Jump to content
    Headstall
  • Author
  • 3,202 Words
  • 6,696 Views
  • 118 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sidewinder - 20. Chapter 20 Epilogue: The Promised Land

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

                                                                                                                                                         ***

Epilogue: The Promised Land

 

 

Boone was woken from an exhausted sleep by a loud yell. Momentarily disoriented, his heart hammered in his chest when he realized Coy wasn’t in his usual place next to him. That never happened. He heard another shout coming through the small, open bedroom window, an added extravagance Coy had insisted they buy and install in the very late fall, having suddenly decided the one that didn’t open wasn’t enough. Naked, he bolted from the bedroom to the front door. As worried as he was for his partner, he managed to open it cautiously.

Three days earlier, he’d stumbled upon a couple of young braves while grouse hunting—ones he didn’t know—and while they went their own way after a friendly sign of greeting, a settler could never be too sure in this untamed world. He and Coy were treated well by the peaceful local Indians, but there were still a few wandering Shawnee who’d evaded capture so far, and some of them were looking to avenge the brutal treatment their kind had suffered at the hands of the white man.

A burst of birdsong erupted as his appearance, and it startled him for a few heartbeats. It was barely dawn, but there was enough light for him to scout the yard. He searched the front of the cabin for any sign of Coy before he stepped fully out onto the front porch. He couldn’t see him anywhere, and his panic was growing. Slipping back inside, he grabbed the always-loaded rifle hanging over the big stone fireplace, imagining all kinds of godawful things.

Another yell from Coy had him back on the porch in an instant, rifle raised and ready. Boone about dropped with relief to see Coy waving his arms from the front of their small barn. “Boone! Maysie’s giving birth! Get your pretty ass down here.”

Boone, weak-kneed at the sight of him, waved back. “I’ll be right there!”

Going back inside the three room cabin, he headed back to their bedroom and pulled on his britches and boots, and then grabbed his shirt from the bedpost. He hoped Maysie and the calf were all right. Coy had a special relationship with that damn milk cow, even naming her after his dear, departed ma.

He strode past the rock-lined well that had taken them weeks to put in—fortunately they hadn’t had to go very deep—putting on his shirt as he neared the small but well-built barn, tall enough for a roomy loft. Every time he laid eyes on it, he was reminded it was only a third the size they needed, but he was mighty proud of it too. They’d do the next third this summer, god willing.

The morning chill disappeared as soon as he closed the door behind him. The warm interior was filled with shadows, but the pen they’d built for Maysie was lit by the soft glow of lantern light. Boone took but a second to see what was needed. Coy was standing behind the sweat-soaked cow with his hands gripping the two front feet poking out from her back end. He was trying to help the birth along while the Shorthorn Milker, standing up with her head over the pen wall, gave out a loud bellow. Boone reached Coy’s side just in time to help guide a slippery calf to the ground.

Coy began praising the milk cow in a soft voice, and Boone stepped back, tugging on the man to come with him. Maysie’s sharp horns barely missed him when she spun around, and she narrowly avoided stepping on the newborn.

“She almost hooked you,” Boone said. “You got to be take more care around her… I keep telling you she ain’t no dog.”

Coy’s lips curled in response. “You’re always fretting over me.”

“No more than you fret over me.”

“Not the same. Why were you naked on the porch holding your rifle?”

Boone groaned, feeling a mite sheepish. “Heard you yell, and thought Indians might have grabbed you.”

Coy turned his attention from the calf, and his face wore a maddening smirk. “No need to fear for that… Red Hawk and his bunch will warn us if there’s danger coming our way. Like I said, you fret too much.”

“Maybe so. You expecting me to stop?”

“I expect the moon to fall in the yard in the middle of the day before that happens. I love you for it, though, in case you weren’t aware.” He wiped his hands on some hay before he laid his arm over Boone’s shoulders and kissed the side of his head. “It’s the heifer we were wanting. She’s early, but she looks a fine one to me.”

“She does. Look at mama.” Maysie was licking her calf while nudging it roughly. The calf bleated, and her mother responded with a long, low moo. “They’re having their first conversation,” Boone said, feeling a sense of wonder at the connection being made.

“Lars said I should hold the calf upside down to help clear its passages and lungs, but I don’t think I need to do that. You think I should?”

Now, Coy was the one fretting, and Boone wrapped his arm around the man’s waist. “There’s no gurgling noise—just clear breathing—so I wouldn’t worry. We’ll just leave them be. She’s talking and moving, and look, she’s already trying to get up. Besides, we don’t want to get Maysie riled up for no reason.”

“I’m just relieved it’s over with and we have a healthy calf.”

“We’ll be back to having fresh milk again. It’s been two long months since we dried her up.”

“We’ve still got plenty of butter and cheese left in the larder, though. I’ll get you your milk once the calf’s had a few days drinking—then we can get back to storing some jugs in the well.”

“I can wait a while longer, I reckon. How long you been out here?”

“Can’t hardly say… not long, but it was pitch dark when I left the cabin. Just had a feeling, and couldn’t sleep. Sure enough she was grunting and pushing when I came in. Looked to have been at it a while, so might be I heard her holler. Told you that fancy window in the bedroom would come in handy.”

“Yes, you did, and I’ve come to see your great wisdom,” Boone said with a cheeky grin. “Why didn’t you wake me?”

“Cause you did all that plowing the last few days, and you were plumb tuckered out. Heck you could hardly keep your eyes open after you ate.”

“So? You’ve been digging post holes all week.”

“Seems I’m always the one doing the digging,” Coy said teasing-like. “No sense in two of us losing sleep with all the spring work still ahead of us—we’ll be planting soon—and I did call you once I saw the feet poking out.”

“I don’t like reaching over to find you gone. Not right to wake up alone.”

“Same for me when you went hunting overnight last fall. Hardly slept a wink.”

“See? You fret same as I do. Dressing and packing a big elk bull is a lot of work, but no denying I missed you that night too. Listened to the wolves and tended the fire all night long… and did my best to keep Blue out of trouble.” He stretched and groaned. His day had begun and chores were waiting. “Best let the chickens out.”

“I’ll do it.”

“No, you stay here, and I’ll do the feeding. Just keep an eye on your new baby,” he teased.

“It’s a good sign for the future, Boone. She’s our first birth on the farm.”

“Yep. Makes me happy to see her there. Next up are Buttercup and Daisy. They should drop their foals in late July, early August, so it’ll be a while yet before you need to fret.” He yelped when Coy cuffed the back of his head.

“You ain’t fooling me none. You’ll be the one pacing the yard when Daisy’s time is close.”

Boone frowned, and then smiled. “Maybe so. Duke didn’t waste any time, did he? And it’ll likely be a big colt. He had no business sneaking in on her like he did.”

“She’ll be fine, Boone. You’re just mad at him because you’ll have to ride Blue for a time.” It was a continual joke between them, but Coy did have a point. That damn mule tried his patience, and even though he’d proved handy in front of a plow and for hauling buckets of dirt from the well, Boone was convinced he enjoyed causing a ruckus whenever he could.

“As long as I don’t have to stop riding you, I reckon I can accept being without Daisy for a spell,” Boone said as he pulled Coy in for a kiss, his hands gripping the man’s ass.

Coy sighed when the kiss ended. “Go feed the horses their oats… we’re not making love in front of our newborn calf.”

Boone snorted. “I reckon I can wait till nighttime.”

“We at least got to try,” Coy said with a grin. “We need to take that load of logs to the mill. I want to get a start on the new coop before we get busy with the planting, and it’d be nice to have the lumber sitting ready when we find time to add onto the barn. Already got a nice pile of stones for the foundation… I added about ten more yesterday.”

“I’ll hitch up Duke and Molly after we have breakfast, and then we can load up. You coming to town with me?”

“Depends on how this little one is doing. I got to make sure she feeds from each teat, and if she don’t, I got to do some milking after six hours to make sure Maysie freshens right.”

“I won’t be that long, and this ain’t her first calf.”

“So? Lars has been milking cows for forty years, and he says it’s important they don’t get a tilted udder.”

Boone shook his head in wonder.

“What’s that look for?”

“You don’t miss nothing, and you never tire of it. You know when a chicken is ailing, and you kept that runt piglet going when I was sure he’d die. Had him in his own bedroll for weeks, holding him in your arms like he was a baby. Now look at him out there—he’s the biggest of the three in the pen. That’s going to be a lot of good pork and good money come this fall.”

“He was a baby, and until he’s smoked and salted, he deserves proper care, just like any other animal does.”

“He’s mighty attached to you.”

“You think I’ll have trouble dressing him out? Cause I won’t— it’s part of being a farmer, and that’s what I am.”

Boone smiled and nodded. He’d long been convinced of that. “You ever think there’s a better life out there?”

“Do you?”

“Hell, no. Got all I need right here.”

“Then why would you think I do?”

“I don’t. I just sometimes got to shake my head at how lucky I am. I’ve always known what I wanted… but to be so lucky to have a partner who’s so….”

“So? So what?”

Boone sighed as he watched the new calf attempt to stand. “You’re a gift from the Lord, I swear. I don’t know what I did in my life to deserve all I got—to deserve the likes of you—but I make sure I thank him every day. This time last year, we were panning for gold and I was feeling… not a thing like I am now.”

“I found my gold strike too, Boone, right here, with you—with all these animals who need us—and this land that gives us its bounty. I get joy from digging a post hole, stacking hay, carrying rocks, or building a root cellar… or an outhouse, don’t matter which, because it’s good, honest work. And every night I get to lay at your side in our new home and talk about what we did and what we still got to do… just like you said once you wanted. That’s all I need… and it’s all I want. And just so you know, I say my prayers every day too, and they start and end with you.”

“After words like that, I think we should go back to bed for a spell.”

Coy shook his head. “No, sir. Day’s already started, and plans are set. I want those maple logs milled so I can get them seasoned enough to make furniture this winter… especially those matching rockers for the front porch.” He stared at the new calf as he pulled something from his pocket.

Boone saw it was Will’s small gold nugget. “You thanking your good luck charm?”

Coy’s gaze turned to him. “It’s not a good luck charm. It’s a reminder to be thankful I have the life I do… and to always see the truth of things.”

Their eyes stayed locked, and Boone could see Coy was considering.

“I don’t need no reminder anymore. Think it’s time I buried this up in the orchard. What do you think?”

“I’m wondering what’s going on in your head, is what I’m thinking.”

“He was my brother, even if he was a lowdown sidewinder—and I need to forgive him, Boone.”

“I expect you’re right.”

“You do?”

“Surely, I do, but why are you wanting to bury it in the orchard?”

“Can’t cash it in—wouldn’t feel right—and I can’t throw it away.” He shrugged as he broke eye contact. “It’s my only piece of him, and I at least need to know where it is… if ever I want to talk to him. Besides, apples are the first crop we sold off this farm, and I still remember the moment we saw the trees. Now that we got the brush cleared away and let more sun in, it’s just about my favorite place to sit and think… and be thankful.”

Boone nodded as those black-fringed, blue eyes shifted back to him. “Mine too. That day was the beginning for us. I’ll help, if you want?”

A big smile appeared at his offer. “You can carry the shovel, seeing as how you’ve always managed to avoid digging post holes.”

Boone laughed. “I can do that. Seriously, though… I don’t hate Will anymore, you know that, right?”

“Why not? You have every right to.”

“He’s a part of you, and I can’t hate a part of you.”

“Sweet talker. We’ll do it tonight after supper. Would you mind if I put a marker on the spot?”

“Course not. I’ll make one for you. You want his name on it?”

“Nope, and I already made one a few weeks back. Not as fancy as the sign you made for the farm, but it’ll do. It just says ‘Rest in Peace’ with a cross carved in it. Don’t need no name on it. Enough jawing, cowboy. We got a full day’s work ahead of us.”

Boone sighed once more, but it was another happy one. Coy kept them on course, and he loved that about him. He’d pushed for the little barn to be built first, to protect their tools and animals—there was just enough room to tie all the stock in if need be, even though the winter hadn’t been the harsh one they’d expected—and their log cabin had turned out better than Boone had planned. That was because Coy wouldn’t be rushed, making sure each log fit snug to the next, and they’d both gotten real good with an axe while they worked as a team.

When time was short, with the unknown of winter getting ever closer, Coy was the one who wouldn’t compromise, insisting the roof be made of milled lumber and shingled boards instead of logs and sod. He’d said it had to be straight and true to be a proper house, and it was… and it hadn’t leaked a drop.

They’d had some damn cold nights in the tent, being greeted most mornings with frozen dew on the grass, but it’d been worth it. They even had a real, honest to goodness bed, built up off the oiled wood floor, complete with a soft, grass-filled mattress… because Coy wouldn’t move in until it was done. Their first night in the cabin, it was the first time Boone had made love in a bed, and it had been an experience worth waiting for.

Coy was the reason “Red Apple Farm” was more than just a place to live. It was a real home, one Boone never thought he’d be lucky enough to find. Coy made sure he had that, and he intended to never take it or his partner in life for granted. It made him happy the man had made his peace with Will, and it was easy for him to do the same. There was no sense to looking back when so much lay in front of them.

“Well, look at that… she’s standing already.”

“If you can call that standing,” Boone said with amusement. They both watched the wobbly, gangly calf topple back to the ground with a soft grunt, but she weren’t long in trying again. “She ain’t going to quit. You need to be thinking of a name for her.”

“Already have one in mind. Going to call her Lulu if that’s all right with you?”

Boone’s mouth opened but no words came out.

Coy’s next words were spoken softly as he drew Boone’s front to his and peered into his eyes. “I reckon since I named Maysie after my ma, we should name her after yourn. We’re keeping this one no matter what. We’ll sell her butter and milk and cheese to Bright’s and the hotel when the time comes, and we’ll sell some of her calves, but she’ll always be here as part of the family. That all right with you?”

Boone swallowed down a mouthful of saliva in an attempt not to get emotional. “Lulu,” he called over to the little heifer. “Yep… it’s a right perfect name.” Wrapping his arms around Coy, he squeezed him tight. “I hope my ma can see us wherever she be… and know just how happy her boy is. How happy you’ve made me.”

“I believe she can. I believe both our mas can see us and love us. Look around, Boone, at what we have—I’m pretty sure the Lord loves us too.”

“Yep, got no doubts he does, Coy, not a one.”

 

 

*

Boone and Coy's journey has come to an end, and it's a bittersweet day for me. I hope you found this story worthwhile enough that you leave it a review and a recommendation. As always, I appreciate the support, and enjoy hearing your thoughts whether good or bad. Thanks to my editor, Timothy, for his assistance. Cheers! Remember to follow me on my author's page.
Copyright © 2020 Headstall; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 90
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



48 minutes ago, Wesley8890 said:

I want to go to thier farm! Im gonna miss these guys. I guess its good tgat colt is forgiving will

It sounds pretty nice, doesn't it, Wes? It's amazing, the detail I can see in my mind's picture of that land and what they've built so far. I tried to give us a good sense of it without overdoing it, and risk making it boring.

The story has come full circle, and these guys have too much going for them to carry around hate and anger for Will Diamond. He isn't worth that, and Coy can let his pain for what his brother did in his short life, go. I have found that forgiveness is more for the person giving it than the one receiving it. Cheers, and thanks for being such a great supporter of my work, buddy. Your comments and sense of humor will always be something I look forward to. Gary. :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Truly loved this brief glimpse of what was coming for these two.  I hope they continue to find happiness and joy all their long long lives.  

This was truly well written and the pacing and character development was first rate.  I loved the descriptive nature of some of the chapters, just love nature and can't imagine how magnificent it was back then.

Do hope you decide to write another western, the genre can prove to be fertile ground for so many stories but is often untapped, especially when it come to gay content.

Bravo...:worship:

Yeah, it was just a glimpse, but we got to see just how much these two young men have accomplished in such a short period of time. Coy is one determined man once he sets his mind to something, and I think we can all see what kept Boone hanging around all those years. :) 

I see the landscape back then as magnificent too... untouched and vast... and unsullied by man. I couldn't survive without my little piece of paradise, and yes, I will admit to hugging trees upon occasion. :yes: 

I never know what's coming until it happens, but I can't see me not writing another western. I think the question will be which one of the ones percolating in my head. :unsure2:  

Thanks for the 'bravo', buddy, and thanks for leaving sich a wonderful review. I'm sure it will help me get new readers for this one. :D  Cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Seems Boone and Coy are settled into their new home. A place made of Boone's dream and Coy's vision. Thank you for sharing their story with us. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 5
Link to comment
57 minutes ago, Coastguard said:

My dear Gary...I so enjoyed this story, and although I’m sad it’s come to an end, I have your next one(s) to look forward to! I so enjoyed watching Boone and Coy grow into their love. I love how sweet they are together, and love how they’ve built a warm, loving life together. I can’t wait for your next story...is it in the works now? Take care, and be safe. I hear Ontario is pretty bad right now. Coral

Hi, Coral! I know you're a fan of westerns, so I'm pleased you enjoyed this one. I'm sad too it has come to an end, but that's the way of writing and loving your characters as I do. Boone and Coy became very real to me. :) 

I do have a story in the works that is more than half finished... has been that way for over a year... but I never know what's going to come next. It could be that one... I hope so... but it could be one that comes out of nowhere. 

Yeah, we are not doing well here in Ontario... I am trying to stay safe while I wait for my vaccine. :unsure: 

You be safe too, my friend, and thanks for your support of this story. Cheers! G. :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So Boone & Coy ride off into the sunset (theoretically speaking) as the curtain comes down on the story.

I guess all good things do have to come to an end, but this has been an excellent story and a very enjoyable read.

Mondays are not going to seem the same....

Thanks, Gary.

 

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

Gary, regardless of you saying this is the end, there's still room for a sequel sometime in the future. It was a touching finish and I loved the moon falling in the yard during the day line.

Thanks, DP, for mentioning that line. Boone has come to wear his heart on his sleeve and that line was Coy's way of saying he knows that fact well, and loves him for it. Glad you liked how it wrapped up, and I never say never. I have so many potential sequels to different stories in my brain. 

Your support has been awesome, my friend, and I thank you for it. Cheers! G. :hug: 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I agree....and am looking forward to the day, well done Sir!

Thanks, buddy. You just never know, do you? I've learned to accept what my muse wants me to write. There are some stories that just won't leave me alone, so we'll see. Thanks for the kind words and the support... and thanks for the awesome story review. It is much appreciated. Cheers! G. :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Seems Boone and Coy are settled into their new home. A place made of Boone's dream and Coy's vision. Thank you for sharing their story with us. 

Well said, bro... Boone's dream and Coy's vision. Exactly. They complement each other so well. Thanks for your support, as always, dugh. You rock. Cheers... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Ivor Slipper said:

So Boone & Coy ride off into the sunset (theoretically speaking) as the curtain comes down on the story.

I guess all good things do have to come to an end, but this has been an excellent story and a very enjoyable read.

Mondays are not going to seem the same....

Thanks, Gary.

 

Thank you so much, Ivor! You are very kind to have read this and shown such support. It has been a wonderful journey for me as the writer, and that is in no small part due to the readers. My Mondays, too, will be missing something now... :( .

I must say I found it amusing you mentioned 'Promised Land' in your chapter comment on the previous chapter. I'd already had the title for this one, but I didn't want to say it at the time. 

Cheers, my friend, and stay safe. Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Headstall said:

.

I must say I found it amusing you mentioned 'Promised Land' in your chapter comment on the previous chapter. I'd already had the title for this one, but I didn't want to say it at the time. 

 

Dang! So I can't claim the credit for it.🙂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Dang! So I can't claim the credit for it.🙂

No, but you could claim to being physic... or very intuitive... :P 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

This was a really great story. I’m happy Boone and Coy found their happiness. I would love to see them again, Maybe they grow their family by taking in a foundling like Lee and Wes did for Dan. However, if the story is to permanently end here then it ended on a good note. Thanks for sharing. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

You have moved me to tears. Beautiful. I love the way past and present are joined here to make a promising future. How evil is buried and forgiven. How mother's love is remembered with love and new lives. And our two men right in the middle. You couldn't have given this story a better ending.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I never have the right words for the ending.  Glad to see they’ve realized their dream.  That community will be all the better with that farm. I’d love to see what they do with it a few years down the line.  They’ve got a whole lot of land and even though they’ve got a home built and a barn and even more animals, they’re only getting started.  
 

Also, Boone getting ready for some naked gun fighting had me smiling.  You know you’re loved when someone’s first instinct before anything else is to protect you. 
 

Great story Gary, and I thank you for sharing it as usual buddy.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chellebelle619 said:

This was a really great story. I’m happy Boone and Coy found their happiness. I would love to see them again, Maybe they grow their family by taking in a foundling like Lee and Wes did for Dan. However, if the story is to permanently end here then it ended on a good note. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks, chellebelle! It's great to hear your thoughts on this story. I believe Boone and Coy, being the good men they are, will have a positive effect on the community of Larkspur. They are making friends, like Lars and Red Hawk and his group, and are already selling products to the town. I have a story in my head that's related to this one, where Boone and Coy aren't the main characters, but we'll see how that goes. :)  In the meantime, we've had a good glimpse into their lives, and can feel their contentment. Yep, that is a good note to end on. Cheers, and thanks again... Gary.... :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, mayday said:

You have moved me to tears. Beautiful. I love the way past and present are joined here to make a promising future. How evil is buried and forgiven. How mother's love is remembered with love and new lives. And our two men right in the middle. You couldn't have given this story a better ending.

I'm so glad you were touched by this, mayday. The story ended up coming full circle, and I'm loving how you've put it here, with evil buried and forgiven. Hate takes a lot of energy, and Will is just a memory. It was time for Coy to make peace. Lulu was just one of many women who had a very tough life on the frontiers, and I wanted to tip my hat to her for not ending Boone's life before it began. She may not have been 'motherly' but she loved Boone, and he knows that. She would want to know her boy is happy. Maysie too, was not a bad woman at all, but she was god fearing, and with that comes narrow views and judgements sometimes. I like the way the guys have come to view their faith, knowing in their hearts they are loved. :) 

Your words are kind, my friend, and it means a lot you think so well of this ending. I think you know I always write from the heart, and my work, in my opinion, is never calculated. There are good folks and there are bad folks in this world, and life encompasses all of them. Cheers and much thanks... Gary.... :hug:  

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Sweetlion said:

This was without a doubt, another great piece by our own Gary @Headstall:hug:

Thanks, Leo. I appreciate you taking the time to say so. Cheers! :hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

I never have the right words for the ending.  Glad to see they’ve realized their dream.  That community will be all the better with that farm. I’d love to see what they do with it a few years down the line.  They’ve got a whole lot of land and even though they’ve got a home built and a barn and even more animals, they’re only getting started.  
 

Also, Boone getting ready for some naked gun fighting had me smiling.  You know you’re loved when someone’s first instinct before anything else is to protect you. 
 

Great story Gary, and I thank you for sharing it as usual buddy.  

Thanks, spikeman! Yes, they really are just getting started, but it's a damn good start. They still have much to do, but they've got a lot to be thankful for, especially being able to go to bed together every night in a comfortable home. 

Boone is still constantly amazed at how dedicated Coy is to this life, but I think it was something that deep down, he always knew the man was capable of. It's okay to wonder how he deserves such a partner. We know Coy wonders the same thing about Boone. :)

The fact is, it was a dangerous time, and I could picture Boone ready for some naked gunfighting. :P 

I'm always pleased when you take a journey with me, buddy, and I'm glad this little western didn't disappoint. Thanks for sharing your thoughts... and reviews are appreciated if you are so moved to leave one. Cheers... Gary.... :hug:  

  • Love 5
Link to comment

Since the previous chapter had me tearing up over Coy’s words to Boone, then I guess I should admit to all out crying today when Boone sighed to Coy, “You’re a gift from the Lord, I swear. I don’t know what I did in my life to deserve all I got—to deserve the likes of you—but I make sure to thank him everyday.”  And, yes, for anyone reading my comments and keeping score, my husband will have a very good evening!

What is especially lovely about this passage, is that it pays homage to each chapter’s bible verse. Boone and Coy’s life together is at its simplest about how two people come together and become one. I know I’ve said it before, but I loved every single minute of their story. 

Edited by 84Mags
  • Love 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..