Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 4,194 Words
  • 4,666 Views
  • 93 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sidewinder - 15. Chapter 15 Larkspur

Matthew 6:21
From where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

                                                                                                                                                                                *****

Larkspur

 

 

The sun was up, but hadn’t traveled very far across the bright, blue sky. Boone reckoned it was near nine in the morning, or thereabouts. They’d gotten an earlier start than usual, anxious to reach their destination, and while they’d had a few spells of talking during the ride, the tension of the previous night was still there. That was until they rode up on the east end of Larkspur, and had their first view of the town spread before them. It sat in a shallow, picturesque valley, bordered by mostly-treed hills beyond half-mile strips of grassland to the north and south.

“Sure is a pretty town,” Coy said with the first real enthusiasm he’d shown that morning.

“It surely is. Lots of green to look at compared to Red Bluff.” Boone slowly took in everything in front of him as they proceeded down the wide, hard-packed main street. The first place they passed was the livery, a solid looking frame building with its doors wide open, and a number of corrals in back. “Some places you can see for miles, and notice we ain’t kicking up any godforsaken dust?”

Coy laughed before giving Boone a wide and warm smile. “Does that mean you’ll stop complaining about it now?”

“I’ll stop as long as I don’t have to cough it up no more,” he answered with his own chuckle. “Look! There’s the Government Land Office I might be seeking… and the bank… and there’s the telegraph… that line’s coming from the southeast.”

“Must be another town in that direction. We’ve got lots to learn about this new territory.”

Boone nodded as he continued to observe. “We sure do, but I like what I’m seeing so far. Looks downright prosperous.”

There were people going about their business on the wide, low boardwalks on both sides, and lots of horses and wagons were tied to the hitching rails lining the street, yet here was still plenty of room for traveling down the middle. They got friendly nods from each rider and driver who passed them by, and some even tipped their hats. No doubt about it, they were getting curious looks from the townsfolk.

“There’s the mercantile… and “The Blue Flower Hotel". Wonder why it’s called that?” Coy asked.

“I reckon it’s because larkspurs are blue flowers… and a lot of them were growing alongside the road on our way here.”

“Those tall ones? Those weeds grow everywhere,” Coy said, his head constantly swiveling.

“Yep. I’ve seen them other places too, but not near as many as I’ve seen the last couple of days. I remember an old cowboy saying they could poison a cow if it ate too many.”

“Suppose that’s handy to know around here. So… what do we do first? Should we go to the livery? It’s back there,” he said, pointing behind them.

Boone chuckled at the excitement he heard in his friend’s voice. “Don’t see a need. Just be wasted money since we’ll only stay long enough to get some answers.”

“And some supplies? We need a bunch.”

“Yep… supplies for sure.” They were, at that moment, passing “Alan Bright’s Mercantile,” and Boone’s mouth watered at the fresh vegetables on display in wooden crates under the store’s green striped canvas awning. “Wouldn’t mind some potatoes and carrots and onions, even if they’re old. You want to go in there while I go see the Land Agent?”

“Hell no! I want to hear what he has to say too.”

“Sorry… of course you do. We’ll do everything together. First the agent, then the bank, and then we can restock. Sound right with you?”

“Yep.”

“Let’s ride through to the end and then turn around. Well, look at that… a barber shop. That’ll come in handy.”

“What do we need that for? We’ve been cutting each other’s hair just fine since we met.”

Boone pulled Daisy to a stop and tipped his hat to two ladies crossing the street in plain dresses and straw bonnets. Coy did the same and they received ‘good mornings’ from both of them. “We have been, that’s true enough.” Glancing over, he saw a stubborn look on his friend’s face.

“And you give as good a shave as any of them barbers do,” Coy insisted.

The man wasn’t getting that everything was going to change once he moved on, but Boone smiled. “You got a steadier hand for me than you do for yourself.” His smile turned to a chuckle. Coy’s dark beard was as thick as his eyelashes, and when he shaved hisself, he more often than not left blood behind. “You’re lucky you haven’t sliced your throat clean open.”

“Came close a few times, I reckon,” Coy said with a snort, his head still twisting from side to side, taking in the sights.

“Is that… that looks like a sawmill down at the end on the north side, don’t it?”

“No doubt for it. I can see part of a water wheel. Never had one of those in Red Bluff… had to go more than ten miles west out of town for sawn wood.”

Sure enough, as they got closer, Boone noticed the wide bridge across a narrow, fast-moving river at the end of town, one whose power the mill obviously harnessed. Peering between buildings, he could see where it was diverted upstream at a spot of higher elevation into a wooden trough which fed the water wheel. He got excited at the thought of being able to get lumber for building. While he intended to make his house from logs, sawn wood would make life easier for so many things—floor boards for one. “Let’s stop in and see what it costs for milling.”

They didn’t have to go in, though, because a man came out to greet them before they even dismounted. He instantly reminded Boone of Sherriff Willard, with the same stature and the same measuring eyes. “Howdy,” he said in a friendly enough greeting.

“Howdy,” they both responded in return.

“You the owner?” Boone asked.

“Sure am. You fellas just passing through?”

“Sticking around if I can find a place to farm.”

“Farming, eh? Suppose we can never have enough farmers with the town growing like it is, and the government’s making more land available all the time. Hear the south will soon be opened. Seen some surveyors working there in the spring.”

“Much for sale now?”

“Far as I know,” he drawled in response. “There’s some parcels to the northwest of town. Plenty hilly out there, with lots of trees, but fertile enough the farms produce good crops once it’s cleared.”

“I heard that from folks a while back. I’m not afraid of hard work, and I don’t mind a few hills.”

The man examined him with those keen eyes before turning his attention to Coy. “What about you, young fella? You looking to take a turn at farming too, or just keeping your friend company?”

Boone watched Coy’s eyes widen before he answered. “Not rightly sure. All depends… but I am here to help my friend, and I don’t mind farming good land.”

“Well, just keep in mind it takes a strong back and a strong will to make a go of it, here especially. I’ve seen some show up with big plans and turn tail after the first year, even back when the land came free. Some get scared off and some get beaten down.”

Coy shifted in his saddle. “Well, I got both, mister, and I don’t turn tail,” he said as he met the man’s direct gaze with one of his own, not flinching as a few seconds passed.

There’d been a slight edge to his voice that sounded defensive. Boone heard it clear as a church bell, but hoped the mill owner hadn’t.

A nod finally came from the big man. “I can see you’ve both got the steel it takes, if I’m any judge.” His face lit up with a broad smile. “The name’s William Merrick, proud proprietor of “Merrick Mill and Quality Lumber,” but you can call me Will.” He stepped forward and offered his hand. Boone shook it as he introduced himself, and Coy did the same when he stepped up to Mouse’s side.

“Nice to meet you… Will. Had a brother named Will.”

“Had?”

“Yep… he died about two months back.”

“Sorry for that.”

Coy gave a slight nod before looking away.

“So, what’s the price for milled lumber?” Boone asked, eager to change the subject and move the attention away from his friend.

“Plenty, if you don’t bring your own logs. Don’t cost nothing but half the wood if you provide the trees. Two to three cents a board foot if you don’t like that deal. Cheaper to mill softwood than hardwood. More if there’s a lot of big old knots that wear my blades down.”

“So, if I bring you ten logs, you keep five and I get five milled for no cost?”

“That’s the truth of it. I might can do a little better for top quality trees, but that’s what you can count on. It’s what most folks do if money’s short, but don’t bring me punky wood cause I’ll turn it down.”

“Sounds fair enough.”

“You’ll find most people hereabouts are fair. We all want the same thing, for this town to grow and prosper, and maybe someday get a railway line.”

“Think there’s a chance of that?” Boone asked.

“There’s talk, and it sure would make moving goods quicker and easier. Town’s growing fast, but it needs to get a little bigger yet. Railway wants to be guaranteed it’ll make money, so I suspect we’re a couple of years away.”

“Something to look forward to, I guess. Sure looks to be a nice town from what we’ve seen so far,” Boone said. “Thanks for the information, Will. I’ll… we’ll be seeing you again.”

“Always look forward to new business. Hope you find a place you’ll want to settle, and if you’re looking for a good team and a wagon built sturdy enough for hauling logs, stop by again and I’ll give you directions to old man Corker’s place, and a note you can give him. Can you read?”

“Yep, we both read respectable.”

“That makes it easier… he’s got no voice, but he can write. He’s got a well-trained pair I’ll vouch for. Saw him put ‘em through their paces a time or two, and there’s no one better for getting a team going. One’s still a stud, but he’s docile as a lamb. Might be willing to take that mule as a trade in… looks good and sturdy.”

Boone frowned at the mention of trading Blue in. “A team might be what I’ll need. Thanks, Will.”

“Been a pleasure, fellas.”

“Nice to make your acquaintance,” Coy said before he turned Mouse and Buttercup around. They rode back through town, and this time tied their horses in front of the Land Agent’s office.

“Thinking about your brother?”

Coy spoke for the first time since they left the mill. “Can’t say I am. Lots of Williams in the world.”

“True enough, but you got quiet all of a sudden.”

“Yep.”

“Did Merrick rile you?”

“Truth is, I didn’t like him judging me so quick like he did, but no, he didn’t mean nothing by it.”

“I think you’re right, he didn’t mean nothing by it, but he did seem a mite challenging. I suspect he’s a talker, and he was taking your measure… mine too.”

“Reminded me some of Sherriff Willard.”

Boone chuckled as he got off Daisy and made sure Blue was well tied… the mule was a mite challenging too. “It’s those eyes… they look right through you.”

“Put me on edge, they did, and I’m all over prickly lately,” Coy admitted with a hangdog look after he dismounted in his usual way, front first.

“Don’t fret, Coy. You’ve been through a lot the last few months… we both have, but we’re here now. We made it to Larkspur, so let’s see what the land agent has to tell us.”

“Looking forward to it. So… you thinking about trading Blue?”

“Nope.”

 

The agent was the opposite of Will Merrick. He was short, balding, obviously surprised at their presence, and wore thick spectacles that made his eyes look bigger than goose eggs. Their boots made a clomping sound on the slightly bouncy wood floors as they approached the counter he stood behind.

“I’ll be with you in one minute, gentlemen,” he said as he quickly donned his bowler hat. Picking up some papers from the counter, he disappeared through a doorway behind him. Boone heard the shuffling of more papers before the man appeared again. “Now, how can I be of service?”

“We heard the government opened more land in these parts,” Boone said, the excitement of the moment hitting him in his gut.

Those big eyes blinked a few times behind their lenses. “You know it’s not free, don’t you? No such thing as free land anymore, I’m afraid.”

“Yep, we know that,” Boone answered with a quick nod.

“And there’s no dollar an acre policy anymore… the government needs funds.”

“We know that too.”

“Well, well, and here I thought it was going to be another slow day. Which of you is looking to purchase?” His eyes darted back and forth between them.

Boone glanced at Coy. He wasn’t going to speak for him. “I am, for sure.”

“Good. Good. What about you, young man? You interested in owning a majestic piece of the American dream?”

“Might be. I reckon it all depends.”

“On price? The bank is lending money for new farmers… and the government allows—”

“Won’t be needing lending,” Coy said abruptly. “What is the price?”

“Reasonable. Quite reasonable. Now, of course prairie land would cost you five or six dollars, even ten dollars an acre, depending on where you settle, and I’m here to tell you land in the southern regions is absolutely exorbitant. The land here is a tougher proposition, of course.”

“Meaning what exactly?” Boone asked.

“All the land opened to the northwest of Larkspur has been priced at three dollars, fifty cents per acre, cheaper because of the challenges of clearing the land, but the government allows you to pay in four installments. That, of course, means you don’t have to pay all at once, and gives you a chance to get a crop in before final payment’s due.”

Coy looked at Boone. “Well, it’s not four dollars.”

Boone nodded. “No, it’s not.” He turned his attention back to the agent. “How much land is available?”

“Well, there’s no minimum on lot size. Because of the hilly terrain, and natural boundaries such as a steep and deeply forested valley on the north side, the parcels left are irregular and range in size from around fifty acres to one hundred and thirty acres. It seems folks can’t afford the larger parcels the government used to offer, and insisted on, so there’s been a change of policy.”

“And are there plenty to choose from?”

The agent blinked rapidly before responding. “I should inform you there are plans in place to open more land in the next few years, south of Larkspur, and some land to the northeast towards Bearpaw Lake. That’s about forty miles from here, and a relatively new settlement. However, the land is much the same as what’s available now… meaning much of it will have to be cleared. Of course, you can expect prices to rise… they always do.”

“I’m interested in buying land now, in this area, and I expect to be clearing it,” Boone said decisively.

“In that case, we have a number of good plots scattered to the north and west. Would you like to see the survey map?”

“We surely would,” Boone answered. Coy nodded when the man turned his owlish gaze to him.

“I’ll be right back.” The man disappeared again, but was quick to return with a large rolled up paper in his hand. Setting it down, he stuck his hand over the counter. “I’m Phineas Lemon, official Land Agent for the Government of the United States of America. Any contracts entered into with me, once stamped with the official seal, will be binding.”

Boone shook the offered hand, and was surprised at the softness of it. “Boone Dixon.”

“Coy Diamond.” Coy shook his hand next, and shot Boone a quick look.

Spreading the map out on the counter, Phineas placed paper weights on the corners. “Please don’t touch this official document.” Picking up a short, perfectly rounded stick, he pointed to one spot on the map. “This is where you are now… the town of Larkspur. Can you gentlemen read?”

Coy said, “Yes,” and Boone nodded, his focus on figuring out the map.

“What do the numbers mean?” he asked.

“Each parcel is numbered, and they match up with corresponding documents… the deeds. Now, the parcels stamped with the small red circle have been purchased. The others are the ones of interest to you.”

“This one, number two eighty-two, the farthest one from town, it looks larger than most of the others. Is this accurate?”

“Yes, Mr. Dixon, the map is absolutely accurate. There is a list of acreages on the side… here… two eighty-two is one hundred and thirty-two acres, so it is the largest available. There are, of course, a number of larger farms in operation. Those parcels were bought up first.”

“What’s it like, and why is it still available?”

“I can’t really say, other than it is bordered on one side by the river. I’ve never walked the land, but I have many of the others, at least partly. As to why it’s still available, it’s quite far from town at the road’s end. If you’ll notice, most of the parcels left are those to the west as well… they might be more heavily treed, and possibly less fertile, and of course, more expensive because of their size.”

Coy pointed to the property bordering it. “Says on the list this one has eighty-two acres, is that so?”

“Let’s see. Yes, that’s correct. Now, keep in mind there are some smaller parcels closer to town which are less of a financial burden. Number one-seventy-five is fifty acres, and one-seventy-six is fifty-four acres, which is considerably cheaper, and they are in a more populated area.”

“They all front the same road, do they not?” Boone asked.

“Yes, all are to the north of the road, which runs for a good part alongside the river—it’s the same river that runs through the end of town before curling south and west again—and all four survey stakes for each property will have these same numbers on the inward side.”

“What about the other side of the river?”

“The other side? Ah… there are no plans to open up that land. The surveyors have deemed it unsuitable for farming. You’ll see for yourself it’s much too hilly and uneven, with sections of bog and lower areas subject to some flooding, I’m afraid, whereas the land to the south and east of Larkspur is much the same as these available parcels. ”

Boone nodded his understanding. He’d already seen some of the land to the south. “We’ll investigate the available ones today, if that suits you.”

“Certainly, but I’m afraid I can’t accompany you. I must… well, I should be present in the office, but I recommend you take a good look at one-seventy-five and one seventy-six. Excellent properties, those, and I’m sure you can be successful with either one.”

“We’ll be sure to include them. Can we camp the night on one of the parcels if we’re not done exploring?”

“Of course, as long as it’s not land already settled. Take whatever time you need. Now, would you like me to write out a list of the available acreages? It would take me but a few minutes.”

“That would come in handy for sure. Thank you, Phineas. We’ll just head over to the bank now, and pick it up when we’re done.”

“Superb. I’ll get it ready immediately.”

 

They left the bank half an hour later, after providing the codes for their accounts and signing some documents. They were assured their funds would be accessible the following day, once the telegraph transfer was made. Boone requested all his money be moved to the Larkspur branch, and Coy was quick to request the same. They could choose National Bank paper notes, now widely trusted, or gold coins. Boone didn’t like being charged half a percent on any gold withdrawn, but it was still favored by many. The single eagles, worth ten dollars, and double eagles, worth twenty dollars, would often get you a better deal when you bought something. Liberty coins, silver or gold, were also dependable currency.

Phineas Lemon not only gave them a list—he’d also sketched out a surprisingly accurate map in the short time they’d been gone. Once again, he made recommendations for a few more plots closer to town, including one that was sixty-one acres he pointed out enthusiastically. Eager to get going, they thanked him and left to pick up supplies.

The mercantile was well stocked, but they were in a hurry. Boone figured they had nine, maybe ten hours of daylight, and it was going to take time to check out each parcel of land. Coy didn’t need to be prodded, and had gathered up supplies quickly, including a few candles, and a newfangled kerosene lantern and fuel. All the while, the curious shopkeeper asked questions. Coy was cheery and forthcoming, and the man seem pleased they might be sticking around.

Coy had gotten carrots and potatoes first, and that made Boone smile. He pointed out the small red apples, and his friend nodded. While Coy handled the food supplies, he picked up a couple of items himself, including a long handled shovel, and after shaking hands with the very friendly Alan Bright, the proprietor, he gathered up the supplies and left his friend to settle up.

Next stop was the Merrick Mill, and once again, as if he’d been waiting for them, Will came out to meet them with the promised directions and a note for old man Corker in hand. He wished them luck, and they were on their way.

“What did you get the shovel for? You planning on burying me?” Coy asked as he looked back at Blue’s pack.

“Not while I need your strong back,” Boone answered with a chuckle. “You and me are going to dig us some holes.”

“What for would we do that?”

“To make sure I don’t buy a big piece of rock. There needs to be three or four good feet of soil for planting.”

“Ah… smart thinking. You look to be chomping at the bit.”

“Ready to bust.”

Coy snorted. “Me too.”

“You are?”

“Yep, I truly am. Ever since I saw the map. Boone, you get the feeling Phineas was steering you away from two hundred and eighty-two?”

“Yep… and from two hundred and eighty-one. His eyes got to twitching when you brought it up.”

“Lord, them eyes are big. Saw the same thing. Why do you suppose that would be?”

“Can’t say, but he wasn’t good at hiding it. He pushed a few more parcels when he gave us the list, yet he said he didn’t know what the other two were even like.”

“Think maybe the land’s no good?”

“Could be, but my guess is he wants it for himself or someone else. Might have steered others away too. Seems to me the river would be good for floating timber to the mill. Anyways, we’ll find out. Won’t do to have the whole acreage forested, or the river able to flood it in spring. Had enough of rising water to last me a lifetime.”

Coy nodded. “Ain’t that the truth. Timber’s going to be worth something if the south gets opened soon… maybe he wants the timber?”

“Smart thinking, Coy. Might be that parcel would be a good place for a future mill. River right beside it, one that winds its way to town.”

“Didn’t he say the valley on the boundary was forested?”

“Heavily forested, he said. You got me thinking now.” Boone reached over and clapped his friend on the shoulder. “I might be farm smart, but you’re the clever one.”

Coy laughed, a truly happy sound, and in unison, they moved their horses into a fast trot.

 

 

*

Well, we made it all the way to Larkspur. I hope you've enjoyed the journey so far. If you have, please recommend the story in the box provided on the story page, and if you would be so kind as to leave a story like there as well, it would be appreciated. These optional steps help bring new readers to a story that is close to my heart. :)  Cheers, and let me know what you thought of Coy and Boone's arrival.
Copyright © 2020 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 49
  • Love 49
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



19 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I was thinking the whol time there was something suspicious about phineas.the mill guy sounds like a decent fella though. Its good to see coy loosen up some

Land agents and Indian agents were notorious for corruption in those days. There were plenty of opportunities to take advantage of situations, and Phineas is a typical bureaucrat, so who knows what he might be doing to line his own pockets. Will Merrick is protective of his town from the looks of it. He's good to good people. :) 

Coy did seem to loosen up and get in the swing of things. Is he just happy  and excited for Boone? I guess we'll find out. Thanks, buddy... Merry Christmas! :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

They are both practically vibrating with excitement and I can understand why. They are at the threshold of a new beginning and so far there have been no negatives to put them off. They know they have enough money to buy the land outright and that is a comforting feeling. I can't wait to get their impressions on the property. I feel Coy still wants to go in on the land together with Boone rather than get a place of his own.

I'm pleased you got that feeling from them, DP. I think they were delightfully surprised at the prosperity they saw in Larkspur. It was really an unknown for them, and it could very well have been a disappointment. Absolutely, there were no negatives, even if Phineas Lemon might not have been forthcoming about some of the properties. Boone has seen enough in his young life to be aware of its pitfalls, and Coy is in step with that. :)  We know that the stagecoach has a route there, and there is talk of a railway line in the future. Seems like the right time to buy....

We don't know quite what Coy is thinking, but he sure seems eager. Cheers and thanks! :hug: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
32 minutes ago, Headstall said:

even if Phineas Lemon might not have been forthcoming about some of the properties.

He was the only slightly sour note. He may not be outright dishonest, but he has his own agenda.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Just now, drpaladin said:

He was the only slightly sour note. He may not be outright dishonest, but he has his own agenda.

Yep. :)  I wanted to show the corruption present in those times. The local government institutions were too loosely structured back then, and that left room for grift and such. Phineas could be innocent, but that's not the vibe he gave off. Yeah, he definitely seemed to have his own agenda. I didn't believe he'd never checked out those parcels. :no:  Cheers! 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Boone and Coy better watch out, this Lemon fella seems to be working for the Lumber Baron of Larkspur County.  I mean look at his name boys, he’s clearly some kind of villain.  Of course Gary had assured us there’ll be no shootouts in this Western so maybe it’s safe...

Also, Boone needs to stop trying to push my boy Coy away!  He clearly has his sights set on hanging around this beautiful area. Boone needs to like accept it or something.  I feel like Coy could show up naked in Boone’s bed and he’d be all “No Coy, you punched me that one time cause you’re not made that way.”  

:lmao:  Phineas Lemon could be downright dastardly. *twirls mustache and considers changing the next chapter to include some gunplay--oh wait--there is gunplay already* I never thought of him working with Will Merrick, Lumber Baron. :unsure2:  You, my friend, have the mind of a criminal... or a writer. :P 

Should I write that scene of Coy showing up naked in Boone's bedroll, and see what he'll do? It could be interesting by half. :D  Boone might need a sworn affidavit before he'll take his pants off. He he. 

Thanks, spiky... hope you're enjoying the story... appreciate the humor... G. :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

I once knew a clever land speculater. He would find where major new roads were to be built and would go through buying narrow and seemingly worthless strips of land. Some of these would comprise hillsides and gullies. No one thought any of it would be any use or that the hillside or gully might not be there one day. The highway came and folks needed direct access to it and it was there at a price.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Headstall said:

:lmao:  Phineas Lemon could be downright dastardly. *twirls mustache and considers changing the next chapter to include some gunplay--oh wait--there is gunplay already* I never thought of him working with Will Merrick, Lumber Baron. :unsure2:  You, my friend, have the mind of a criminal... or a writer. :P 

Should I write that scene of Coy showing up naked in Boone's bedroll, and see what he'll do? It could be interesting by half. :D  Boone might need a sworn affidavit before he'll take his pants off. He he. 

Thanks, spiky... hope you're enjoying the story... appreciate the humor... G. :hug: 

Gary, when I saw the guy's name I had to go back and check your description cause I was sure he had a waxed mustache and a bowler hat.  As for which kind of mind I have... it's probably both :lol:  Though my writer muscles are very out of shape anymore.

As much as I would love to see Coy do just that, because Boone's reaction would be amazing, I don't think dear Coy is ready for that just yet.  I feel like he's closer than Boone could ever imagine though.

I had to read this chapter in spurts, and I thought I had a bit of a chunk left to read, and then it ended up being like two paragraphs and I was so bummed.  Didn't want it to be over.   

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I once knew a clever land speculater. He would find where major new roads were to be built and would go through buying narrow and seemingly worthless strips of land. Some of these would comprise hillsides and gullies. No one thought any of it would be any use or that the hillside or gully might not be there one day. The highway came and folks needed direct access to it and it was there at a price.

There's a good chance Phineas is speculating as well, but he has to be careful. The rules might be loose, but corruption is corruption, even back then. So many have gotten rich that way. Speculating is an art... and real estate is as lucrative as it gets. As long as you have the capital, you're golden. :)  Of course, there's the flip side... plans change, and fortunes get lost. You win some... you lose some. Personally, I don't like risk. :no: 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

Gary, when I saw the guy's name I had to go back and check your description cause I was sure he had a waxed mustache and a bowler hat.  As for which kind of mind I have... it's probably both :lol:  Though my writer muscles are very out of shape anymore.

As much as I would love to see Coy do just that, because Boone's reaction would be amazing, I don't think dear Coy is ready for that just yet.  I feel like he's closer than Boone could ever imagine though.

I had to read this chapter in spurts, and I thought I had a bit of a chunk left to read, and then it ended up being like two paragraphs and I was so bummed.  Didn't want it to be over.   

I'll take you being bummed as a compliment. :D  Well, Phineas did have  a bowler hat. :yes:  His name came to me easily, and I never really pictured him as dastardly, but he very well could be. 

I think you could be right about Coy. He might be close to a decision about what he wants to do, but he hasn't made it. The thing is, Boone knows him well enough to know that, so it's not all Boone being a stubborn idiot. He can read the man better than anyone, but you can't read what isn't there. :) 

As far as my kind of mind, I'm with you, buddy. I can get so inside a character's mind that it scares me. :unsure2: 

Cheers!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Leo C said:

if anything, this chapter showed what a good team our boys are.  I just love the way they function together end complement each other. So of course they really could not and should not be without each other. Right now I think it's time for them to get a little physical to seal the deal. I think Coy is ready, and Boone just needs to give in and stop worrying. Thank you so much for this wonderful story, Gary. 

Hey, Leo! Yes, they really are a good team, aren't they? We'll see if they heed your advice. :P  Are these guys ready for something physical? I'm not sure... so you're going to have to stick around and see. :D 

I thank you for the kind words, buddy... cheers! :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Gary....I love, love LOVE this story. I’m very conflicted! I want to know how it ends with Coy and Boone, and I don’t want it to end. What a great tv series this would make.  Well done, my friend.

Coral

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

Larkspur seems a nice prosperous town. I'm envisioning them buying two plots, with Boone getting first choice and Coy buying an adjoining plot. Probably plot 282 and the one next to it, doing so would give them 214 acres. It will be interesting to see what that land is like. Riverside property would have a number of advantages so long as it's not flood prone. Plus if they could begin by clearing one plot to farm and leave the other to timber later as the town grows and lumber becomes a commodity. I curious to see what comes next. 

Well the land agent stated it was the other side of the river that flooded, I think they end up going for the larger section and an adjoining one,  this was a great chapter, ended much too quickly...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, dughlas said:

Larkspur seems a nice prosperous town. I'm envisioning them buying two plots, with Boone getting first choice and Coy buying an adjoining plot. Probably plot 282 and the one next to it, doing so would give them 214 acres. It will be interesting to see what that land is like. Riverside property would have a number of advantages so long as it's not flood prone. Plus if they could begin by clearing one plot to farm and leave the other to timber later as the town grows and lumber becomes a commodity. I curious to see what comes next. 

I always knew I had a good imagination, but ever since I started writing, it has kind of amazed me  how vividly I can see a setting, like a house, or a campsite, or a backyard, a restaurant, or in this case, a town. I can tell you Larkspur is beautiful, perched in the center of a rise in a valley. "The Blue Flower Hotel" is beautiful, with an upper balcony across it's front, and the corrals in back of the livery are neat and orderly. Bright's mercantile smells of coffee and apples mixed with heat baked wood. :)  Looks like you caught me in one of my rambling moods, bro.

I'm pleased you're looking forward to what the land is like, and whether Boone finds the right place to build his home. You paint a nice scenario, with Coy and Boone living side by side. We'll get a better idea of what might happen in the next chapter... and it happens to be a longer one. :) 

Thanks, dugh... I hope you like what's coming. Cheers! :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
54 minutes ago, Coastguard said:

Gary....I love, love LOVE this story. I’m very conflicted! I want to know how it ends with Coy and Boone, and I don’t want it to end. What a great tv series this would make.  Well done, my friend.

Coral

Ah, Coral, so nice to hear from you again. Three 'loves!' Woot woot! I still remember your comment on Finding Refuge and how good it made me feel. We still have a number of chapters left, so don't worry about it ending too soon. :)  A TV series? Is the world ready for a gay western? It they are, I would love to write it. :D  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and making me feel good once again, my friend... Happy Holidays to you and yours... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
51 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Well the land agent stated it was the other side of the river that flooded, I think they end up going for the larger section and an adjoining one,  this was a great chapter, ended much too quickly...

Hey, drsawzall! I'm glad you thought this a great chapter. As far as ending too quickly, I take that as a compliment... but the next one is a little longer. :)  Yeah, as Boone said, he's had enough of rising water, so I don't think he'll buy anything prone to flooding. :no:  We'll find out soon whether Boone finds something he likes, and whether you're right or not. He's had this dream a long, long time. :unsure: 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, buddy... much appreciated. Cheers! :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter was truly a delight.  Got to Larkspur and were able to meet a few people.  One or two, I already sort a like, but like the boys not so sure about the land agent.  Much like today, you can't take people at face value, you have to look beneath the surface.  

Can't wait to see what they find out about the land while they are out exploring...

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..