Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 1,359 Words
  • 1,127 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 31. Chapter 31

December came in with a small blizzard. School had been canceled, which left everyone stuck at home. Caleb spent most of his time in his room, avoiding his father. Bryan tried talking to his little brother, but he couldn't find a way of explaining Diego's situation without talking about the sexual assault, which meant that Caleb wasn't accepting that their dad had his reasons.

Steve decided to use the opportunity—and his captive audience—to convince the boys to try Dungeons and Dragons. Kenny, who still couldn't go home, was excited to try it, as was Caleb. Bryan joined to not hurt Steve's feelings, while Diego politely bowed out, promising to make it up, triggering a chorus of “Ews.”

Calvin spent most of his time along the East Coast, between Pennsylvania and Florida, mostly in rural areas. Diego wasn't sure how to take that. Most jobs were in the larger cities, but Calvin seemed to avoid them for the most part. The place he stayed the longest was in Georgetown, South Carolina, but that was about 16 months. He spent about a year bouncing around Kansas, Washington State and Rhode Island, which was a huge distance for such a small period of time.

Alright, Caleb,” Steve said, sounding conspiratorial, “A goblin stands before you, sword drawn. He snarls at you, with blood dripping from his pointed teeth. What do you do?”

I don't know,” Caleb said, trying to visualize the scene Steve was describing.

Hit it with your sword!” Kenny suggested enthusiastically. “Take the bastard's head off!”

Language!” Diego called from the living room.

Sorry!” Kenny yelled back. “But, yeah, kill it!” Kenny said to Caleb in a hushed voice.

How do I do that?” Caleb asked, looking at the pile of oddly shaped dice in front of him.

Grab two of those big ones,” Steve said, pointing at the dice. “Those are twenty-sided dice, also called d20s. Roll them both, since you have advantage on his attack.” Caleb rolled the marble-like dice in a decorated box Steve owned. “Good, you rolled a 10 and a 13. Since you have advantage, you get to use the higher of the two numbers, which is 13. Then you add your attack modifiers and proficiency bonus, which adds three to the roll, for a total of 16.” Steve checked his notes. “You needed to roll 14 or higher to hit it, which you did. Now, roll the six-sided die. Okay, you got a four, so you add your strength modifier, which is also a four, for a total of eight...and you killed the goblin!”

Yes!” Kenny said loudly. “Sorry, again, Mr. Padilla!”

It's okay,” Diego said, trying to ignore the noise.

There's a lot of math to this game,” Bryan said, disliking the game even more.

It's basic math, though,” Steve said, ignoring the boy's complaint. “The game isn't about math, anyway. It's about the story and having fun. The math is just there to make sure everything is fair.”

Bryan flipped through the book they used to make their characters. He didn't understand most of it, but it did have nice pictures of dragons, fairies and other fantasy creatures. He wanted to be a bad guy, but Steve wouldn't allow it.

Diego's eyes hurt a lot from looking at the screen of his laptop, so he put it down and went into the kitchen. The table was covered in grid paper with a bunch of doodles he didn't understand but somehow the boys did. Steve was talking about some dwarven mines being invaded by gnolls. “Everyone ready for lunch?”

Yeah, we can take a break for lunch,” Steve said, leaning back. “Might as well get up and stretch before we take on this dungeon.”

Bryan looked relieved but didn't say a word, while Kenny and Caleb discussed strategies. Bryan moved around the table and pointedly asked his father, “Do you need help?”

Diego grinned and said, “No, I think I've got this. Besides, do you need to work on your plans with your crew?”

Party,” Kenny corrected. “We're a party of adventurers.”

My bad,” Diego said to Bryan with a wink. “I'd hate to break up the party.”

Ugh,” Bryan said before sulking his way back to the table.

Mijo, what do you want for lunch?” Diego asked Caleb.

Caleb tensed up. “I'm not hungry.”

Diego was prepared for his son's defiance and attitude but it hurt, nonetheless. “Chico? How about you?”

I'm fine with whatever.”

Steve, Kenny?”

Tacos?” Kenny asked.

Yeah, tacos sound great,” Steve agreed.

You know I can make more than Mexican food, right?” Steve and Kenny shared a look that caused Bryan and Caleb to chuckle.

“Babe, we didn't--” Steve started to say.

Diego laughed and said, “I'm just fucking with you. We can have tacos. They pair well with white guilt.”

Bryan and Caleb busted up laughing, while Kenny and Steve blushed.

Due to the table being overtaken by Steve's game, they ate in the living room. Diego filled Steve in with what he found on Calvin, leaving both disappointed with the outcome thus far.

Johnson is like the most common last name in the US,” Steve said. “I'm surprised you found anything at all.”

Luckily, Calvin isn't common, but yeah, I get your point. I was hoping for a smoking gun or something, like a criminal record; instead, I keep running into address changes.”

Maybe he was running from something bad?” Bryan offered, unable to ignore the conversation between his parents.

Maybe,” Diego said, guessing at what his son was implying, “but I can't find what that might be.”

Can't Charlie do that? Isn't that his job?”

Charlie is more of an assistant who fills out paperwork,” Steve clarified. “It wouldn't hurt giving him this information, but Billy will have to hire a private investigator to do most of the work, provided he hasn't done it already.” He looked at the clock and empty plates. “Alright guys, let's get back to the game and let your dad do his work.”

Bryan gave a small groan but followed the others back to the kitchen.

Once everyone got back into the game, Diego decided to take a detour and explore something that had been bugging him for awhile. He felt nervous, but he needed answers. He looked over at the table, and Steve was too engrossed with describing a fight with some creature to pay attention to anything else. Diego hastily typed the name: William Parker IV.

Google gave him Billy's professional website, some ads, and a ton of articles. Diego started with Billy's Google page and looked at the reviews. He had a 4.6 out of 5, with mostly five-star reviews. A few were average, while a handful were one-star without giving any kind comment. One negative comment was from a woman who claimed that Billy purposefully derailed her boyfriend's criminal defense. Billy replied with, “LOL.” Classy guy, Diego thought.

Diego opened the first and most recent article. It was from a small time, local newspaper about Kenny's expulsion hearing. The details were all given with a liberal slant, which made Diego happy. He was concerned the conservative media would have a field day trying to turn the Thomases into martyrs. There was, however, a small blurb at the end that caught his attention:

William Parker IV, son of infamous lawyer and criminal, William Parker III, declined to comment on the pending litigation filed against him and his firm.”

Diego was aware that Billy's father died at the hands of the police, but he wasn't aware that Billy's father was also a lawyer or at least he didn't remember being told as much. There was also a potential lawsuit. Diego had read a couple more articles to get an understanding of the latter. Apparently, the Thomases and former superintendent were suing Billy for slander. Diego rolled his eyes. He wasn't surprised by any of it, given how self-righteous that group was. However, it was Billy's father much more interested in the moment.

After checking on his family one more time, Diego entered his new search history: William Parker III.

Oh my fucking god!”

Thanks for continuing to read this story. Please recommend, react, comment and reply. It helps a lot.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 7
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I usually have a guess (usually wrong) about what may happen in the next chapter but I have no idea what Diego found to get such a reaction. And how it could complicate the case. I do have one thought while I was typing this(probably wrong) Was Billy's Father Mob connected?

You're close....

  • Like 1
  • Wow 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

I'm not sure what could of caused Diego's reaction, wouldn't even be able to guess.

It's probably worse than you could guess....

  • Like 2
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

I was thinking that there is a photo with the Boy’s late grandmother being a relative of the slain lawyer ? 

I will say, "Nope," and you're not even close.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, John Henry said:

I will say, "Nope," and you're not even close.

Then it must be “ Calvin “ who worked for the mob ,Running from one hit to another 🔫🔫🔫

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, JohnnyC said:

Then it must be “ Calvin “ who worked for the mob ,Running from one hit to another 🔫🔫🔫

I'll refer you to my previous comment. 😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

There are so many possibilities @weinerdog which could have caused Diego's exclamation, and I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Many is the time you have "predicted" the outcome of an emerging plot line in some of the stories we have both read.

I so enjoy speculating in circumstances such as this and find that once again I cannot resist the temptation to do so, unlike @chris191070 who has the strength of character to resist such temptation. My speculations, for what they are worth:

  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Thomas Walker and may possibly be his father
  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Calvin and may possibly be his father
  • William Parker III bears a strong resemblance to Donna and may possibly have been her father
  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Elvis and may possibly have been his "love-child"
  • William Parker III in addition to being a lawyer and criminal was a part-time Elvis impersonator who married people in a Las Vegas wedding chapel, including Calvin and Donna
  • Diego slept with William Parker III when he was a younger man who was just starting to realise his attraction to men
  • William Parker III aka Wilhelmina Parquet was the first drag queen Diego met when he emerged on the "gay scene"

I have to agree with Diego's assessment of Billy's response to the negative Google review made by a woman whose boyfriend he represented. Even if her review was unjustified or a complete fabrication, his response was not the hallmark of professionalism one would expect.

A most enjoyable chapter @John Henry. Most of my speculations are of course absurd, but then again there may be one or more of them with even a grain of truth.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Summerabbacat said:

There are so many possibilities @weinerdog which could have caused Diego's exclamation, and I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Many is the time you have "predicted" the outcome of an emerging plot line in some of the stories we have both read.

I so enjoy speculating in circumstances such as this and find that once again I cannot resist the temptation to do so, unlike @chris191070 who has the strength of character to resist such temptation. My speculations, for what they are worth:

  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Thomas Walker and may possibly be his father
  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Calvin and may possibly be his father
  • William Parker III bears a strong resemblance to Donna and may possibly have been her father
  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Elvis and may possibly have been his "love-child"
  • William Parker III in addition to being a lawyer and criminal was a part-time Elvis impersonator who married people in a Las Vegas wedding chapel, including Calvin and Donna
  • Diego slept with William Parker III when he was a younger man who was just starting to realise his attraction to men
  • William Parker III aka Wilhelmina Parquet was the first drag queen Diego met when he emerged on the "gay scene"

I have to agree with Diego's assessment of Billy's response to the negative Google review made by a woman whose boyfriend he represented. Even if her review was unjustified or a complete fabrication, his response was not the hallmark of professionalism one would expect.

A most enjoyable chapter @John Henry. Most of my speculations are of course absurd, but then again they may be one or more of them with even a grain of truth.

 

 A joy to read but not even close....

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, John Henry said:

 A joy to read but not even close....

Aw I was sort of hoping for the Elvis love child one myself😄

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Calvin is Billy's brother.

I'm surprised no one guessed that Calvin was Kenny's father....

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:
  • William Parker III is the spitting image of Elvis and may possibly have been his "love-child"
  • William Parker III in addition to being a lawyer and criminal was a part-time Elvis impersonator who married people in a Las Vegas wedding chapel, including Calvin and Donna

I am voting for either one of the scenarios as depicted above....just saying, that and the 'smoking gin' just may have been found...

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drsawzall said:

I am voting for either one of the scenarios as depicted above....just saying, that and the 'smoking gin' just may have been found...

Um...nope. 😉

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..