Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 2,229 Words
  • 1,534 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcrossed - 5. Chapter 5

I walked into school Monday morning and walked straight to the entrance of the theater. I saw Ryan when I approached. He walked walking to the theater from the opposite side. We both reached the door at the same time.

“Well, here’s the moment of truth.” said Ryan.

“Yeah, good luck.” I said.

“Good luck to you too.” said Ryan.

We looked at the cast list of the play that was posted on the door. At the top was my name. I was cast as Romeo. Below my name was Ryan’s. He was cast as Juliet. Kevin walked up to us, excited. He looked to his name. He was cast as Mercutio.

Kevin and I celebrated together. But I looked at Ryan, and all he could do was stare at his named next to the character Juliet.

“Are you okay, Ryan?” I asked.

Ryan didn’t answer.

“Ryan…”

Ryan snapped his head my way.

“Y-Yeah…” he said, stuttering a little.

“Look, it’s just a play. It’s not like we’re gonna have to actually kiss, remember?”

Ryan smiled and laughed under his breath a little. “Right.”

“Look, since we’re playing opposites, we should start going over lines soon.” I said. “Shakespeare can be really complicated and difficult to memorize.”

“Right, so…your place or mine?” asked Ryan.

“Oh, um…whatever’s best for you, I guess.”

“We can come to my house.”

“Cool, well…see you in history.” I said.

Kevin and I walked down the hall. Ryan walked the opposite way.

“So…what’s up with you and Ryan?

“Nothing…nothing. We’re just friends.”

Kevin looked at me skeptically. “Are you sure that’s a good idea?”

“Look, I told you we’re just friends.”

“You don’t want to be friends with someone you’ve had a crush on since the moment you saw them.”

“I know what I’m doing okay. I’ve got it all under control.”

Kevin shook his head as we walked to the cafeteria to get breakfast; powered eggs, bacon, and what seemed to be some sort of potato product. Whatever it was, it was actually pretty good…not. Yuck!

“So, tell me more about Ryan.” said Kevin.

I sighed. This guy does not give up.

“Kevin, there’s nothing to tell. Ryan and I have just started to be friends. We have a couple things in common. That’s it.”

“So, what’s it like befriending the hottest guy in school?”

“Kevin, this is a school of two thousand guys. I doubt Ryan Harding is the hottest out of all of them.”

Kevin smiled. “Okay then, what’s it like befriending the guy you think is the hottest in school?”

I smiled back at Kevin. “Okay, maybe I do think that Ryan is the hottest guy in school, but that doesn’t mean that I’m pining over him every second of my life. He’s a good guy and he’s been a pretty good friend so far.”

“Okay, here’s another question you might not want to hear.” said Kevin.

I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the probability that I wasn’t going to like that question.

“What makes you think he’s not…tricking you or something?”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I mean, what if it’s like Carrie or something?” asked Kevin. “What if he’s befriending you just so he and his friends can kick the shit out of you or something?”

“You don’t know him. He’s not like that.”

“Are you sure?”

It frustrated me that he would even suggest this. He doesn’t know, Ryan. He’s not there when Ryan defends me. He’s not there when Ryan talks to me.

Ugh, listen to me. You’d think I was in love with him.

Am I?

No, I can’t be in love with Ryan. It’s only been a week since we started to hang out. This is impossible. This is bad…very, very bad. I…I can’t handle this.

I got up and walked away from Kevin. I walked into the bathroom and sat into a stall. I wanted to cry, but knew that I couldn’t. I knew Kevin wouldn’t follow me. He never does. But, I couldn’t risk someone coming in and hearing me.

Tears started to flow anyway. I couldn’t help it. It was the worst possible thing for me to ever fall in love with Ryan Harding. I tried to be as silent as I could as I cried. I only let out an occasional sniffle.

When I pulled myself together, I walked out of the stall. I walked to the sink and looked at myself in the scratched and stained mirror. I wiped my tears and got a paper towel to wipe my running nose. As soon as I left the bathroom, I bumped right into Ryan. The bump almost knocked me down.

“Oh, sorry.” I said, with my head down.

“It’s cool-have, have you been crying?”

“N-No, of course not…”

I tried to put my head down further, trying to not let Ryan see my face. It wasn’t working. He actually touched my face to pull it up and see my eyes.

“You’re lying to me. I thought we were better friends than that.” said Ryan.

“It’s no big deal.” I said, wiping my face.

“What happened?”

“Can…Can you just leave it alone…Please?”

Ryan sighed. “It’s gonna be tough, but okay.”

The bell rang for the first class of the day.

“I’ll see you later.” said Ryan.

“Yeah…later.” I said.

* * *

On the desks of the guys who had parts in the play was a Romeo and Juliet book. Mrs. Drake had put them their for our use.

“Since some of our major characters aren’t in our class, we won’t be doing any extra rehearsing in this class, but we will be using these books as scripts so treat them well.” said Mrs. Drake.

I was glad that the groans were over. The guys had gotten used to the fact that the senior play was Romeo and Juliet. At the beginning of the week, the mere mention on Romeo and Juliet would send the sound of groans and giggles throughout the classroom.

After this, English went on as usual. She taught us about essays and writing. We read from the text and did a reader’s analysis.

I left the classroom when the bell rang and met with Kevin as usual, except this time, Ryan was a few feet down the hall. He looked as if he was waiting for me.

“You look better.” said Ryan.

“Y-Yeah, I’m better.” I said.

“Is there something that I’m missing here?” asked Kevin.

“I would say, but I promised to forget about it.” said Ryan.

“Oh-kay…” said Kevin in a suspicious tone.

He smiled at me and I gave him the ‘don’t do that’ look. The three of us walked to history class were are desks were three in a row. It was kind of weird, but I started to get used to Ryan being around. I know it’s wrong, but I can’t help it. He’s just one of those guys. He’s an all around nice guy. Ryan, with his bright smile, ocean blue eyes, and dark brown hair. He was started to let it grow out a little, so it made him look even more sexy.

I had to stop liking this kid so much. I’ll only end up heart broken in the end. But there’s no way to stay away from him. I promised to tutor him and I can’t go back on my promise. Also, we’re playing Romeo and Juliet. This is something in which I can tell if it’s ironic or cruel or both. I hate my life.

* * *

Putting my bike in the back of his truck, Ryan drove us to his house after school. He introduced me to his mother who, I have to say, is probably the most beautiful woman that I’ve ever seen. She has flowing brown hair and was and these dark caramel colored eyes.

“Aren’t you a handsome guy?” she asked when she saw me.

I blushed and put my head down in embarrassment.

“Mom,” Ryan sighed.

“What? I can’t compliment your friends?”

“Not like that. It’s weird.” Ryan complained.

“Sorry. So are you guys going to study?” asked Mrs. Harding.

“Actually, we’re to start memorizing our lines for the play.” said Ryan.

“Oh! What part did you get?” she asked curiously.

Ryan mumbled “Juliet” under his breath. He was obviously embarrassed.

“What?” asked Mrs. Harding.

“I got Juliet.” said Ryan with his head down.

“Oh, come on. That’s a great part. The most important part of the play.” said Mrs. Harding. “Who did you get, Billy?”

“I’m playing Romeo.” I said proudly.

“Good for you two.”

The sizzling sound of water touching flame emerged from the kitchen.

“Oh, the potatoes!” Mrs. Harding ran into the kitchen. “Are you staying for dinner Billy?!” she called from the kitchen.

“Yes please!” I hollered so she could hear.

“Great! It’ll be up in no time! You two go memorize those lines!”

Ryan patted me on the back. “Let’s go,” he said.

We walked into his room and it was like walking into a typical straight guy’s room. He had sports trophies and posters; Red Sox, Packers and Fliers. There were dirty clothes sprinkled throughout the navy blue carpeted room. It wasn’t completely covered, only here and there. A tall hamper stood in the corner, half filled with a pair of boxer-briefs hanging from the side.

“Sorry. It’s a little messy.” said Ryan, picking things up here and there.

“It’s cool.” I said.

I liked it how it was. It was him. It told me a lot about him. The room also smelled of him. It was a light musty scent mixed with cologne and sweat. I know that doesn’t sound very appealing, but, to me, it was like roses.

“Um, I only have one chair. Do you want the chair or the bed?” he asked.

“I’m good on the bed, I guess.”

I said this because I was already standing by the bed and he was already by the desk. I really wasn’t comfortable at all sitting on his bed. You see, the room was a bit small. If we switched positions, we would’ve gotten too close for my comfort.

Ryan’s bed was soft and very comfortable. I set down my bag on the floor and suddenly, Ryan popped up.

“Oh, I forgot to let Bandit in.” he said.

He left the room for a few seconds, but when he came back in, it was following a cute little Jack-Russell Terrier puppy that immediately started jump and wag it’s tail at me.

“This little guy is Bandit.” said Ryan.

“Hey bandit.” I said, rubbing the back of the puppy’s head.

The puppy panted and slinked towards Ryan.

“Go on boy.” said Ryan, lightly pushing him off. “We’re trying to work.”

The puppy obediently left the room and Ryan closed the door behind him.

“Okay, were do we start?” asked Ryan.

“Well, Romeo and Juliet aren’t on stage together until the party. So, let’s start there.” I said.

“Do you know this play?” asked Ryan.

“I’ve read it a few times. And I’ve watched the movie.” I said.

“The one with Leonardo DiCaprio?” he asked.

I laughed. “Yeah, he’s hot. Or at least back then he was.”

Ryan laughed and shook his head. “Okay, let’s start.”

I started with my first line of speaking to Ryan’s character. “If I profane with my unworthiest hand. This holy shrine, the gentle sin is this: My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.”

We went on through the scenes in which we have lines together, which, for the main couple in the play, isn’t much. It was wonderful to spend time with Ryan.

* * *

I rode my bike home from Ryan’s house. He insisted on driving me, but I refused. He’s really stubborn, but it’s kind of cute at the same time.

When I got home, my dad was waiting for me in the living room.

“Where’ve you been?” he asked.

Crap! I forgot to tell him I was going to Ryan’s.

“Damn it!” I cursed. “Sorry. I was at Ryan’s rehearsing lines.”

“I’d appreciate a call next time. I’d also appreciate it if you kept your cell phone on.”

“Sorry, I didn’t want to be interrupted.”

I started to walk down the hall, then he did it again.

“You’ve been spending a lot of time with Ryan.” said dad.

I walked back to the living room. “Yeah, he’s a good friend.”

“Is he just a friend?”

I sighed. Why is my dad always trying to push me into the arms of my friends? Can’t he be like a regular father and be totally grossed out by the fact that his son is gay?

“Yes, dad. He’s just a friend.”

“Okay,” he said with a smile. “I just got this vibe between the two of you when he was here.”

“Well, like I said, there’s nothing going on between me and Ryan. We’re just friends.” I said.

“He’s a nice kid.” said dad, in that way that mothers usually do when they try to set up their sons with girls.

“Dad, he’s not even gay. I don’t think it’s going to happen.” I told him.

“Oh…”

“I’m going to go do homework now.”

“You do that.” said my dad in a bit of a monotone.

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..