Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 2,235 Words
  • 673 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 37. Chapter 37

Bryan sat on the couch, nervously shaking his leg. He hadn't slept well and was loaded with anxiety. Everyone gave him space, fearful that the wrong word would set him off. Diego and Steve considered pissing the judge off and canceling but knew that wasn't an option.

If Bryan goes off, what should I do?” Steve asked; his discomfort was very plain.

Let him,” Diego replied, nonplused. “He's been holding on to that anger for nine years and deserves his chance to blow off some steam. If Calvin tries anything, kick him out or kick his ass. If you need bail money, I got you covered.”

I guess I'd be a real Padilla if I got booked, wouldn't I?” Steve joked.

Mom would be proud.” Diego laughed and kissed his soon-to-be husband. “In all seriousness, though, let the boys vent however they want. They've earned it.”

Fair enough. I'm also going to record the whole thing. The last thing we need is that son of a bitch making false claims.”

Good call. Make sure he's aware of the recording before he enters the house, so he can't say we staged this whole thing. He can't refuse the visit without making the judge mad. In fact, I'll call Billy and get an email sent to all parties before the visit, that way we're covered, either way.”

Are you sure you don't want to play Dungeons and Dragons with us? You'd be really good at it.”

Diego sighed, shook his head and grinned. “You're such a nerd, but I still love you despite your faults. Anyway, I gotta get Kenny ready to go. Text me when the douchebag leaves.”

Will do.”

*   *   *

Calvin pulled up to the curb just before one. Steve opened the camera app on his phone and pressed record. He told the boys to sit on the couch while we went outside to meet Calvin.

Despite having been in the man's presence before, Steve forgot how much shorter Calvin was compared to him. Diego was certainly shorter, but for some reason Steve thought Calvin was just over six foot instead of a couple inches below.

Calvin was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. His shoes looked well used. His hair was kept close, and Steve could smell the man's body odor from a few feet away.

Just so you're aware, I'm going to be recording the whole visit,” Steve announced.

Calvin looked annoyed but just shrugged. “Are my kids ready?”

Steve really wanted to say something about how they weren't “his” kids since he didn't have any rights to them. Instead, he replied, “The boys are waiting for us in the living room. I just want to set some ground rules first.” He waited for Calvin to say something but got nothing. “Fine. First, you will be respectful at all times. If you antagonize either or both of them, you're done. Second, you will not bad mouth Diego or myself. If you even try, you're done. Third, you are to engage with them. If you don't, you're done.”

Anything else?” Calvin asked bitterly.

Yeah, there is. Bryan isn't happy about this and is showing great restraint for now. He's likely to blow up at you, which frankly, his dad and I feel is justified given what you did to him and Caleb. If he goes off, you're not allowed to be a dick to him, no matter what he says. You have no authority over him anymore. If you don't like what he has to say, you're welcome to calmly explain your side or even leave, but you're not to yell back or lay a hand on him except to defend yourself. If you so much as break any of these rules, the visit is over and we will seek legal recourse, including pressing criminal charges against you if necessary. Is that understood?”

Steve was pleased that Calvin looked even more agitated. Calvin was caught on camera being warned and given reasonable boundaries. He was put in a corner and knew it.

Where's Diego?” Calvin deflected.

None of your business. You're dealing with me, and you're not going into my home with my boys until you agree to follow my rules. Now, agree or leave.”

I have a court order,” Calvin said defiantly.

And I have a size 16 and a black belt. Do you agree to the terms? Yes or no?”

Fine,” Calvin said, pouting like a little kid. “Yes, I agree to your stupid terms.”

Good. You have one hour starting the second you open that door and you will be timed.” Steve led the way.

*   *   *

For someone who was desperate for this visit, Bryan noted how Calvin looked put off. There was no smile, fake or otherwise. The man hardly said hi as he entered the door and took a seat on the couch. Bryan wondered if Steve said something or if his former father was nervous.

Hi,” Caleb said, nervously. They hadn't spoken since the mall and it wasn't all that much of a conversation.

Hey,” Calvin said, barely making eye contact.

So, what do you do for work?”

I work at Wendy's at the moment. I'm looking for a better job, though.”

Bryan looked sideways at Steve in disbelief. Calvin had to be near 40 but was working at a fast food place.

Do you get free food?” Caleb asked.

Calvin just shrugged his reply.

Hey, loser,” Bryan spat. “My brother asked you a question. The least you could do is fucking answer it with words.”

Steve's body tensed as Calvin shot Bryan a stern glare. It was clear that Calvin didn't like being challenged by a kid.

Bryan,” Steve warned, “don't be disrespectful.”

Sorry, Dad,” Bryan said, putting some emphasis on the last word, clearly making a point that was not missed on Calvin.

Deep inside, Steve was proud of his stepson, but he didn't let it show. He didn't want to encourage Bryan nor did he want to give Calvin any ammo.

No, Caleb, I don't get free food.” There was a clear tone to Calvin's voice that caused Caleb to pull back some.

Look, asshole, you can be mad at me all you fucking want, but you will not talk to my brother like that.” Bryan stood, causing Steve to stand, too.

Bryan,” Steve warned again, “that's enough. Calm down before you're grounded.”

He doesn't get to be rude to Caleb.”

You're right, but I need you to calm down, please.”

Bryan sat down and glared at Calvin.

You,” Steve said sternly to Calvin, who barely made eye contact. “Apologize and adjust your attitude or leave. You were told the rules at the beginning and agreed to follow them."

Calvin took a deep breath and sighed. “I'm sorry, Caleb.”

It's okay,” Caleb said meekly, avoiding eye contact.

Bryan grabbed Caleb and made him switch seats. “I've got some questions.”

Fuck, Steve thought. I'm actually going to have to ground him.

Where the fuck have you been the last nine years?”

Around,” Calvin said, returning to his bitter glare, but he maintained eye contact with Bryan, who wasn't backing down.

Never heard of it. Is it in Europe? By the look of your shoes, it doesn't look like you could afford the ticket. Did it take you nine years to swim across the Atlantic?”

Calvin didn't reply but was visibly incensed.

Hello,” Bryan said, snapping his fingers in Calvin's face. “I'm talking to you, douchebag.”

Calvin was visibly shaking with rage, his face reddening.

Oh, did I touch a nerve? It must really piss you off that a 14-year-old is talking back to you.”

You owe me an apology,” Calvin said through gritted teeth.

Sorry, not sorry,” Bryan said with a smile. “And for the record, I don't owe you fucking shit, bitch boy. You ran out on us, remember? Oh, yeah, you don't, because you never actually gave a fuck about us, because if you had, you would've been a real man and stayed.”

Fuck you,” Calvin said under his breath.

No thanks. I have a boyfriend for that.”

Fucking fa--” Calvin started to shout, finally having enough.

Get out!” Steve shouted first, having jumped up. “Get out of my house, now!”

Calvin didn't need to be told again, as he stormed out of the house, nearly running to his car.

Steve kept the camera on Calvin until his car was out of sight. Once back in the house, Bryan had a crying Caleb wrapped in his arms. “I think that went well, don't you?” Bryan asked, completely calm, as if they were discussing the weather. “Have you turned off the camera?”

Yeah,” Steve said, confused and a touch unnerved at how calm his eldest son was behaving. “I turned it off once he turned the corner.”

Cool. Caleb, do you want a Coke?” Caleb pulled himself together and nodded. “Dad, do you want something?”

What the fuck was that?” Steve just couldn't take it any longer.

Huh? What do you mean?”

That! This! One second you're flying off the handle and the next, you're just...normal!”

Oh, that.” Bryan shrugged and went into the kitchen. He returned with three cans, handing one to Steve and opening another for Caleb. “I didn't like the way he was talking to Caleb and knew he wouldn't leave unless I pushed him.”

So, all of that was, what, an act?”

Bryan couldn't help but smile at Steve's voice going up a couple of keys. “Yeah.” His smile broadened as his stepdad's mind was blown.

What?! How?! Why?! I--”

Calm down, Dad. You're going to have a stroke or something.”

How could you be so fucking reckless, Bryan?!” Steve's anger started to show.

Bryan's smile vanished immediately. “What? 'Reckless'? I wasn't being reckless. I knew exactly what I was doing. I've been practicing ever since you told you about the visit.”

Steve put his face in his hands. His body was shaking. Bryan wasn't sure if Steve was crying or laughing. Steve took a couple of settling breaths before replying. “That was probably the dumbest thing you could've done.”

I don't see how. You and Dad said you couldn't think of a way to get around the court order, so I thought if I pissed Calvin off enough, he'd leave on his own. How is that a bad thing?”

Because he's probably going to tell the judge that we put you up to it to get him to leave. The judge already hates Billy and isn't on our side at all.”

I know,” Bryan said, as if Steve just wasn't getting it. “That's why I found a way around the wording.”

How can I explain this in a way you'll understand?” Steve took a couple minutes to formulate his response. “Calvin is looking for any reason to take you and Caleb back, right?”

Yes.”

In order to take you back, he has to reestablish a connection between the three of you, right?”

Yeah.”

In order to do that, Calvin needs to have these visits, right?”

Again, yeah.”

He originally asked for unsupervised visits for the entire weekend, meaning that you'd be staying at his house for the entire weekend.”

So? The judge cut it down to an hour, supervised, once a week.”

Right. So, what do you think the judge, who already hates us, will do if Calvin tells him that your Dad and I put you up to forcing him out?”

Bryan's face fell and he grew pale. “Oh fuck,” he muttered, tears started to form at the corner of his eyes and his lips started to tremble. “Daddy, I'm so sorry. I didn't think about it like that. I'm so, so sorry.”

Steve opened his arms, as Bryan ran to him. “I know you didn't, Buddy,” Steve whispered. “I know you didn't.” He held his son tight as Bryan cried into his chest. “I love you, and I know you were just trying to help, but you should've said something before taking it upon yourself.”

Caleb got up, walked over and started rubbing his brother's back. “I'm not mad at you, Bryan. I know you were just trying to protect me.”

It's all too much, Steve thought, as he started to cry, too. He pulled Caleb into the hug, proud of the boys in his arms. Bryan, still crying, turned and pulled Caleb into a hug, as Steve held them both.

Once everyone was calm, Steve set the boys down. “Get your shoes on. We need to pick up Kenny.”

Are you going to tell Dad?” Bryan asked, clearly nervous.

I have to,” Steve said, wiping the remaining tears from Bryan's face. “He has a right to know.”

Am I grounded?”

Steve sighed. “No, I'm not going to ground you. Your Dad and I said you have a right to vent your anger on Calvin, and despite your act, I think some of it was actually real, but you will be the one to explain everything to Diego. I think that's only fair.”

Bryan looked like he'd rather take being grounded but agreed.

By the way, Bryan,” Steve said. “I know you were really upset, and as much as I really appreciated it, in the future, please try to refrain from calling me 'Daddy'. Only Diego gets to call me that.”

Oh my God!” Bryan cried out, as he ran to his room.

Thanks for reading this far. Please continue to recommend, review, comment and reply. Every little bit helps.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 15
  • Haha 9
  • Wow 5
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 2/18/2024 at 5:42 AM, drsawzall said:

Actually, I don't think Bryan overplayed his feelings, if anything he got the sperm donor to reveal much about himself in the conversation before the sperm donor lost his cool...

The boys had the right to know about his background, where he worked, the evasive, non-answer about where in the heck he had been for the previous 9 years...The lack of contact, and most importantly, why now???

As I have mentioned before, the sperm donor would not be going through all of this effort simply to regain the boys...He's privy to information that will benefit him financially...Now...how to figure out just what it is...

I suspect the sperm donor's legal team is going to play the 'gay' card, how critical it is to get the boys out of that living arrangement...

More chapters quicker as noted...please...and thanks!!

Image result for begging emoji

I cannot see any motive in Calvin's desire to regain custody of Bryan and Caleb other than money @drsawzall.  He certainly does not want them back because he wants to play happy families, unless there is a financial gain to be made by doing so. 

I am certain Calvin's legal team will play the 'gay' card and I am certain Judge "Crustypants" will be very persuaded by this; in fact, I doubt he will even attempt to pretend otherwise. The smell of corruption in the legal profession in this story is rancid, reminiscent of at least some of the "Justices" (and I use this word in the strictly legal sense) of the current US Supreme Court from what I have read. Is there a Ruth Bader Ginsberg amongst the lot of them? 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 5
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I cannot see any motive in Calvin's desire to regain custody of Bryan and Caleb other than money @drsawzall.  He certainly does not want them back because he wants to play happy families, unless there is a financial gain to be made by doing so. 

I am certain Calvin's legal team will play the 'gay' card and I am certain Judge "Crustypants" will be very persuaded by this; in fact, I doubt he will even attempt to pretend otherwise. The smell of corruption in the legal profession in this story is rancid, reminiscent of at least some of the "Justices" (and I use this word in the strictly legal sense) of the current US Supreme Court from what I have read. Is there a Ruth Bader Ginsberg amongst the lot of them? 

Money is often a motive for most people, but not necessarily in this case...maybe....

As far as the gay card goes, I guess we'll have to wait and see.  The US Justice System is corrupt and flawed, RBG was not saint herself, either.  As far as the court in this story, I'm trying to be semi-accurate.  Yes, Judge "Crustypants" is loosely based on a real US Federal Judge who was a total piece of shit and a racist, but the likeness isn't so strong that predictions of his actions can be based on anything from his cases.  As hard ass as the judge could be, we won't be seeing the judge in my story order someone to be bound and gagged in court.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

Bryan, tell us what you really think. Daddy wants to know.

Dan Levy Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..