Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 834 Words
  • 2,148 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

the Scuffy - 10. Chapter 10

Scrubbed clean, we raided the refrigerator. “I think we should get dressed, Nicky I have sweats for you if you want.” Dressed, we looked like we stopped at Good Will, flip-flops, sweats and T-shirts. “Nicky, take two of the large plastic bags and filled them with popcorn. Here is a stapler to close them.”

“Let’s make sandwiches, and if we’re lucky, your mom and dad haven’t eaten yet.”

He laughed as Nicky came upstairs with a glass of beer. “Nicky, if you don’t need the scooter tomorrow, leave it, and I’ll bring it over after work. Let’s go, guys.”

Driving to Glen’s parents, I gave Glen a hundred fifty dollars. He gave it back. “Give it to Nicky. He earned it today.”

Arriving at Glen’s parents, “We’re on time. It smells like Dad is getting ready to barbecue.”

I opened the ice chest, putting plastic bags on my hands. I took out four fish. We walked around the back, “Look, Glen, we timed it just right. You said if we got here at this time, they would feed us.”

“Ann, do we still have those hotdogs that we grilled last week? We have company.”

Glen’s mother came out. She hugged Glen. Then she looked at me, and I smiled, then she hugged me also. “We brought you Sunday dinner.” I gave her the four fish.

“Glen, I told you we’d have fish for supper. My boys never let me down.” She took the fish, and it seemed within seconds, she came out with aluminum packets.

Glen’s dad looked at the three of us and started to laugh. I wondered what he was laughing at until I looked at the three of us standing in a line, wearing the same clothing type and colors as well.

Nicky went into the house, and we could hear him. “They let me steer the boat, Kevin said I did a good job. I think he likes me. He’s going to let me have a party at his house. Look, he paid me.” Then it got quiet. “Mom, look at what he paid me. I think this is a mistake.”

“If you think that is the wrong amount, ask Glen he’ll know.”

“Glen, can I see you for a moment.”

“What’s the matter? If you need the scooter, I’ll bring it over later tonight.”

“No, I think Kevin paid me too much. You said he pays the inexperienced help fifty dollars. He paid me one hundred fifty.”

“That’s right. He pays one hundred fifty to workers that do a full share.”

“But, I’m still learning.”

“Let’s look at what you did. You piloted the boat, helped with the nets, and you even dropped the anchor one time. You helped to unload the fish. I’d say you did a full crew job. The money is right.”

Nicky hugged Glen, “You’re hugging the wrong guy.”

Nicky looked at Glen, “I’ll be uncomfortable hugging him, maybe a thank you would be okay.”

I watched Nicky approach Kevin. He said something, held out his hand for a handshake, Kevin saw the hand, took it, and pulled him into a hug. I laughed because I knew Kevin would do that.

“What are you laughing about?”

“I told Nicky to hug Kevin since Kevin gave him full pay. Nicky said he'd feel uncomfortable doing that. Nicky put out his hand to shake. Kevin grabbed it and pulled him into a hug.”

“Kevin is a nice guy. Do you like him?”

“Yes, very much, he asked me to marry him.”

“What did you say?”

“I told him no, I wasn’t ready to make that commitment.”

“Do you know what is holding you back? I think he’s a good man, and you can tell he’s in love with you.”

“He said he’ll wait for me. I’m not sure what it will take for me to get over this fear that I don’t understand, but I’ll wait till I get a sign.”

We didn’t have grilled fish but hamburgers instead. “If you want grilled fish, you’ll have to come back tomorrow.”

“Kevin, do you have extra fish?”

“Yes, why?”

“I’d like to give one to my neighbor. She’s a widow, and it would be appreciated.”

“Glen, get one of the fish for your mom.” He came back with two. I knew we had more, and one fish was enough for the two of us.

After dinner I told Glen we had to leave, I had another stop to make. Saying goodbye, hugs all around, “Don’t forget grilled fish next week.”

I stopped at the Wharf and gave Mary the extra fish, keeping one for Glen and I. I saw Uncle at his table holding court, “Captain, Mary has your dinner when you are ready, have fun.”

“Barney, what’s his tab?” I handed him a check for the tab, “Marie has dinner for you and him. I think Uncle is slowing down or we are early, his tab is about eighty percent of what I usually pay.”

Copyright © 2020 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..