Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 1,935 Words
  • 1,176 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 21. Chapter 21

Bryan stood in the parking lot feeling rather impatient. He fidgeted so much Terra asked him a few times if he needed to pee.

See you on Monday,” Kris Wilks called out to Bryan, as Kris and his friends walked towards the bus area.

Yeah, see ya,” Bryan replied.

Now, Kris is talking to you?” Terra asked with a skeptic yet shocked look. “What the fuck is up with today?”

I don't know,” Bryan said, also stunned.

That's like, what, half of our class that's been way too friendly?”

Something like that. I wish Kenny could've been here.”

Odds are, he would've bolted. You know how he is when it comes to being the center of attention.”

Speaking of...,” Bryan said, as he saw his dad's truck pull up. His lightened heart got heavy when he realized Kenny wasn't there. As he and Terra got in, Bryan asked his dad, “Where's Kenny?”

He's not feeling well,” Diego replied, giving his son a hug. “I don't think he'll be able to go out tonight.”

Well, that sucks,” Terra said. “I didn't think he was hurt that bad.”

Dan got in a few blows, apparently, and Kenny also has a slight concussion, along with a pretty good shiner. He was sleeping when I left, so don't wake him up.”

They picked up Caleb from a friend's house on the way home and was given the same instructions. Terra and Caleb talked about fifth grade, while Bryan and Diego remained silent, each lost in thought. Steve had ordered a couple pizzas, so Diego didn't have to cook or get something on the way home. Kenny was on the couch in the living room when everyone came into the house. He looked miserable, with the swelling looking a lot worse than it had that morning. Bryan pulled Kenny into arms and held him, prepared to ignore any comments hurled his way, and was thankful when none came.

How was school?” Kenny asked, as Bryan gently stroked his hair.

Um...,” Bryan said, struggling to find the words. “It was...well...interesting.”

Did you get into any fights?”

Nope. I definitely didn't get into any fights.”

Then why are you being weird?”

It was a weird day.” Bryan leaned down and kissed Kenny on the forehead. “I was expecting to get into a fight or two, but...everyone else had different plans....”

You're not making sense.” Kenny was clearly getting frustrated with his boyfriend, as Bryan continued to be evasive.

Everyone was being super nice,” Terra said, sitting on the floor next to the couple. “Like, really nice...like creepy nice, but not in a bad way.”

Yeah,” Bryan added, thankful for the assist. “I couldn't get to my classes without an escort of at least three other kids, most of them I still don't know.”

What?” Kenny said, rather perplexed. “That doesn't make any sense.”

Yeah, it does,” Caleb said, sitting at the end of the couch, putting Kenny's legs on his own. “It's pretty obvious that they were protecting Bryan.” All three 8th graders looked at the 5th grader with stunned looks. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

It just wasn't obvious to us, I guess,” Bryan said.

I'm not stupid, you know.”

Nobody ever said you were; in fact, I think we feel stupid for not thinking of it like that. It makes total sense now.”

Why didn't you ask?”

I think we were just shocked by it,” Terra added. “Most of these people never gave us the time of day before. I mean they were never rude to our faces, but they were being extra nice, I guess, it just caught us off guard. And, for the record, Caleb, you're the smartest 5th grader I know, and if anyone calls you stupid, I'll kick their ass.”

Language,” Diego said from his chair. “But, Terra's right, Mijo. You're very smart, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.”

Caleb smiled to himself and turned his attention to the television.

Diego left for work around 4:30pm, leaving Steve to watch a house full of kids. He hadn't been in that sort of situation since he was about their age, when he and his friends played Dungeons and Dragons. He had half a mind to ask if they wanted to try it out, but it was only a fleeting thought. Kenny was still pretty banged up, and neither Bryan nor Caleb had ever shown interest when Steve had brought it up before. Terra might have been the type to play, but the game wasn't as fun with only two people; plus, Terra was there to hang out with her friends and not him. Instead, Steve let them pick a couple movies to watch, and he mostly kept to himself, after making popcorn for everyone.

Hey Steve?” Bryan said between movies.

Yeah, Buddy?”

What happened with that job interview you went on? You know, the one your friend got for you?”

Oh, yeah, I got the job.”

Really?!” Caleb said, “Why didn't you say anything?”

“I told your dad. I guess with everything else going on, I forgot to say something to you two.”

What's the job?” Terra asked.

Well, head coach of the Washington High basketball team, and physical education teacher.”

I didn't know you're a teacher,” Bryan said.

I have my degree, but it doesn't pay as much as the mill does...well, did. The mill cut all the overtime and they're trying to cut back on our hours despite the union contract. In the end, it would be the same pay as being a teacher; plus, I can work at the mill during the summer”

Doesn't that mean you'll be our teacher next year?”

Maybe. They have a couple P.E. Teachers already, but one is retiring before the year ends. Don't worry, Bryan, I won't treat you special if I do become your teacher.”

Jeez, thanks. So much for the perks of having your stepdad being your teacher.” Bryan realized what he said and tried to recover. “Sorry. I wasn't thinking--”

There's no need to apologize,” Steve said, dismissively but with a smile. “I knew what you meant.”

When are you and Dad going to get married, though?” Caleb asked.

We've already been over this, guys. I love your dad, and I know he loves me, but we're taking things slowly. We've both had our fair share of bad relationships, and we want to do this one right, especially since we both care about you guys very much.”

But it would be cool if we had a second dad.”

You mean third dad?” Terra said, which earned her a severe look from Bryan. “Sorry, I wasn't thinking.”

I don't remember Calvin, so he doesn't count,” Caleb said, rescuing the situation. “Anyway, Steve, can I call you dad?”

Um,” Steve said. “I think that's a conversation for you and your actual dad. I'm honored and flattered you want to call me that, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes here. I'm new to your family as it is, and I don't know how appropriate it would be.”

Okay,” Caleb replied, and turned back to the TV.

Terra was passed out on the floor by the time the second movie was over. Kenny had fallen asleep shortly after it started, with his head on Bryan's lap. Caleb had managed to wedge himself between the back of the couch and Kenny, with his head on the teen's stomach. Bryan moved himself out from under his boyfriend to help Steve clean up.

Thanks for everything,” Bryan said to Steve, as they cleaned up the kitchen.

You're welcome. Hope I wasn't too much in the way.”

Nope. You're part of the family, so you have every right to be here.”

Steve smiled. It was only a few months ago that Bryan wouldn't have said a word to him unless it was absolutely necessary, and now he was calling him family. He fought every urge to hug the boy, not wanting to ruin the moment. However, there was something that he wanted some answers to. “So, Caleb wanting to call me dad...what do you think about that?”

What do you mean?”

Does he usually ask to call your dad's boyfriends that?”

No,” Bryan said, seriously. “He's never asked any of the others before, actually.”

Really? So, why me?”

I don't know. Probably because he likes you? This is new to me, too. You're, like, the second or third live-in boyfriend Dad has ever had, at least since he took us in, and honestly, you're the best boyfriend he's ever had. I know you and Dad said you're not wanting to rush things, and I get that, but Caleb has only known one parent. As much as Donna wanted to be, she was never really a mother to us, and you know everything about Calvin, whom Caleb doesn't even remember aside from Donna's funeral.”

Yeah, I can see all that. I like and care about you all very much. I just don't know how to proceed.”

Talk to Dad about it. If you don't want to be called 'Dad,' Caleb will respect it, but it's really my dad who needs to be okay with it.”

That's fair. By the way, if your dad is okay with Caleb calling me dad, you certainly don't have to.”

Bryan paused, not sure how to phrase his thought without sounding like an asshat. “Well, to be honest, I hadn't planned on it. I mean, if you and Dad ever get married, you'd obviously be my stepdad, but I'm not sure I'd still call you dad. No offense.”

None taken,” Steve said. He figured that's how Bryan would feel about the whole thing, anyway. “And to be honest, I never thought about having kids, even if I had a girlfriend or wife, but if your dad and I do get married, I'd be honored to have you and Caleb as my stepsons. You two really are great kids, and Calvin is a fucking moron for having left you...but I'm glad he did.”

Thanks,” Bryan said, smiling, “me too. I could tell from our messages that I wouldn't have liked him as a parent.”

Who are we talking about?” Diego said, as he entered the kitchen. He looked exhausted.

Family,” Bryan said.

Yeah? Who got in trouble?”

No-one,” Steve said, as he hugged and kissed his boyfriend. “They were perfect little angels.”

Diego kissed Steve then looked at Bryan and said, “So you got him lying to me now, I see.”

Really? Is that how it is?” Bryan laughed.

Diego looked into the living room, saw the three masses of bodies, and replied, “You're the only one up, so clearly, it's your fault.”

Rude. For the record, Sampson is awake, too.”

You might want to look again.”

Bryan turned around and saw the dog curled up with Terra on the floor, both fast asleep. “Traitor,” he said, to the dog, who didn't move. To his father and Steve, he said, “I think I'll get everyone else to bed. You two have a lot to discuss.”

Steve looked like he swallowed a goldfish, while Diego looked confused. Diego asked Steve, “Really? What do we have to discuss?”

Bryan first carried Caleb to bed, then woke up Terra and Kenny, so they could go to his room. Sampson walked himself into Caleb's room. “Good night, Dad,” Bryan said, as he hugged his father. “Good night, Steve,” he added and gave the man a hug.

Good night, brat,” Steve said, playfully, as Bryan laughed and went to his room.

Thank you for the reading this story. All my technical issues have been taken care of here, so the chapters should be released more regularly. Please react, recommend, follow and comment. It really does help. Also, I've started a blog going over each chapter giving deeper insight into the story and my process, so please check that out.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 31
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 8/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, Dan South said:

Extremely satisfying that the core group, the family and framily, are growing so much stronger in the face of adversity. Very cool that Bryan was being protected at school and even cooler that Caleb had to explain it to the older kids. 

I’m still falling in love with Steve. Total dad material ❤️ Diego really should put a ring on it 

Could not have said it any better...

 

On 8/26/2023 at 5:25 PM, Anton_Cloche said:

Diego seriously has to consult another lawyer, because his current choice is more like firm Dewey, Cheatham and Howe.

More looming as Calvin still in play.

So frigging true...get a competent attorney!!!!! Like pronto!!!!!

  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..