Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,044 Words
  • 2,975 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 26. Chapter 26

After cleaning up the kitchen, “I need to check Uncle’s finances. From the sounds of that motor, I may need to put the boat in dry dock sooner than later.”

“How old is the motor?”

“I think it’s the original motor. Uncle bought the boat from a friend who said it cost too much money to operate and fishing wasn’t that good. After working on the boat, it wasn’t the money, it was the maintenance. For the last ten years we have had that boat in dry dock for maintenance and repairs, I don’t think the old owner ever had it in dry dock.”

“We should be concerned about those winches. They are being pulled up from the deck. If we aren’t careful, they’ll be pulled overboard.”

“I’ll take a close look on Friday and if I think it’s time to pull her, I will.”

With our popcorn, we watched a Disney movie. Charles was on my lap, Peter was on Glen’s lap. We each had a bag of popcorn. When the movie was over, Nicky and Charles headed toward Nicky’s room. Jamie took the room opposite and Peter climbed in our bed.

“Kev, we need to finish off the fourth bedroom.”

“It just needs a bed and a dresser.”

“If it’s okay, I’ll check a few stores today.”

“Great that’ll save me time.”

     

Monday morning seemed to come early, I had a pair of arms around my neck with a head on my shoulder, an arm around my stomach and I could feel someone very close to me. Now to get out of this. Thanks to Glen he woke and moved Peter from my neck.

Back to routine, Nicky was up, I could smell something cooking. Brushing our teeth, heading for our workout, showering, back upstairs to get dressed for work.

“Thanks Nicky, coffee was good.” I filled a thermos to take with us. I kissed Nicky, “Thanks dear, see you at dinner.”

Glen was laughing, “I think he likes the attention you give him even if it’s joking.”

“He’s a good kid. I do like him but it’s his brother whom I love.”

     

Arriving at work, I took a plastic bag and put a cleaned fish in it for Marge. “Don’t forget to give some to Jim and only six to Stella.”

“What are you going to do to the rest?”

“Stop at that fish market over on Mayberry and see if they want to buy any. Uncle charges seventy-five cents a pound at the dock, the canner gives us a dollar per pound.”

“Okay, I’ll see what I can do.”

    

Monday was Monday, Marge was happy with her fish. I told her if one wasn’t enough to let me know and I’ll see that she gets more. I was well into my work when Glen showed up with a sandwich and a cup of coffee. “I don’t know what you did but Marge is singing your praises.”

“I just gave her a fish. It’s funny what giving things to people will do.”

“I took the six fish to Stella and then went to see Jim. I opened the chest, when he saw the fish, he was on the phone, by the time he came back, I had a line of buyers. I hope Stella doesn’t find out, I don’t know where the next Jewish deli is.”

“You gave her fish, right?”

“Yes, those boxes are great. That fish was cold and I’d bet it would taste like it just came out of the sea.”

“Did you sell any to the fish market?”

“No, I didn’t have any after Jim called around.”

“So what did you sell them for?”

“I didn’t, Jim sold them for dollar fifty per pound and then gave them a ten percent discount since this was the first time.”

“I think that’s Jim’s sales technique. Give a discount and you think you’re getting a bargain.”

“Is that what he did to us?”

“No, he was on the level with us. I checked around for prices, the chests were his price. I wonder what his next move will be.”

“Want to take a guess?”

“My guess would be he’ll ask you to deliver the fish as soon as we arrive, then he’ll take all of the fish. When customers come thinking you’d be there, he’ll sell it to them.”

“Maybe you should buy the business.”

“No, I’ll let you in on a little secret. I expect to work this job for the next ten years and then I’m going to retire.”

“Can you afford to retire?”

“Sure with my portfolio and you working I don’t see why I can’t.”

“Get something straight, you don’t retire until I do.”

“Okay, we’ll both retire in ten years.”

     

Glen left and I got back to work. I forgot the time and Glen came to get me. “You know you could just call me.”

“No, I like this face to face its so much better.”

On the ride home, “What do we do with this money?”

“We’ll put it in the miscellaneous fund.”

“We have a miscellaneous fund?”

“We do now.” When we pulled into the garage, “There are some good smells coming from the house.”

“Yes, let’s change quickly so we can eat. I’m really hungry.”

“Smells good boys. What do you say Glen, shall we keep them?”

“Who took the boys home?”

“Who says they are home?” Just then Charles came up from the rec room. I got a hug and so did Glen.

“Didn’t you have school today?”

“No, teachers work day. I think they spend the day marking report cards.”

“Good, but you do have school tomorrow?” The answer was a nod of the head.

“When is school over?”

“This week is the last week.”

Dinner was great or was it just that we hadn’t had a home cooked meal for a long time. “Nicky, how was the driving lesson?”

“He gave me a book I have to study. He said Friday he’ll take me to get my learners permit.”

“You have to be back in time for the boat.”

“I have his phone number, I’ll check and see if we can go on Monday instead.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I haven't been commenting after each chapter, so it seemed like time to tell you again how much I am enjoying these characters and their story! I get excited every time I see a new chapter has posted! Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I've binge-read Scuffy so far and it's been good. Nice short chapters make it easy to read. (not to mention easier to write and post with quick editing).

However, (Spidey / Editor's sense tingling),  I'm not generally fond of foreshadowing especially when it's a trail of crumbs Hansel und Gretel couldn't miss if they tried:

• Gram in good health but getting paperwork prepped for guardianship;

• winches squealing / straining under loads (multiple chapters);

• New 'deck boots' to prevent Peter and Charles (and others) from sliding overboard; By the Way, no mention of at least the four/five 'kids' being reminded every time they get on board to put on their PFD. USCG-approved and required self-inflating PFDs are NOT bulky at all, feels like a safety vest. FYI 95% of all boating fatalities, including commercial fishing boats did not use PFDs!

• Bad maintenance records including engine;

• Winches lifting floorboards;

• (not specifically mentioned) Old maritime tradition / superstition, 'renaming ships mid-season is bad luck. 'the Peter-Charles' is a great name, but...

Please DON'T create a Perfect Storm! It would spoil your well earned good rep (IMHO).

Stay Safe & Well - everybody (including the good crew of PC)

Tony

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

I haven't been commenting after each chapter, so it seemed like time to tell you again how much I am enjoying these characters and their story! I get excited every time I see a new chapter has posted! Thanks.

Thanks for your comments.  They are encouraging and I'm glad you are reading my story.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

I've binge-read Scuffy so far and it's been good. Nice short chapters make it easy to read. (not to mention easier to write and post with quick editing).

However, (Spidey / Editor's sense tingling),  I'm not generally fond of foreshadowing especially when it's a trail of crumbs Hansel und Gretel couldn't miss if they tried:

• Gram in good health but getting paperwork prepped for guardianship;

• winches squealing / straining under loads (multiple chapters);

• New 'deck boots' to prevent Peter and Charles (and others) from sliding overboard;

• Bad maintenance records including engine;

• Winches lifting floorboards;

• (not specifically mentioned) Old maritime tradition / superstition, 'renaming ships mid-season is bad luck. 'the Peter-Charles' is a great name, but...

Please DON'T create a Perfect Storm! It would spoil your well earned good rep (IMHO).

Stay Safe & Well - everybody (including the good crew of PC)

Tony

Don't get far too  ahead. PC is not the name of the boat and the condition of the boat will become clearer in future chapters.

the Duffy is an old boat, it was old when Uncle bought it and that was several years ago. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, JeffreyL said:

I haven't been commenting after each chapter, so it seemed like time to tell you again how much I am enjoying these characters and their story! I get excited every time I see a new chapter has posted! Thanks.

Your welcome. I appreciate your comments

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Great chapter, so it seems that they are expanding the delivery of the fish, I hope that the boat is not going to be too expensive to repair

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great Story loving it ... From my limited boat owning experience ( Narrow Boat on the U.K. Canal system) ALL boats are expensive to repair and maintain!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, peterattheloft said:

Great Story loving it ... From my limited boat owning experience ( Narrow Boat on the U.K. Canal system) ALL boats are expensive to repair and maintain!!!

You are right. In all of the time I have been in England, I never took the opportunity to take a canal ride. Now I wished I had.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Read my story "William" on Awesome Dude I write under name of Paul Jamison... Enjoy the trip!!

P

Edited by peterattheloft
  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, peterattheloft said:

Read my story "William" on Awesome Dude I write under name of Paul Jamison... Enjoy the trip!!

P

I read that story a while back. The canal ride in the canal boat was interesting. I would have like to have done that when I was in England. I think the idea of having a Pub close to the canal was a brilliant business decision. Thanks for reminding me of that story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..