Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jacob Finding His Way - 41. Chapter 41

(ANDY’S POINT OF VIEW)

As I woke up, I found myself alone in the bed and looked around the room to see if I can see Jake anywhere and he was nowhere to be seen. I crawled out of bed and walked over to the bathroom to wash up before heading upstairs.

I didn’t see anyone in the kitchen for in any of the other rooms downstairs, so decided to look upstairs for Jake. To my surprise, I didn’t find Jacob his room either. In fact I believe by the looks of it no one has been in here. Joey's closet and drawers are wide open and empty. I walked in and closed everything, trying to make sure I can make things easier for Jacob.

I looked out the bedroom window as I was closing the drawers to the dresser. I saw the back door to what was Beth’s house open. There is someone in the house, but who is the question that needs to be answered.

Quickly I walked back downstairs and out the back door heading towards Beth’s old house. When I walked in I didn’t hear any noise coming from none of the rooms. Just as I walked into the hallway Jacob appeared and scared the crap out of me. I took several steps back and almost tripped on my own feet.

“You have me worried little bro! When I woke and didn’t find you in the bed. I started frantically looking for you all over the house. I would never have thought of looking for you over here in this house.”

I started looking around at the empty rooms that once was full of furniture. “Boy not to sound mean or anything Jake but those guys really cleaned this house out, didn’t they? I didn’t see moving boxes or any signs they were packing up.”

“That makes two of us Andy. I should have seen this coming before it happened. What gets me madder now, than anything else, is that they took what wasn’t theirs to take when they ran out of here in the middle of the night.

Don’t get me wrong about this whole thing. Joey helped by paying half the amount of this house. But every piece of furniture, from wall to wall in this house, I paid for, not them. It wasn’t given as a gift to Beth or anyone in this house. And let me tell you that the furniture Beth selected wasn’t cheap.

I woke up this morning feeling bad about Joey paying half on this house. Now with them taking everything with them, including the hooks and nails on the wall I don’t feel bad at all. In fact, Joey and his family got away with a lot more.”

I just nodded at Jake as we continued to walk the house and see the empty rooms. The more and more that Jacob looks around the house, the more he looks at ease! I find that weird but at the same time but maybe this is what he needs to get kick started once again.

Jacob stopped right in the middle of the hallway and turned around. I heard finally what he must be hearing. I turned around as well and walked over to the hallway heading to the back door.

Just as Jacob and I entered into the hallway, we saw movement in the kitchen. We stopped where we are standing and waited to see who was there to walk out into the hallway. We didn’t have to wait too long before Tom, David, and Chase walked out. When I saw it was them I was actually able to breathe once again.

“Good morning to you each of you! You scared the crap out of us when you walked in here!” Just like Jacob did to me, I spooked them to the point where to started tripping over each other trying to step back.

“We didn’t know you guys are here. Chase told us about the empty house and we want to see it for ourselves. Tom and I couldn’t believe what Chase told us about the house being cleared out.”

“None of us can believe that, but it is true. There is nothing left in this house except the walls and anything nailed down. I am very surprised they didn’t try to pry those things off the wall or ground to try and take with them as well.”

Everyone nodded their heads in agreement with Jake. If they could have taken the cabinets, doors, baths, and sinks they would have. Maybe they just didn’t have enough time to do so.

Jacob and I went back down the hallway and continued where we were before we were interrupted. After we finished looking over the house, we all gathered in the living room and just talked. Jacob tried to stay in the conversation as best as he could, but you could tell when he starts to analyze things. More than likely he’s analyzing what went on with Joey and the way he left.

We heard my grandfather calling for Jacob from the back door of our house. Jacob got up and headed out to the house again. He is trying his best to hide the hurt the he is feeling right now. Still, no matter how hard he tries to hide it, we all can see it in his face and the way he walks around here.

“I know this is a weird question to ask, but I am going to ask it anyways. The ring that Jacob is wearing on his wedding finger is his promise ring to Joey. Both of them have the exact same ring and have been wearing them for almost two years or longer. My question is why or when is Jacob going to take that ring off?” David asked.

“David, I think the best thing for all of us to do is let Jacob decide on his own when it’s best for him to take that ring off. What we need to do now is make sure we help him get over Joey as smoothly as possible. It is a lot easier said than done. Even more so with these two because they were each their first loves.”

As we sat in the middle of the living room, we tried to figure out a way to help Jacob get through these next several weeks. One thing is for certain, we can’t rush or push Jacob in any direction or try to speed it up. The only way Jacob is going to be able to get through this and come out OK is by doing it on his timetable and in his own way.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

I walked out of the back door of the spare house to see my grandfather walking towards me. As he spotted me walking towards him, he stopped in the middle of the yard and waited for me to join him.

“Jacob you have visitors in the study. Do you have anything you would like to tell me about what is going on with you in ROTC class? Two older gentlemen want to speak with you.”

“Not really grandpa! Yesterday, I let my anger get the best of me and I stepped down from my position in ROTC class. Major Moore hit me at the wrong time, and I could not hold back my true feelings at that moment.”

My grandfather grabbed a hold of my arm, and we walked back towards the house. As we entered and headed to the study, my grandfather told me he is going to be present for this meeting. He feels that I am not in the right mindset to making major decisions concerning my schooling or anything for that matter.

We walked into the study and Major Moore, and Colonel May stood up from their seats. They looked at me and my grandfather as we walked in. My grandfather pointed me to take a seat behind my desk as he took a seat behind our guests.

As I sat down, I looked to see who is going to speak first. Since Major Moore and Colonel May came over they should be the ones to begin the conversation. As far as I am concerned, everything got dealt with yesterday.

“Jacob we want to speak with Joey at the same time since he lives here. If it is no problem, can you go and get Joey for us?”

“It wouldn’t be a problem for me to go and get Joey, but he no longer lives at this address. He moved out Wednesday and I don’t know where he moved to.”

Major Moore looked over to Colonel May and then back to my grandfather before Colonel May started to speak again.

“I am sorry if I have spoken about an issue that I should not have. Let us just go ahead and speak with you right now. I won’t make excuses for what happened yesterday either will Major Moore. The way I see it both of you are in the wrong.

I am now getting a sense of why you had a short temper yesterday. Again I am not going to talk out of step about what is going on here. What I want to do is settle any issues between you and your instructor.”

“Colonel May, I really don’t have an issue with Major Moore. I know where his bread and butter are and that is his teams. Since I am not part of any of his teams, I am at the bottom. I am fine with that, but where I am not fine at is being told that I am nothing and completely replaceable. To top it all off, it was done in front of those I am supposed to command. I lost all credibility and can never get that back.”

“I see where you are coming from Jacob and that part needs to be corrected. That is something Major Moore and I will speak in private about. What I need to speak with you about is that you can’t let your temper get the best of you. Sometimes bad things happen in our lives we need to leave at the door.

Both of you have things going on in your lives that you guys are allowing to interfere with the battalion and brigade. I know one of the issues is Cadet Lorain Luaveno. I won’t lose a great battalion commander over a company commander/drill team commander. I don’t want to lose either of you two, but I have to make a decision in this matter. I will in that decision will be to keep my battalion commander.

I need you stay around Jacob, because I have big plans for you next year. It all depends on you passing the brigade promotion board, but I know you will. You have shown me and Major Moore your ability to lead and do great under pressure. I need that Jacob back, and I need him to lead.”

I looked at Colonel May as he spoke and realized I allowed my personal issues to boil over to my duties as the Battalion Commander. I need to find a way to put aside my personal issues and just lead. That is what a battalion commander or any leader does when he or she is bothered about something personal. I know I am not going to go into the military, but still I like to do everything I do right. The hot headed way I handled it is not bad just from an ROTC or military point of view; it’s bad for any aspect of my life.

“Jacob, I want to be able to leave here today with this issue settled. When you all return back to school on Monday, everything should be as it was when you left on Wednesday.”

“What are we going to do with the Lorraine issue? I did everything I could to make it easier for her, but she just doesn’t want it easy. At the same time, I can see where Major Moore is coming from with the issue of Lorraine.”

“You are the Battalion Commander, and that decision is on your desk to make.”

“I think the only solution to this issue is pretty much in our face right now. We remove her from all positions dealing with the Battalion from the Company Commander position and any other board she might be on. The only position and authority she has is the unarmed drill team.

She will respect the Battalion Staff members or any superior officer than she is in rank. The bottom line is that Major Moore deals with her and nobody else. I get what’s best for the Battalion and Major Moore gets what’s best for the drill teams.”

Major Moore looked at Colonel May and then back over to me. “I have no problem with that at all. In fact, it is a great solution to our problem. This change will go into effect as of Monday. You and the Battalion staff will need to decide who will be promoted to take over the Company Commander position.”

“Once Lorraine is informed of the change, I will bring in the Battalion staff and get that ball rolling. We have got to continue to prepare for a lot that is upcoming and we don’t need any distractions at this point in time.”

We all agreed to the changes that are going to occur in the battalion on Monday. Colonel May also made it clear to me that I don’t have another get out of jail card. If I step down from my position again, it will be accepted by both him and Major Moore.

After we agreed with everything and settled every topic that needed to be discussed I escorted Major Moore and Colonel May to their car. It seems to me that Colonel May went beyond what he would Normaly do.

You know, by coming down to my house the day after Thanksgiving and talking to a student shows me that I do have value. I certainly have never heard of anything like that before. I really do believe this is the only time in probably the last time, this will happen.

(JOEY’S POINT OF VIEW)

I woke up on Sunday morning still in clutter of boxes in my room. We moved into this house so quickly that everything is thrown around everywhere. I feel that I am suffocating in this clutter.

I got up and put on my shirt and started my way out to my room. On my way I kicked boxes that were empty or full of trash or even some are still half way filled with something. I made my way into the hall and down to the kitchen. I found my mom and uncle sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee.

I walked past them to get a cup of orange juice, and as I was heading out my mom stopped me and tried to speak with me.

“The silent treatment needs to end Joey. You are no longer a child, but becoming a man. A decision had to be made. You made it. Now, you will have to live with that decision. By refusing to talk to me or your uncle is wrong and you know it.”

I looked over at my mom and then over to my uncle with disgust in my face. At this point I can barely even look at them, let alone talk with them. I know I am the one that made the decision but wouldn’t have done it if I wasn’t pressured into doing it.

“You want me to say something, fine I will. What I have to say you won’t like. I made the decision you guys wanted and I will have to live with that and not you. I will get a girl and marry her and have kids. But again, this is something I don’t want and I won’t enjoy either. Again, I made that decision under the pressure you and my uncle here gave me. It’s called duress.

So, I will do what you have asked me to do but don’t get me wrong on this. We will live in the same house. We will eat at the same table. We will see each other every day, but I don’t love or will I ever love either of you again. You lost me that day when you asked me to leave everything I love behind.

Once I graduate from high school. I am out of here. I will never again return to his house or to you, Mom while we both are on this Earth. You will get grandchildren, but these grandchildren, you will never see. Think about that, woman, and see how that feels.”

I looked at my mom one last time before leaving the kitchen. I left her in tears as I walked out. She is now crying for what she has done. I have no tears for her or anyone in this family. All I have right now is hate and anger for my mother.

For the first time in my life, I can’t stand being around my mother. The last time I ever felt this much hate was with my father. I never thought the day would come that I would hate my mom as much as I did my father until now.

I grabbed my tennis shoes and walked out. I got into my truck and drove away from the house. I have no idea where I am going because I don’t know the city. Not only did we move out of my house with Jacob. We moved out of the city and the state. I guess my mom feared the love that Jacob and I have.

Our love is strong and will go across continents if it has to. That is all I keep thinking as I drove around my new neighborhood. When I walked out that door on Jacob, I could not look back, because I wouldn’t have been able to leave.

I have to figure out a way to do what my family wants me to do. At the same time, I need to figure out how to salvage my relationship with Jacob. I don’t even know if Jacob will ever forgive me for what I have done. I know if I were in his shoes, I wouldn’t, because the way I did the breakup.

I wonder now if I would have gone to Jacob and told him about what was going on with my family if he would he have let me get with a girl to have children. Jacob always has been there for me, no matter what. I believe he would have allowed me to go and have sex with a girl in order to please my family. Now this question will never be answered.

Not only can’t I stand my family, now I don’t have the person I have gotten used to being there for me to lean on. What I need to do is quickly do what my family wants me to do and have kids. Then, I need to go back to Jacob and plead with him.

I need to explain to him what had happened and why I made the decisions that I made. Even if that means throwing my mother and uncle under the bus, so be it. I want to have a chance to get Jacob back. That is my ultimate goal to reach.

In order for me to reach that I will need to get started now. My heart aches for Jacob, every single second of the day. I need to get back to him as quickly as possible and doing all this quickly in order for me to have a chance on getting Jacob back.

(NORMA’S POINT OF VIEW)

As I drove up to Jacobs house. I could not help but think about this Thanksgiving. I can’t remember the last time I had a Thanksgiving this bad. I miss Andy and I would do anything to get him back.

I got out of the car and headed up to the front door. I knocked several times, and there was no answer. I then walked over to Andy's grandfather's house and knocked on his door. After my second knock, Andy's grandmother answer door.

“Ma'am is Andy around? I need to talk with him. Please ma’am, I would like to talk with Andy if he is around.”

“Young lady, Andy is in the back house with his grandfather, brother and his brother’s friends. If you want, you can go around the block to the front entrance the house. Let me write down the actual street number of the house.”

She walked back in the house leaving the front door opened and shortly came back with a piece of paper in her hand. She handed me the paper and said goodbye as she shut the door. I looked down at the paper to see the address where I am going.

I got back in the car and drove around the corner. Right away, I found the house. It wasn’t too hard to find because the construction work between Jacob’s house and this house. It looks like they are joining the two houses to make one.

I walked up to the front door and found it wide open. I walked in and ran right into several of Jacob's friends. They just looked at me like I was some kind of Martian or something. I really don’t blame them for looks on their faces.

“Sorry for just walking in, the front door is open. I want to speak with Andy if that is possible.” The two guys didn’t budge at all. They just looked at me, and then at each other. Andy’s grandfather walked in from the hallway.

“Norma, it is a surprise to find you standing here in this living room. Not to seem rude, what is it that you need that brings you here?”

I repeated my request to Andy's grandfather. He turned and yelled out for Andy to come. I really hope that Andy is the only one that comes. If his brother or any one else for that matter comes with him. I will just simply lose it right here and right now.

I didn’t have to worry about Andy being with anybody. He walked up by himself and looked very surprised to see me here. He walked over to me and escorted me out of the house to the front yard before he spoke.

“Norma, what in the world are you doing here in this house, of all places? You and my brother don’t see eye to eye on anything. Out of respect to my brother, you should not be in his house.”

“Andy I want to speak with you and this is where you live. Maybe not this house, but the house behind, I think. All this is very confusing me, the houses that your grandfather and brother own.”

“Norma, you know where I stand right now about us. Unless you can get along with my brother and take him as he is, there is nothing for us to talk about.”

As Andy spoke, I looked straight into his eyes to see if I have any wiggle room on this topic. I can see you in Andy’s eyes that I don’t. I still can’t accept Jacob being what he is.

“Andy, this is not worth losing each other over. We need to sit down and discuss ways that we can live with compromise. I am willing to compromise, but not give you everything on this topic. A marriage is full of compromises.”

“What do you mean by compromise Norma?”

“Just like it sounds and what you think it is. I will let go of trying to force you to leave your family behind. We as a couple can visit your family at anytime as long as your brother is not in the group. Whenever you want to visit your brother, you can do that, but you must do it alone.

As far as the wedding is concerned, I still stand firm not wanting your brother or his boyfriend. You can spend some time with him in the morning of the day, but he cannot be at the wedding or the dance or anything we have dealing with the wedding.”

“No Norma. You still want me to give up my brother and that I won’t do. I am willing to compromise, but not compromise my brother. If you want us to be happy together, and marry each other, you need to accept my entire family. There will be no compromise as far as that goes.

When you are ready to come to terms on that, we can talk again. So if you are not ready now to do so, you must leave and don’t come back until you are already. I love you Norma and I want to be with you. You need to be able to let go of whatever anger, bigotry and hate you have and take my brother and his boyfriend as part of your own family. If we are to marry, that is what he will be to you and that is a fact. He WILL be part of YOUR family. Have you thought about that? Norma, I’m starting to lose my feelings for you, so if you are going to come to your senses on this, it had best be sooner rather than later. There will come a point where it will be too late. I will never waver on this.”

Andy leaned in and kissed me on the cheek before heading back into the house. I just stood there in the front yard, trying to once again to figure out what is it going to take. I will do anything except what he wants me to do.

I got back into my car and drove off. I already got my rental and no longer using my mother's car. One thing is for sure, I have a major decision to make concerning my future with Andy. I just don’t see myself doing what he is asking me to do. I love Andy, but the question I have to answer to myself is do I love Andy enough to accept that he has an openly gay brother.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

I noticed something this weekend, and that is, if I keep busy I don’t think about Joey. Whenever I am in the apartment downstairs alone all I think about Joey. I have cried so much that I have no more tears when I cry now.

One thing is for sure is that we can’t keep that house empty for long. If the neighborhood kids find out there is an empty house on their block they will more than certainly ran sack the house.

I decided to pull my grandfather aside and discuss what to do with the house. After a long couple of hours of cleaning the house, we all headed back to the main house. I decided at that point is the best time to speak with my grandpa. I stopped him in the yard and let the others go in.

“Grandpa, we need to decide what to do with the house. I bought it for Beth to live in, because I felt the downstairs apartment wasn’t right for her and Joey’s sister. Now that they are gone, and I will never let them move back in. We need to either sell the house before we add it to the main house or do something with it.”

“I understand where you are coming from Jacob, but don’t you want to give it some more time before you make this kind of decision? “

“Grandpa, there is no way I will ever allow Beth and her family around my house and family. I don’t need any more time to think about that. Joey made it very clear last Wednesday on his future plans.”

“Okay, if this is what you want, I will back you. I don’t recommend you to sell the home, because you won’t get anywhere near what you paid for it. What we need to decide is who could move in there.”

We stood outside throwing names around on who we think should get the house to live in. I will never again give a house as a gift to anyone. Whoever we decide on to move into the house needs to understand that they will never own it.

“Look, I think the best person that should move into the house is Franseca. She works here five days a week, and now with Beth gone we might need her to work on her days off or hire someone to work on Saturday and Sunday.

There is no way your grandmother can handle two days out of the week by herself. Not with so many people, and Jeremy, in one house. Your grandmother is no longer young and should not have to work anymore.”

“I agree with everything you just said, grandpa. We can talk with Franseca tomorrow and let her know about the offer. We would like her to work the two extra days, but not for extra money. We will pay her by allowing her to stay in the house rent free. We also need to place some ground rules about the friends her children might have around.”

For the next thirty minutes my grandfather and I stood in the back yard coming up with some ground rules. We want to be ready with everything when we make the offer to Franseca tomorrow. The main concern I have is the friends that her kids might have around. I don’t want those friends running around in my house.

The final thing we agreed on is that my grandfather will be the one talking with Franseca. He will be home when she walks in to work in the morning. If she doesn’t take the offer, we are going to have to find someone to work on Saturday and Sunday. Mainly to cook, do dishes and straighten out any mess we make.

After dinner instead of sitting down and watching TV, I decided to go up to my room. This will be the first time I will be in this room since Joey left except for the times I came in to get a fast change of clothing.

As I walked into the room, I shut the door and headed straight to the bed to sit down. I looked around the room that I shared with Joey since we bought this house. It feels a lot emptier and lonelier without him. I can’t or won’t make the same mistake with any other guy that I might meet. I won’t move in together with anyone.

I got up from the bed and started ripping off the sheets and blankets. I tossed them into a trash bag and headed into the bathroom to do the same thing with anything that reminds me of Joey. By the time I finished up with the room, I have five large plastic bags full of stuff that would remind me of Joey.

Instead of throwing the bags away, I think it is best to either give it to Franseca or Goodwill. All the stuff is nice and can be used again by people that won’t be reminded of the memories that come with them!

I went downstairs into the garage and tossed the bags in the corner. I grabbed several boxes and headed back upstairs with. I grabbed every picture we ever took together or of him and threw it in the box. I also grabbed anything that we bought each other and tossed the items in the boxes. Just like the bags, I took them down and stored them in the garage.

I jumped in my car and headed over to Wal-Mart. I need to buy pretty much everything brand-new for my room. From new bed sheets, to covers, to towels, and everything in between that I got rid of from the room.

As I walked through Wal-Mart, I stopped at the row of hockey equipment. I flashed back to the time when we came here and bought all this stuff to play street hockey. I started to walk down the aisle and stopped right in the middle. I looked at the equipment and started to cry once again. The memories, so many memories started flooding back to me again. We did so much together. It is going to be hard not to walk by something somewhere and be reminded of what I had and have now lost.

I just stood there the aisle trying my best to get control of myself. All of a sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder that startled me. I turned around to see who is trying to get my attention. At first, I didn’t recognize the guy. I know that I know him, but from where.

“By the look on your face Jacob, you can’t place me. You have always been bad as far as names are concerned. It will come to you, just give it a few minutes.”

Wiping my face and trying at the same time to figure out who this person is. The face and the voice I know it from somewhere. I know it, but I can’t put my finger on it. Then he smiled, and that smile is all it took.

“Damn, you are Victor! I haven’t seen you since I was at Austin High School. You have changed a lot and for the better!”

I met Victor around the same time that I met Joey. In fact now that I think about it, I met everyone that I know today about the same time, at least my long lasting friendships I have in my life right now.

Victor is my same age and started with me in Austin High School. When I first saw him was in PE class my first day of freshman year. I noticed him right off the bat, and always tried to run behind him. I wanted to always be looking at his butt and his legs. Man, those legs of his are awesome!

“I am surprised to run into you here Jacob. Once you moved away from Austin, I thought I would never see you again. Are you attending school on this side of town?”

“Yeah, my mother moved us this side of town after that shooting at Austin High for our safety and all. Ever since then I have been attending Newman High School. It is the oldest high school here in El Paso, but I like it.”

“If you have time, I would like to speak with you. I will be attending Newman high school as of tomorrow. I am so glad that you are attending this school. I really thought I was going to be alone.”

We started our way to the little restaurant inside of Wal-Mart. Basically the only thing you can buy he in these little restaurants is soda, popcorn and a bad cheeseburger. Still, you can sit down and take a break while shopping.

“Jake, didn’t Joey move to the side of town as well? Both of you left Austin about the same time if I remember correctly.”

“No, when I moved, Joey moved to Phoenix. And then he moved back at the end of our freshman year. All that is a very long story, and we need more time than we have right now. But yeah, Joey is attending my high school.”

“That is cool to have a friend like that. It is hard to start out at a new school in the middle the year and more so my junior year. I heard rumors that you and Joey became more than friends after you left our school.”

“We did and believe it or not, we just broke up last Wednesday. Don’t ask me why, because I didn’t do the breakup. I was the one that got dumped and it was done out of nowhere. So we are no longer together.”

“Sorry to hear that Jake and now I understand why I found you the way I found you. I know everyone keeps telling you that you will get over this in time. It is going to hurt, and it is going to take a lot of time.

I think the best thing to do is to stay busy. Don’t think about it because you can’t change it right now. So tell me about Newman, high school.”

I sat there telling Victor everything about school. Somewhere in our conversation, I stopped thinking about Joey. Victor even got me to laugh and smile for the first time since Wednesday. He actually got me thinking about tomorrow. I stopped thinking about the present and the future when Joey left. All I thought about is the past.

As we started to see Wal-Mart getting empty of shoppers we looked at that time. We both jumped up and headed to the cashier that is still open. As we waited to pay, we kept talking about tomorrow.

Victor told me that he is actually in ROTC and the rifle team. I hope he is in my class, where I don’t have to be with Joey tomorrow. As we walked out to our cars, I asked Victor to meet me in the cafeteria. That way I can introduce him to my group of friends and he doesn’t have to be alone at a new school.

As I drove up to the house, I saw the front door open. Before I could step out of my car, I got greeted by everyone with a worried look on their faces. I told them where I was at and what I was doing. That seemed to settle them down.

The minute I walked into my room, I did my bed. I headed in to the bathroom and showered before going to bed. Just like the nights before, I did more tossing and turning than I actually slept.

I wished I could get rid of the dreams, but that didn’t happen. In fact, the dreams are actually worse tonight than they were the nights before. I figure I am so restless, because I will be seeing Joey for the first time tomorrow since Wednesday. I can’t help but wonder how we are going to deal with our friends.

I got up and started pacing around the room. I can’t sleep, and I can’t force myself to sleep. I just don’t understand why I can’t get Joey out of my mind. Then I thought it could be that I didn’t get closer to our relationship. Basically, Joey threw me out like yesterdays garbage.

I walked over to my desk, sat down, and pulled out a piece a paper. I stared at the blank piece of paper for a few minute. Then I started writing a letter to Joey. That way when I see him tomorrow, I can give him the letter.

Dear Joey,

 

I am sitting here alone in our room, or what was our room, in the dark. I never fathomed a day that we wouldn’t be together. I never saw a day that you would leave the way you did last Wednesday. I never thought you were unhappy with me. I never thought you regretted the day we got together. But now I see that I had blinders on during our relationship.

 

When I first saw you the day outside my mother's kitchen window for the first time that was the day I fell in love with you completely. After that day, I have never wanted anyone else except you.

 

I thought I was out of my league, and I would never get you. Then you came up to me days later in the nurse's office. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. My legs and knees were weak when I saw you. I know if I would have gotten up at that moment, I would have fallen on my face.

 

Then, you told me what had happened to you, and why. You were the first person I ever told my darkest secret to. We almost right off the bat hit it off. Once we got together. I was the happiest guy on this Earth. You were the only guy I would ever want to have in my life and I got it.

 

We have been through a lot together. You were at my side when I got shot, and then I got told about my cancer. You never left my bedside through it all. When I went in for the second time dealing with my cancer, because of you, I am here today. Our love is what kept me going and fighting to live.

 

I survived it all, and then some. You went through my hell at my side. You had your own hell from the beatings your father gave you, to the death of you father. We stood those tests as well. We survived everything your father tried to do to break us apart.

 

Then, your father was replaced by my mother. She tried everything to break us apart. Once again, we made it through everything. From the demands she placed on me to paying that kid at school to see if you would cheat on me we survived it all.

 

The day you left me, you stated it was because that you never gave yourself a chance to have love with a girl. What I don’t understand about that is your past actions. When you cheated on me, you didn’t cheat with a woman. The two times that I know of, you cheated with a guy. If you honestly believe that you are straight, why didn’t you cheat on me with a girl? The answer to that question is easy, you’re gay. Just like me!

 

I forgave you, every time you cheated on me. You told me that you will never do it again. I believed you and took you back. The reason I did that is because of the love I have, or should I say had, for you.

 

You took everything we built together and threw it out the window. You destroyed everything we had in less than five minutes. You did what others tried to do in the last two and a half years, in five minutes.

 

It is going to take me a long time to put myself together. You were the love of my life and there will never be another that can replace you. But just like you, I need to move on and put my life back together.

 

I want to leave with you a thought for you to think about. Through everything we have been through, how could you make it seem so easy to walk out on me that day? You made it look like second nature. Like water rolling down your back, you threw everything we had away for a maybe.

 

I will pick up my heart, and some how put it back into my chest. But this letter will be the last time I will ever talk with you or think of you. I need closure, and this is how I will get my closure. I will always love you and you will always have that special part of my heart, but I can never forgive you. Just so you hear me perfectly clear; Joey, I will never forgive you. I wish you all the best and hope the best will come for you in life.

 

Always my first love,

Jacob Hernandez

I folded the letter into an envelope and sealed it. I won’t talk with Joey tomorrow. Instead I will be giving him this letter. I really do hope he is hurting is much as I am right now. That would be a little justice, just a little, for me.

Sometime during the morning I got a couple hours of sleep. When the alarm clock went off, I didn’t want to get up. By the third time I hit the snooze button, I forced myself to crawl out of bed and get dressed for school.

As I drove into the school parking lot, I kept an eye out for Joey’s truck. I know he is not going to park in the same spot anymore but still, I want to be ready to see him. I parked my car in the same spot, and headed to the cafeteria. The entire way over I didn’t see Joey’s truck anywhere. I started wondering if he is going to come to school today.

I heard Victor yelling for me as I crossed the street to the Main building. Just as I got to the door that leads to the cafeteria, Victor caught up with me. We shook hands as we walked down the skinny hallway leading to the cafeteria.

“Victor, when you get to the table please don’t take a side dealing with me and Joey. I don’t know if the others know yet. If they don’t, we are going to have to tell them. And what I mean by ‘we’ is me and Joey.”

“Look Jake, I understand where you are coming from and I promise not to take any sides. I need friends here, not enemies. Still with that said, you are the one I know not Joey. So if it comes down to choosing sides, your side is the one I will choose to go on.”

We walked into the cafeteria and grabbed breakfast. As we walked to the table I expected to run into Joey, but I didn’t. In fact, once I reached the table Joey is not here. So as I took my seat, I slid the letter back into my book bag.

I introduced everybody to Victor and explained to them, where he is from. Everyone accepted Victor right off the bat. We all started talking about our Thanksgiving vacation and how it ended too quickly.

I looked around the table and smiled at myself. I don’t know why I was so worried about everybody finding out. I guess my mind got lost because everyone here lives at my house except Toni. That means everybody knows and won’t be asking me about Joey.

I realized there is no way I would lose any of my friends. I will never ask them to take sides but at the same time I know they won’t abandon me. I really have not given my friends at chance to talk with me. I know, they want to, but they giving me time to sort out my thoughts and feelings.

(GRANDPA AL’S POINT OF VIEW)

The house feels weird when all the kids are at school. With only Jeremy in the house during the day it is way too quiet. Virginia and I got used to it being just the two of us. Now I gotten used to having so many people around me.

I heard the front door open and shut. As I looked at the clock, I knew who walked through the front door. I got up to go speak with Franseca before she gets busy working. Just as I call her name the door bell rang. I turned around and went to answer the door.

“Gloria! What a surprise to see you here on a Monday. Don’t you have to work? Between you ladies and the events of this weekend, I don’t know if I can take any more surprises. Please, come on in and have coffee with me.”

My daughter and I walked to the kitchen to have coffee. The whole way down, my daughter didn’t say a word. She doesn’t look angry, but she looks confused and scared at the same time. We sat down at the kitchen table, and she started speaking.

“Dad I am very concerned about Jacob! I know there is something going on here, and I pretty much know what it is. You guys don’t trust me, and I don’t blame you. With all the crap that I pulled on Jacob and Joey, you all have good reason to not trust me. Please dad I am asking you to tell me what is going on. Should I be worried about my son?”

“You have to understand the position I am in. With what has occurred between you and Jacob and Joey makes it hard for any of us to talk with you about anything. We want to tell you, but the fear I have saying anything is your possible enjoyment of the whole thing. It might sound mean, but it is true.”

Gloria didn’t look happy at what I just said. In fact it looks she wants to jump out of that seat and start yelling but she knows if she does that she is out of here.

“Let me tell you what I know for a fact dad. I know for sure, that Joey and Jacob are either in a big fight, separated, or no longer together. I know that it happened before Thanksgiving and more than likely it happened the week of Thanksgiving.

I also know that Jacob is taking it hard. I know my kids and their friends think of me as a bitch and I totally deserve that. Still, I will never abandon any of my kids when they are hurting in anyway.”

“Gloria, you have proved that what you just said is wrong. I can’t go into detail because I don’t know what occurred in your house between you and Andy. What I do know for a fact is that when he got into trouble, you ran and turned your back on him. I am not saying this with malice or to hurt you. I am just saying this to let you know what I have seen.

I will go out on a limb here and let you know, what is going on. If I find out that you use this information other than to be there for Jacob, you will see the father you knew as you kids were growing up.”

I sat there telling Gloria everything from the beginning to the end. I told her what happened on Wednesday in the events that followed. I concluded with Joey's family moving out of the house that Joey and Jacob bought for them.

The whole time I was talking. I can see the anger growing in Gloria’s face. Every so often I stopped to calm her down. Once I felt she was calm enough for me to continue, I continued with the story.

“Is Jacob back at school and do we know if Joey is attending the same school still?”

“The first part of your question is yes. Jacob is back at school. The second part of your question I have no answer for, because when Joey left none of us even knew he had this planned with his family.”

“Okay, if you need anything, or Jacob needs anything please don’t hesitate to call me. I won’t say a word to Jacob and wait for him to talk to me about this. I hope I have not ruined my relationship with my second son.”

“Relationships between family members can be fixed at anytime. It takes both sides come to the table and put their differences aside. I have said this so many times to you and I will say it again. You need to decide if it’s worth losing your son over whatever anger you have towards his way of life.”

For the first time in a very long time, I sat at my kitchen table and talked to my daughter. We didn’t fight about one thing or another. We just sat there talking about ways to put this family completely back together.

I walked her to the door and said my goodbyes. I left the open invitation for her to come anytime she wants as I shut the door. As I went to go find Franseca, I could not help but think of the events that just happened.

I really hope what this is not a ploy for my daughter gets back into this family in order to hurt Jacob or if she thinks this is her chance to try to set Jacob right, you know, put him on the straight and narrow and not be gay.

(JACOB’S POINT OF VIEW)

During lunch, David reminded me about my doctor’s appointment today. I forgot that today my cast is coming off. I looked up at the clock and realized I could barely make it to my doctor’s appointment if I leave now.

I hurried up and toss my tray and trash in the containers and headed out the door. As I walked across the street to the student parking lot, Chase and Victor caught up to me.

“Hey there my friend, why don’t you let me drive since you have a screwed up leg for couple more hours. We don’t want you getting in too much of a hurry and your foot sliding off of the clutch of the car.”

I could not help but laugh, and nod in agreement. Victor slid into the back seat behind Chase, as I took the passenger seat. Since it is lunchtime, and this is the open campus we found out how hard it is to get off this campus as students are rushing to return back to school on time.

As we got out of the parking lot and started heading down Schuster Street. Chase, spoke up and broke the silence the car.

“Jacob I found something out, but I don’t want you killing a messenger. It concerns Joey, and why he is not at school today.”

For some awkward reason, I started to worry about what Chase is about to say. The way he started with ‘not to kill the messenger’, and ‘why he is not at school today’. No matter what has happened between me and Joey, I will always worry about him.

“Over the years Jacob, I have gotten to know you really good and that look on your face is a worried look. What I have to say is nothing bad at all so stop worrying and just listen without any interruptions.

I heard that Joey not only left us, but he as well left the state of Texas. He dropped from school on Wednesday before heading home. He got copy of his transcripts in order to in roll in his new school.

I don’t know what state he moved to, but I do know he has moved out of Texas. So I guess we won’t be seeing Joey around. Trust me when I say this, I want to talk to him, but now I can’t. He has made these decisions without any pressure from any of us.”

“I know you are right Chase, and I won’t get angry with any of you when you come up and tell me anything about what you have heard. If they decided to move out of this state, so be it. I wish him the best of luck and good health wherever he goes.”

The rest of the way to Dr. Whitmore’s office we drove in silence. We parked in a parking garage and headed up to my doctor's office. On the ride up on the elevator I checked in with Victor to make sure he was okay. He joined our group at one of the worst times possible. That is not his fault or mine for that matter.

I barely sat down when Dr. Whitmore, called me in. As I walked into his office he smiled at me and asked me the Norma questions about my health. He then knocked on my cast and told me he will be taking it off today.

Dr. Whitmore walked over to a table and started to pull it over to where I am sitting. He moved the towel off the equipment in order to go to work. Without any warning, Dr. Whitmore plugged in the saw and started to saw through my cast. Not even ten minutes later, the cast got pulled off.

“The white skin will go away in time and your leg will be skinny for awhile until you exercise it. Don’t try and just exercise that leg and not the other one. Just do everything Normaly and it will build back the muscle and fat.”

“Thank you, Dr. Whitmore. It seems as if you are always piecing me back together all the time. I have said this before, but I mean it this time. I won’t get hurt anymore, I promise you Dr. Whitmore.”

“I know you try your best not to get hurt Jacob. It just seems as if trouble looks for you. Let me tell you now that your body can’t continue this kind of punishment. You need to take care of your body more than most people do. You are my miracle patient, and I don’t want to lose you over something stupid like a fight. You have beaten the odds; don’t get hurt or killed over stupid things.”

“I promise to be more careful in the future. I know every thing you are saying is right, and you have been saying this since I left the hospital two years ago. My eyes are wide open, and I promise you.”

“That is all I need is your word Jacob. Now get out of here and enjoy your holiday.”

I got up from the bed and started my way to the door when Dr. Whitmore, called me back to his office.

“Also Jacob, please tell your grandfather and family that you guys are invited to spend New Year's Eve at my house. I am throwing a party for my closet friends and family. I consider you family Jacob. So, I won’t take ‘no’ for an answer on this.”

I told Dr. Whitmore that we would go, and it is our honor to go. He smiled and waved me off. I grabbed Chase and Victor from the lobby and headed out. On our way down the elevator, Chase threw me the keys to my car.

On my way to drop Victor at his home, I showed him where I lived. I told him that he is more than welcome to come around anytime. I also want to set aside some time to really catch up with him.

As the week went by, I started to get into a new groove at home and school. Now without Joey I needed to make a life without him. No one talked about Joey at school or at home. The only time I had to explain what had happened between me and Joey is when Toni asked why Joey hasn’t been around?

Toni took it really well. I don’t see why he should take it any other way. He really doesn’t know any of us well enough to take sides. We are barely getting to know him. With his living arrangements it is a little harder to hang out after school. I know that isn’t his fault.

My grandfather spoke with Franseca about working on the weekend and she said fine. She answered before; my grandfather was able to tell her second part of the deal. She wasn’t only stunned but surprised of the offer. Of course she said yes and set the first of the month for her to move in.

We are getting ready to take over our McDonald’s restaurants at the beginning of the month as well. My grandfather is still setting up the main office. We didn’t want anything fancy, but we don’t want anything run down either. We also want it in the middle of town where it is easier for all to get to.

On Friday we found a space in an office building off of I-10 west. It is the entire floor with several conference rooms and offices. One office is for sure my grandfather’s and the other is mine although I don’t know when I will ever use it.

After school on Friday, I met my grandfather at the Holiday Inn off of the freeway. He set up a meeting with the managers and assistant managers and he wants me to be present. We decided to go ahead for right now and keep the management staff of the stores. At any time we can make a change if we choose to.

He wants them to understand who their new owners are. It isn’t only my grandfather, it is me as well. I could not help but think these guys are not going to like a teenager as their boss/owner. They won’t respect me from the moment they see me.

I arrived on time, and headed into the meeting area that my grandfather rented. I walked in to see the room is already filled with our managers and supervisors. I walked towards the front of the room with all eyes on me as I did.

I found my grandfather there with several other guys. I know some of them as our attorneys, but the other’s I don’t. Right away, my grandfather introduced them to me. One is the CEO of McDonald's and the other is the franchise president.

Right at five, the franchise president called a meeting into order. He spoke for about ten minutes before introducing my grandfather as the new owner of the McDonald's here in El Paso.

My grandfather got and introduced himself before he got into his main speech. Basically, he informed the management staff that they are keeping their jobs and will keep them as long as the issues in their stores are corrected immediately.

My grandfather pointed out, one of the store managers issues with her management staff. Just last week, one of her shift managers actually got caught by the police, stealing boxes of hamburger patties from the store after hours.

He made it clear this kind of behavior won’t continue. If they assume that one of their managers is up to no good, they need to report them, and pull them out of their position until a complete investigation occurs. Under our ownership, a person is guilty until proven innocent.

He went on to tell them about new office, and that is where the supervisors are to report as of fifth of December. The last deposit under the old ownership is today, and for now on the deposits are to go into the new bank.

Then, my grandfather introduced me as the other owner. I got up and looked around the room to see the looks on their faces. Some it didn’t matter my age, and the others you can see the dislike in their faces.

I walked over to the podium to say a few words. I basically just said that I am looking forward to working with them. I will be going from store to store and learning everything about the stores from the ground up.

When I do walk into stores I want to be treated like any other staff member. I want them to show me everything from flipping burgers to running cash registers and how to shutdown a store at the end of the day. Basically, I want to learn everything from opening and closing procedures and everything in between.

I stepped away from the podium for my grandfather to conclude the meeting. I can’t believe as of tomorrow we will own all the McDonald's here in El Paso. That is something pretty damn awesome.

It got me thinking about whom I will leave this business to the day that I die. Normaly you would leave it to your kids, but I won’t have any. Now I have to think about that and how to handle it. Maybe I should take a page out of Joey's playbook and get with a lady to have kids of my own.

We left the hotel and headed home. Since we came in separate cars, I drove my car home, following my grandfather and his. With just the music blaring, I started to think about my future. One thing is for sure, I need to move on and make a life without Joey. Enough with mourning the loss of Joey; it is time to start living my life once again!

TO BE CONTINUED……………………..

WRITER’S CORNER:

{We learned a lot in this chapter about everybody involved in Jacob's life. It looks like Jacob is, get over losing Joey. Little by little, he will get better, but he will never heal from that kind of hurt Joey did to him.

I don’t know how many of you readers have been into a long-term relationship like Joey and Jacob had in this story. Both were fully invested in this relationship for almost three years. To top it all off, they were living together and bought things together in their relationship. It is hard to lose anybody but even more so in the way it happened here.

In the last chapter, we saw Joey breaking up with Jacob. What we didn’t see in full detail was the cause and the reasoning. Yes Joey told Jacob, in not so many words, why. But in this chapter, we see in Joey’s eyes what had happened.

Why all of a sudden did Beth do a one eighty on the relationship of her son and Jacob. All along I thought she had no problem with it. I guess I read the entire situation wrong. I hope in the chapters to come we see what really made Beth change so sudden.

I also want to know if Joey is truly in love with Jacob. What is stopping him going back to Jacob? He has done it once before, and this time. He has the means and the ability to do so. Is he lying to everyone about his feelings? I really hope that question is answered also in the chapters to come.

Just like grandpa Al said to himself after his daughter left, is Gloria really turning a new leaf or is this a way she thinks she can sneak in under the radar and change Jacob? If she is thinking any wrong, she will be caught. When that happens, she will lose out on a lot more than she is already losing out on. I really hope that Gloria is truly turning over a new leaf and wanting to help her son; to be there for her son like a mother should be.

I know the rest of the characters were pretty silent I this chapter. They will come out and be in play in the future chapters. We have so many open questions still to be answered and new ones opened up in this chapter as well. I wonder what is to happen with that letter Jacob wrote to Joey. I wonder what is going to happen with Norma and Andy. It doesn’t look like she is willing to compromise at all.

We have a new character on board here. Victor got written into this chapter as if he existed in the past. Please don’t go back to the past chapters and see if he was ever there. The answer to that is no. I just need to get a character into Jacob's life that is not new to him. He needs to be able to know the person in order to trust him.

I also saw a mistake and corrected it in this chapter. Andy’s soon to be wife if all things work out name got written I wrong in the last few chapters. I pulled up my characters list and saw that I spelled her name at first Norma not Norma. So please don’t wonder what is going on, it was my mistake and I am correcting it.

As always I can go on and on about the open plots in the story! If I do that, I can actually write several more chapters. There are so many plots that can take a turn at anytime. You might think it is going to go one way, but is lands up going another. Don’t miss out on anything, or you will be kicking yourself for it.

There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Stick around and keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}

EDITOR’S CORNER:

Jacob asked the question about those of us that have had or have a long term relationship (LTR). I’m one that has, in the past and does currently. Back some 20 plus years, I was head over heels in love with a wonderful guy. We had nearly seven years together that were happy and filled with love for both of us. He left me in much the same way as Joey left Jacob and like Joey, his leaving was the result of outside factors he was unable to control. I could write a short story about the feelings and the long term damage I suffered. Unlike in the story, I was given no reason for the breakup. What is ironic is that I didn’t realize that I still had emotional baggage even some 20 years later. I didn’t realize it until I answered a phone call and HE was on the other end! I discovered in less than 30 seconds that the deep love was still there. We are now friends and see each other for a long weekend from time to time. My current partner and I are solid for coming up on nine years. He knows that the “X” is no threat so the “X” coming to visit isn’t a problem. Well, enough about me.

I am so pleased that Andy has gotten his priorities defined and is sticking by his principles. Norma just cannot be allowed to drive a wedge between Andy and his family. I would be the first to tell Andy that if Norma can’t accept his gay brother that she is totally unworthy as a person to have his (Andy’s) love. It shows that she is a shallow and bigoted person unworthy of the love of anyone that has a centered morality.

Enter Victor: What an interesting twist with interesting timing. Yes, Jake needs a diversion and Victor along with the new McDonald’s added to Jake’s busy life should be most therapeutic. Just noting Victor’s enthusiastic demeanor, I suspect that there’s an aspect of commonality between he and Jake that will provide some intrigue.

Gloria? One quick sentence: I don’t trust her anymore than I would a hungry lioness. Nuf said!

I hope that Jake is able to continue with ROTC and graduate with honors from the program. Major Moore has a burr under his saddle that makes him go off on whom ever is handy. Whatever that is needs to be addressed and I think Colonel May has that situation in his sights. I also suspect that Lorraine has cooked her goose totally this time.

Let us hear your thoughts and ideas for where the story needs to go. Jacob and I relish each and every e-mail we get.

Until next time,
“Daddy” Rick

Copyright © 2014 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Beth deserved everything joey said to her, but joey isn't any better than beth he walked away from Jake for his mother to have grandchildren which he told her she will never see so why ruin so many lives. Good for Jake I hope he sticks to the fact when he says be will never have anything to do with joey again. Joey cheated twice on Jake and Jake took him back each time but what joey did this time is even worse and there's no way to come back from that.

I also don't trust or believe Gloria she has turned a new leaf my ass she in it for herself and time will tell. Thanks god grandpa is there to protect Jake.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..