Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jacob Finding His Way - 21. Chapter 21

(JOEY’S POINT OF VIEW)

Between the food flying in the air and throwing punches I was actually winning. I couldn’t believe I was actually winning. When I looked over at the others, they were getting their hits in too. I didn’t see Tom any where in the fights.

I heard the whistle blowing and through the corner of my eye, I saw the teachers trying to break the students apart. I threw off one of the linebackers and grabbed David, Chase, Ralph and the guys. We headed out one of the doors that wasn’t secured yet.

The football team got caught at the exit before they were able to escape. When I pulled Dennis off of the guy he was fighting, I was stunned to see who it was. Dennis actually was beating up Tom. He actually got into the fight against us.

I thought to myself that he is going to pay for that. One way or another I will make Tom regret the day he raised his hands in anger against us.

When we made it outside, we stood there out of breath. Knuckles bleeding and some ripped clothes, but no real damage. As we started walking off we tucked in our shirts.

The bell rang for fourth period as soon as we made our way back into the main hall. I headed off across the street to the ROTC building. When I took roll call, no one asked me where Jacob was at until I went into the outer office.

Major Moore seems to notice everything but never leaves the office. I often wonder, just like Jake, if he has cameras all over the building and parking lot.

“Joey I have not seen Jacob today. Did he come to school?”

“No sir he didn’t. He had court all day long.”

“What do you mean ‘court’ Joey?” The Major asked with obvious concern.

“He had to testify for the prosecution against the guy that shot up Austin High School when we were there.”

“That is still hanging around? I thought it was taken care of last year.”

“We thought so too until the District Attorney asked Jacob to testify in court today.”

“Well, I am glad that Jake decided to testify against that guy. He will be back tomorrow correct?”

“Yes Sir, he will be back tomorrow.”

I headed out of the outer office to the large classroom. We were outside again today. We were drilling the cadets in formation.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

When I got up from the ground and started running again, the guys were right on my tail. When I finally reached the street, I didn’t see the guys that were chasing me. I couldn’t believe this! Someone was actually trying to either kill me or at the least beat me up.

I found a police officer and told him what was going on. He escorted me back into the garage to get my car. I was kind of worried he was going to ask for my driver’s license, but he didn’t. I got into my car and headed off.

I looked at the time and saw that I could make it back to school in time for afternoon practice. When I drove into the upper parking lot, I saw the drill teams already in formation getting ready to drill.

I parked my car and headed inside. When I walked in, Joey was standing there. He smiled at me and went to the range. I don’t know how I am going to tell him about what happened in court and after court. I might just leave out what happen after court out. I really don’t want to worry Joey again.

I walked over to the office to begin working on a new segment I was putting in the newsletter. It is an opinion segment. This is where a topic is picked out and I talk to several cadets and get their thoughts on the issue. This time is going to be the election between Bush and Clinton.

As I sat down at the desk, the door flew open and Major Moore walked in. he looked at me and walked into his office. He didn’t say a word at first. Then all of a sudden he called for me. I walked into the office to see what he needed.

“Jacob I know I leave a lot on your door step. I just like to talk things out when I need to make a decision. You may be in high school, but you have a mind of a lot older and wiser person.

The reason I called you in was to ask your opinion on a matter. Do you think we have a good chance on getting anything in Brigade Staff this year?”

“Major Moore, our Sergeant Major is too young and our Battalion Commander is still stunned still he got the position. By the time he settles into the spot, it will be too late. As far as the Sergeant Major, there is always next year for her.”

“I am truly thinking about removing her from the Sergeant Major slot. I want her to have the experience of the board, but at a heavy cost. What do you think about that?” the Major inquired.

“I really think it is a bad idea. First of all we have no one that can really do any better than her. Second, by pulling her it will pull down morale of the unit. Keep in mind; no one blames you or Col. May for what happen to her in the battalion commander slot. She was simply a tenth grader in a senior position.

You have the say in the promotion of that slot. If you take it from her, others will think they could loose their positions for seemingly no reason at all.”

“I agree with you Jacob. I just do not know what to do. I really want to get brigade staff this year. It has been a dry spell for us on that. Plus the points it gives us to get the district trophy again.”

“Why don’t you get Loraine to help out Fierro? She is smart and I believe the reason you pulled her was to keep her drilling the drill team. It would have been too much for a one cadet to handle.”

“That is true on that matter. Loraine will not help me out on this. She is angry and feels that she should have given her the position. By me going to her and asking for the help, it makes her case. I am not saying she will do it, but I think if she found out I needed the help, she will go out of her way to make Fierro not succeed.”

“Major Moore why don’t we put up a mock promotion board for Fierro and drill him on everything he might be asked. That way we can get him ready for the board. Isn’t there tapes of the brigade promotion boards around here?”

“Yes, there are, Jacob. That is a very good idea. I leave that up to you to get it done. I will let Fierro and Susie know about it.”

I was excused with tapes at hand. I wasn’t really that happy I have another job to do. As I was walking out, Sergeant Haney called me over.

“Jake tomorrow is our first uniform day. I need to know what you are missing from your uniform.”

“I have all my ribbons, shooting badge, star and the wreaths for A and B honor roll plus the entire uniform including shoes, Sir. Are we wearing Class A or Class B tomorrow?”

“We will be wearing Class B tomorrow. I heard you bought your own shoes and they are patent leather. That is fine for you to wear since you are an officer now. Just during the DAI inspections you need to wear the ones we issued you. I have your Captain rank for the hat and shirt, as well as the drill team and rifle team ropes.”

“Thank you sir I almost forgot the rank. The rope of each team that is to be worn around the shoulder of the cadet is only for members of the team.”

“Major Moore has instructed me to award you with them as well. He feels you are on the teams. You don’t need to be drilling or shooting to have the privilege on wearing them.”

“Thank you Sir, I will wear them with pride.”

I walked off with a big smile on my face. I only had to wait a few minutes for Joey to come out. He had his entire uniform with him. I kind of laughed at him when I saw him struggling with everything he had in his hands. I went over and helped him out.

We walked over to the car and to my surprise, Chase was waiting for us.

“Hey buddy what is up? I am glad you found the car with out a problem.”

I smiled slugging him on the arm. We threw the stuff in the trunk of the car, at the same time I tossed the keys over to Chase for him to drive. Joey gave me puppy eyes so I asked for the keys back from Chase.

“Joey please just don’t kill us. I want to live to see another day” I teased.

We all laughed as Joey got behind the wheel of the car. On the way home they were asking me about court. I told them about the way it went and the questions. Then I finally told Joey what I didn’t really want him to know.

“The defense attorney was a dirty dog even for an attorney to say the least. He tried to make the jury think I was the criminal not his client. He tried to twist my words around and then when that wasn’t working he used a new approach.

I don’t know how he knew, but he knew. He tried to say I was a liar because I am gay. I didn’t tell the truth to the court because when Alejandro tried to shoot me in front of your house, I said I was leaving a friend’s house. He said I couldn’t be believed because not only I am gay, but I lied about you being my boyfriend.”

I was looking at Joey when I was talking. His face really didn’t change as I was telling the story. He was looking straight ahead on the road. Then he finally spoke up.

“Jake don’t worry about it, I don’t care if anyone knows that I’m gay. You are the one that is still afraid of what people say about you being gay.”

We went into a long talk on the rest of the way home and into the house when we got there. I wasn’t afraid of being gay, just afraid of people’s reaction to me being gay. We still don’t live in a world that accepts us without feeling repulsed by us. We went back and forth on the issue, but neither of us is willing to give up ground.

I decided to let it go before it turned into a big argument. When I finally decided to just let it go, I already had dinner cooked and on the table. We changed the subject to what had happened at lunch that day.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. First of all this feels like Austin all over again. What is up with jocks in these schools? Are they so afraid of gay people that they have to rid the earth of them?

Then finding out that Tom not only got into the fight but he fought against us. What in the world is going on in his mind? We took him into our very close knit group. By doing so, we took him with us everywhere and this is how he pays us back. There needs to be some kind of payback.

After finishing up with dishes, Joey and I went up to our room. We had to get our uniforms ready for tomorrow. I helped Joey out first on his. Everything on the uniform has to be measured. A certain inch above the pocket went all the ribbon’s, a certain amount of inches in the pocket area goes the medals you earned, and etc. When we were done with Joey’s uniform, I started on mine.

Right as I put on the rank on my uniform, Joey was surprised. “Jake why didn’t you tell me you were promoted to Captain?”

“I thought I did tell you Joey. Plus this tells me that you don’t read my newsletter like you say you do.” I jabbed Joey on the side and he laughed.

“Sorry I was just busy with the team and my Company I really didn’t have time to read the newsletter. So we are both Captains, that is cool man.”

“That is true and now we get the salute from the other cadets.” I laughed as I put away the polish kit.

We went to bed cuddled in each others arms. When the alarm went off in the morning, I didn’t want to get up. I was so tired due to the restless night I had. I didn’t sleep well because I felt bad not telling Joey everything that happened to me yesterday.

I pulled myself out of bed and walked into the bathroom. After having a relieving piss, I jumped into the shower. A few minutes later the shower curtain opened and Joey came in. I was surprised that Joey decided to take a shower with me. It isn’t our normal routine. Don’t get me wrong, Joey’s body I would love to see naked every morning.

I moved up to him and wrapped my hands around his body. As I held Joey close I said; “By the way, handsome, Happy Birthday to my very special baby! You are the cutest guy on this planet and gets even cuter as the years go by.”

Joey’s face turned from surprise to pleasure and he started kissing me. I couldn’t keep my hands off of him. It felt as if he has been going to the weight room or something. His muscles were more defined than before. My dick got hard instantly when I felt his chest and arms.

We both wanted to get off with one another in the shower. But we knew there wasn’t enough time to do so. So with our dicks hard, we got out of the shower and dried off.

Both of us got dressed in the room at the same time. When Joey was done dressing all I could do is stare at him. I loved the way the uniform fit to his body. The shirt just clinched on his chest, not tight, but just right to see he has a built chest. Going down to his pants, I was on cloud nine. The green fabric flew evenly down his legs to the shoes. When he turned around it hugged his bubble butt just right. I was starting to get jealous about others seeing my Joey dressed in uniform. He was one hot babe that any girl (or guy) would kill for.

We walked down the stairs for breakfast. As we reached the kitchen, Chase turned around and gazed at the two of us. We sat down and ate and then headed out.

Once we were at school, we walked into the ROTC building. There was no practice of course for the teams that morning. In the afternoon there will be, but not throughout the day. Still, I was surprised to see the class room filled. As I looked around the class room, it was all officers. The only NCO I saw in the class room is the cadet sergeant major.

Joey and I walked to the back and sat down. In didn’t know if there was a mandatory meeting or just the officers hanging together. I decided to find out what was up. I got up and walked over to Major Moore’s office.

When I got to the door, the entire battalion staff was in his office. Nothing was being said, but they were just standing there. Major Moore looked up and saw me and then waved me into the office. I walked in and stood behind the S-2.

Major Moore explained to us what he was expecting from his Battalion Staff this year again. He then told the Battalion Commander about the mock board that he and the Sergeant Major will have to go in front of in order to get them ready for the real thing. If he or Susie had any questions regarding the mock board to ask me about it at any time!

We headed out to the classroom. As we made our way out, Fierro brought the officers to attention. The Battalion Staff stood in front of the room as Fierro started talking. Since I wasn’t really part of the Battalion Staff, so I didn’t know where I was supposed to be. I started walking back to my seat with Joey when Major Moore stopped me. He leaned into my ear and whispered:

“You belong up front with the Battalion Staff. You may not have a position on the board, but you are part of the Battalion Staff. Go and stand before the Sergeant Major but after the S-4 please Mr. Hernandez.”

He let go of my arm and I walked up front and stood where he asked me to. Cadet Lt. Col. Fierro talked about what Major Moore told us in the office. In this class, the higher ranking cadets run the show. They get their footing from the instructors, but the lower ranking cadets get their orders from the higher ranking cadets.

I was surprised to see each of the Battalion Staff speaks about their area and what needed to be done in the units. Neither the S-1 nor the S-4 spoke about the promotion board. So when the Sergeant Major finished speaking, Major Moore came up.

“We have a new edition to the Battalion Staff this year. As you can see there is an extra person standing here before you. I opened the new slot at the request of the DAI. All the other battalions in our brigade have been using this slot now for years. You won’t be asked about it in inspection, but you and the other cadets will respect the position. Cadet Capt. Jacob Hernandez is now our Intelligence Officer. Cadet Capt. Hernandez please explain to the officers of our Battalion about what you are changing this year.”

I stepped forward and explained to them about the promotion board and how it will work. It looked like they liked the idea. I told them why we felt it was a needed for board to have. I also told them it would help out on getting some of our NCO’S involved in the newsletter. Right now it is just me and one other cadet. I would like to have more writers on staff to give differing points of view.

After I was done, we were released from the meeting. I found out and told Joey that these meetings happen every Tuesday morning no matter what.

Joey and I caught up with Chase and David and headed to grab breakfast. When we got out of the line, we saw Ralph and the guys eating. We headed over to the table and sat down with them. As we were just sitting there eating, the football team came up behind us. I didn’t even hear them when they came up.

“Look, here is the table where the faggots sit at.” The entire team laughed when Matt, one of the line backers spoke up.

I looked up at Matt and the rest of them. “Why don’t you guys just go to your area and just leave us alone. We don’t want any trouble with you.”

“Look faggot I heard what happen to you in court yesterday. My girlfriend’s father is on the jury. They are going to vote for the guy just because your faggot ass deserved to be killed.” Frank, one of the rushers said with an evil grin on his face.

At first I didn’t say anything. I didn’t want to get into this with them. Plus what a small damn world this is. Just my luck that one of the football players some how knows someone on the jury. I am SO fucked now here at school.

“You know what Frank I don’t care what your cunt of a girlfriend’s father told you. Get the fuck away from this table before you regret ever opening your mouth.” I said with disgust in my voice.

“What the hell did you call my girlfriend you damn fag?” Frank was glaring down at me as he was picking up a tray off the table.

“You heard me Frank or were my words too big for you? You football players are known to be as dumb and stupid as people say you are.” I got up and stood right in Franks face. “You have been hit one too many times on the field. You should tell the coach to bench you due to becoming more stupid by the second” I said with total distain flowing with my words.

Right as Frank was about to throw a punch. One of his football buddies caught his fist in mid air to stop him. The coach of his team just walked in and was walking towards us.

“What seems to be the problem over here? I have my entire football team in one place. What do I owe this to?” As the coach was talking he saw Frank lowering his fist.

I think Frank knew he was caught. So he had no choice but to answer the coach. “These faggots do not belong here at this school sir. I was just telling them that.”

“What right do you have to say who belongs and who doesn’t belong at this school? Plus, how do you even know….?.... forget that. I don’t care what preference of love these students like. Just leave them alone. Do I make myself clear on this matter?” the coach said, staring at each of his football players as he spoke!

“Coach it is just not right having two guys in love with one another. It is just plain gross. We need to send a clear message this won’t be going on at this school.” Matt spoke up while the rest of the team nodded their heads to what he had said.

“You know I am starting to think this kid is right.” He pointed at me as he spoke. “Some of you have been hit way too many times on the field. That could only explain how stupid you are being.” The coach looked around before he continued. “In the past you have had gays on the team and shared the locker room with them. Showered with them and went out drinking with them. Because you guys just didn’t know that they were gay made the difference. Leave these boys alone as of now on.”

The coach walked off still glaring at his football team. They started to walk away as well. For some reason I didn’t think this was the end of it. At the same time I was getting angrier with Tom. He just stood there and agreed with the idiots. The guy is gay and he just stands there and agrees with his teammates.

As the bell rang, Joey and I started walking to our lockers. Joey was worried about what just happened. I told him he had nothing to worry about. But he said I was wrong because the battalion commander and some of the other drill team members heard the entire thing.

All through my morning classes I couldn’t think of nothing except what Fierro and the rest are telling the instructors. I figured Joey and I are screwed. When we walk into class today, he will demote us and maybe go as far as asking us to drop the class.

Simply put, those that take this class go into the armed forces. The law is clear about gays in the military. I wasn’t going to go into the military, but Major Moore grew up in a different time. He might just execute the laws on the book.

During lunch neither Joey nor I spoke that much. The guys saw that we were thinking a lot about something, but had no idea what. We didn’t see the football team at lunch. That was good for both of us.

Once the bell rang, Joey and I headed across to ROTC. We walked in put down our books and went to the lower parking lot. During uniform days, we formed outside in company formation and did roll call. After roll call was done, the Company Commander would fill out his attendance roster and then prep his Company for inspection.

Since I was Battalion Staff I wasn’t in formation at all. I just stood there watching as Major Moore on Joey’s right hand side and the platoon commander on his left hand side went down the squads for inspection.

Once the inspection was complete we marched back to the building information. Sgt. Haney took over the class with a report from Major Moore on what was caught wrong in the inspection. Sgt. Haney was to go over it with the Company as a whole.

While he was doing that, Major Moore asked to speak with me and Joey. When I got up, I knew this was it. He knew about us and he was going to demote me and Joey.

When we walked into the office the football coach was there. For sure it was over for me and Joey. I looked over at Joey and he looked like he was thinking the same thing. We stood in front of Major Moore’s desk at attention and waited for him to speak.

“Gentlemen, please take your seat. Something has come to my attention through your fellow cadets. I asked Coach Baker to be here because he saw some of what happened in the cafeteria this morning. I would have had the cadets that brought this up to my attention in here too, but I couldn’t get them out of class.” Major Moore was just looking at me then Joey as he spoke.

“Look I do not care what is going on in your personal lives. Joey, from day one when you came I heard about what had happened to you at your old school and the reason behind it. I didn’t care then and I don’t care about it now. I kind of thought there was something going on between the two of you. I don’t care to know if there is or isn’t. Again it is your personal lives and none of my business.

I just don’t want to lose either of you two now as the school year moves on. Both of you are in leadership positions I cannot just fill them in a blink of an eye. Plus I have plans for the both of you for the next year.

So I need to know if I am going to have a problem with you guys and the football team. They are big guys but you guys won’t sit back and take anything from anyone.”

I was stunned to say the least. I couldn’t believe Major Moore was so laid back on this issue. Still it made me happy he was.

“Major Moore as long as they don’t start anything with us we have no problem with them. We really have no dealings with the football team anyways.” I said with a quiver in my voice.

“I will make sure my football team stays away from you guys.” Coach Baker said to us while looking at Major Moore. “I just need to know something here. I think they were figuring something out about Tom. Should I be looking more at Tom for his safety or is he ok? He hasn’t been the same since he stopped hanging with you guys and started dating Heather. It seems as if he isn’t happy at all.”

“Coach Baker I won’t tell you a thing about Tom. He feels he covered himself enough by dating Heather. I figure as long as he continues to date her, he will be ok.” Joey said with a smirk on his face.

“The only problem is that he isn’t happy at all any more. The result of that is, he isn’t playing good football anymore.” Coach Baker said with strong feeling in his voice. “I know you guys saw last year we won the last five games of the season. It happened after he started hanging with you guys. He was happy and played ball at a high level.”

I looked over to Major Moore then to Coach Baker. “I figure our winning attitudes rubbed off on Tom last year.” I said with a chuckle. “We will go over to his house in the next couple days and talk to him. We will see if we can help him out and get him back to winning.”

The coach was happy as well as Major Moore. We walked out of the office with one less weight on our shoulders. Joey was called to the front of the class to give his opinion of the inspection that day.

This was the first time I ever saw him so confident of himself. He spoke with authority and conviction. He told his Company he wasn’t too happy with the inspection but it was our first. We will get better and until then they will keep drilling. He wants their Company to be the best in the Battalion.

The rest of the day went by quick. Before we knew it we already had dinner and in front of the television set watching “Home Improvement”. Joey was leaning on me just staring into space. I knew what he was thinking about.

I got up and headed to the kitchen. When I came back I had a cake with candles on it. Chase, David and I started singing happy birthday to Joey. He was so happy he had tears coming down his face. He blew out the candles and Chase cut the cake.

We sat there eating cake while Chase and David gave Joey his gifts. He unwrapped the gifts and was happy on what he got. Chase bought Joey this leather jacket he was looking at and drooling over for months and David bought him the boots to go with the jacket.

Then I handed him my gift. He looked at me and then down at the box. Joey unwrapped the gift and waited for a few minutes before he opened it. A couple months ago he was looking at this chain at the mall. He really wanted it, but thought it was too expensive.

Joey finally open the box and just stood there staring at the chain. He then picked it up and turned it inside out. I had it in graved for him.

“WITH ALL MY LOVE, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE MY TEDDY BEAR!”

He started to cry and then hugged me for a while. When he was done crying he got up and sat between my legs. He asked me to put it on for him. I clasped the ends together of his necklace around his neck.

“I will never take this off! I love you so much Jake, thank you!” Joey said through teary eyes.

“This weekend is going to be the party for you and you will get one more gift from us guys. So be ready for some fun and more presents.”

Joey just looked up at me and I leaned down to kiss him again. We sat there the rest of the evening pigging out on cake and watching television. Around ten we all headed off to bed for the night. Joey and I just laid there snuggled up against each other. I knew I was the luckiest man alive to have him by my side.

On Thursday Joey and I decided to go and pay a visit to Tom at his house. When we drove up to his house we just sat in the car for a few minutes. We wanted make sure there weren’t any other cars on the street that we recognized. If there was, we wouldn’t know if any of the football players are there or not. Then we decided to just go up and knock on the door and talk to him.

We walked up to the door and knocked. We waited and knocked again. A few minutes after we knocked on the door, Tom’s mom answered. She looked at me then Joey.

“Hey boys it has been a while since I have seen you guys down here. Come on in, Tom just ran to the store to pick up a few things for dinner.” We sat down on the couch in their living room. All the while, Tom’s mom was fussing over us. She was like that. “I was getting worried about you guys.

Since you guys came back from the trip, Tom has not been himself. I thought something went wrong on the trip. But Tom wouldn’t tell me anything. Please boys, do I have something to worry about?”

I looked at her and saw a worried look in her face. “No ma’am there isn’t anything to worry about at all! We had fun and no fights while we were in Disney World. Just school started and we all have different clicks we belong to. Your son is a football player and cannot hang out with the nerds from ROTC.”

“Look, Jake and Joey I know it is more then that. I know my son better then anyone. He was happier then, when he was with you and David. I know my son and who he loves. I have known probably longer then he has known. He keeps fighting it inside of him because of his father and the football team. He isn’t happy with this Heather girl. I love my son too much and I want him happy.” Tom’s mom said with even more of a sad look on her face while she was talking with us.

I tried to put her mind at ease. It just didn’t work. She knew that Tom was gay. She didn’t say it in those words, but she knew. I know now she knows about me and Joey as well. And that doesn’t bother her at all. She wants us to be her son’s friends.

While we were talking, Tom walked through the door. He looked over at us at first then went and put the bags away. A few minutes later he came back to the living room with cans of coke. We headed outside to the back yard.

I started out first. “Tom we are sorry for popping in on you like this. We just needed to sit down and talk to you away from school and your football team.”

Tom just stood there shaking his head but not saying a word or moving at all.

“Look Tom, you are going through something either all of us have gone through or is going through right now. We need each other to get out on the other side in one piece. I know you have to act the straight part in front of the football team. But you are doing it at a very high cost.”

I stopped, looking at Tom and still he wasn’t even looking at me in the face.

“Tom, David still really loves you. There isn’t a day that goes by that he doesn’t talk about you. Between you and me, I am tired of hearing it. By the look on your face in school and here I know you’re not happy either.

Just unburden yourself and let it go. You don’t have to act gay in public or show your affection to David. That is a girl thing, not a guy thing. When we are in public we act like guys, not wimps. Who cares what we do behind closed doors in our house. Here in redneck, west Texas, the people are still not ready for gay people showing their love in public. I only wish it was otherwise, but it’s not. So we still need to hide behind closed doors and live our realities in the shadows if we want to live to see another day.

It doesn’t mean though, that you can’t be happy. Go and see David at Joey’s and my house. It would make him happy and us as well. In fact we are throwing Joey his birthday party at Putt-Putt Golf and Games down on Montana St. this weekend, and you’re invited.”

Tom finally started looking at me and smiled. “Thank you guys for that. You don’t know what it means to me to know you are still my friends after what I have done.”

“We will always be your friends until we die. Just don’t be the one sending us to the grave.” Joey joked as he patted Tom on the shoulder.

We talked a little more with Tom but never mentioned the fight or Heather. The doorbell rang and Tom’s mom called for him. He went in and a few minutes later came back out in a hurry. The look on his face was a look of death.

“Hey guys could you please leave when I pull the football players downstairs. Please? I will owe you big time.”

We had no problem doing that and told Tom so. He went back in to take the football players down to his basement. We waited about five minutes and headed back out through the front door.

I bet you right then and there that Tom regretted sealing off the gates in his back yard. We could have simply walked out the gates rather than through the house.

As Joey and I were walking to the front door, Tom’s mom stopped us.

“Hey boy’s where you going? Tom is downstairs with the football team.”

“We have to be going ma’am, but do thank Tom for us please. Also thank you ma’am for the soda.” I said as we reached the front door.

Tom’s mom just looked at us, but she knew. She was no dumb lady at all. We got to our car as quickly as possible. We jumped in and drove off as quickly as possible.

On the way home Joey kept asking about his birthday party. He is very happy we were throwing his party at Putt-Putt. He loves to ride the go carts and playing a round of golf. I think it is good exercise for everyone, even if we didn’t know how to play golf if our lives depended on it.

The next day at school during lunch I selected a few officers from the Battalion to sit on the mock board. We did our first practice run with Fierro and Susie. We made it as difficult as possible. They thought we were making it up.

Once lunch was over I headed back to the main building. As I walked in, the track and field team coach stopped me. He wanted to let me know I was going to run in four of the races this Saturday morning. I had no problem with it because it finished way before Joey’s birthday party. If it didn’t I would have said no.

The rest of the week went by quick. Before I knew it we were getting ready for Joey’s birthday party. I asked Chase to help out while I was at the school. None of them knew I was going to run in the school track meet this morning.

I arrived at the meet just in time before the meet started. This meet is being held at Andress High School this time. I walked over to my team on the field getting ready. The coach told me I was going to run the mile, sprint, the hurdles and the team event. I will be running clean up in the team event since I was the fastest runner. I really didn’t think I was, but what the heck.

The first race up was the mile. I lined up on the line with the other team runners. As in any other race, I fazed out the audience yelling for their school. The gun went off and so did we. I was in third as the race began. I started to gain speed and move into second then right on the tail from Irvin High School runner that was in current first place. I decided to pass him on the outside and take the lead.

By the time the first lap was done, I had a good lead on everyone. But there was still three more laps left to go. I kept running and thinking of my Joey and not realizing I was almost entire half of a lap ahead of the other runners. The only reason I realized I was in a huge lead was because the coach was pointing back to the other runners behind me. As I looked up at the clock and then back at the other runners, seeing I was beating them and even my best time in practice. By the final lap I knew I had it won. When I took first place in the mile, I was more then half of a lap ahead of everyone.

We waited to see what my time was. When it came down, I took the new district and maybe state best time in the mile.

There was really no time to celebrate; I had to get to the hurdles. It was an easy race for me. Just like the mile I won it easily. Then the sprint I took with no problem at all.

The race I really knew I would have to fight for is the team event. By the time I got the prong, the other clean up runners had a good head start on me. No one thought we could take this race. I just put everything out of my mind and just ran as if there was no tomorrow. I started passing other runners. Then I got right with the first place runner. We were leg on leg, going the same speed. Both of us were giving it all we could on the final quarter of the lap!

I saw the finish line right in front of us. Neither of us had a leg up on the other. I dug in even more and pushed even harder. I didn’t even realize the other guy stuck out his chest as we crossed the finish line. I was so damned pissed at myself for not doing the same thing.

As I slowed down running around the track to catch my breath I just could not believe it. I kept kicking myself in the butt for not putting my chest out like he did. They announced it was going to be a photo finish. The judges were looking at several photos before they made there call.

Then they announced they had a ruling. The winner of the team event is Newman High School. I couldn’t believe we won. How in the world did we win? The other runner clearly put his chest across the field. While they were protesting the ruling of the judges, they showed us the pictures. Clearly in the pictures I had my foot way across the finish line then his and his chest.

As we were getting ready, we all celebrated our wins that day. We have several races to win in order to take district. But the coach told us if we kept winning like we did today, we would take district easily.

As I was driving home, I couldn’t believe I was able to run like that. I never thought of myself as a fast runner. I never put that much in the practices. But I did a pretty good job out there today.

As I drove up to the house, Chase had a lot of the stuff outside already. I walked up to the front door as Chase was walking out.

“Hey man, I started to think you weren’t going to come back. Where in the world were you all morning long?” Chase started asking as he was pulling out another cooler.

“Chase, I am sorry man. I know I said I would be right back, but I got tied down. Thank you though for helping me, well for doing all the work.”

“No problem at all. You guys are my best friends. I just was getting worried about you, that’s all. Where were you that took all morning long?”

“I was just busy with some other personal things I had to handle.”

I walked in and went up stairs without running into anyone else. I took a quick shower and got dressed for Joey’s party. When I got back down stairs David was there with a couple of his friends and a truck. They already had the truck loaded and ready to go.

Joey was in the kitchen when I found him. I grabbed a hold of Joey and hugged him before anyone came into the kitchen. I leaned down and kissed him.

“I know I have said this before, Happy Birthday my love. I love you so much! I said to Joey with a big old grin across my face.

Joey just kept holding me ass we stood in the kitchen. I myself never wanted let him go.

Once every one arrived at the house, we all headed out the door to Putt-Putt. When we arrived, Ralph and the other guys were waiting for us. All together there were about fifteen of us. We didn’t have that many friends, but the ones we did have are true friends.

We had so much fun through the day. We kept getting in the bumper cars over and over again. Chase and David cooked the hot dogs and hamburgers for us. We played several rounds of miniature golf. Just not by the rules of the game, our own rules we were making up as we went along. This made it a whole lot more fun than just hitting the ball.

Almost halfway through the part Tom and his mother actually showed up. He came over to me and Joey and wished Joey a happy birthday. So did Tom’s mom. She handed Joey a gift as she walked over to the table of food.

(TOM’S POINT OF VIEW)

My mom was yelling at me to wake up. I wasn’t too happy about not able to sleep in. I had to mow the lawn and clean up the back yard as well. When I was done doing that my mom was waiting for me inside! I knew by the look on her face she wasn’t happy with me.

“Tom, what is going on with you and Joey and the guys? It seems as if you guys are no longer friends since school started.”

“Mom, it’s different at school between them and me. I am on the football team and we don’t mix with those in the ROTC program like them.”

“I thought I raised a leader not a follower. You are allowing others to tell you who you can and cannot be friends with. Tom, that just isn’t right at all and you know it! Plus I never want to see what I saw on Thursday again. When your friends from the football team came over, you snuck Joey and Jacob out like they were trash. If I ever see you do that again, I will make you quit that team! Do I make myself clear on this point?” My mom glaring at me as she talked!

“Yes ma’am I will never do that again. I didn’t know they were coming over that afternoon. I had already invited the guys from the team.”

My mom just looked at me. My excuse looked like it got her even madder then she was already.

“Look, Joey invited you to his birthday party correct?”

“Yes ma’am he did!”

“I went ahead a bought him a gift for his birthday. We are going to go to his party and have fun. You will be there for your friend on his day!”

I looked at my mom and agreed with her. That is one thing you don’t do with my mom, is argue with her. I went up stairs and showered to clean off the sweat and dirt off my body. Once I was dressed and ready to go I met my mom downstairs at the door.

We got in the car and drove to Putt-Putt. When we arrived I was nervous as can be. I haven’t talked to David since the week before school. I know I am going to run into him here and I just hope I don’t have to talk to him.

As we walked up and told the cashier what party we were part of. The cashier let us in without asking for payment. We walked around the place until we saw Jacob and Joey standing by a table of food.

We walked up to them and greeted them. I wished Joey a happy birthday and my mom gave him the gift. We walked over to the table of food. I prepared myself a plate and went and sat by my mother.

I saw David sitting at the other table eating. He only looked at me once but never came over. I figure he saw I was with mother and he didn’t want to embrace me in front of her. As I was looking at David, my mother looked over in the direction I was looking.

“Son, you should go over there and mend the bridges with your friend David. You guys were such good friends!”

“I know mom. We will fix it one day!”

We finished eating and just stayed in the background for a couple of hours. Finally my mom asked me if I was ready to go home. I said yes and we headed out. We found Joey and Jacob and told them we were going. My mom and I wished him a happy birthday again and left. As we were leaving, I looked one more time at David. I really do miss David a lot. I only wish we could be together like we were.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

When we were coming to the end of the party, gifts were exchanged. Joey liked every gift he got. He was like a little kid in a candy store. It made me so happy to see him so happy.

We loaded the truck back up and headed home. I asked Chase to blind fold Joey for me about a block away from the house. At first Joey didn’t like it but went along with it. When we drove up to the house, we helped Joey out of the car.

Once we stood in the drive way of the house, we took the blind fold off. Joey just looked at what was parked in the driveway. Then he looked back at me.

“You got to be kidding me Jake, YOU GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME MAN!” Joey kept saying over and over again.

I bought him a new F-150 Super Cab for his birthday. He always wanted one, so I got it for him. He ran to the truck and just looked at it. I walked up to him and handed him the keys to HIS truck. Since Ralph and the other guys were there, we couldn’t hug or kiss each other. I knew he wanted to though. The look on his face and in his eyes said it all.

He unlocked the door and jumped in. Chase walked around to the other side and got in with Joey. Joey backed out of the driveway and drove down the street. The rest of us started unloading the truck. By the time we were done unloading the truck and had it all in the back yard, Joey drove up.

He was so happy with his truck he couldn’t contain himself. We all walked in and ate more cake in front of the television like little old ladies. I actually fell asleep in front of the television.

I didn’t even know I had done that until Joey shook me awake. The guys were leaving and Joey wanted me to know. I said my goodbyes and headed upstairs. I was dead on my feet. The running took it out of me this morning and it was catching up with me big time.

Once I lay down on the pillow, I was out. I didn’t even hear or feel Joey come in and go to bed. When I woke up the next morning I felt bad for what I did. I wanted to make love to Joey for his birthday. All I did was fall asleep like a little old man.

Joey wasn’t in bed with me when I woke up. I got up, did my bathroom routine, dressed and went downstairs. Joey and Chase were gone. I didn’t see them anywhere in the house. I fixed myself a bowl of cereal and headed to the television room.

Around two, Joey and Chase walked in the door. They came in and sat down to watch television with me. Joey snuggled up against my chest for the rest of the evening. We headed to bed early because we had a busy day ahead of us.

The next morning when we arrived at school, the trophies we won at the track meet were on display in the walkway of the school. Everyone that walked by stopped and looked at the trophies. I even stopped and looked at the trophies.

We did our normal routine in the morning and headed to first period class. Right as the bell rang, the announcements started. They talked about the loss our football team had last Friday night. It was a close loss, but we still lost. Now that is three losses in a row. We need to start winning in order to have a better year then last year. They went on about school events and dances.

One of the last announcements was about the track team winning. I thought to myself why they wouldn’t lead with a winning team instead of a loosing team. I was in deep thought I didn’t hear them say my name. Then the students got louder when they announced that I broke the school and district best time in the mile. I was very close to breaking the state record as well.

Before I knew it, I was getting pats on the back. That’s when I realized what was going on. I looked over to Joey and he looked confused. I knew I was in trouble with him and Major Moore now. I thought I was going to be able to keep this a secret from everyone. Now the cat is out of the bag.

Joey and I couldn’t talk through the first three periods. Every time we had a chance to talk, someone came up and patted on my back or shook my hand. Finally at lunch we had a chance to talk.

“Jake, why didn’t you tell me that you are on the track team? I want to be there for you, in your corner, cheering for you when you run.”

“I really didn’t even think the coach was ever going to run me in any race Joey. Then he told me last Friday I was going to run in four of the races. I really didn’t think I was going to place in them. I didn’t want to have you out there early in the morning to watch me loose a race much less, four.”

Joey just shook his head. “I want to be there for you for everything. No matter if you win, lose or draw. I want to be there for you, Jake.”

“Ok Joey; I promise I won’t keep anything from you.”

We headed to the table and guys just pounded on the top of the table as we approached. We sat there eating and talking about the meet. I told them about the team event and how we barely won it by a foot.

Everyone was just listening to me as I talked about it. They all wanted to go out to the next meet. I told them it was this Saturday, but I didn’t know if I was going to race. They all chuckled and said of course I was going to race if the school wanted to win.

After lunch when we headed to ROTC I was waiting to see what Major Moore was going to say. I didn’t have to wait very long. He right away asked to speak with me in his office. As soon as I walked into the office, I saw both the football and track team coaches there.

“Jacob you did a great job out there last Friday. Why in the world didn’t I know you were on the track team son?” Major Moore said with a smile on his face.

Boy, have I been wrong about the Major on this one! He wasn’t against any of his cadets being on any other team. He was fine with it, just as long as the cadet didn’t drop the ball in his ROTC program while we were on the other teams.

The head coach to the football team was there on a different issue. Both of his running backs got hurt in the last couple of games. He needed to recruit someone with speed that could get off the line fast and down the field. I immediately deferred the request saying; “Coach, I have never thought of myself as a football player. I am too skinny and don’t really know the game at all. Plus, the way the football team thinks about me, I’d have no chance. Coach your team would kick my butt the minute I walk into those doors into the locker room. You know that to be true. I would like to help you, but I want to live as well!” Now, Coach, I don’t like to say ‘no’ to something without offering a possible alternative solution. Have you considered talking to my friend Joey? He’s got the build, the smarts and, I suspect, he’d have the moves with some practice and training.

“Jacob, perhaps you have a point. Could you find Joey and let me talk to him?” the coach inquired.

With the Major’s ascent, I went and found Joey. I told him about the talk I had with the Football Coach. He looked at me in deep thought as he considered what this all might mean. He agreed to talk to the coach, seeing as I had reported that Major Moore has no problem with a cadet being on another team.
“Jacob, do you really think I could be valuable to the football team?” Joey asked seeking assurance.

“Joey, you have the build and the smarts. Yes, I believe you could with some practice and training. I think you could make a real difference. Hey, look at it this way, the team is 0 and 2 so far. You can’t make their performance on the field any worse!”

Joey laughed and went into Major Moore’s office to talk to the coach.

(JOEY’S PERSPECTIVE)

When I got into the Major’s office, the coach shook my hand and asked if Jacob had lined out the situation. I told him that he had and that I was interested to hear what he had to say. The coach told me about his dilemma with injured players and how it was leaving a serious void on the team.

“Coach, I am still concerned about the team’s attitudes towards outsiders, particularly those in the ROTC program. We are looked at with distain, bordering on hatred. There have been accusations and threats. Why would I want to be on a team that doesn’t like me, let alone respect me?” I said, testing the attitude of the coach.

“Joey, let me assure you that you will not have any problems from the others on the team. They play for me and will do as I say or they won’t play at all. Would you please consider coming to practice and let us both see what might work?” the coach said, almost pleading.

I told the coach I will think about and looked over to Major Moore. He excused me and I headed out. When the bell rang I told Jacob what was going on. He laughed at first but then saw I was telling the truth. He told me to go for it. It wouldn’t hurt to try.

The rest of the afternoon I was stuck in thought again. Once the final bell rang, I thought, what the hell. I probably won’t get through the practices as the coach said.

When I made it to the field I saw the coach. I ran up to him and told him I would like to try out but I had to be sure that this wouldn’t adversely affect my obligations to the ROTC program. He assured me that I could do both.

I walked into the locker room with the coach. All eyes were on me the minute I walked in. At first nothing was said until I moved in further to get to an empty locker. Under their breath, they would say things to me. I just ignored them.

I thought to myself I was going to use their hatred to fuel myself. I was going to show them this faggot can not only play a man’s game of football but be better at it than them.

When we ran through the drills I couldn’t believe how hard it was. I thought only the NFL practiced like this. How did this team lose after warm up like this?

After we finished warming up the coach put his teams together. His offense and defense teams were on the field and I just watched them. The coach came up to me and told me to go in as running back. I didn’t know the plays, but he sent me in anyway.

When I got onto the field I went into the huddle. Tom gave the play but again I had no idea what all he meant. Tom pulled me to the side and told me to run as fast as I could, once the ball was hiked, twenty yards and turn around.

I stood there on the line waiting for the ball to be hiked. It seemed to take for ever for it to happen. When it did, I took off out of there. Once I reached twenty yards out, I turned around and saw the ball coming toward me. I caught it, to my surprise, and just kept running. I was in the in zone before I knew it.

I turned around and saw the offensive line yelling in approval. I didn’t even see the idiot coming at me on my left hand side. The next thing I knew my face was in the grass. I heard the coach yelling and screaming. As I was getting up I saw the coach pulling the guy that hit me by his helmet and yelling at him. He made the guy run the stadium for the late hit. He then turn around and told the defense line that I was off limits on being tackled. I didn’t have the right padding on yet.

I walked back over to the huddle. We ran drills on the field for almost an hour. Every time the ball was thrown at me I caught it and made a touch down. My speed was quick and no one could catch me.

After practice the coach called us to the locker room. I walked in and once again they were just looking at me. I ignored them and went to my locker. Pulled off the padding throw it in the locker I was using. Grabbed my bag and headed out the door.

Right as I was leaving the coach called me. I walked into his office to see what he needed.

“Joey, I want to offer you a spot on football team. You will be my starter in the running back position, son. Would you join the football team Joey?”

“Coach with all due respect the other guy’s don’t want me on the team! I make them very uneasy being here. I just don’t think they want me on the team, sir.”

“I don’t care what they want! They will do what I say or they are off the team. I want to win this year. I have the quarterback to do it. I just need a really good running back. I believe that is you, Joey.”

“Ok Coach, I would be honored to join the team.”

He handed me the play book and shook my hand. He wanted me to go back and take a shower. I told him it wouldn’t be a good idea. He never asked if the rumors were true, but I think he knew they were.

I walked out of the office and out the door of the locker room. I got to the student parking lot and met up with Chase and Jacob. They were just standing by my truck with a smirk of a smile on each of their faces. I kind of wanted to slap the smile off of their faces.

(JACOB’S PERSPECTIVE)

The rest of the week went by quickly. We had little time to get Fierro and Susie ready for the brigade promotion board. We were working very hard on that. As well getting our promotion board together was needed. We had a list of cadets up for promotions, but they were being held up because of no board yet.

During early morning I was at track team practice. I had classes through the morning and after lunch I was in the ROTC building getting my stuff done there. I am juggling several balls at one time and realized that nothing else considered, I’d have never been able to add football to my plate. I’m glad Joey took up that cause.

The football team was treating Joey like scum. Every day when he walked into the locker room they had played some kind of joke. Either his locker was plastered with naked pictures of guys sucking each other off or used up condoms. Things were written on his locker every day from faggot to Bible passages.

Joey showed me some of the Bible passages he found. They were pretty funny. The reason for that was that none of these guys are into church. Plus they are too stupid to understand the meaning of what they have written on the locker. Several of the passages were written wrong or didn’t make sense from what Joey told me.

(JOEY’S PERSPECTIVE)

As Friday night was approaching I was getting very nervous. I never played in front of a crowd and now, here I am. Plus the coach still hasn’t got me a full set of pads. Then I got my answer on Thursday about the pads.

The coach called me in and told me the school couldn’t afford to buy the pads for me in that the budget had been used. He pleaded with me to still stay on the team. I know better than to put my health at risk for a sports team that really didn’t want me there anyway.

That evening I went to the mall to the sports stores. The first store Chase, Jacob and I went into didn’t have any kind of football padding. By the time we were ready to give up, we found a fourth sports store in the mall. I was hoping for a miracle in the store.

When we walked in and told the sales rep what we were looking for he surprised me. They had the padding in stock and in the sizes I needed. The sales rep took us right to them. I tried them on and they felt right. I realized that the pads I was looking at were far superior to the loaners I had for practice and that they would protect me and still let me move enough to move and play as best as I could.

I went ahead and bought everything I needed for football. The next day when I showed up for practice the coach was surprised to see me there. When he saw me carrying the padding he had a smile on his face.

“Joey, I see that you did find the padding you needed. Thank you for buying it yourself. You don’t know what it means to have you on the team. Plus I promise you I will get the others to leave you alone.”

“No worries Coach, all is fine with me and the team. I am here to play football. If they don’t want to be my friend for what ever reasons, that is fine with me. All we need to do is work good on the field and the rest; who cares?”

The coach smiled and patted me on the back. I headed in and suited up for practice. Today’s practice was harder than the rest. I figured it was because the game was tonight and there was not practice in the afternoon.

(JACOB’S PERSPECTIVE)

I was going to take advantage of having no track practice in the afternoon. I needed to oversee the first promotion board. While I was looking over the board I was going to get the final touches on the next edition of the newsletter.

Next Tuesday was going to be the brigade promotion board. I really felt we had a good chance on not only getting on the brigade staff but to actually get brigade commander. As far as sergeant major we have a shot as well.

The day went by fast I couldn’t believe it. Joey was totally excited about the game tonight. All week long I kept telling him how much I loved being the one dating the starting running back of our football team. Friday during lunch I pushed him into the restroom stall kissing him up and down his neck.

Joey broke the kiss and looked in my eyes deeply and said; “Jacob we haven’t had sex in while. We have been too damn busy with school and stuff. How about after the game tonight we have sex?”

I looked, somewhat blankly, back at Joey with this having come out of nowhere.

“I will even put back on the football uniform for you!” Joey offered.

“Pads and all Joey, you promise me?” I said with excitement in my voice.

“Pads and all Jacob; I promise.

We kissed some more and just as we were getting into the passion of the kiss the door opened. We stayed quiet to let who ever walked in do his business and leave. As soon as he left I started kissing Joey again.”

We kissed one last time and left the restroom. We couldn’t be late for practice in ROTC. Major Moore and Sgt. Haney would have our butts in a sling for that.

I worked with the Battalion Commander to get him ready for next week. The Sergeant Major decided to work alone for the last week. I had no objection to her doing so as long as Major Moore knows.

The rest of the afternoon went fast for me. I only had a couple of hours before I had to return to school for the football game. I wanted to be there watching and cheering Joey on the field. I went straight home with the guys and we all had dinner.

We decided to go to the game in Joey’s truck. On the way Joey drove but he couldn’t stop talking about the game and what it meant for us. At first I didn’t understand what he meant. Then he explained what he meant by his comment.

“Look Jake, we live in the state of Texas. In this state only real men can play football and do hard labor type of work. We, as gays, aren’t even considered men. Now if I go out there and the team starts to win, that will throw that theory out the window. Also it will prove we have just as much right as they do. We are men no matter whom and how we love.”

“That is true Joey, every word you’ve said. Man, we are just wearing off of one another. What you just said would normally have come from me.”

Chase laughed in the back. “Isn’t that the truth? I had to do a double-take to see who was talking at first. I thought Joey had his voiced changed.”

We all started laughing at what Chase said. Right then we drove up to the school. Joey jumped out at the entrance to the locker room. He grabbed his padding from the bed fo the truck. He had taken his padding home because he was afraid the others were going to destroy it.

(JOEY’S PERSPECTIVE)

When I walked in the locker room everyone got quiet. As I got to my locker, as always, the word ‘fag’ was written on the door. This time, when I opened it, a bucket spilled out this thick white stinky cream. Inside the bucket was my practice gear.

I just pulled out my gear and placed the bucket to the side. Didn’t say a word or even look around. I was not going to give them the satisfaction they are getting under my skin. I am going to show them I belong on this field as much as they do.

The coach walked out after we all were changed into our uniforms. He gave his speech about how important it was not to go down 0-3 at the beginning of the season. We have already two loses and that’s all he wants.

Everyone yelled in approval to what he said and started running out of the locker room. I ran out behind them. We got on the field and did our warm ups.

The coin toss was done and we lost. So our defense would be on first. I really didn’t pay much attention to what was going on at first. I looked up to the stadium to find my Jacob. He was where he said he was going to be. He had a big smile on his face when he saw me looking at him.

Then it happened; the defense kept them at three and out. It was our turn on the field. I ran out on the field for the very first time. I was nervous as can be! I was shaking in my shoes, sweating as if I had a water faucet in me I couldn’t turn off.

The play was called and we took our spots on the line. We didn’t get anything on the first down of the game. In fact our rusher got stopped with a loss of yards. The same thing happened on the second down. Then the play was called for a throwing play. We were three and twenty four on this down. We didn’t want to go three and out as well.

When Tom hiked the ball I exploded off the line didn’t even look back. Once I did look back I saw the ball in the air. It looked like Tom threw it even further than where I was at. I stepped on it even faster to catch up with the throw. Once I caught the ball, I juggled it, but got control of it. When I was finally tackled, it was at the eighteen yard line.

The crowd was going crazy on that play. When we were in the huddle Tom called for passing play. He said the coach told him that the other team is thinking run so we are going to pass.

As with the play before, I blasted off of the line, but this time I didn’t run down the sideline. About ten yards out I turned into the field to my right. The ball was thrown perfectly to me. As I caught it, I ran it right in for the touch down.

I couldn’t believe what I just done! I had never played the game and thought I would never be good at the game. But here I am, making a touchdown for my school football team. As I was walking off the field the crowd in the stadium was yelling.

Jacob and I made up a signal for me to tell him I loved him while I was on the field. Only he and I knew what the signal meant. As I looked up in the stadium for Jacob, I smiled and brushed my right eyebrow bringing my hand down to my heart.

The team still stayed away from me after that play. I couldn’t believe they are that stupid. I didn’t even care because I was doing what I was asked to do.

The rest of the game was a blur for me. I know I was in every play when our offensive line was on the field. I carried the ball for two hundred and eighteen yards with two touch downs. At the end of the game the score board read home team twenty seven, visiting team six. We won our first game of the season. I won’t sit here and say it was all because of me. They could have found another running back to do what I did.

When I walked into the locker room with the team, the coach congratulated the team on their first victory and said many more to come. As he went back into his office the locker room stayed quiet. None of the team even wanted to take off their shirt in front of me, which even includes their uniforms.

So I grabbed my practice gear, threw it in a plastic bag I took out of the trash, put everything in my back pack and walked out of the locker room.

When I walked out, the stadium was still full of people. I couldn’t believe it was taking them this long to exit out of the stadium. I walked out of the gate and waited for Jacob to pick me up. I already was waiting for over twenty minutes and still no Jacob.

So I decided to head on over to the parking lot. Sure enough Jacob was with David, Chase, Ralph and the guys just talking. I got up to them and they all told me I had a good game. I told them thanks all at once.

Jacob looked at me then spoke up. “What’s up Joey? Are the football team showers not working anymore?” He laughed as the rest of the guys did.

I glared at him: “You know why I didn’t take a shower. The other players were being asses. I stink and want to get out of these stinky clothes so can we please get to the house?”

Jacob just looked at me for a few seconds and then jumped in the truck. We told the guys to follow us. Once I cleaned myself up we could go out and have some fun.

Once I was showered and ready to go we headed out. We decided to go to the bowling alley and play some pool. This was a place we high school students could hang. Of course they don’t serve us alcohol. I wasn’t in that scene anyways so it didn’t matter.

We grabbed the next available pool table and split into teams. We played for a couple of hours until we got bored. We decided to go down and bowl. So we rented shoes and bowling balls and headed down.

(JACOB’S PERSPECTIVE)

We were having so much fun we didn’t hear the guy’s sneak up behind us. I heard someone clear their throat so I looked. At first I thought we were making to much noise then I realized they were our ages.

“Hey you don’t know who and the hell we are do you?” The taller guy of the group said.

I looked at him and I couldn’t place him. I know I have seen him somewhere, but I just don’t know where from.

“You think since you don’t go to school at Austin any more that you are safe. We told you two years ago to watch your back. Now look, we found you guys alone. The coach or teachers aren’t here to save your ass this time.”

I finally placed the creep. He was a freshman football player from Austin High School. He was part of the group that was ragging on Joey and me. I couldn’t believe this dude couldn’t just let it go.

I looked over the rest of the guys and started placing most of them. A few of them I never saw before. I knew there was going to be ‘trouble in Houston tonight’.

“Look guys why don’t you just go and do what ever you were planning on doing when you came in here tonight. Just leave us alone. We are not doing anything to you.” I said as I was scanning the crowd of guys in front of us.

“Fuck you and your gay lover. We told you that we were going to get you back one of these days. The day has come for pay back.” The same tall guy said.

“Just fuck off and let us be, asshole!” I turned away from him.

That was the biggest mistake I could have made. The next thing I knew I was down, face first into the wooden floor of the bowling lane. I got up and turned to face him. I knew we had no other choice but to fight these stupid asses.

I stepped up to him and threw the next punch before he was able to set himself. The rest of the guys jumped in as their friend fell back.

TO BE CONTINUED…………….

{Another cliff hanger for you guys. You will haft to wait to see what is going to happen with Jacob and the guys in the bowling alley. How funny could this be, their old enemies coming out of the wood work. The question here is weather or not the other team mates on the football team going to run off Joey from the team? Will Joey just stick around and see if he could get these guys to like him. Plus there is the court preceding that is still up in the air and the relationship between Tom and David. Is Alejandro going to be set free or get convicted? Tom is slowly realizing he does really love David and wants to be with him. But when he finally decides that is what he wants, will it be too late for him? Man oh man, there is a lot to answer in the chapters to come. Stick around and keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}

Copyright © 2014 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..