in the room.”

“Yes, but I need to see your home. I’ve never been there.”

“That’s true, how about coming over tomorrow night. Maybe Dad can come as well. We should be home about seven and if we aren’t Nicky has a key and he can let you in and show you around.

“How many bedrooms do you have?”

“I have four but only three have beds.”

“Why do you need four, you only have two boys staying with you?”

“It would seem that way, Nicky has a room, Scott has a room but I need one for Andy.”

“Why does Nicky have a room, he has the apartment here?”

“I think he likes to be around us, and there is the rec room. Get him to show you the house, I think you’ll have an idea.”

     

Saying goodbye, we packed into the truck and headed for Johnny’s house. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, Johnny’s dad came out. “Been expecting you, I’m afraid we’re becoming fish lovers.”

“No problem, Johnny take some fish and show your dad how you clean them.” I watched as Johnny took out two fish and quickly cleaned them. His dad was smiling and you could see the pride in his eyes, Johnny’s mother came out with a pan.

“Mother, guess who cleaned those fish?”

“Johnny, did you clean them?” Johnny just smiled as he nodded yes. “I’m not sure what has happened with my son, but ever since he attended that party he hasn’t been the same. He’s more confident and he loves fishing.”

“Johnny is a good lad and fishing brings out the best in any boy, it did for me. We have fun but we also work hard.” I slipped Johnny’s pay into his pocket.

“Can I go back with Kevin and Glen?”

“Well, if they don’t have a problem.”

“It’s no problem, Johnny you need to empty your pocket. We’ll wait for you. The next time you come over to pick up Johnny or drop him off, get him to show you the rec room. You may get an Idea why he likes to spend time with the boys.”

Saying goodbye, the boys piled into the truck and we left for Jamie’s house. I looked at Glen and he smiled. It’s funny how you can communicate with expressions. I knew he was happy and I was glad. Arriving at Jamie’s house, his mother came out.

“Bob isn’t here?”

“No, he got called out on an emergency. How was the fishing?”

I was ready to answer when Jamie said, “Fantastic Mom. I don’t know what we have done but the mermaids really like us. They are always flirting with us.”

It was hard for me not to laugh, I saw Glen get back into the truck. The boys were all agreeing with Jamie. “Mom, I cleaned two fish for you, do you have a pan for them?” Jamie’s mom went and got a pan. I slipped Jamie’s money in his sweats. He smiled, placing the fish in the pan, he took it back into the house. I knew he’d put his money away.

“Mom, I’m going to stay at Kev and Glen’s house tonight.

Now that all of the fish have been delivered, “Ready to go home?”

“Yea”

Pulling in the garage, “I need to check how many fish we have in the old ice chests.”

I plugged the other units into the AC outlet in the garage. Checking the small chests, there were only two fish left in one chest the other was empty. I took the fish, clean them and then wrapped them for the freezer.

The boys were in the rec room, I think Scott was showing Andy around when I saw them coming down from upstairs. “Andy, you can put your bags in the room across from Scott.”

Nicky came up stairs, “We’re going to cocoon”

“Okay, you know where the sleeping bags are that you used the last time. The rubber mattress needs to be blown up and you can use the sofa if you need it.”

“Glen, what should we do for dinner?”

“We have had big meals today so why don’t we have a refrigerator raid.”

When I opened the fridge I thought that was a good idea. It was jammed full of dishes holding a little of this and that. “Nicky, need to see you for a minute. Might as well use our chef.” Glen laughed as Nicky entered the kitchen. “Are you guys getting hungry?”

“I don’t think they are hungry, what did you have in mind?”

“A refrigerator raid”

“Well, they might go for that, I’ll ask.”

“Before you do, you’ll have to help with the food.”

“Okay”

I started to empty the fridge, “I think I’ll fix a salad for myself, do you want to share?”

“Yes, that’s a good idea” Glen set the table. We finished the salad along with a beer, when the guys came up.

“Okay, the food is on the counter, help your selves. If you need help, ask Nicky.”

Glen and I went to the living room to watch TV, “Kevin, can I talk to you for a minute.”

“Sure Andy, come and sit down here between Glen and I”

“I don’t know what’s going on. I came here expecting to stay with Aunt Mary and I end up here. I’m assuming you and Glen are gay. What’s going to happen to me?”

“I think that’s a fair question. You have been ripped up from two homes to land here which must be confusing to you. Glen and I would like for you to live with us but if you don’t want that, we understand. We asked your Aunt if it was okay for you to live here, she thought it would be best for two reasons, one, that you would see that gay people can live together without prejudice, although that isn’t true everywhere and two, she knows about the fishing and how the boys take to it. The comradeship among the boys is something you’ll treasure for a long time. When we go out this week-end, and you’ll be going with us, you’ll want to stay out there fishing.”

“So if I want to go back to Aunts, it isn’t a problem?”

“No, it won’t be a problem, although Kev and I would like you to stay.”

“There are benefits, has Nicky showed you the workout room?”

“No”

“Come, I’ll show you.” Walking down into the rec room, there was a movie playing. Charles and Peter were sitting on the sofa, eating popcorn. I gave Peter a hug and a slap five with Charles. Guess who else wanted a slap five, right Peter. Opening the door to the workout room, I turned on the lights. I watched Andy as he looked at the equipment.

“Can I use this?”

“Yes, but after I’m sure you’ll be okay. A lot of the boys use it in the morning. Glen and I use it at five thirty. So if you want you can come and use it with us.”

“Five thirty”

“Yes, or you can wait till Nicky and Jamie use it, I just want to be sure you’ll be safe. If you use the equipment the wrong way, you can seriously hurt yourself”

“Do you think I can use some muscles.”

“It isn’t the purpose of building muscles as to keep your body in shape. Look I don’t have muscles like those weight lifters, but I’m in shape and when we go out on the boat, you’ll see why it pays to stay in shape.”

“Nicky said no alcohol, is that right?”

“Yes, absolutely no alcohol, no smoking, no drugs unless prescribe by a doctor.”

“Isn’t that a bar with draughts like Uncle Barney?”

I started to laugh, “Come and I’ll give you a taste of my beer.” I pulled a glass of root beer and gave it to him.

At first he sipped the beer and then he smiled and took a big drink, “Root beer”

“Yes. Think over what we discussed upstairs and you can let me know in the morning.”

 

I went back upstairs, Glen was putting left overs back into the fridge. “I think I’m going to bed, a new day tomorrow.”

“I’ll be up as soon as I put all of this back into the fridge.”

Andy shows some concerns. I think after his first fishing trip, he will be right at home.
Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, everyone got their fish, and Andy now knows the rules , the family is definitely getting bigger and hopefully better

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..