Jump to content
    Dans La Nuit
  • Author
  • 1,736 Words
  • 1,480 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Starcrossed - 7. Chapter 7

After play rehearsal, I drove to Tommy’s house. I knew he would be home alone. His father doesn’t get home from work until late at night.

Hearing Billy tell me that Tommy was responsible for that huge bruise on his head was like nothing I’ve ever felt. I don’t think I’ve ever been so angry in my life.

I parked my truck in front of his house. Tommy’s car was resting in the driveway. I contemplated what I was about to do and if it was a good idea. I am beyond angry about what happened to Billy, but I could get into a lot of trouble for what I really, really wanted to do; which was pound Tommy’s face in until he couldn’t see anymore.

I calmed myself down before I left. I didn’t want to hurt Tommy…much.

I walked up to his door and knocked as calmly as I could, even though I felt like I was about to pop a vein. Tommy opened the door and in a split second I was in the house and had him by his neck up against the wall.

“What the fuck, Harding?” he asked, trying to push himself out of my grip. Of course I didn’t let him.

“You listen good, Tommy. You need to leave Billy alone because if you don’t, I’ll be your worst nightmare.”

I left my grip on him as he opened his mouth to speak.

“You’d better stop doing this, Harding. People are starting to talk about you, you know.”

“I don’t care. They can say what they want. I know what’s true. You don’t need to worry about that. It’s me you need to worry about.”

“I’m not scared of you, Harding. You’re weak. You’re a week fag-lover.”

I took my right fist and shoved it across his cheek as hard as he could. Tommy fell to the floor with a big thud and I walked out of the house and back to my truck. I started it and drive away. I looked at my knuckles and they were bloody, but it wasn’t my blood. I wiped it off. It was Tommy’s blood.

When I got home, my mom wasn’t home. She had a doctor’s appointment and she must’ve still been there. I got a towel from the counter of the kitchen and packed it with ice and put it on my knuckles. It was getting sore and sort of unbearable. My mom walked in and saw me sitting at the table with ice on my fist.

“What happened? Did you get into a fight?” She asked sitting next to me at the table.

“Sort of.” I said.

“You can’t sort of get into a fight.”

“I punched Tommy.”

“Why would you do that? I thought he was your best friend?”

“That ass isn’t my best friend.”

“Don’t use that language.” She said smacking the back of my head.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think I’ve ever been as pissed off at anyone as I am at Tommy right now.”

“What happened?”

“He bullies Billy. Today, Billy came in play rehearsal with a big bruise on his face. It was even bleeding.”

“Why is he bullying Billy?”

Oh no. Is this the moment? Should I tell her? It’s not even my business to tell.

“Billy is just different and he tends to get picked on a lot.” I said. “And it really get me angry when people do that.”

“What did you do, Honey? Did you hit Tommy?”

“Yeah…” she looked at me disappointed. “I’m sorry. I just couldn’t let him do that to Billy.”

“It’s nice that you stick up for your friend, but you shouldn’t have to resort to violence. Next time, just tell the dean.”

I laughed. Like the dean would do anything.

“The dean won’t do anything, mom.”

“Why not? That’s his job.”

“Billy has been getting picked on since sophomore year. He’s never done anything about it.”

“Ryan, you’re not making any sense. Why would the deal allow something like this?”

“Can I just go to my room mom?”

“No”

“But-”

“No! What’s going on?”

I guess I’ll have to tell her. Sorry Billy.

“Billy’s gay and the entire school is in one big homophobic bubble.”

My mom’s eyes went into shock mode.

“Mom, are you okay?” I asked.

“Billy’s gay?”

“Yeah, what’s the big deal?”

“It’s nothing. It’s not a big deal, but…you’ve, you’ve been spending a lot of time with him lately.”

“Mom, he’s tutoring me, we’re playing opposites in a play…and, and he’s my best friend.”

Mom sighed and put a hand through her brown hair. She started to look around the kitchen, probably trying to think of something to say.

“You’d tell me if he was more than, than just a friend right?”

“Mom! I’m-I’m not gay!”

“I’m just saying…if-if he was more than a friend to you, I’d understand.”

“I’m leaving.”

I couldn’t believe that she suggested that Billy could be more than just a friend to me. It was absolutely preposterous. Wasn’t it?

* * *

When I walked into school the next day, I walked over to where I usually spot Billy in he morning. But I stopped in my tracks when I saw him talking and laughing with Noah Carey. That’s when I realized that he’s probably way better off without me. That’s when I realized that he was right.

Noah could be a way better friend to Billy than I ever could. Noah would never get Billy beat up. Noah could never hurt Billy like I could.

Noah and Billy laughed together and smiled and their hands touched. A feeling went through me that I’ve never felt before. I had to turn around and leave as fast as I could. How would I face Billy now? What would I say to him?

I couldn’t stay in school. I ran out of there as fast as I could. I got into my truck and drove away. I went to the lake. I don’t know why. I just went there. It was the first place I’ve ever spent any time with Billy. I have to say that I will miss being Billy’s friend. I know that it won’t be goodbye. We go to the same school, but I have to admit that in these two weeks, I’ve gotten used to having Billy around.

I fell asleep under a tree by the shore of the lake. It was the tree that Billy and I sat under. I woke up to someone tapping my shoulder. I looked up and Kendra was sitting over me.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” she asked.

“I couldn’t stay there.” I said, stretching and sitting up. “What about you?”

“I got my GED when I was fifteen.”

“Whoa, impressive.”

She smiled and started to twirl her hair.

“So, why’d you come here? Why didn’t you just go home?” asked Kendra.

“I don’t know. I left school and this is just kind of where I ended up.”

“You feel like some company?”

“Sure, actually…um, I, ah…wanted to ask you something.”

“What is it?”

“I-I was wondering if, if you would like to, to go on a date with me.”

She looked at me not in the way that I expected. Her eyes were wide open and so was her mouth. She seemed to be shocked.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Y-Yeah, I ah…I’m just a bit shocked.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Well, I thought…you and Billy…um…”

“Oh no! Me and Billy are just friends.”

Why does everyone think that there’s something going on between Billy and me. Billy told me that even his dad thought that we were an item.

Kendra’s smile turned into an embarrassed one. I smiled back at her.

“So, will you…go on a date with me?” I asked again.

“I don’t know if it’s a good idea.”

“Why not?” I asked.

“Billy…”

I sighed. “I was afraid you’d say that.”

“Look, Billy really likes you and I know that he told you because he tells me everything.”

I put my head down. Now I was the one that was embarrassed.

“Yeah, he did tell me that he likes me. But…I don’t get what that has to do with us.”

“I can’t go out with you. I’m Billy’s best friend. He would never forgive me.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. If you’re as best of friends as you say, then he’d definitely forgive you.”

“I know…I just don’t want to hurt him.”

“Trust me, I don’t think you’d be hurting anyone.”

“Why would you say that?”

“I think he’s going out with someone.”

“What? How is this the first time I’m hearing of this.”

I cleared my throat. “Yeah, um, this guy Noah. I saw them laughing together at school this morning.”

She stared at me. I could tell she wanted to say something, but couldn’t.

“What?” I asked. “Say it.”

She took a deep breath. “Was that when you left? When you saw Billy laughing with this Noah, guy?”

I rolled my eyes. “No…”

“Tell you what…you admit that you left because you say Billy with Noah and I’ll go on a date with you.”

“Ugh!! Okay, okay…I left because…because when I saw them, I realized that Billy doesn’t need me as a friend. All I do is bring him trouble. I was bummed, so I left.”

“Come on. Everyone needs friends and from what Billy’s told me, even you do.”

“I just don’t want to complicate Billy’s life.”

“That’s sweet of you, but shouldn’t this be Billy’s decision.”

“He already made the decision to stop being my friend. I didn’t let him because I was being selfish. I was putting my needs before his.”

“So you admit that you need a friend?”

“Why don’t you just be my friend.”

“It’s not that simple. Look, if I’m your one and only friend, Billy is still going to be in your life. That boy is like a brother to me.”

“Okay, obviously there’s no way around me being Billy’s friend.”

Kendra smiled. “It’s like fate.”

When she said this, it made me think. What if it was fate? Who am I to mess with fate? I don’t think I wanna know what happens if you try. I should just accept that Billy and I are friends and that may cause some unhappiness, but who cares. A friendship is a beautiful thing.

Copyright © 2011 Dans La Nuit; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..