Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 3,244 Words
  • 6,469 Views
  • 82 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sidewinder - 2. Chapter 2 Fool's Gold

Proverbs 18:24
One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

                                                                                                                                                                                     *****

Fool's Gold

 

Daylight's arrival found Boone wide awake. He hadn’t slept much at all, and the hard floor wasn’t the only reason for it. His stubborn mind had refused to empty, all caught up in the decision he didn’t want to make. Listening to steady breathing from the bed above, he thought more on what he was going to do with his life now that Will could no longer lead his brother astray.

He didn’t have to concern himself as much with his friend getting beat up, robbed, or shot dead—but there’d been safety in having each other’s back. Boone would surely fret once he left, unless Coy smartened up and took his own trail out of Red Bluff.

Two different times, men had come looking for Will while he was alive, angry men looking to settle scores. For Coy’s sake, and the man’s too, he’d drawn his gun on one of them as a way to convince him he couldn’t stick around and wait. Will was hiding somewhere close at the time, having spotted the rider coming, and Boone didn’t put nothing past him.

To this very day, Boone had no idea what happened to either of them after they left the camp in search of their target, but he did know Will had tried and failed to convince his brother to help him ambush one of them. Boone had his suspicions he’d figured out a different way to do the deed—seeing as how he never saw either man again.

Coy had always showed a confusing need to believe his brother wasn’t bad. As clever as he was, he’d let that sidewinder control him… especially when Boone wasn’t close by. Will, for sure, had hated him, and even warned him to never touch his brother, but Boone was no slouch with a gun, faster than Will by far, and the man had been wary of that fact.

He’d threatened him, though, and called him things like sinful, unnatural… even immoral, but it never carried weight with Boone. Might be he was those things in others’ eyes, but he’d rather be hisself than a cold-hearted killer like Will Diamond had been.

Panning for gold, in an area other miners had given up on and moved on from, had worn Boone down. There’d never been much gold in these parts to begin with—just enough washing down river to keep fools hoping—and it hadn’t taken more than a few months to figure it out. But, he’d stayed because his friend needed him, and for the longest time, he couldn’t imagine being somewhere Coy wasn’t.

Sure, they’d found enough to cash in and keep their stake going, and they’d even managed to save their own little pile of gold, but they were never going to get rich. Boone could have made just as much working cattle for some big outfit and he wouldn’t have had to put up with wrinkly, waterlogged hands, wet feet, and ripped fingertips most every day. They’d been at it almost two years, and he was done. He’d never liked it in the first place, but at least they would each have enough to get a leg up on a new start somewhere else.

Coy had held onto dreams of a big strike, and they did have some good days where they could crow a little, but much of his share of the gold they’d eked out had gone to Will. The man never bought any supplies, and he’d bailed him out of jail too many times to count.

Nasty snake that he was when he was liquored up, Will usually ended up behind bars after causing damages of one sort or another. Mostly it was just tables or chairs, or windows, but once he’d shot a man’s horse dead just because he’d lost at cards. That had cost Coy seventy dollars, money he’d never gotten back from his brother.

Sighing, he sat up. Coy was on his back with his head turned towards him. Boone never felt guilty for staring at him when he was sleeping. He was prettier than any woman or horse he’d ever seen—and handsomer than any man he’d laid eyes on—and it was his only chance to look at him and not hide his feelings. He didn’t pine for him like he used to because he’d finally figured out it was never going to happen. He wanted someone made like he was, but that didn’t change the fact he loved the man deep as any well.

For near five years he’d loved him, and so many times he’d thought Coy might care more than he let on… but Boone had got it wrong… terrible wrong. Yep, it was past time to move on. He wasn’t sure he had enough gold stashed to buy any land outright, but he’d heard the government would accept payments over time, and there was only one way to find out the truth of it.

Some men had been talking at the general store a few weeks back when he was waiting for his supply order to be filled, and they’d mentioned cheap land available about four full weeks' ride to the northeast, up in higher country. It was too far north of the railway line to be valuable to most, and too hilly and wooded to be good for running herds of cattle, but one fella said there was lots and lots of water and the land was fertile enough if you were willing to clear it.

He’d engaged in friendly conversation with the men, and learned game too was plentiful, and Indians were no longer a big threat thereabouts. The man doing most of the talking had a brother-in-law who’d purchased sixty acres there and he was doing well enough to support his family… so he was considering joining him before prices went up. Apparently, the government kept raising the cost of land. It wasn’t the first time Boone had heard that, and it spurred him on.

So the information had been playing on his mind ever since. He’d also learned there was an official land agent in a town called Larkspur who dealt with the sale of the available properties. The only other thing he knew about the place was it had a bank. Must be a good-sized town if there was one of those.

It wouldn’t be an easy life, and if he did it, it would have to be soon so he could build a cabin before winter—but it would be a good one for a young man with a strong back and a strong will who’d never had a home of his own. Boone’s ma, a dancehall girl, had died of fever before his tenth birthday, and he’d fended for himself ever since.

It hadn’t been all that different from when his ma was alive—she had a good heart and he knew she’d loved him, but she weren’t real motherly. She worked every day of her life giving any man with a little money exactly what they wanted. That left no time for him, but he was fortunate the other ladies had taken a liking to him as a young’un.

He didn’t know who his father was, and his ma never said it, but he suspected she hadn’t known either. He’d asked her once if his pa had yellow hair and green eyes same as his since he looked nothing like her, but she’d just looked confused for a spell, and never did answer him.

Quietly he got up and pulled his boots on, staring out the window as he did. The small town was beginning to come alive, with a couple of hitched wagons already in the street. The doors to the livery were open, and so were the Mercantile’s.

It wasn’t full on daylight yet but it was close, and it promised to be another hot one. He didn’t care much for this town—it was always dusty and usually noisy, especially when the train arrived. He imagined living in a quieter place in higher elevation that saw snow in the winter months… a place where you weren’t always chewing grit. This Larkspur area sounded like heaven.

His gaze settled on the spot in the street where his friend Dan had lain, still alive enough to shoot Will as he turned his back on him. Bloody fool deserved to go that way after what he’d done. Boone had arrived only minutes after Wes’s son had taken his last breath.

Dan was made like him, and he hadn’t been shy about telling Boone what he wanted after they’d known each other a short time. Boone wasn’t surprised because he’d felt the heated looks the minute the man arrived back in camp… the place he’d pretty much grown up in. They’d been talking about Dan’s pa and Lee at the time, and how they’d managed to stay together for more than twenty years, being parents to him since he was about four.

If only he’d taken him up on his offer to start a life together somewhere else, they’d have been long gone from here and a good man would still be alive. He could have learned to love Dan in time, but the trouble was he couldn’t leave Coy to the life Will had planned for him.

Now, though, things had changed and he could go his own way. There might still be trouble from people Will had messed with, but Coy was smart, and the resemblance to his brother was slight. Anyways, he had to stop worrying about him. Boone hoped he would move on too, but he was a grown man who had to make his own decisions.

“Where you going?”

Boone turned from the window. “Just put my boots on and was about to rouse you. Time to head back to camp… make some breakfast, and I expect you could use some strong coffee. The livery might charge us more money for leaving the horses overnight.”

Coy stretched and blinked a few times as he stared at Boone. “Sorry.”

“For what?” he asked as he strapped his holster on.

“For getting skunk drunk.”

“Not the first time you did that and I’m sure it won’t be the last.”

“No, I guess not, but it’s not like I make a habit of it.” He swung his feet to the floor before grabbing his head. “A man never learns, does he?”

“Some do. Some don’t.”

Coy met his gaze speculatively. “What you said about Will… you sure?”

“You already asked me that. Told you the truth. We can head up to the ridge when we get back and you can see for yourself.”

Coy mumbled something as he reached down to the floor for his boots.

“What did you say?”

“I said it’s hard to believe he would shoot Wes and Lee.”

“For serious?” Boone asked with sudden disgust, and that got him a shamed look.

“No… I do believe it… I know how he….”

“How he what?”

Coy hung his head. “He had a lot of hate in him for sure, and I know he had no trouble taking what didn't belong to him… but why couldn’t he just let them be?”

“Because he was a killer. I know you don’t want to hear it, but some men take a liking to it. They enjoy seeing the life leave a man’s body, and your brother never cared about anything or anyone but hisself.”

“He cared about me,” Coy insisted meekly.

“Maybe so, but from what I saw he more wanted another gun at his side. He was always trying to drag you into trouble, like when he wanted you to wait in a gulley with your gun drawn while he lured that fellow looking to challenge him. Will knew he was a faster draw and he was too much of a coward to face him like a man.”

“But I didn’t.”

“No, and that yellow belly had the gall to call you a coward!”

“He said brothers should back each other up.”

“In some cases for sure they should, but not when we’re talking about killing a man unawares. Wrong is wrong.” He sighed loudly. “Would you have wanted that on your conscience?”

“No, of course not! I’m no killer.”

“I know that and so did Will, but it meant nothing to him. Remember his plan to rob that bank?”

“I remember… but he didn’t do it.”

“He would have if you’d gone along with it, and you can bet he would have robbed a bank sooner or later. You might not like me saying this, but Will deserved to die, and you can be mad at me if’n you want, but he don’t deserve no kind words.”

“You hated him.”

“Yep, I did, and I admitted to that, but mostly I had hate for him because I cared about you. I was wise to him and it’s time you were too. Face it, with all the trouble he got up to, you’re lucky to have reached the ripe old age of twenty-one. Do you get that?”

Coy nodded as he rose and lifted his holster off the bedpost, strapping it on with his head down.

“Good… I hope you do. You’re a decent man, a good man for sure, and now you can stop worrying about trying to please Will. You can live your life without looking over your shoulder. I know that’s what I’m going to do.”

Coy nodded again, meeting Boone’s gaze once more, with an uncertain expression on his unshaved face. “You still care about me?”

“Course I do.”

“No, I mean like what Will said about—”

“I’m not going to talk about that again, you understand? We already had the conversation… now, are you ready?

Coy blew out a long breath, his disappointment clear. “You seem in an awful hurry, but I reckon I’m ready.”

“Don’t forget your hat.”

 

Heading past the last few buildings, Boone began to relax. When trouble happened, it was usually in towns. Out at camp you could at least see riders approach—not so in a lively place like Red Bluff where it could be around any corner. He’d learned to be as cautious as a chased wolf from years of being around Will, and supposed it would stick with him no matter where he went.

He’d met Coy on a cattle drive, the second one for both of them. They were the same age, sixteen, but growed enough and strong enough to handle the hard work, and it was only natural they would attach to each other given all the other hands were much older. It hadn’t taken long to grow close, and it seemed right to follow him once the job ended.

Coy had struck out on his own a year before they'd met, having no interest in a small family farm what barely supported itself, but was now returning home after getting a letter from his mother. She’d fallen ill and was badly in need of help. Her life had been a tough one, losing her husband and Coy’s younger brother to the same sickness, and then the twins, the oldest of the brothers, who’d both drowned in an unexpected flash flood. Coy’s uncle, her brother, had taken over and eked out a living on the farm for years, but had up and dropped dead while hauling water to the cows.

Suddenly alone, she desperately needed someone to care for her and the farm. Coy was distressed when he got the letter, and Boone wanted to help, but when they arrived two weeks later, it didn’t take but a few days to see the dirt was no good and the pasture poor and parched because the land was dry. Even so, for the first six months he enjoyed farming with Coy, despite working sunup to sundown… but then Will had shown up.

Maysie Diamond was frail but she was a force too, and she’d taken a liking to Boone from the get go. Will had set about to change that. He was a perceptive man, always watchful, and soon figured out his strong feelings for Coy. It hadn’t taken Boone long either, to figure out Will was pure trouble and if left unchallenged, would take his only remaining brother down a bad path.

He could count the days the man had put in a full day’s work. There wasn’t a lick of interest in the farm other than three square meals and a place to hide out… no, his main interest had become getting rid of Boone.

By the time Maysie passed, a little more than a year later, she was no longer supportive of his friendship with Coy. She was still kind, but there was no missing the change in her words for him, or her occasional sermons to her son on the sins of the flesh, and how the Lord wanted him to have a good woman in his life… one to keep him from the influences of the devil.

Further, towards the end he was no longer welcome to share Coy’s room, Maysie insisting he bunk in the twin’s old bedroom alongside Will, with no explanation for it. Boone, knowing full well the reason, chose to move out to the barn.

“Did you see how Sheriff Willard was staring at us… at me, when we rode by his office?”

Coy’s question tore Boone from his memories. “He stares at everyone.”

“Yeah, but this was different.”

“Maybe so. You know he does suspect Will for those murders, so I’ll bet he’s wondering if we know anything.”

“That’s what I was thinking.” Coy rode up closer to Boone. “You think he’s going to try to pin them on us?”

Boone stared into the concerned face, seeing his friend’s fear. “No… no I don’t, but he’s a smart man. Like I said, he’s thinking we might know something, and for sure we do, so I reckon we should consider telling him the truth.”

“What? Are you loco? You want to tell him Will did it, now that he’s dead?”

“I’m thinking on it.”

“But—”

“Coy, you think on it too and then we’ll talk. Can you do that?”

“I don’t know, Boone.”

“I’m just asking you to think a spell.”

Coy sighed and stared straight ahead. “I need to take down his tent.”

“I’ll help you when we get back.”

“No need. I’ll do it.”

“Fine and dandy. I’ll leave you be.”

“You could take down Wes and Lee’s, though. I reckon it’s time.”

“Suppose it is. And Dan’s.”

“Yep, his too,” Coy muttered before dropping back behind him. Other than the sound of the horses’ footfalls and the creak of worn leather needing oiling, the rest of the ride was in silence.

 

 

*

  

Thanks for reading. Two chapters in... how are you feeling about the story... about Boone, Coy, and the sidewinder, Will? Are we seeing the end of a good and solid friendship? Please share your thoughts if you can... I look forward to hearing them. :)  Thanks, as always to Timothy M., my editor. 
Copyright © 2020 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 28
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



5 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

I continue to enjoy this tale. It’s sad to see what’s happened to Boone, and to the people who had the misfortune to come in contact with Will. Coy can’t or won’t see things as Boone does. It’s good to see Boone having hope for a new start. I hope his farewells to Coy are easy, so he can get started before winter. 

Glad to hear that, Parker. There's lots more story to come. Boone's experienced a lot in his young life, but that was common in that time period. He really had no family life and still turned out decent and caring, whereas Will had a family to rely on and was truly toxic to all whose lives he touched. Go figure. 

I don't think Boone has been happy for a while... and certainly not since Coy busted his nose, but that fact is driving him to make a change... follow his dream. We'll see what the farewells are like. Coy is a decent man as well, in part, thanks to Boone's steadying influence. How would Coy handle it being gone?

Thanks, buddy... see you Monday... :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Well there’s a lot going unsaid that I really want to be said.  Too bad they’re both cowboys, those yahoos never say anything.

Hey, spikeman! Lol to those yahoos. It's true, though, even today,  the cowboys I've known don't talk much. :rolleyes: And yes, there is a lot being unsaid. Boone is tiptoeing a bit about what his plans are because he doesn't want to upset Coy, and Coy is going in circles over losing his brother, and probably Boone, within days of one another. He's tiptoeing too because he doesn't want to hear it. I hope you're enjoying it so far... no one has complained yet about the style of writing I'm using. :)  Thanks for hanging in there, buddy... cheers... G. :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Hey, spikeman! Lol to those yahoos. It's true, though, even today,  the cowboys I've known don't talk much. :rolleyes: And yes, there is a lot being unsaid. Boone is tiptoeing a bit about what his plans are because he doesn't want to upset Coy, and Coy is going in circles over losing his brother, and probably Boone, within days of one another. He's tiptoeing too because he doesn't want to hear it. I hope you're enjoying it so far... no one has complained yet about the style of writing I'm using. :)  Thanks for hanging in there, buddy... cheers... G. :hug:  

I’m definitely enjoying it... I’m still not convinced on them parting being necessarily a good thing, Coy obviously doesn’t want Boone to go, but I guess Boone is convinced he does.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

I’m definitely enjoying it... I’m still not convinced on them parting being necessarily a good thing, Coy obviously doesn’t want Boone to go, but I guess Boone is convinced he does.  

Really glad to hear it, spikey. I usually have doubts for the first few chapters of a new story. Just because I might like the story doesn't mean others will. No, Coy doesn't want to Boone to go, but Boone wants happiness. He's been on his own since he was nine, and didn't really have a parent before that. Coy became his family, but unrequited love can weigh a person down, and that's where Boone is now. I wouldn't say he's strong in his conviction, but he's determined to build a good life, one way or another. :)  :hug: 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I'm enjoying the ambling nature of a country Western. It's not for the want of a helluva lot of action having taken place, as recounted in the dialogue.

Although Boone seems intent on heading up north to start life afresh, in some small mountain holdings, I think Coy will plead with Boone to let him ride along. After all Boone is all the friend and family he has left. 

As Boone pointed out he cant really afford to buy a place outright,  so it makes sense for the two of them to pool resources.

Interesting characters and story Gary. Mind some if'n I join yer posse and mosey on out wit' ya?

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Bard Simpson said:

I'm enjoying the ambling nature of a country Western. It's not for the want of a helluva lot of action having taken place, as recounted in the dialogue.

Although Boone seems intent on heading up north to start life afresh, in some small mountain holdings, I think Coy will plead with Boone to let him ride along. After all Boone is all the friend and family he has left. 

As Boone pointed out he cant really afford to buy a place outright, on his own, so it makes sense for the two of them to pool resources.

Interesting characters and story Gary. Mind some if'n I join yer posse and mosey on out wit' ya.

No, sir, don't mind at all. I reckon you'll be good company around a campfire. :) This story does sort of amble, and a lot of action has happened off 'screen.' That might change. ;) I like your speculation... it shows you're paying attention, and that makes me happy. As far as Coy pleading to come along, we'll see. You're right that their stakes won't likely buy land outright for each of them, but we don't know how much their gold is worth. Boone is banking on paying in installments, a new policy for the government that doesn't involve loans and interest.  

I think separation will be hard for both men, but Boone feels he needs to break Coy's hold on him. Will he see your sense?  :X  Thanks, buddy... so glad to have you along for another of my stories. :D  :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

I don't get why Boone feels so strongly that he needs to protect Coy from himself. Coy seems open to the idea of being intimate friends but Boone won't hear of it. He clearly thinks Coy is the most beautiful specimen on earth.

It's like Boone has been brainwashed by 5 years of negative vibes from Will and people Will has influenced (Coy's mother).

Or just maybe he loves Coy that much, he wants him to grow up and have a life with a wife and kids. That's quite a sacrifice that Boone is making. But deep down, I think Boone knows that a life with Coy could be there for the taking.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

I don't get why Boone feels so strongly that he needs to protect Coy from himself. Coy seems open to the idea of being intimate friends but Boone won't hear of it. He clearly thinks Coy is the most beautiful specimen on earth.

It's like Boone has been brainwashed by 5 years of negative vibes from Will and people Will has influenced (Coy's mother).

Or just maybe he loves Coy that much, he wants him to grow up and have a life with a wife and kids. That's quite a sacrifice that Boone is making. But deep down, I think Boone knows that a life with Coy could be there for the taking.

Hey, buddy. I really don't think that's it at all. Boone spent all that time protecting Coy from Will's bad influence. He knew what Will was up to, and Coy had a blindspot where Will was concerned. He'd lost his entire family... Will was the only kin left, and it appears he kind of dominated his brother... or would have if Boone hadn't been around. We'll get a better idea over the next couple of chapters.

But yes, Boone has closed up. He definitely had negative vibes from Will and Maysie Diamond, but I believe it was the punch from Coy, after they kissed the one and only time, that did it. And I think he sees Coy is messed up at the moment... confused and hurt by the loss of his brother, and possibly losing his best friend if Boone leaves, and Boone doesn't want to take advantage of that. It's not so much a noble thing as it is that Boone doesn't want to get hurt again. He's really starting to protect himself now... for the first time in years. Does that make sense?  G.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

“He didn’t pine for him like he used to because he’d finally figured out it was never going to happen. He wanted someone made like he was, but that didn’t change the fact he loved the man deep as any well.”
BOY does that resonate with me. 💔  (Not the “made like he was” part but those type of feelings encompass all orientations)

My like and admiration for Boone grows with each chapter....he’s had a shitty hand dealt to him with his childhood and “differentness” but he never let it make him bitter or vengeful;  He wants what everyone wants: a roof of his own over his head, clothes on his back and food in his belly and is willing to work hard to achieve that.  Coy actually seems rather naive to leave on his own but Boone has done right by him, it is time to move on and Coy may never learn unless he stands on his own.
Coy’s questions about Boone’s feelings for him at the very least speaks to confusion on his part, at the worst, bringing it up is cruel to Boone if he isn’t going to declare similar feelings himself.  At this rate, it’s like Coy likes mattering to someone as much as he matters to Boone and doesn’t want to share that.

Will sounds like a right piece of shit, I’m glad he’s dead and hope his past deeds don’t come back to bite Coy in the ass because you just know that man left bad history in his wake.  

I find it interesting the title of the story is “Sidewinder” and the only character we’ve met so far that qualifies is dead, is that an indication of more sneaky creatures to come or will aspects of that be exposed in our boys? (You know I wonder at your inspiration for the names, lol).

I also wonder about the mechanics of sex between guys “made like that” in those days but imagine you’ll provide illumination as the story progresses so I’ll wait. 😊

Nice work 🍻

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Headstall said:

Hey, Dave! Happy Birthday, once again! :wizard:  Boone doesn't see a future in hanging around Red Bluff. I think he needs the weight of the past couple of years off his shoulders... and he needs to put himself first for a change. Still, there are things to clean up first. :)  Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and for reading. Cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

Daddydavek and I are either birthday twins or birthday cousins so Happy Belated Birthday @Daddydavek  🎉🎁🎂🎈

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, FanLit said:

“He didn’t pine for him like he used to because he’d finally figured out it was never going to happen. He wanted someone made like he was, but that didn’t change the fact he loved the man deep as any well.”
BOY does that resonate with me. 💔  (Not the “made like he was” part but those type of feelings encompass all orientations)

My like and admiration for Boone grows with each chapter....he’s had a shitty hand dealt to him with his childhood and “differentness” but he never let it make him bitter or vengeful;  He wants what everyone wants: a roof of his own over his head, clothes on his back and food in his belly and is willing to work hard to achieve that.  Coy actually seems rather naive to leave on his own but Boone has done right by him, it is time to move on and Coy may never learn unless he stands on his own.
Coy’s questions about Boone’s feelings for him at the very least speaks to confusion on his part, at the worst, bringing it up is cruel to Boone if he isn’t going to declare similar feelings himself.  At this rate, it’s like Coy likes mattering to someone as much as he matters to Boone and doesn’t want to share that.

Will sounds like a right piece of shit, I’m glad he’s dead and hope his past deeds don’t come back to bite Coy in the ass because you just know that man left bad history in his wake.  

I find it interesting the title of the story is “Sidewinder” and the only character we’ve met so far that qualifies is dead, is that an indication of more sneaky creatures to come or will aspects of that be exposed in our boys? (You know I wonder at your inspiration for the names, lol).

I also wonder about the mechanics of sex between guys “made like that” in those days but imagine you’ll provide illumination as the story progresses so I’ll wait. 😊

Nice work 🍻

 

 

Thanks, my friend. Boone wears his heart on his sleeve, dangerous as it is to do such a thing. Will saw his feelings for Coy right away. But, I think the important thing here is that Boone accepts who he is. He isn't ducking it... and he isn't trying to pretend anything... not to Coy at least. Yeah, he loves the man deep as a well. But, he knows he's been spinning his wheels. 

The fact he still cares for Maysie Diamond shows who he is as a human being. 

I suppose you're right that Coy is rather naive, but he's worn blinders where his brother was concerned. It's one thing to know a family member, his last, is mean and nasty, it's quite another to reach the point of writing him off. I believe Coy walked a tightrope between his brother and his best friend, and he is confused more than anything, so you are correct in that. I think asking that question was more about ending some of that confusion. I hope that makes sense because I can't say much more. Sometimes, distance lets the mind clear, and allows a certain level of growth. :yes: 

The title choice came the second I started writing the story. It alludes to Will... although he is dead, he is at the heart of this story... likely the most influential character in Boone and Coy's dynamic. He's responsible for keeping Boone in a life he didn't like, and he's destroyed aspects of his brother's friendship with Boone. And, without spoilers, his influence isn't really over. So yeah, the title is about Will Diamond, a cruel and heartless killer who destroyed a lot of lives in his young life. 

As far as the sexual mechanics, I can only say I always try to be thorough. :) 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... they make me feel you're invested, and that helps. I knew coming in that a western was not likely to be popular, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care. Cheers... Gary.... :hug:  

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, FanLit said:

Daddydavek and I are either birthday twins or birthday cousins so Happy Belated Birthday @Daddydavek  🎉🎁🎂🎈

You guys can have a virtual party. :D  Happy Birthday, my friend! :heart:  :wizard: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... they make me feel you're invested, and that helps. I knew coming in that a western was not likely to be popular, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care. Cheers... Gary.... :hug:  

 

I’d read anything you write, dear heart....even if it was a new edition of the phone book.  😊

:hug:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Honestly, there are people that just truly don't deserve to live; it is strange but they usually have good families or friends.  I believe some are just born bad...  Will was one of them.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..