Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jacob Finding His Way - 40. Chapter 40

(GRANDPA AL’s POINT OF VIEW)

After everyone left the house for school I decided to spend some time with Jeremy. I have gotten so involved in all I am doing right now and I have not spent enough time with Jeremy That’s not what I wanted to have happen when I asked Jacob to bring Jeremy down to live with him here in El Paso.

As I made my way up to Jeremy's room, Francisca came walking to the door. I looked at her to see what was going on. I turned around and walked back down towards her, because she shouldn’t be here today.

“I thought you needed a day off to bury your husband. Why are you here, with all due respect? Take your time and deal with your loss.”

“I just came by to get a couple things I need that Beth has for me. My house is already get filled with people I have never met. I already know this is going to be one of those days I wish I never woke up. It’s not because of the loss of my husband, but because of all those people trampling all over my house.”

“Francisca it is only one day, and it will be over. Just sit with your boys and greet everybody and they will go away. I know it is easier said than done. Still, there are people that want to pay their respects to your husband.”

Francisca shook her head and made her way towards the kitchen. I started making my way back, to Jeremy’s room. I knocked once and opened the door to see what Jeremy is doing. I know it might sound strange that I knocked on his door, but he deserves the same respect I give others.

He looked up at me from the floor and smiled. I smiled back to him as I walked over and sat down. Jeremy is actually drawing a car with a family in it. I took a piece of paper and started drawing alongside Jeremy. The whole time, he kept looking at me and smiling I could not understand what he is smiling at.

Kids like Jeremy have and a lot of love in them. They don't know how to hate. I wish I could take some of that from Jeremy, bottle it up and sell it. We have way too much hate in the world. I wish at least half of the world’s population would be like my grandson. What a world, this will be.

I also learned a long time ago not to anger him. If he gets pissed, he gets this strength from somewhere. One time he actually got mad enough and pulled a table that was bolted to the floor off and threw it out the window.

After that, I try my best to keep him calm, happy and settled. I try not to anger him or get him uptight. At the same time I have to make sure he doesn’t get away with things. If we allow him to get away with things, it will be hard to go out in public, have friends and family over or just have Jeremy around the house.

Just then Jeremy's teachers walked in. Right away, Jeremy jumped up from the floor and went and hugged his teachers. I got myself up off the floor and walked over to shake their hands. I figure to take a moment to talk with them as well.

As we sat there talking about Jeremy. They brought up a good point. They think Jeremy will progress more if we start getting him with other kids like him. Right now he is being home schooled and not allowed to make friends of his own.

“What do you suggest we do? Have you guys stop coming and letting him attend some kind of public or private school? My grandson and I checked the schools out when we decided to bring him here. We both agreed in order for Jeremy to get the best education possible can only be done through private tutoring.”

Mr. Serna I see where you're coming from. At the same time you need to see how successful Jeremy is. The one thing we can do to further his success is getting him involved with people like him.

No, Mr. Serna, that’s not what I’m saying at all. There are daycares, or playgrounds that these kids are at. One of us can take him for a couple of hours a day. We don't want him in a school for eight hours a day. There is no way Jeremy will be able to sit there for that amount of time.”

“I know you're right, and I will speak with Jacob about this. Although it is my decision to make, Jacob does have say in the matter. For the time being let's keep him on the same routine we have him on. If we decide on the change, it will be done after the Thanksgiving holiday.”

I left the teachers alone with Jeremy and made my way back downstairs. I noticed, the builders have started working outside again I need to find out how much longer it is going to take them to finish joining the two houses. I think they should be more then halfway done by now, but they aren’t close to that.

I went out to talked to them and found out what the delay was. To tell you the truth I really don't care. I got them to the promise me that they will be done before Christmas. That’s the only thing I care about.

(GREG’S POINT OF VIEW)

I decided over the weekend to throw caution to the wind. I will find Marie, and ask her out. I think I know the answer but I won’t know for sure unless I grab my balls and just ask her.

As soon as I got to school I went looking for Marie. I found her in the cafeteria eating with a group of her friends. I walked up and kneeled down in order to whisper in her ear. I don’t want the entire table to hear me ask her.

“Can I speak with you alone, please?” Marie just looked at me and nodded her head. She got up and we walked out of the cafeteria into the hallway. We stopped a couple steps away from the door and just looked at each other for a few minutes.

“I know the only thing you know about me is what I did with your mother. If I were in your shoes right now, I would just walk away. But you haven’t and, I thank you for that. So let me go ahead and ask what I want to ask you.

Will you go out with me sometime and give me a chance to prove to you I am not the crappy person you know. I won’t make any excuses for I did. I was wrong, and I am sorry for that. Will you please give me a chance?”

Marie just looked at me and not saying a word. Her silence is actually getting me very nervous. I know I deserve it, but I am daring to hope she has in her heart to give me a chance.

“Greg this is what we are going to do. If you go over and make it right with my brother and his boyfriend, we can go out sometime but not until that’s done. Jacob means a lot to me and what you and my mother did with Joey hurt him a lot.”

I looked at Marie and thought that she is going out of her mind. If I were to walk up to that table and try to talk to either of those two, well, I wouldn’t make it away from the table without getting my ass kicked.

“If that’s what is going to take for me to get a date with you, so be it. I will go over there and talk with Jacob and Joey. I just hope they let me get out of there alive with all the shit I pulled on them.”

“They won’t harm you Greg. And yes, that’s what it will take for me to even consider going out on a date.”

Marie and I walked back into the cafeteria together. We separated when she walked over to her table and I walked over to Jacob’s table. As I walked up to his table, I can’t stop myself from shaking but I can’t let them see that I am actually terrified of them.

I walked up to the edge of the table and every one of them looks over at me. With a shaky voice, I asked to speak with Jacob and Joey alone. They looked at each other at first and then at everybody at the table.

Jacob and Joey both got up at the same time. Once again here I am walking with one of the Hernandez’s out of the cafeteria. We walked to the same spot I was just at with Marie moments ago.

“I need to tell you guys how sorry I am about everything I did. I have no excuse and I won’t even try to make one up. I was wrong for what I did and I wish I can take it all back. But we know I can’t and I am asking for you guys to start on the road of forgiving me for the crap I pulled.”

They both looked at each other and just like with Marie, there was nothing but silence after I finished talking. This family really knows how to get a person to have second thoughts on what they said. I am not having second thoughts. I am hoping I said the right things to Jacob and Joey.

“Joey and I have talked about this several times since that night in our house. I don't have a grudge against you, Greg. I know if we had met under different circumstances, we could have become friends. We will never know the answer to that question, I guess.

One thing is for sure though the future is ours make. I am willing to forgive the past and try to work on a friendship. I know I'm speaking also for Joey as well. We both want friends, not enemies so we don’t have to be looking over our shoulder all the time.”

“Deal, you guys are one-of-a-kind. This shit, I pulled on you Joey. I don't know if I could ever forgive someone doing that to me. You two are better person than I am. I hope I can become like you two eventually.”

I shook hands with Joey and then Jacob. We walked back into the cafeteria together and over to their table. Jacob actually moved over little to allow me to sit down beside him. He introduced me to everybody at the table and made it clear that we are leaving the past in the past.

As I sat there listening to them talk, I couldn't believe my ears. I always thought these guys talked about different things than we straight guys do. Boy was I wrong on that. They are the coolest people I have been introduced to since I started high school.

I know I am going to have to ask Jacob if he is okay with me dating his sister. I have to do that out of respect to him and in light of what I have done. I really want to become friends with these guys and at the same time date his sister. This is going to be a hard line for me to walk. The reason I say that is because of the rocky way we started our friendship.

I also know Jacob's mother isn't going anywhere. With her looming in the background I will be joining forces with Jacob when it comes to his mother. This new alliance isn't going to go over well with Jacob's mother. I will become just as hated by her.

(JOEY’S POINT OF VIEW)

All weekend long my mother talked to me every chance she got. She won’t let go of what Jacob's grandfather did. She believes that he should've included me in the contracts for the restaurants. No matter how I explained it or how many times I explained it she feels that Jacob is trying to be superior then me.

Now, with Thanksgiving just four days away, all of our family is coming to town. Some are staying at hotels, but many of them are staying with us. Some of the family from in town is on my dad’s side. Out of town family is staying at mom’s house, not at mine and Jacob's.

Still, I am not getting a moment of rest from my mom getting on my case about the restaurants and all the way to my family, telling me the mistake I am making being with Jacob. They actually believe the same way as my father believed.

I decided to try to stay away from my family as best I could. Since they are staying at my mom's house and have no reason on coming over to my house, it will be easier. In fact, Jacob told me to tell my mom that she doesn't need to be over at our house, working, while the family is in town. I agreed with Jacob for her to take a break, and enjoy the time with our family.

As soon as I got home after school I decided to go over to my mom's house to let her know. I headed out the back door to make my way across the yard to my mom’s house. Just as I approached the back door of her house one of my uncles from my father’s side called me over. He is sitting outside smoking a cigarette.

“Hey there young man, sit with me for a few moments. I would like to talk to you about something very important. I feel since your father is gone, it is up to me to try and help out your mother since your father was my little brother.”

I walked over and sat down on a lawn chair next to my uncle. I figure I’ll give him this moment to talk with me. I will hear him out and see what he has to say, if it sounds good, I will take it into serious consideration.

“Ever since your father told us about you, I tried to put myself in your shoes; to see what makes you the kind of person you are. I am not going to sit here and try to tell you will that you are a sin or an abomination. I'm also not going to sit here and try to change you in anyway, shape, or form.

Look, you are the only one that can continue our bloodline, and our last name. Your sister will be able to continue the bloodline but our last name will be gone. I can’t stress enough about the bloodline and the name.

My mom, your grandmother on your father’s side, had four boys. Out of the four boys, I am the only one still alive. One of my brothers died at birth and the other died at sixteen in a car crash. Now your father is gone, and it leaves only me.

I can’t have kids for health reasons. That leaves the kids that my brother had with your mother. And he only had two; you and your sister. That’s why I am talking with you today.

You are the last one in our family that can continue our bloodline with our name. Again, let me emphasize this point, I am not here to ask you to change your ways. I'm simply asking to have a girlfriend or wife in order to have kids. If not for you, please for the family’s sake! You are last chance to continue our bloodline with our name.”

“I see where you're coming from uncle, but I am in love with Jacob. We have been together for almost three years now. We have accomplished a lot together in these short three years. If I wasn't with Jacob, it would be a very different story and not so happy story.”

“If this guy loves you as you say he does. He will understand and back you up on this decision. After you have a baby or two you can come back and be with Jacob. Bring the kids with you; that’s fine. Go out and get a young lady and have children with her.

When it comes to true love, once in a while, you need to test your love and see if it is true love. The relationship between you and Jacob will be OK no matter what is thrown at it. You are young right now, and you can come back Jacob when you have your kids.”

Just then my mother walked out of the house. She looked at my uncle first and over to me. I think she was listening to the entire conversation at the door. She has already been on my case, all weekend long.

“Honey, you know I adore your boyfriend. I want you to be happy, and with Jacob, you are. With that said, I have to agree with your uncle on this subject. Jacob will be here after you have your baby or babies. This love you have with him can withstand this hiccup. You have told me time in and time again. It is true love!”

I stood there in silence, thinking over what both of them are saying. It does make sense to me about the kids. I don't believe that I would loose Jacob over it. This, what we have is actually true love like my mom just said.

“Mom, you do understand if I do this, we can no longer live here. There is no way I could live behind Jacob after breaking his heart, and that’s what you are asking me to do. I know your intentions are in the right place. I also know once the dust settles, I can come back and make things right with Jacob.”

“I don't understand why we can’t live here. Jacob bought this house for me and gave it to me. You guys had to know that your relationship might not work. If that happened in the regular way, I would stay in this house. So why does that change if you leave Jacob now in order to have kids?”

“Mom everything that has been bought, has been bought with his money. When we bought the original house, I never gave him my half. When I volunteered to give his mom the house that was left to me, Jacob fought me on it.

I kept telling him I would give him my half but I never did. He loves me so much. He told me each time I told him about money issues to stop talking about it. What is his is mine, no questions asked.

So, we have lived that way ever since we moved in together. You've got to understand what you are asking me to do is going to make us lose a lot more than me having a boyfriend. I am pretty sure Jacob will give you time to find another place to live.”

“Joey I don’t care about this house or anything in it. As long as you are happy is all that matters to me. Look if you want to do what your uncle just mentioned, and then do it. I am still concerned about what he and his grandfather did dealing with the restaurants. They are doing something behind your back, no matter if you want to see it or not.”

I agreed with my mom and uncle and headed back to my house. I don't want to get into the same old argument me my mom have been having the last several days. I already have a lot to think about. If I do this, I will have to do it soon.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

The rest of the week went by fast and before I knew it. We were out of school, getting ready for the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been noticing some weird things going on. Ever since Monday, Joey has been acting weird.

Since he walked in from talking with his mother, he has been keeping his distance from me. That evening and Tuesday evening, Joey didn't come up to bed until he thought I was asleep. When he crawled into bed and I tried to cuddle with him, he would pull way. I can’t figure out what's going on with Joey, but whatever it is I wish he would just tell me so I can help him fix it.

I know his mother has been getting on his case on the restaurants buy out. She really believes that my grandfather and I are doing him wrong in this deal. I think Joey is starting to listen to his mother on this issue.

I decided to confront Joey about this before it goes any further. It is Wednesday evening, and I don’t want this to continue into Thanksgiving. Tomorrow, not only his family is going to be here, so is mine. I can’t let my mother see us fighting. She will think she accomplished what she set out to do.

I walked in to find Joey writing a note. At his side our several suitcases that I know are his because I bought them for him. I guess Joey is going to finally tell me, what is going on without me confronting him about it.

I didn't move from the door. All I did is just stand here watching Joey write his note. He finally turned around and jumped back a couple of steps as he saw me. He looks like he just shit his pants.

“You scared me Jacob. Why didn’t you tell me you were there?”

I just looked at Joey wondering what in the world is going on. Why does he have his suitcases out? Why is he writing a note? Why did he jump like he did when he saw me standing at the door? He is acting very strange.

“Look Jacob, I have been meaning to sit and talk with you, but couldn't figure out how to. I have realized something and I have been fighting it for months. I just can’t hide it from you. I also can’t continue to be making our lives unlivable, like I have been doing the last week or so.”

Just by the look on Joey face whatever he has to say isn’t good. In fact, I am getting this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that it isn't good for me at all. I'm started to get a creepy feeling that I am about to get the worse news handed to me. Tears started rolling up in my eyes as I stand here listening to Joey.

“Please Jacob understand. I have never fallen out of love with you. I will always love you, no matter what. Just I figured out that I did not give myself a chance to date woman before hooking up with you. I have been thinking I should try and see if I am straight, bi, or just plain old gay. I don’t want to, years from now, hating you or me for never really finding out where I stand.”

At first I felt angry. I can’t understand how he can be standing there with a straight face and telling me what he is telling me. I know what he is telling me is nothing but total bull. Then the anger quickly went away and I started to feel hurt.

At that point, I just broke down crying. I can’t believe Joey is saying this to me. I can’t believe he is actually leaving me because he thinks he is straight. There is no way Joey is straight. No way with the way we have been making love for the last three years.

Through sobs I begged Joey not leave me. I begged him and told him that I would do anything he wants me to do, through sobs. Just don’t leave me. I kept crying and sobbing, begging him not to leave me. I will give him everything I have in this world, if he would just stay with me. All that I need to survive is him at my side. I couldn’t stop crying as I talked to Joey. I don’t know if he can even understand what I am saying to him.

Joey didn’t say another word. He just grabbed his bags and walked out the door. I ran after Joey, grabbing a hold of his arm trying to pull him back into the house in order for us to talk! Through tears and sobs, I begged him to give me another chance.

I slid to his leg as we were halfway down the sidewalk not caring who is watching us. I just want Joey to stay with me. He looked down at me, not a tear in his eyes. He kicked me to the grass.

He didn’t even look back at me as he walked to his truck. I walked back into the house and shut the door. I fell where I stopped to the floor crying not able to understand what I did wrong to run Joey off. I just can’t understand what I did in order to make him so unhappy to leave. I love him so much.

I don't know how much time passed from Joey leaving before my grandfather walked in. He dropped his bags and ran over to me. He grabbed me from the floor asking over and over what is going on, what is wrong?

I couldn't say a word. I couldn't stop crying. It feels like my heart has been torn out of my chest and stomped on several times. My grandfather helped me up from the floor and we walked into the den. As we walked, my grandfather kept asking the same question over and over again, ‘what is wrong? What has happened?’

I just couldn't answer him. I still can’t believe what just happened. I love Joey with all my heart and being and I thought Joey loved me as well. I figure with what just happened now that I am wrong about the love I thought we had.

I don't know how long my grandfather kept asking me the same questions over again, but he finally gave up. He got up from the floor and walked out of the den. Between crying and hitting myself in the head I somehow fell to sleep. I woke up to find the entire room dark with no lights on even in the hallway.

I somehow got myself on my feet and made my way out of the den. I heard talking coming from the kitchen. I decided to find out who was in there. As I walked towards the kitchen, I kept hoping that Joey came back.

When I entered in the kitchen I found my grandparents talking. Seeing that Joey wasn't there, I had to fight to keep the tears down. My grandma hit my grandfather on the shoulder to get him to look towards the door. He turned around and when he saw me, he got up at the table.

“Jacob, I found the note that Joey left you. I can’t believe what he wrote to you. There is no way he is what he says he is. Still, I am not going to talk about it until you are ready. I can see you are hurting really bad right now. Both your grandmother and I are here for you. Whatever you need or want, we are here for you.”

I walked over and sat down on the chair and started crying again. I never thought anyone could cry as much as I am crying right now. I just can’t stop the waterworks. Why did he choose now of all times to breakup. I can’t understand that. I just can’t understand why he would choose day before Thanksgiving to break up with me. Damn, we have been together for so long already. We took everything that has been thrown at us; I mean everything anyone threw at us.

I looked at my grandpa with tears rolling down my face. I wanted to ask if he has been down to Beth's house but can’t speak a word. I got up from the chair and walked over to the window to see if there are any lights on at Beth's house. As I looked out the window and I see the entire house is dark.

Once again, my hopes are smashed. I hoped that Joey would be at his mother's house. That way I could have a chance to go down and speak with him. I’m starting to think that Joey's mom knew before I did.

I turned back around and made my way out of the kitchen. I can’t go up to my room that I shared with Joey from the day that we bought this house. Just looking at the empty closets and drawers will just kill me. So I decided to go down to the apartment in the basement. I just want to lock myself away, and die. There is no reason for me to live anymore without my Joey.

(CHASE’S POINT OF VIEW)

I got home after spending the evening with my friends. When I walked into the house it was totally dark. As I shut the front door, I turned on the hallway lights to find my way through to the kitchen. As I walked towards kitchen, I noticed someone asleep in the den. Just about to walk in, Al stopped me.

“Chase, please don’t disturb him. It took a while to get him to go to sleep. He has had the roughest day anyone can ever have. Come with me and I will explain everything to you.”

Still not knowing who is sleeping in that room, I followed Al to the kitchen. I sat down at the table as he handed me a note. I started reading it and as I got halfway through it I dropped it. I looked up at Al trying to find out if this is a trick or something. Al nodded his head back and forth.

I just got up from the chair and walked out the back door. At this point I am so angry. I can’t stop myself. How can Joey do this Jacob? There is no way that Joey is straight no FUCKING way in hell! Al ran after me as I made my way toward Beth's house.

As I reached the back door I noticed all the lights are off. I didn't stop me from banging on the door until my fist started bleeding. I thought to myself, ‘screw this shit’. I kicked in the door and walked in, yelling at the top of my lungs.

I was yelling for Joey yelling for Joey's mother, yelling for Joey's sister! Just yelling for someone to answer me! When no one answered me I walked further turning on lights and finding empty rooms. I can’t believe these guys actually emptied his entire house in less than a week. I was here on Saturday, and there were no boxes anywhere.

I turned around to look at Al and he has the same stunned look at his face. We stood in the middle of the empty living room. Nails in tacks are still on the wall. I went from room to room to see if they actually moved everything out. There is nothing left anywhere in this house. Joey and his mother have been planning this for a while.

I turned off every light in the house and walked out. I found Al standing in the back yard, looking at Jacob's house. I walked up to him, to see, for the first time since I've known him, with tears rolling down his face.

“This kid, I brought into my family….” I see Al holding back tears and at the same time forcing himself to talk. “He is killing my grandson. What he did today is worse than anything that has happened in Jacob’s life, period. I’d rather have my grandson shot again, than go through this pain that he is going through right now. At least a gun shot wound can heal a lot faster than this sort of betrayal.”

We walked back to the house not saying a word to each other. I promised myself right then and there to find and destroy Joey at any cost! I don’t care if I go to jail for killing him. I can’t have him hurting my best friend this way. I love Jacob like a brother and I thought of Joey the same way.

(GRANDPA AL’s POINT OF VIEW)

After seeing the house that Jacob and Joey bought for Beth empty I couldn’t stop thinking what control does Joey have over Jacob’s money. I quickly walked into the study and started pulling out paperwork after paperwork.

After I found the eight hundred numbers to the banks, I started calling them. I need to make sure Joey didn’t clear out the accounts. Running into brick walls due to the hour, I couldn't get a live person. I just can’t leave this till Friday. So I picked up the phone and called the attorneys. It rang a couple of times before the phone got answered.

I spoke quickly, as soon as I knew who is on the other line. I briefly explained what was going on and demanded that he wakes up whoever he has to in order to protect my grandson's money. I made it clear I pay the law firm awesome amounts of money. I want the answer within thirty minutes on all of the accounts.

After getting a promise it will be done. I hung up the phone and started once again to go over the paperwork to see how much is jointly owned by the two of them. After going through every single document from the title of the house to the titles of the cars, I was relieved with what I found. I can actually breathe again.

Jacob unknowingly or knowingly protected himself. The only thing that’s under Joey's name is a truck. Everything else is under just Jacob’s name. Joey's name is nowhere on any of the documents, titles or investments. In fact the house that Gloria lives in is actually under hers and Jacobs name only.

Just then the phone rang and I right away answered it. I found that Mr. Mason contacted Mr. Roberts and Mr. Scott. All three of them are on the line. We said our hellos and who is on the line before we got down to business.

“Al I actually got through to the bank manager. He actually is still the bank and was able to give me the needed information. No one has touched any of these accounts except you or your grandson. The person you gave us went in yesterday and closed off only his personal account.

I had the bank manager revoked all privileges of this gentleman from all of Jacobs and your accounts. He was only listed in Jacob's accounts. He was never listed with your accounts. As of now he is no longer on any accounts dealing with your grandson. They will be sending you new credit cards in the mail. So let Jacob know not to use any of his credit cards. They will be denied, and taken from him.”

Before hanging up with the attorneys, I reconfirmed with them that Joey can’t do anything with Jacob's money or accounts. They reinforce that they stopped, everything that had Joey's name it involved. As of now, the only ones on the accounts and can use them is Jacob me. I was satisfied and I let the attorneys go after that.

I sat there in the study with one less worry on my mind. Joey can’t do anything dealing with property, money, or accounts. I really don't care that he shut his own account down. All that’s telling me is that he has been planning this for a while now.

I am able to fix and help Jacob in the financial area. I will now also try and help him put the shattered pieces of his love life together again. I don't know how. My grandson is hurting like all hell right now, and there is not a thing I can do to take that hurt and torment away.

When I walked in the door and saw my grandson, a very young man that has had everything thrown at him. It started with a shooting that almost took him from us, to cancer he fought back and from, and won all the way to a kid that tried everything he could do to kill him. It only took a loved one to do what cancer, a shooting, and an idiot couldn’t do.

I got up from the desk and headed out to see if any of the other guys have arrived. I looked on Jacob to make sure he is okay. He was still soundly asleep on the couch in the den. I decided to go and have any cup of coffee with my wife.

(DAVID’S POINT OF VIEW)

Basically all day tomorrow we will be with our families. Tom and I decided to go out for dinner. Just the two of us alone before the headaches of family hits and not talking about family, school, or anything else except us during dinner. I can’t remember the last time we have had that much fun without the pressures of life smacking us around.

Before going into the house, we decided to stay in the car for a while and kiss. After steaming up the windows we figured it is enough and headed in. I noticed as I walked towards the house how quiet everything is.

Just yesterday evening, the house was so loud I thought a neighbor was going to call the cops on us. Now tonight, you can actually hear a pin drop on the ground. I looked over at Tom as we walked up to the door as we approached the house. Another thing I noticed is that all the lights are off. I guess everybody went out to eat for dinner tonight like Tom and I did.

We walked in, and headed to the TV room. To tell you the truth I ate so much during dinner, I don't think I can move another inch. If I move anymore, I may actually rip my pants seam. I know Tom would enjoy it, but not everyone else.

Tom sat down right beside me on the couch as I turned on the TV. We kept flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch. We finally settled on a movie on HBO. The only thing I care about is relaxing and trying to get this food to digest.

As we sat there watching TV Andy walked in and joined us shortly after we’d settled in. There was a quiet knock at the front door and then we heard it open. Then we heard Marie’s voice yelling down the hall. Andy yelled back that we are in the TV room. Moments later Marie walked in with Gloria.

We also around the room just chitchatting really nothing that important, we were just talking to pass time. Maybe about thirty minutes later Jacob grandfather walked in with Jeremy and their grandmother. Immediately Jeremy came running over and sat down on the floor next to the couch where Tom and I are sitting.

The only ones missing out from those that live in the house are Joey, Jacob and Chase. Of course Beth too, but I don’t think she is gong to join us due to her having a huge family in her house over the Thanksgiving holiday.

I couldn't help but notice the look on Al’s face. I really can’t describe it because I have never seen this look on him before. The only way I can describe it is a look of hurt but I can’t imagine why he would be hurting right now. Everything is going great for him and Jacob.

I just ignored it thinking it was just my imagination. You know, at times our imaginations can play tricks on our minds I think this is one of the times. My imagination is trying to read too much into something that's probably not there. I just looked back over to the group and got back into the conversation.

When Gloria asked us to help her with the bags in the car, we all jumped up to help. After unloading the few groceries she bought for tomorrow's dinner we helped her getting her bags to the downstairs apartment. I found the door locked, which I thought was strange.

I kept jiggling the door knob when Al stopped me. He said he is going to take the bags over to his part of the house and put her and one of the other rooms. The draft in the downstairs apartment will probably get her sick. He grabbed several of the bags and headed back upstairs to the room where he is going to set up Gloria for the night.

Once all the groceries were put away and everybody was in their rooms, I headed back over to the TV room. Tom, Andy, and Marie are already watching another movie. This time they picked a movie from pay-per-view. I walked over to Tom and sat down next to him once again on the couch. I noticed Jeremy still on the ground drawing like crazy. One thing I notice about Jeremy is that he loves to draw.

Grandpa Al walked in and waved Tom, Andy, Marie and me over to him. He didn't say a word as we followed him into the study. We all sat down and just looked at each other. I am wondering why in the world are we here. I don't know what the others are thinking, but this situation is starting to give me the creeps.

Grandpa Al spoke; “Look I am only going to say this once. I don't want repeat myself so please listen and don’t ask any questions. There’s no point in asking questions because I won’t have the answer to any questions you might have. Is that understood?”

Everyone nodded their heads before Al started speaking again. “Something happened here earlier this evening. Chase already knows and took it pretty hard. Right now he is upstairs in his room and will probably not come down till tomorrow.

I walked in to find Jacob on the floor in a ball crying. I couldn't get him to stop or get him to tell me what is going on. I finally got him off the floor into the den. Shortly after that, he came to me in the kitchen still not saying much, and then he headed downstairs.

David, that’s why the apartment door is locked. Jacob locked himself in there and refuses to come out. I can’t have Gloria finding Jacob in this state. She will revel in the reason why he can’t stop crying.

I don't know how it was done, but I know Joey left Jacob tonight. Once I settled Jacob in the den. I found a note written by Joey and left on the table in the hallway. To tell you the truth I think Jacob walked in on Joey when he was writing the note. Then Joey told him in person, what he wrote in a note. The reason I say that is because the note was still on the table and not with Jacob on the floor.

We need to cover for Jacob, while Gloria is here. At all costs Gloria can’t find out what happened with Jacob and Joey because once she does, she will never let it go. Do you guys understand what I'm saying?”

I started nodding my head looking around to see what the others were doing. They were nodding their heads up and down just like me. I can see tears starting roll down everyone’s faces.

“Grandpa Al, how is Jacob doing right now? Is there anything we can do to help him?”

“Right now, I think the best thing for Jacob is for him to be alone. What we need to do is go down there at least once an hour and use our key to make sure he is okay. I don't think Jacob is going to do anything stupid, but who knows. He just got his heart torn out of him by the roots. When that happens to anyone, it makes that person wonder if life is worth it. That is a normal reaction.”

“I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan to go across the yard and find out what the hell is going on. Joey can go only to one place, and that’s his mother's house. That house is right behind this house, and I want answers.”

I got up from my chair and started to make my way to the door. Grandpa Al stopped me right as I started to open the door.

“There is no use going to Beth's house. Chase already did that and found it empty. I believe Beth and her family had a lot to do with this breakup. The house is completely empty. I am surprised she didn't pull up the carpet and take it with her.”

I just stood there at the door stunned. I am actually at a total loss for words. How can Joey do this to Jacob? I thought I knew the guy, but obviously I had no idea what kind of guy Joey actually is. Simply put, the Joey I thought I knew would never have done this.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

All night long, I couldn't stop thinking about Joey. I tried to sleep, but every time I closed my eyes, Joey’s face was all I could see. When I did fall to sleep, I dreamed about Joey. I dreamed about the time we spent together in the last three years.

We had our share of fights, but we got through them. We had had worst fights that should have broken us up. Now this belief that Joey has he might be straight as he said. I could believe that if he cheated on me with a girl. But every time I ever suspected or caught him with someone else except me it was always with a guy.

I have forgiven him on a load of crap. I have always believed what he has told me no matter what is before my eyes. There were times I knew Joey was flat out lying to me but I love him so much, I just let it go. I can’t believe I let so much stuff fall to the side and never called him on it.

As the smell of food crept through the door, I looked over to the clock to see what time it is. I can’t believe it is already seven in the morning. I pulled myself out of bed and washed up before heading up to the kitchen. I know by now everyone in the house knows what is going on.

I walked into the kitchen to find my mom cooking breakfast for everyone. She turned and smiled at me as she put the coffee on. I smiled back as I walked passed her. I need to change into another set of clothing because of the Thanksgiving festivities and parade.

I took a quick shower, got dressed in slacks, a polo shirt and dress shoes. I headed back down to the kitchen. This time when I walked in the kitchen, it was full. If I’m not mistaken everyone is already awake and here in the kitchen.

Everyone looked up at me as I took a seat at the table. Just the look on their faces told me they know but they won't say anything. When the food was put on the table, I just picked at it. I really didn’t feel like eating anything right now.

I respected the others and waited for them to finish eating before I got up and put my dish away. I walked over and asked who was going to go with me in my car to the parade. Chase, Andy and Marie asked for a ride. I figure the rest will go in the other vehicles to the parade.

We all jumped in the car and headed down the freeway. The parade starts downtown and makes its way up Montana St. I need to be there to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. Most importantly, I need to make sure the banner is in front of the unit.

As I drove I couldn't stop but think about Joey. At times, I started to cry. I couldn't hold it in and I know everyone in the car can hear me. I need to push this hurt all away down and keep it down for good. I can’t have people see me like this.

I parked my car in the Wells Fargo parking lot. Right behind me is my grandfather in his car and Tom and David in their own. They parked right beside me, and we walked together to the parade route. Just as we approached it, I excused myself to join the ROTC cadets that are marching in the parade.

Major Moore and Sergeant Haney are the first two I met up with. Major Moore, being his normal self, isn't too happy.

“Mr. Hernandez, I left this parade and the organization of it in your hands you are to be the first one here and the last one to leave. Why is it I found Loraine here before any one? She isn't even part of the Battalion Staff anymore. Yet she's doing your job. If you don’t get your act right, you won’t be part of the Battalion Staff much longer.”

I just nodded my head and walked over to where Loraine is. I really want to bitch slap this woman right now. With every ounce of strength, I held back. I walked up to her and pulled her to the side.

“You think you have Major Moore in your side? That’s all fine and dandy but remember who it is that signs off on officer promotions. Major Moore puts them in but Colonel May is the one that approves them. He hates you and will never approve you for another promotion. You are stuck at captain’s rank.

Don’t take me on and don’t do it today. I have the ear of Colonel May and he will be more then happy to bust you down a couple more ranks if I ask. So get your fat ass over to your drill team and stay there. You just made me a complete enemy. That’s something you didn’t want. You already have too many enemies in the Battalion.”

“Jacob listen to me and listen well, I am……”

“Did I ask a question Loraine? I don’t believe so. I gave you an order and you better carry it out. You are a company commander, I am a battalion commander. I out rank you and you will follow through on my orders. Don’t say a word. Just do what I tell you to do. It is that simple!”

Lorraine gave me a dirty look but walked away. As I watched her head to her drill team. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find Mr. Fierro standing behind me with a big smile across his face.

“It is about time Jacob. You put her in her place. You have taken a lot of crap from her since you got promoted to Battalion Commander. She needs to understand that she needs people in her corner; not more enemies.”

“I know you're right. I just feel bad that she is getting the brunt of my anger. More than likely she doesn't deserve all of what I did.”

“Jacob, not only she deserved what you did, but she deserved more. Stop being so nice to her Jacob, damn it! If the shoe was on the other foot, she would step all over you. Let's go and check the banners. I want to make sure they are up and what you want.”

We walked from battalion to battalion make sure each of them had their banners. I need to make sure their sponsors are on them and can be seen. As we reached the sixth battalion, we found Colonel May talking with the SAI.

He turned as we approached him. He finished whatever it is that he is talking about with the SAI. He turned and shook both my and Fierro’s hands.

“So boys I see, everything is in order right now for the parade. I like the banners Jacob. You need to let me know what company you used to get these banners done. That way we keep using them for things like this.”

I shook my head and promised him when we returned to school I will get that information right over to him. Alongside Colonel May, we started our way back to the First Battalion. Just as we arrived I saw Loraine speaking with Major Moore.

Major Moore turned to me and waved me over. I excused myself from Mr. Fierro and Colonel May. I walked up to see what Major Moore wants.

“Mr. Hernandez, I won’t tolerate you making another officer look like crap in front of her drill team. Once you return to school, I want to see you in my office. More than likely I will be taking away your rank.”

“You know what Major Moore you to have my rank now. Find somebody else to do all the crap that I do and take the crap from you! I can guarantee you will never find anyone person, let alone ten in this battalion to do it. Stop threatening me, because I'm not going tolerate it anymore.”

At that moment Colonel May walked up to see what was going on. “Major Moore and Mr. Hernandez why don't we take this away from the battalion, everyone is watching. I want to know what is going on here and I want to know fast before the parade starts.”

We walked to the street and stopped. Major Moore spoke first and told Colonel May what Lorraine told him about what I did to her earlier. He left out the part of him already yelling at me about getting to the parade on time.

I explained to Colonel May what had happened when I first arrived. I did not disagree with what Loraine said to Major Moore. The only indifference I had in the story is how it started and why I said what I said to Loraine.

Colonel May was locked and loaded; “Major Moore, you and I will talk in private on Monday. As far as far Loraine is concerned I want her removed as drill team commander. In fact, I don’t want her as a company commander either.

I have taken your word that you can handle her. It seems to me that she is handling you instead. No battalion needs a cadet like her causing the kind of trouble she has caused in the past and today. My patience for her has run out.”

“Wait a minute Colonel May, Mr. Hernandez here is the one that turned in his rank. He should be the one to be removed from his positions. Loraine is hardheaded, but it's good at what she is. I can’t afford to replace her as drill team commander. If we do that I will more then likely lose. At this point, I rather lose a battalion commander then her.”

“Major Moore, you have no choice in matter and furthermore, since when did this become about you? I noticed that it was what “you” would lose, not the battalion. You belittled your battalion commander in front of his battalion. That same thing, you are condemning him for is what you were doing to him. What I have seen the way you treat anybody that’s not part of your drill team and it is unacceptable. I would have done the same thing that Mr. Hernandez did if the shoe was on my foot.”

“This is my battalion, with all due respect Colonel May. I will choose who I keep in position and who don't keep in position. Mr. Hernandez stepped down from his position. I will accept his resignation.”

Colonel May looked at me and then back over to Major Moore. I am just tired of Major Moore and I can’t deal with him today. If he feels that I am the one that’s expendable, and then so be it!

“Colonel May, if Major Moore thinks I am the one that’s expendable I will give him my resignation. First thing Monday I will go to the register's office and drop class. I will turn in my uniform on Monday as well.”

Colonel May just stood there watching me as I walked away. I can’t believe what I just did. Two in half years of hard work down the drain. When it rains it pours. Right now it is hailing on me nonstop.

I walked under the bleachers and sat down. The minute I sat down everything that happened last night and this morning, just hit me. Once again unable to control myself, I started crying right there under the bleachers.

The rest of the day is a blur to me. I remember someone finding me underneath bleachers, but who I don't know. All I can remember is getting back in my car and driving home. I heard voices in my car, but I again can’t remember who was in my car.

Then everything went black and the next thing I remember is sitting down in the dining room table with everybody. I know my grandpa cut the turkey. I also remember having a plate of food in front of me. Although I know I didn't eat anything.

I remember getting up from the table and walking over to the TV room. I sat down with everybody, but what was said or what we watch, I can’t tell you. The next thing I remember say goodbye to my mother and sister and then my heading back down to the apartment in the basement. That’s the only pieces I can put together of the day.

(ANDY’S POINT OF VIEW)

By midday our mom realizes Joey isn't around. She started asking where he is. The only thing we to come up with is to say that Joey spending the day with his family. At first it seemed to take care of my mom's questioning.

During dinner my mom started asking again about Joey and Jacob. This time, she kept asking, what is wrong with Jacob? Once again, we lied to her about the entire thing. We can’t let her know the truth. That decision should be Jacob's and his only.

When I walked up to the car she finally opened up. “Andy, I know there is something going on in this house right now. I know it has something to do with Jacob and Joey. At the same time, I know it can’t be good. I know my kids and Jacob is hurting.

Andy, tell me what is going on in there. Joey and Jacob would never spend a day apart like this. They would find a way to see each other. No family or friends can keep those two apart. That’s how I know there is something going on here.”

“With all due respect mom, this is not my place to say. In time Jacob will talk with you, but when he does, listen to him. Don't judge him. Just listen and be there for him like you were when he was small.

He needs his mom, brothers, sister, grandparents and friends right now. If you're going to belittle him, or make him feel like crap, or judge him, then don't talk to him and let us be there for him. Let go of your hate for once.”

“Andy please talk to Jacob and let him know I am here for him. Whenever he is ready I will listen and not judge or make him feel worse than what he is feeling right now. I love you kids so much. I know I have acted as if I don't.” For the first time in my life, my mom broke down in front of me.

“Just let him know I am here. I love him so much and I miss him. I can’t stand seeing him hurting the way he is right now. I will do anything to have my kids back.”

My mom got in the car and drove off. I just stood there in the middle of the street thinking to myself. There might be some good that can come out of this. I wish it never happened, but it did. Let's salvage what we can.

I walked into the house and looked in on everyone. They are just where I left them, in front of the TV. I looked down the hall to the door of the basement. I can actually feel my brothers hurt all the way up here.

Slowly I walked downstairs, debating with myself what to do. On one hand I want be there and be a shoulder for Jacob to cry on. On the other hand, I wonder if it is best for me to let Jacob get through this on his own. As I reached the bottom of the staircase, I made up my mind on what to do.

I walked across the game room to the apartment. I took the key from the shelf and let myself in, and then putting the key back on the shelf. Just in case somebody else wants to come in. I shut the door behind me and stood there for a few moments. Trying to hear if Jacob is awake or crying.

I looked around to see where Jacob is. I walked over to the bed to find Jacob laying there staring up to the ceiling. I crawled into bed with him. Putting my arms around him, I held him as tight as I could. Jacob buried his head in my shoulder and just started crying nonstop. All I could do is hold him and rub his back.

TO BE CONTINUED…………….

OVER VIEW:

 

{Ok guys this is the most emotional chapter I have written recently. I would like to start out by saying this actually happened in my life. I have a lot of readers writing me asking how much this story is true and how much of the story isn't. To let you guys know, this breakup happened and it happened exactly like I wrote it.

The two main characters in this story and what they have gone through happened. The breakup I wrote in this story did not happen in our junior year in high school. It actually happened many years afterwards but it happened nonetheless.

After Joey left me, we talked a little, but never got back together. In fact, the last time we talked was right before he moved out of El Paso. We met at a gas station, where I met his son. A good-looking son and without a doubt, the son is his. He will always hold a spot in my heart as my first true love.

Enough with the facts, let's get back to the fiction of the story. Because of the breakup there could be a lot of changes. Will Jacob find another to love or spend the rest of his high school years alone? Will he get back together with Joey or is that relationship truly over?

Did Joey believe what he told Jacob? Or is he doing all this for his family? I also wonder, since they cleared out the house and the bank accounts. Is he still going to go to high school with Jacob? If he does I wonder how strange it will be walking down the same hallways no longer together.

I'm glad Grandpa Al had the ways and means to urgently check up on Jacob's accounts. To some it may seem odd that Grandpa Al did that. To others it is the right thing to do. Keep in mind, Joey doesn't have as much as Jacob does.

Chase reacted just like the best friend should do. He considers Jacob more than a friend. He feels that Jacob is like a brother to him. I hope that Chase doesn't follow through with his threats. Just let Joey go.

What was up with this thing with Major Moore? I really hope either Major Moore or Colonel May pays a visit to Jacob to let him know how needed he is in the battalion. Everything seemed to hit poor Jacob at the same time. I really hope he can put his life together and at least keep ROTC. It’s one thing he loves to do.

So many plots and not enough paper to write on them in one chapter! It finally looks like Gloria might stop her evil ways. Only time will tell. As well it looks like Andy is being the big brother that Jacob needs. Again, so many plots out there that needs to come to an end. I really hope you all stick around for them.

As always I can go on and on about the open plots in the story! If I do that, I can actually write several more chapters. There are so many plots that can take a turn at anytime. You might think it is going to go one way, but is lands up going another. Don’t miss out on anything, or you will be kicking yourself for it.

There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Stick around and keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}

EDITOR’S CORNER:

Greetings from the other side of Texas! (Jacob is in El Paso in far, far west Texas and I am in Dallas, two thirds of the way east across the state.

Well, gang, I sure didn’t see this breakup coming! It hit me out of the blue. I can’t begin to express how disappointed I am in Beth. With her malice, she accomplished what Gloria couldn’t. I guess that reinforces the adage of “keep your friends close and your enemies even closer”.

Andy is redeeming himself with his having put Normal in her place and reunited himself with his family. He is a loving brother and his judgment and values were compromised. He’s coming back, thank goodness. I like the way he addressed his mom over Jacob’s current situation. I hope that he will diligently stand guard and make sure Gloria does as she stated. Her turnaround is too vast and fast for me to feel it is fully sincere. I don’t trust that ‘woman’ (looking for a nice word).

Marie is a gem, holding Greg to a high standard. She’s has a deep insight as Jacob and she knows how to bring out the best in people and also set a high standard. You go Girl! Perhaps with Marie and Jacob’s circle as an anchor, Greg can grow into a truly great person.

I’m glad that there’s no financial or business worries for Jacob over Joey leaving. I’m glad Joey was honorable at least in the business dealings and that Beth didn’t get him to do something bad with his access to Jacob’s holdings.

I’m sure sorry Jacob had to have something so bad happen before he got the brass in his boxer briefs to deal with Lorraine. I agree with Colonel May; Lorraine manages Major Moore! I’m curious as can be as to how Colonel May is going to get things fixed and get Major Moore in tow. My bet is that he will do it and in fine style!

I hope that Jacob will ultimately heal from Joey’s leaving. He’s strong in many ways, yet so vulnerable with matters of the heart. I hope that he will embrace his friends and family and that he will leave love interests until his life is more set. Why add complications when the high school years bring enough on their own ?

Ok, I’ll let you go rather than keep you reading my thoughts. I’m sure you have your own and Jacob and I both thrive on hearing your thoughts and ideas. Keep those e-mails coming. They ARE important and appreciated.

Until next time,

“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2014 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I can't believe what joey did and the reasoning behind it. But he has screwed Jake so many times I guess if your going to leave may as well do it with a blast. What I think is even worse that the reasoning he gave is the fact that afterwards he will waltze back into Jakes life like nothing happened. Then on top of this Jake has to deal with all this crap from the ROTC. You know at some point even Jake has a breaking point.

Link to comment

Has Joey never heard of a surrogate parent and artificial insemination? He’s actually listening to his family and leaving Jacob to have a “normal”, straight family life with the goal of children expecting Jacob to just take him back. Knowing Jacob he probably would assuming he hadn’t met someone else by then because you don’t treat your true love this way. Joey will probably come crawling back sooner rather than later spouting off about how much he loves Jacob and whining about how he was pressure by his family to do what he did. The way he was able to hold back his emotions when leaving and just came off cold, the way he distanced himself from Jacob before he even left, etc...all adds to the stuff he’s pulled over the years. True love...doesn’t seem like it to me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..