Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 1,754 Words
  • 1,458 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcrossed - 12. Chapter 12

“See, that wasn’t so bad.” said Billy with a smile.

“No, it wasn’t bad at all.”

They called my number from the receipt and I went and fetched out food. We both dug into our burgers as if we hadn’t eaten in days. That’s actually what it felt like, when I wasn’t thinking of Billy of course, which wasn’t very often since I think about him almost every second.

“So, do you know anything about your dad other than he’s in the hospital?” I asked. “Do you know his condition or what happened to him?”

“Well, my aunt said that he was in pretty bad shape and that he was apparently he was an a single car accident.”

“How does that happen?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe it was raining while he was driving and he lost control of his car or something.”

“He’s gonna be okay, Billy. I just know it.”

“I hope so. He’s the only family I’ve got besides my aunt and her family.”

“How long do you think we’ll be in Chicago?” I asked.

“Well, you don’t have to stay. You can just go back home tonight or something. I’m gonna stay with my aunt, though.”

“But…I wanna stay with you.” I said before eating my last French fry.

“That’s sweet Ryan, but your grades can’t afford you staying with me in Chicago. I don’t know how long I’m gonna be there.”

“What about your grades?”

“I’ll just go to summer school.” said Billy.

“Then I’ll do the same.”

“You can’t. What about baseball.”

“Ahh! I couldn’t give a shit about baseball! It’s you who I care about.”

“No, I’m gonna let you do it.”

“Why don’t you just come back with me tonight? That way, we can even perform in the play this weekend.”

“I don’t know. I want to stay with my dad.”

“How about you see how he’s doing and then you decide?”

“That sounds reasonable to me.” said Billy

He smiled and I put my hand on top of his. It felt so good to be with him. I didn’t want to ever be apart from him, but…then I again I knew how unrealistic that was.

“We should get going.” I said.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

Once we got to the Chicago hospital, I met Billy’s aunt Tara, her husband Larry, and Billy’s cousin Jared who looked to be in his mid twenties. They were surprisingly nice to me. I know if that were my family, they would NOT treat Billy this nice.

I let Billy go in and see his father by himself. I sat in the lobby with his aunt Tara and her family. It was awkward for a while, but Larry, Tara’s husband, broke the ice.

“So…how long have you known Billy.”

“Well…I’ve known him since the start of high school, but…we just start to, ah…be friends in this past semester of school.”

“So, you’re only friends?” asked Tara.

“Well, actually…it‘s sort of complicated.”

“I see.” said Tara.

“It was nice of you to come with him.” said Larry.

“Well, I was really his only option, but I would’ve come with him anyway.” I said.

Billy came out of the hospital room with tears in his eyes. I immediately got up from my chair and walked over to him. He wrapped his arms around me and buried his head into my shoulder and I squeezed tightly on his waist.

I hated seeing him like this. I wish I could just make it all better. All I could do was hold him and knowing that that wasn’t enough was killing me. I felt my own tears start to fall from my eyes.

“How is he?”

This was all I could ask. I felt stupid asking it. Of course his father isn’t okay. He’s in the hospital.

“He’s as good as to be expected, I guess. He’s barely conscious. I just thought he needed to rest.”

“You’re right.” said Tara. “He does.”

“I just don’t like seeing him like that.” said Billy.

“Are you okay? Do you need something?” I asked, looking him over.

“Just…just hold me.”

I held Billy tight to my chest. I kissed him on the cheek and tasted the salt of his tears on my lips.

“Look, you guys must be exhausted. Why don’t we go home and relax?” asked Tara.

“Relax!” yelled Billy as he stormed out of my arms. “How am I supposed to relax with my father in there?”

“Billy, she’s just trying to help.” I tried to calm him down.

“Well, she’s not.” said Billy.

“She’s right, though Billy.” I said. “You just need to sit down and relax for a while. You said yourself that your dad needs rest.”

“But, what if he needs me?” asked Billy.

“Then the hospital will call.” I said, taking Billy’s hand. “Just tell them where they can reach you and…and they’ll call you if he needs you.”

I felt Billy’s pulse slow down a bit as he let out a clean breath of relief.

“I’m sorry aunt Tara. I’m just worried about my dad, ya know?”

“Of course. I understand. I’m worried too.” said Tara.

Ryan and I followed Tara in my truck to her house. It was a nice middle class house, much like the my house and Billy’s house.

“So, do you think I’ll need to stay here tonight, Tara?” asked Billy.

“Well, I don’t think that you should go back home tonight, but I do think that you should go home tomorrow. We can take good care of your dad here. You need to go to school.”

“Well, if you’re sure.”

“I am.” said Tara.

“Well, I guess it’s a good thing that we don’t go into school until ten o’ clock then.” said Billy.

“Look, there isn’t really room for the both of you here, but…you can stay over at Jared’s apartment.” said Tara.

“Yeah, I got couch bed.” said Jared.

“Cool.” said Billy with a smile

“Are you guys hungry? I can make some food.” said Tara.

“Um…I’m not.” Billy looked to me. “Are you hungry?”

“No, I’m fine.” I answer quietly.

I felt a bit awkward in their house. They were nice people, but I just felt like I didn’t belong. I don’t know why.

Billy and I sat on their couch and all of the feelings in the room turned to awkwardness.

“So, how long have you two, ah…been together?” asked Tara.

Billy looked at me with a worried face. He didn’t know what to say, so I spoke for him.

“It’s a bit complicated.” I said.

“Yeah…” said Billy.

“Well, we were friends first and then…we just sort of turned into more.” I said.

The conversation was choppy and uncomfortable, but Jared decided to save us by saying he was ready to leave. I will be forever grateful to him for that and I’m sure Billy will be as well.

We said goodbye to Tara and Larry and we followed Jared to his apartment. Would this be as awkward as the house. I certainly hope not.

* * *

“Sorry about my mom. She’s always been like that. She’s always asking me all sorts of questions about my friends and girlfriends and stuff.” said Jared as we walked into his place.

“I think it runs in the family.” said Billy. “My dad does the same thing.”

“Yeah, just…just make yourselves at home. Uh, I gotta do some homework so I’ll be in my room. My girlfriend Karen lives here too, but…she’s in Florida visiting her grandmother.”

Jared went to the kitchen and started going through the fridge. He took a swig of milk from a half gallon carton.

He demonstrated on how to unfold the couch bed. There were already blankets and sheets on it. He brought out pillows from the linen closet and put them on the couch.

“Feel free to grab anything from the kitchen and if you need anything else, just holler. Oh, and you can watch TV if you want.”

He grabbed the TV remote control and turned on the television. I was just glad it wasn’t awkward. I felt more comfortable there.

Billy and I sat on the couch and he rested his head on my shoulder. I took his hand and weaved my fingers with his.

“I love you Billy.” I whispered.

“I love you.” he whispered back.

I’d never felt as much satisfaction as in that moment. I wanted to run in the streets yelling “HE LOVES ME! HE LOVES ME!” I settled for kissing the top of his head.

“Are you sleepy? Do you wanna go to bed?”

“Yeah, I’m kinda beat. But it’s a little early. Do you think we can just stay like this?”

“Whatever you want.” I said.

We spent the next few hours just changing through the channels, watching random movies, and reality shows. The lights were off around us and the light of the television glowed on our faces. I started to feel my eyes drooping. I looked to my shoulder and Billy was already asleep. I carefully tapped him awake. He stretched and got up from the couch. I got up and unfolded the bed. The both of us took off our shoes and got into the bed. It was actually pretty comfortable for a couch bed.

We lay facing the same direction, lying on our right side.

“Ryan…” Billy whispered.

“Yeah?”

“My dad’s going to be alright, isn’t he?”

“Well, I’m not a doctor Billy, but…I have faith that he’ll be okay.”

He turned on his left side and his face was just a few inches from mine. He smiled at me and brought his hand up to gently touch my face. His hand felt so warm on my cold face.

“You know, I’ve wanted this since the moment I saw you.” he paused. “You are so beautiful, Ryan.”

I felt myself blush. To hear him tell me that felt so good. Billy is so beautiful to me and to know that he feels the same about me was amazing.

He turned back around and rested his body against mine. I put my arm over him and he took my hand and pulled my arm tighter around him. I love him.

* * *

In the morning, we were woken up by Jared making breakfast. He offered us some, but we both agreed that we would just get some on the way back home. We had just enough time to get home and get to school.

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..