Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 2,439 Words
  • 680 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 42. Chapter 42

The rest of the week went by well. Kenny got his room the way he wanted it for the most part, with Bryan's interventions. Kenny wanted to get LED strips but didn't want to ask Billy or Trevor, so Bryan did it instead. Billy was more than willing to take them. Kenny was annoyed but accepted the decorations.

After school, Diego would pick them up as usual and take them back home until Trevor picked them up in the evenings. Billy usually worked late to prepare for court the next day, and Trevor did after school activities with the Queer Student Union, a few support groups and helped at a shelter for homeless youth. Kenny understood why they never had kids. They just never had the time. A part of him felt bad that they might have to cut back on their work in order to care for him if his mother didn't recover soon.

James and Quinton came over in the evenings, too. Charlie was usually working with Billy on cases, and Ry decided to pick up some extra time at work, leaving Trevor to watch after the four teens.

It's like taking your work home with you, Uncle Trevor,” James said, helping himself to a slice of pizza.

You're hardly 'work', James, but I see your point, and if you don't get a plate for that pizza, no amount of my love for you will stop me from grounding you if you dirty my floor.”

James laughed and grabbed a plate.

For the most part, Kenny and Quinton played Minecraft in Kenny's room, while James and Bryan played the latest Madden game in the twins' room.

So, is everything good between you and Kenny?” James asked, scoring another touchdown.

Yeah, why?” Bryan said, trying to remember his offensive strategy.

Just asking. He and Q seem to be hitting it off.”

What's that supposed to mean?” Bryan said, getting irritated.

Oh, nothing...it's just...well...never mind.”

What?”

I shouldn't have said anything. Just forget it.”

Bryan lost track of what he was doing, and his quarterback got tackled pushing the line of scrimmage back almost 10 yards. “You can't say something like that and just drop it.”

Kinda like you did just now with the football?”

Sure enough. Bryan got distracted and James got an interception leading to another touchdown.

Son of a bitch!” Bryan snarled.

James laughed and said, “Hey now. Because I don't know who my mother is, doesn't mean you get to dishonor her virtues. As far as we know, she's an astronaut or something.”

Sorry, I didn't mean--”

Boo ya!” James said, tackling Bryan's quarterback again. “Seriously, man. You're too easy.”

What?” Bryan said, looking between James and the TV. “You bastard!”

James laughed again. “I was wondering how long it would take you.”

Bryan was really annoyed, more at himself than anything. “I can't believe you'd do that!”

You're clearly easily distracted and insecure about your relationship. I noticed it at the restaurant, and I couldn't resist poking at it.”

That's really low down.”

James stopped laughing and saw how upset Bryan was. “I'm really sorry. I was only playing around. If I would've known it was that off limits, I wouldn't have said anything.”

Is your brother really after my boyfriend?”

James looked confused then laughed. It was short-lived due to the stern look Bryan gave him. “Hell no, dude! Kenny isn't Quinton's type; in fact, Quinton has been crushing on my best friend since 4th grade. Unfortunately, Robert is straight as fuck.”

How about you, then?”

What about me?”

Are you, you know, after Kenny?”

James rolled his eyes and set down his controller. “I told you I'm straight. I have no interest in dick other than my own. Why would you even think I wanted your boyfriend?”

You mentioned that Kenny was cute.”

James shook his head. “For one, I was making small talk; for two, I was trying to show that I'm not bothered by you liking boys; and for three, I can appreciate how attractive another guy is without wanting to bone him. I wish you queer guys would get that through your fucking heads.”

Sorry,” Bryan said, feeling like shit. “I wasn't trying to be a dick about it.”

I get you're salty for what Quinton and I did to you all those years ago and for the jokes, but I'm really trying to be your friend.”

Bryan felt very small. “I'm really sorry, James. I shouldn't have taken it out on you.”

I deserved some of it, but you need to work your issues out with Kenny.”

I know. I'm just worried that he'll think I'm being weird.”

James put an arm around Bryan and gave him a side hug. “You are weird, but Kenny seems to like weird. Give him the benefit of the doubt.”

Thanks,” Bryan said, leaning into James's hug.

Besides,” James said, “If I'm going to pork a dude, you're way more my type.”

What?!” Bryan said, sitting up, eyes wide.

Boo ya!” James yelled as he covertly scored another touchdown.

*     *     *

Friday came sooner than expected. The 'rents gave permission for Kenny to stay the night over the weekend. In addition, Bryan asked if the twins could as well. At first, the adults weren't sure it was a good idea, given that Calvin was supposed to make another appearance Saturday, but Bryan pointed out that James, Quinton and Kenny could hang out in his room until after the visit. Charlie agreed to pick up the boys, which eased Diego and Steve's apprehension.

James and Quinton went to Taft Junior High a few miles from the Padilla's house. Steve agreed to pick up the twins after work, while Diego, who had Caleb already, grabbed Bryan and Kenny.

How has your time with Billy and Trevor been?” Diego asked.

Good,” Kenny replied.

Do you think you'll be okay living there without Billy?”

Kenny really didn't want to answer the question, but he also knew that he had to. “I guess.”

I know it'll be rough for you, at least for a bit. We still love you a lot, Kenny. We're just trying to do what's best for you.”

I know.”

Things remained awkward for the rest of the ride home. Bryan held Kenny's hand, trying to be reassuring.

The place was packed once Steve and the twins arrived. Bryan's room was barely large enough to hold them all, so Steve and Diego offered to clear out of the living room to give all the boys some space. Without Bryan home for most of the week, things had been quiet and Diego could tell that Caleb had been lonely, so it was really nice when James insisted on playing Madden with the younger boy.

Pizza is on its way,” Steve said. “We'll be in our room. Keep the noise to a respectful level. If you need anything, knock first and wait for a response. Calvin is supposed to be here at 1pm tomorrow, so you'll need to be up and the place cleaned before then.”

We got it,” Bryan said, taking the delivery tip money from Steve.

Steve gave all the boys a hug and said goodnight before heading to his room.

If you need extra blankets and pillows, they're in the closet.”

James can get them,” Quinton said.

Why me? Why can't you get them?”

I don't ever want to go back in the closet again.” Everyone booed and hit him with pillows.

Goodnight,” Diego said, after hugging Caleb.

Goodnight, Daddy!” All the boys said in unison, causing Diego to blush and Steve to laugh loudly from the next room.

*     *     *

Diego was the first to wake up the next morning. Caleb was passed out on the love seat, being the only one small enough for it. The twins were on the floor next to each other, while Bryan and Kenny were curled up on the couch.

As bad of a rap as the twins had, Diego was happy that there wasn't anything destroyed or damaged. In fact, everyone was rather well behaved.

Since it was still early, he made coffee and started breakfast. The boys slowly started moving about, with Bryan being the last to wake up. James and Quinton looked confused as Diego served chiloquiles, a traditional Mexican breakfast dish.

Nachos for breakfast?” James asked, getting himself a small plate.

Something like that,” Diego said, with a chuckle.

The only complaint was that there wasn't enough for thirds. Diego had forgotten what it was like to be in a house full of teenagers.

After breakfast, the boys got busy cleaning up the living room, while Diego and Steve discussed the visit, since Diego had to go to work. The plan was for Charlie to pick up the twins before Calvin arrived, and Kenny would stay in Bryan's room until Calvin left.

It was just after noon, when Charlie texted, saying he was going to be late getting the twins. Diego had already left for work, so Steve suggested the twins hang out with Kenny in Bryan's room.

Unfortunately, Calvin arrived on time for his visit. He still had his severe resting bitch face as he did the week before, so Steve guessed it was just how the man looked and carried himself.

With camera in hand, Steve went over the visiting rules again, and as before, had to force an agreement to follow the rules out of his kids' sperm donor.

Bryan and Caleb were on the love seat. Bryan was on the side next to the couch, clearly acting as a human shield for his baby brother. Calvin didn't acknowledge the boys as he took a seat on the couch. Steve sat in Diego's chair, still pointing the camera at Calvin.

The silence was thick but the tension was thicker. Bryan scowled at Calvin, as if daring the man to step out of line, while Calvin and Caleb looked anywhere else but another person. Steve wanted to say something, but knew he needed to remain neutral.

Everyone jumped as a loud knock came from the door. Not wanting to take the camera off of Calvin, Steve asked Caleb to get the door.

Sorry I'm late,” Charlie said, as he entered the living room. He stopped to take in the scene. “Am I interrupting?”

Yes,” Calvin said, his pissy mood very apparent.

Not at all,” Steve said, cheerfully. “The boys are in Bryan's room. I could have Bryan get them.”

They're not your servants,” Calvin pouted.

Actually,” Charlie said, glaring at Calvin, “if it's alright with you, I'd like to stay. The twins could use some extra time out of the house, and I can't remember if they're still grounded or not.”

Fine by me,” Steve said, motioning to an armchair next to his.

Charlie moved to the chair, never taking his eyes off of Calvin. Calvin kept eye contact with the shorter man. Steve noted that Calvin's insecurities must only apply to guys taller or bigger than him. Charlie was only 5' 7” compared to Calvin's near six feet. However, being a marine, Charlie wasn't close to being easily intimidated. He took off his jacket, revealing a Glock 22 at his side. He took off the holster and gun, then set them on the table next to him, all while not taking his eyes off of Calvin. Steve nearly laughed, as Calvin hastily dropped his leer and went back to studying his feet.

About 15 minutes later, James came out of Bryan's room and asked, “Uncle Steve, can I get some water? Oh hey, Daddy! Want me to get Quinton?”

No. I'll get you when I'm ready.”

Steve didn't look but definitely heard the amused tone in James's voice when he said, “Okay,” before leaving with his glass of water. It wasn't long before Quinton then Kenny needed something to drink.

Roughly 30 minutes into the visit, Calvin nor the boys said a word. “You can either visit or leave,” Steve said.

There isn't supposed to be anyone here,” Calvin said, nodding his head towards Charlie.

That wasn't in the terms nor rules. You're supposed to be visiting with the boys, not sitting there like a waste of space, so you can either start engaging with them or leave.”

You can't make me leave before my hour is up,” Calvin said defiantly, looking Steve in the eye for the first time since entering the house.

Wanna bet?” Charlie said. To make his point, he flexed his rather muscular and heavily tattooed arms.

You're only saying that because you have a gun.”

Charlie grabbed his Glock and took it apart in about 30 seconds, setting each bullet up in a neat, single file row. “Do you still wanna bet?” He asked, not once in that entire action did he take his eyes off of Calvin.

Calvin sat for a second, his eyes widened in shock and he bolted for the door.

The boys and Steve broke out laughing. In another 30 seconds, Charlie reassembled his weapon and holstered it.

That was awesome!” Bryan said, giving Charlie a fist bump.

You really scared the hell out of him with your gun,” Caleb said.

Hell wasn't the only thing that left his body,” Charlie said, pointing at the dark spot where Calvin had been sitting.

Ew! Gross!” Caleb said, turning his nose up in disgust.

He didn't, did he?” Steve said, leaning forward with the camera still recording.

Sure enough. There was a noticeable wet spot on the couch.

Dad's gonna freak,” Bryan said, going to the kitchen to get some cleaner.

Before or after he laughs?” Steve asked, as he sent Diego a text.

Make sure you get a copy of that vid to Billy. I have no doubt it'll be needed in Court,” Charlie said, as he got up to get the twins.

Everyone walked Charlie and the twins out to Charlie's SUV. “Doing anything next Saturday at 1pm?” Steve asked.

No, why?”

You and the twins are welcome to come over if you want.”

Charlie laughed and gave Steve a hug. “We'll see.”

Hugs were exchanged with the twins, as James was a hugger. “Thanks for having us over,” James said.

Yeah, it was fun,” Bryan said.

Next time, you guys can stay at our place,” Quinton suggested. “We've got a spare room you can stay in.”

I'm sure we can work it out.”

Let's get some lunch and take the cushion to get dry cleaned,” Steve said, as he waved at the Bartons. “Saturdays might be fun, after all.”

Thanks for reading this story. Please follow, recommend, review, comment and reply. It all helps.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 10
  • Haha 11
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

12 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

During the visit I was hoping to myself "Please Calvin mess with Charlie give him an excuse to kick your ass." But I liked what happened although I first thought instead of pissing his pants I though he scared the s__t out of him and the mentioned spot on the cushion was something else.

Made a mistake I read this chapter while I was a little hungry Hmmmm Chiloquiles

No doubt everyone was hoping for a confrontation between the two, but Charlie has a lot of self-control and Calvin is a coward.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Calvin isn't doing himself any favors, while Charlie had a gun, it was very quickly rendered inert and should not pose a problem if brought up in court...what is Calvin after, it has to have intrinsic value for him to continue on with this charade...

Loved the humor in the following...

If you need extra blankets and pillows, they're in the closet.”

James can get them,” Quinton said.

Why me? Why can't you get them?”

I don't ever want to go back in the closet again.” Everyone booed and hit him with pillows.

Goodnight,” Diego said, after hugging Caleb.

Goodnight, Daddy!” All the boys said in unison, causing Diego to blush and Steve to laugh loudly from the next room.

Like you @weinerdog my first thought Calvin crapped his pants...shame it wasn't so...

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Calvin isn't doing himself any favors, while Charlie had a gun, it was very quickly rendered inert and should not pose a problem if brought up in court...what is Calvin after, it has to have intrinsic value for him to continue on with this charade...

Loved the humor in the following...

If you need extra blankets and pillows, they're in the closet.”

James can get them,” Quinton said.

Why me? Why can't you get them?”

I don't ever want to go back in the closet again.” Everyone booed and hit him with pillows.

Goodnight,” Diego said, after hugging Caleb.

Goodnight, Daddy!” All the boys said in unison, causing Diego to blush and Steve to laugh loudly from the next room.

Like you @weinerdog my first thought Calvin crapped his pants...shame it wasn't so...

Calvin's motives will eventually come to light...or will they? 😏

I'm glad you enjoyed the humor.  A lot of serious chapters and scenes have come up lately, so I thought I'd get back to some funny stuff.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

@weinerdog and @drsawzall we already have Judge "Crustypants" so I think it was apt that we now have Calvin "Pissypants". Perhaps they can console each other with their woes regarding bodily functions; maybe even get a discount on the bulk purchase of adult nappies (diapers for Americans).

Perhaps I am a little too much like Bryan (although considerably older), but James annoyed me. I still do not trust him. His statement that he only made reference to Bryan's relationship insecurities so he could win at the game they were playing may be true, but then again it may not. 

Chiloquiles appear to be something very tasty (as long as they were bean based), but there is no way I could eat something like that for breakfast. Way too heavy.

As much as I don't particularly like or trust James, I think extending Kenny's circle of friends (and by default Bryan's too) is likely to be good for both. If James is as I am hoping he is not, I expect him to be bitch-slapped into the middle of next week @John Henry. I am very fond of both Bryan and Kenny and don't want to see either upset, especially if that someone is as smug as James appears to be. And no, I will not accept that this was another "filler" chapter.

 

I'm glad you liked this filler chapter. 😁

James is a typical, American, teen boy from what I remember and have experienced, so he's going to be annoying at times.  He likes shock value, so I can see why you're unsure about his motives.  I guess we'll see where things go with James.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
19 hours ago, John Henry said:

You bring up some good points.

{snip} , I don't want to give anything away just yet about why Calvin is acting the way his is, even though it isn't very...shocking? (for want of a better word).  There is something to it that will be brought up, but it won't seem important at first and is rather subtle.

This is fine,  the comments gang  seem to  be enjoying puzzling this out, and I don't want you to tamper with the pacing just to settle this down. 

Further on this,  though- Caleb was curious and tried a bit first visit, and didn't this time.  Did he get what he wanted?  or is he feeling pressured into following Bryan and everyone else's cues now ? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Well, well @John Henry an interesting chapter.

Calvin's not winning friends or influencing people. In fact he seems to be doing the opposite, both as far as 'his' boys and grown ups like Charlie.

Could Charlie's 'stunt' of dissembling his Glock pistol and lining up the bullets be seen by Judge 'Crustypants' as a 'threat' or intimidation? Probably, and the judge might use that against Diego and Steve. And Billy won't be thrilled.

Whether Charlie's 'stunt' scared the piss out of Calvin, or made him shit himself (out of fear)), it could backfire. In either event, Calvin forgot every Mother's advice to "wear clean underwear (and dark pants) when you go out. In case you get in and accident".

     bart simpson GIF

                stripping taylor lautner GIF

We'll have to see if there's any fall out from Charlie hanging around.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mattyboy said:

This is fine,  the comments gang  seem to  be enjoying puzzling this out, and I don't want you to tamper with the pacing just to settle this down. 

Further on this,  though- Caleb was curious and tried a bit first visit, and didn't this time.  Did he get what he wanted?  or is he feeling pressured into following Bryan and everyone else's cues now ? 

Caleb is a kid who is "once bitten, twice shy."  His first interaction with Calvin was largely positive, and he hoped they'd get to know each other more until Calvin showed his true colors during the first visit.  He has, since then, decided that interacting with Calvin isn't worth it.  This dynamic was intended to be a very subtle hint at things to come.

Edited by John Henry
  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 3/23/2024 at 10:27 AM, chris191070 said:

Interesting chapter.

Calvin is definitely after something, but it seems he won't talk with others present.

I just love that Charlie made him piss his pants.

Me thinks you’re correct. It’s so sad that divorce, deaths, inheritance , and revenge brings greediness to the forefront, but even more sad that children are far too often used as chess pieces to gain advantage. It’s regrettable but child inheritances almost always needs a trustee; but that too bleeds the trust resources. True heirs need the inheritance to provide continued lifestyles that neither foster parents, adoptive parents, or next of kin may be able to provide. Conversely, high performance ski boats, extravagant vacations, etc, are not the heirs’ trust responsibility as too often requested; only the child’s portion of such activities. If lifestyle is too different from the providers then authorization should be trust ownership to be retained only if the child is the primary beneficiary….hence, the sad reality makes children pawns for the selfish gains of others.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

If Steve kept the camera pointed at Calvin, there’s no way the judge would know got sure. Just because Calvin said he had a gun, there’s no proof. Plus he took it apart, made it temporarily useless.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

If Steve kept the camera pointed at Calvin, there’s no way the judge would know got sure. Just because Calvin said he had a gun, there’s no proof. Plus he took it apart, made it temporarily useless.

Yep

  • Like 2
Link to comment
John Henry

Posted (edited)

On 3/26/2024 at 8:54 PM, Philippe said:

Me thinks you’re correct. It’s so sad that divorce, deaths, inheritance , and revenge brings greediness to the forefront, but even more sad that children are far too often used as chess pieces to gain advantage. It’s regrettable but child inheritances almost always needs a trustee; but that too bleeds the trust resources. True heirs need the inheritance to provide continued lifestyles that neither foster parents, adoptive parents, or next of kin may be able to provide. Conversely, high performance ski boats, extravagant vacations, etc, are not the heirs’ trust responsibility as too often requested; only the child’s portion of such activities. If lifestyle is too different from the providers then authorization should be trust ownership to be retained only if the child is the primary beneficiary….hence, the sad reality makes children pawns for the selfish gains of others.

Exactly, but it so in this case? 🤔

Edited by John Henry
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..