Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 2,732 Words
  • 1,275 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 22. Chapter 22

Despite Kenny's face still being bruised and a bit swollen, he insisted that he was fit enough to go see a movie. Bryan's fussing was also annoying him and figured going to the mall might be enough to get his boyfriend to back off his mollycoddling.

Diego and Steve dropped everyone off at the mall just after 6pm, with instructions to be at the same spot no later than 10pm. Caleb felt like one of the big kids, despite his brother feeling like a babysitter. For their part, Kenny and Terra were fine with Caleb tagging along, since Terra no longer felt like a third wheel.

Where to first?” Terra asked as they entered the building near the food court.

The movie doesn't start for another hour,” Kenny said, looking at his phone. “We could just look around until then?”

I wanna go to the arcade,” Caleb said.

We can do that after the movie,” Bryan countered. “We don't want to blow all our cash and not get into the theater.”

But walking around is so boring.”

Then you should've stayed with Dad and Steve,” Bryan retorted. He loved his brother a lot, but Caleb did like to get his way.

Fine,” Caleb relented.

The four wandered around the semi-crowded shopping center. The building had seen better days. Old neon signs directed customers to restrooms and major parts of the complex, such as the food court and various big box stores. Diego was a huge fan of 80s and 90s teen comedies, so the boys could imagine what the place looked like back in the peak of the mall.

Their first stop was Hot Topic. Caleb didn't understand why anyone would want to buy any of the products; however, Bryan and Terra were very obsessed with the anime and manga clothing and books. He and Kenny looked around at all the novelty items, like toys and LGBTQIA+ materials. Bryan got a rainbow key ring, while Terra got a She/Her pronoun pin. Caleb offered to buy Kenny a queer sticker, but Kenny declined, not feeling okay that 5th grader had more money than he did. Caleb, however, bought it anyway, and planned to give it to the teen later.

The next store was Spencer's Gifts. Unlike Hot Topic, Spencer's had a lot that interested Caleb, especially the obvious sex toys on display. They were told off several times by staff for being loud and goofing off with the various vibrators on a display. Eventually, they were asked to leave as Caleb, who had a box dildo up to his forehead, started bumping into a very uncomfortable Bryan, while declaring himself a unicorn, which made Kenny and Terra double over with laughter.

I'm telling Dad when he picks us up,” Bryan declared bitterly.

I was only playing,” Caleb said, rather disgruntled.

I'm your brother, Caleb. You don't do those sorts of things with your brother.”

What if I did it?” Kenny asked, blushing at his own joke.

Bryan stammered as he said, “Well, um, that's rather, um, different. You're not my brother.”

So you two have had sex then!” Terra said, victoriously.

No!” Bryan and Kenny insisted. Bryan added, “We're not ready, and my dad has already told us to wait. Come on, we're going to miss the previews.”

On the way to the theater, Caleb put some distance between himself and his brother. He was only joking and didn't understand why Bryan was being a dick all of a sudden. Maybe he's just showing off for his friends? Caleb thought. It wasn't even his idea to go with the older kids. His dad asked him to go, so he and Steve could have some alone time. He only agreed to go because he didn't want to upset Diego, who had been stressed out since Donna's funeral, and Caleb was regretting his decision.

Are you really going to tattle on Caleb?” Kenny asked, attempting to keep his tone neutral.

Probably not,” Bryan replied. “It depends on how much of a pain in the ass he is the rest of the night.”

He wasn't being a pain in the ass. He was just messing around like the rest of us.”

It's not okay for a brother to be touching another sibling with a sex toy.”

Kenny tried rolling his eyes, but it hurt too much. “Whatever. He probably doesn't even understand it's a sex toy. He's only 11.”

So? It's still gross.”

You're making a bigger deal out of it than it really needs to be.”

You're an only child, so you don't get it.”

I don't need to have siblings to get what you're talking about, but what you don't get is that you're sexualizing his joke, when he wasn't trying to be sexual at all. He was pretending it was a unicorn horn and not a dick. It would've been different if he was trying to fuck you with it or something like that.”

And what's your point? It's still a rubber penis he was poking me with.”

Never mind,” Kenny said. Kenny figured that, no matter what he said, Bryan would just find some excuse to maintain his attitude towards Caleb.

The lines out front were long, and the three teens talked excitedly about the movie, which was the latest installment of the MCU. They each paid for their tickets, got some popcorn and cokes, then grabbed their seats. Bryan made his way to the back with the others, knowing that Caleb liked to sit up front.

Kenny was enraptured with the entire film to the point he hadn't noticed that Bryan was holding his hand and rubbing it with his thumb, which Bryan thought was cute. Meanwhile, Bryan and Terra had little side conversations via text, as comic book movies weren't their thing. Like Kenny, Terra thought Bryan was being harsh to Caleb, unlike Kenny, however, Terra wasn't letting it go, though she was trying not to be antagonistic about it.

Bryan felt that his friends just didn't understand his position, as they were both only children. He did admit to potentially over reacting, but he still felt justified in telling his brother off for the actions. In the end, he agreed that threatening to tell Diego about it wasn't right, since Caleb really didn't mean anything by it, and he'd apologize after the movie.

The lights came up at the final mid-credit scene, and Kenny blushed heavily, as he became aware of his hand. He wanted to clap at the ending, but chose to have the tender moment with his boyfriend. The pair maintained their hold as they exited the theater and reentered the mall proper.

I don't see Caleb,” Terra said, raising herself on the tips of her toes trying to see over the crowd of mostly adults.

He probably went to the bathroom,” Bryan said, attempting to hide the sound of mild concern in his voice. Caleb did have a large coke, which usually caused him to pee at least once and then after a long movie.

I could send him a text?” Kenny offered, but Bryan reminded everyone that Caleb wasn't old enough in their dad's eyes to have a phone. “Well, this might be a good excuse for him to have one.”

I'll let you take that up with my father, since he still hasn't returned mine.”

Sorry, I forgot.”

It took another five or so minutes for the crowd to disperse, and there still was no sign of Caleb. Terra stayed just outside the main doors, while the boys returned to the theater to check the restrooms, which were also empty. Bryan was quickly concerned and Kenny was on the verge of freaking out, which was only making Bryan's growing anxiety worse.

Bryan managed to speak to a manager, who had a couple employees look around, in case Caleb snuck into another movie. The manager went to the office and checked the cameras. Bryan debated whether to call his dad on Kenny's phone, but the fear of what his dad would say kept him from doing so.

"When we find him, I'm going to kick his ass," Bryan whispered to Kenny. "I know he did this on purpose. He's pissed because I didn't find his joke funny and threatened to tell on him."

Unable to let things slide, Kenny countered, “Maybe he wouldn't have left if you hadn't been a dick to him. You've had an attitude since your dad said Caleb was coming along.”

This was supposed to be our time to hang out, though.”

So? That's not an excuse. Caleb was only playing around because we were. He didn't want to go look around, but you insisted.”

So it's my fault he's gone?”

Yeah, maybe? If he walked away, then I'd say it might be your fault.”

Before Bryan could counter the theater manager came out and told them that Caleb never entered the theater nor did he buy a ticket. He did contact mall security and told them to check their office by the food court.

The teens rushed towards the center of the complex where the food court sat. Despite Bryan's protests, Kenny sent Diego a text telling him that Caleb was missing.

*  *  *

So, what do you want to do first?” Steve asked his boyfriend as they watched the kids enter the mall.

Well,” Diego said with coy smile, “we've got four hours before picking the kids up, so we could--”

“--I like what you're thinking,” Steve said, as he kissed his boyfriend. “Dinner it is,” he said with his own grin.

Ugh, you're such an ass,” Diego said playfully. “You're lucky I love you.”

I love you, too,” Steve said, as he pulled away from the mall and across the parking lot.

Diego's favorite steakhouse happened to be located next to the mall. It was something he wished he and his business partner would've looked into, as a third location, but they just couldn't get the money together. They entered the lobby to a full house and overflowing lobby.

It's a good thing we've got time,” Steve said, looking around for the head waiter.

How about we go somewhere else? By the looks of things, we might only get a few bites in before we have to leave.”

I'm not worried about it.” Steve waved down the head waiter, who then waved the couple towards a freshly cleaned table.

How much did you bribe him?” Diego asked once they took their seats, while relishing the bitterly jealous glares they were receiving from the waiting area.

Oh, just enough.” Steve ordered a nice, upscale, red wine, one he knew Diego loved.

What's going on here?” Diego gave his boyfriend a questioning look.

Dinner, hopefully. I booked the table a couple weeks ago, but I didn't think it was going to be this busy.”

Hmm.” Steve had a good job at the mill, still, but it wasn't that good. “Come on. Spill the bean. Why are we here?”

For steak. Serious, Babe. You've been under a world of stress over this whole Calvin thing, not to mention Bryan's behavior since his birth mother's funeral hasn't been stellar either, and now, you've taken on Kenny's fight. You deserve a night out without all that drama. Please, just let me take care of you for once.”

Fine,” Diego said, throwing up his hands in surrender. “We might as well enjoy it while we can. Your teacher's salary won't let this kind of thing happen very often.”

Exactly, so let's make the most of it.”

They each ordered a ribeye steak, given how much the porterhouse was, along with a baked potato and salad. While they waited, Steve said, “So, have you given anymore thought about Caleb wanting to call me dad?”

They had briefly discussed it the night before, but Diego was so tired after work, he could hardly think and asked for some time to consider things. “To be honest, I haven't given it a lot of thought. It isn't that I didn't want to or think it's a horrible idea; I was just really busy with work earlier.”

I know it's a lot, and I honestly don't know how to feel about it, myself. I love you and your kids. I've just never been in this situation before, so I don't know how to proceed, nor do I want to say yes to Caleb, while you object to the whole thing.”

So you want Caleb to call you dad?”

Again, I'm not sure. It would be mostly for him and his feelings, right? I don't want you to feel that I'm over stepping or let Caleb think of me as another father figure when that shouldn't be the case at all.”

You're already another authority figure in their lives now, though you have limited authority over them. I think it's normal for Caleb to feel that way towards you, actually. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened before with some of my exes, but then again, they weren't good people...and you are good people, Steve. I wouldn't have let you move in, if I didn't feel that I could trust you with my boys. I've been down that road before and vowed, after the last guy, that I wouldn't ever put my boys through that crap again, unless the next guy was really special.”

Steve blushed and smiled. “I'm glad you feel that way. The past couple of years have been great. I haven't been this happy and content in ages. Even Bryan is warming up to me, and I never thought that would ever happen.”

He's a tough nut to crack, but once he finally drops his defenses, he's a great and loyal kid. Honestly, you're the only guy he's ever taken any kind of liking towards. He always kept the others at a distance, especially the ones who tried too hard to get on his good side.”

I just let him be him, and while I was just being me.”

Apparently, you are just good enough as you are.”

But where does that leave us with the whole dad-thing?”

I think, if I had to make a decision right now, I'd say not yet. We've been living together for about a month now, and it's probably too soon for that label; maybe after a year we can revisit it, or sooner if things progress like they have.”

That sounds fair.” Steve felt a little disappointed but saw the wisdom in his boyfriend's words. Luckily, their food came just in time to create a tasty distraction.

They took their time eating the perfectly cooked steak. They continued with the small talk, mostly focusing around Steve's new job as a teacher and coach. As much as Diego loved his kids, he knew he was not cut out to be a teacher. The abysmal pay and hell they went through with the students, parents, administrators, bureaucrats and other bullshit should've made every teacher a saint in his eyes.

Shit,” Steve said as he dropped his fork under the table.

I'll wave someone down,” Diego said, with a hint of disgust, knowing that the floor was never as clean as people liked to think, especially in a restaurant. He nearly choked on his wine as Steve came out from under the table with something that clearly wasn't a fork.

Diego Padilla,” Steve said, grinning ear-to-ear. “The last few years have been the happiest of my life, and though I know we said we'd take things slow and have only been living together for a short time, I can't imagine my life without you and your sons in it. I look forward to waking up every morning next to you, and I can't wait for you to come home, because all I want to do is hold you close and never let go. I even look forward to dropping off, picking up and watching your kids, because they mean so much to me, too. I know a ring, ceremony and piece of paper isn't required to make a family, but it can't hurt right?” Steve choked up a little, as tears fell from Diego's face. Neither was aware that the restaurant around them had grown quite, and like Steve, waited with bated breath for the response. “So, Diego Padilla, will you marry me?”

Diego's phone buzzed, indicating a text message.

Thank you for reading the latest chapter. I know it's a day later than normal, but I'm still trying to get my groove back after the computer crash and other personal issues. So please react, recommend, comment and reply. It really does help. Also, check out my blog where I go into deeper dives into this story and my writing process.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 14
  • Wow 7
  • Fingers Crossed 10
  • Sad 2
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

If I understand this right Caleb never entered the theater? I'm sorry that's on Brayan because that's pretty basic. Well I am I'm sure the rest of the readers are thinking the same thing ....Calvin.

With the wisdom of 20/20 hindsight Diego might blame himself that he should have known Calvin could attempt this. There are good points both ways that can be made here I'm interested to read what the others think.

Why do I think Calvin will be found dead and Diego will be arrested?

 

 

No, Caleb never entered the theater.  You have some interesting theories....

  • Like 2
  • Wow 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well then, it would be time to put the story down till it's marked complete...no?????😁

Hmmm...maybe...?

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Firstly, it appears your crystal ball is working very well @weinerdog, the last chapter certainly was the "calm before the storm".

The obvious conclusion to draw regarding Caleb's apparent disappearance is that he has been kidnapped by Calvin, but isn't it perhaps a little too obvious? To accept this conclusion one must assume Calvin has been following the boys wherever they go, with or without Diego and/or Steve, hoping an opportunity would present itself to snatch Caleb and/or Bryan. If this has been Calvin's modus operandi it makes sense he would attempt to snatch Caleb in preference to Bryan as Caleb is less likely to put up a struggle, in fact, Caleb may even be foolish enough to go with Calvin voluntarily.

Whilst the conclusion Caleb has been kidnapped is easy to accept, our author @John Henry may have concocted his apparent "disappearance" as a ploy to make all parties aware, Diego and Steve included, they must be extra vigilant whilst Calvin's whereabouts and motives are unknown. If Caleb has gone to the arcade or wandered off somewhere because he was annoyed with Bryan for scolding him then he needs to be grounded indefinitely, at least.

If I can find fault with what we know of Diego's parenting, it is that he has not been as brutally honest with Caleb regarding Calvin's true nature as he perhaps should have been. I realise it is easy for me to say and that many people believe you should not be too critical of a child's parent to the child in question, but in this case I believe Caleb should have been informed as to what his father is really like as Caleb does not remember him. Additionally, one must remember how Caleb was so easily conned by his mother that she was a good person deserving of his love and respect. Caleb is gullible and I guess at an age where he cannot comprehend how manipulative, scheming, dishonest and vile other humans can be.

Perhaps Bryan did overreact to Caleb's behaviour in the shop with the sex toys, however, they had already been spoken to for being noisy and goofing off, so I think Bryan had every right to be annoyed with Caleb. I don't buy Kenny's statement Caleb may not have known the dildo was a sex toy. 

And now for poor Steve. I don't think he will be getting a response any time soon to his proposal, unless Caleb has just wandered off to the arcade.

A cliffhanger to beat all cliffhangers @John Henry. Unlike Kenny and Terra and seemingly at least some of my fellow readers, I do not think Bryan was unfair to Caleb. I thought Caleb was behaving like a sooky brat, behaviour which I must say is most uncharacteristic of him. 

You present some pretty solid arguments here, especially about the nature of Caleb's disappearance.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

That’s nasty. A double cliffhanger.

I have to figure out how I can pull that off. 😈

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..