Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 3,107 Words
  • 1,110 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 23. Chapter 23

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

Diego's eyes darted from Steve to his phone. “Didn't you just say that you're not sure if you wanted to be called 'Dad'?”

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we can't get married first,” Steve said, also looking at Diego's phone.

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

I thought we also agreed to take things slow.”

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

Aren't you going to answer that?”

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

"And keep you on your knees?"

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

Is that a 'yes,' then?”

Buzz, buzz, buzz....

Yes, damn it! Yes, I'll marry you!”

The phone continued to buzz as the crowd around them clapped. There were, of course, a few bitter glances, but the homophobes were too cowardly to do more than that. Steve stood and enveloped his fiancé in a tight embrace. The buzzing turned to Kenny's ringtone, which caused the couple to split.

Diego grabbed the phone, composed himself, and answered it. “What's going on, Kenny?” His smile faded immediately. “Right. Got it. We'll be right there.”

What's wrong?” Steve asked, looking concerned.

Caleb disappeared.”

Take my keys. I'll finish up here and meet you at the mall.”

I love you,” Diego said, kissing Steve as he took the car keys.

Love you, too.”

*  *  *

Kenny kept texting as the three teens headed to the food court and security office. He wanted to make sure that Diego heard about what happened before Bryan could say anything. Given how pissed off his boyfriend was, Kenny assumed that Bryan would focus on what Caleb did wrong instead of taking responsibility for his actions. He did feel bad for doing it, but Kenny couldn't help wondering if Caleb would've gone missing had Bryan not been an ass.

Bryan's mind raced. He was scared more than he showed. Caleb and Diego were his entire world, and the thought of losing his baby brother was maddening. He practically ran as he dodged bag-laden customers. Bryan knew if he stopped or slowed down, fear and anxiety would overwhelm him.

They came to a stop just outside of the food court at a nondescript door with a peephole in it as directed. Bryan knocked, barely able to stop himself from pounding on it. After a minute, a heavy set man in a gray security uniform opened the door.

Can I help you?”

I'm Bryan Padilla. The manager of the movie theater sent me here about my brother.”

Yeah, come on in.” He stood aside, as Bryan entered the room. It was smaller than he expected, with a single desk and a wall lined with monitors. “I've been looking for your brother, based on the description and time I was given.” The guard went to his desk and typed on a keyboard. He then pointed at a monitor in the middle of the wall. It showed the area just outside the theater, similar to the one the manager had looked at. The camera zoomed in and showed Caleb standing about twenty feet back from Bryan and the others. The guard pressed another button and the video started to play but was sped up. “It looks like your brother stood in place as you and your friends entered. Once you were inside, he turned around and headed towards the arcade.” More buttons were pressed, changing cameras. Caleb, indeed, walked to the arcade at the far end of the complex. The 11-year-old entered, got some tokens and played some games.

How long ago was this?” Bryan asked, unable to read the military time on the screen.

About the time your movie started, so a couple hours ago,” the guard replied, pressing more buttons, causing the image to double in speed. Caleb moved from game to game without really looking around. Soon, the image was slowed to twice normal speed, and the guard said, “It appears that your brother got bored or ran out of money, because he left and went to the food court; unfortunately, this is where we lost him.” Bryan could see why, as the large sitting area was very crowded with lines of people standing between tables making it difficult to see the faces of those sitting.

Kenny and Terra stepped out of the room, so Kenny could call Diego, who hadn't answered a single text. “Hey, it's me. Caleb is missing. We're near the food court. Alright.” To Terra, Kenny said, "Diego and Steve are coming,” but Terra was already marching towards the heart of the food court, with Kenny on her heels.

Terra didn't care whom she offended, as she made sure to make eye contact with each and every person they passed. Most people just gave her silent, disgruntled looks, while a couple asked what her problem was. Kenny did his best to explain, as he tried to keep up. The floor of the seating area was sunken with several levels, which Terra now found to dumb as hell. No wonder they can't see shit, she thought.

Terra!” Kenny called out causing her to stop. “I found him!” Kenny pointed to a table with three people seated at it. Caleb was on the far side, which faced their direction. He was eating a burger, and sat across from an older man and woman. The man was dressed in a basic blue t-shirt and jeans, while the woman was dressed in a very tacky, neon pink and medium gray unitard, which made her slender frame look skeletal, highlighting her protruding jaw. They could hear her high pitched laughter over the crowd.

Without a second thought, Terra marched towards Caleb, as Kenny sent Diego a text. “Where the fuck have you been?” Terra spat at the 5th grader who looked ready to wet himself.

Excuse me?” The woman snapped. “What the fuck are you and what make you think you can talk to my son like that?”

At those words, Kenny turned his phone camera on and pointed it at the group. Terra, however, replied, “That's funny, bitch. I was under the impression his mother died, and I know for a fact his dad doesn't have a wife.” To Caleb, she said, “Get your shit and move it!”

Caleb took the last remaining bite of his burger and grabbed a toy he had won from the arcade. He didn't know how to react since Terra had always been really nice to him before now.

He's not going anywhere with you,” the man finally spoke up. He turned in his seat, giving Kenny and Terra a proper look at him, and they instantly recognized bits of Bryan and Caleb; it was definitely Calvin. Calvin looked right at Kenny's camera and said, “Turn that off. I don't give you permission to film me.”

He doesn't need your permission,” Diego growled from behind the teens, causing them to jump. To his son, Diego snapped, “Move it.”

Before Caleb could move a muscle, the woman at the table shouted, “Security! Security! This man is trying to take our son!”

*  *  *

Billy checked his tie in the mirror. Usually his husband, Trevor, fixed his ties for him, but Trevor had a late meeting at work. Three squad cars with lights flashing were parked out front of the mall. He rolled eyes, pulled out his phone, took pictures and checked the identification against his database; they were all clean. He put his glasses on, opened his door and made his way into the building.

He looked around the food court till he found Steve, who was hard to miss being the tallest person within sight. “Excuse me,” he said, as he made his way towards the security office. “Steve,” Billy said, as he gave his childhood friend a hug. “Glad you finally called.”

Thank God you're here,” Steve said, looking very angry despite the warm welcome. “Everyone is in the office.”

Excellent,” Billy said with a smile. “Is there anything else I need to know before I'm thrown to the wolves?”

No, I think I covered everything.”

Great. Come on in then. This should be fun.” Billy didn't bother knocking as he opened the door and entered the very crowded and loud room. He took a quick look around, saw Diego and the boys, and said above the din, “Mr. Padilla and company, please stop talking.”

Who the fuck are you?” The woman demanded.

Who am I?" Billy said with a shocked chuckle, "I'm Mr. Padilla's counsel. William Parker IV, and who might you be, you foul mouthed tart?”

Clearly offended, though Billy couldn't tell if she fully understood what he had said, she replied, “Amanda Rickman. I'm Calvin's fiancé and the boys' stepmother.”

I see,” Billy said, dismissively. “There are definitely some inaccuracies with that statement, but you're inconsequential for the time being. Who's the officer in charge?” Billy already knew the answer but wanted to be more formal about his approach.

I am,” Lt. Collins said. He gave Billy a look of bitter annoyance, which was a familiar sight to the young lawyer.

Billy set down his briefcase, opened it and pulled out two envelopes, and handed one to Lt. Collins. “These are copies of the custody orders for both Bryan and Caleb Padilla.” He watched as the officer opened and inspected the documents.

Looks like everything's in order,” the lieutenant said. “Sorry for the hold up, Mr. Padilla, but you and your sons are free to go.”

Not so fast, Lieutenant,” Billy said, still smiling, handing over the second packet, which had a document stapled to it. “If you wouldn't mind.”

Are you kidding me?”

Not at all. We've known each other long enough for you to know that I don't have a measurable sense of humor when it comes to my clients. Now, if you would please service those.”

Lt. Collins turned around and handed the packet over to Calvin, who instinctively took it.

What's this?” Calvin asked.

Several things,” Billy said. “One is a No Contact Order. You are to remain at least 500 feet from my clients at all times, nor are you to have any direct or indirect contact with them, except through the Courts. There's also a copy of the original judgment for custody, as a courtesy. Lastly, it's our response to your Motion seeking reinstatement of your parent rights and visitation, which your attorney, Mr. Walker, had filed yesterday. As luck would have it, I was in the Court Clerk's Office at the same time, and don't worry; his copy is in the mail.” Billy turned to Amanda and said, “And you'll be happy to know that your name is also on the order, since it was in your cousin's fling.” Amanda looked stunned, causing Billy to laugh. “That's the same stupid look Tommy gave me when I said I was representing Diego. It must run in your family. Be a dear and tell him I said, 'Hello,' the next time you see him, which I'm sure will be this Monday from your holding cell.

Lieutenant, please place Ms. Rickman under arrest for filing a false police report, as she knew damn well that Mr. Johnson doesn't have custody of his biological children yet called the police and reported a potential kidnapping.”

That's fucking bullshit!” Calvin said, getting to his feet.

I assure you, Mr. Johnson, it isn't. Filing a false report is a serious crime, and Ms. Rickman isn't above the law.” It took two officers and a threat of an additional resisting arrest charge to get Amanda in handcuffs.

Hoping to get some kind of revenge, Calvin pointed at Kenny and shouted, “That kid made an illegal recording of me in the food court. I want him arrested.”

Billy looked at Kenny, then at Calvin and said, “I'm afraid we're in a one-party consent state, Mr. Johnson, which means this young man can video record you all he wants while you're in public, especially when you're already under the surveillance of mall security. Unless you have anything else stupid to add to the conversation, I'm done listening to you.” To the Lt. Collins, Billy added, “My business with you is over, at least for now. By the way, tell Martha I also said, 'Hello,' and thank her for the wonderful peach cobbler she serves at her deli. It's the best in town. Now, come on Diego, we have much to discuss.” Lt. Collin's face turned a dark red at the mentioning of his wife, as Billy escorted the Padillas from the room.

Once clear of the building, Diego said, “Thank you very much, Mr. Parker.”

Billy waved a hand and said, “Please, call me Billy. You've known my brothers, Ry and Charlie, for far too long to call me anything else; plus, 'Parker' is just my practicing name. Outside of the office, I'm just Billy Wimbish.”

Well, thanks again, Billy. I take it Steve called you.”

He did, but I've been waiting for your call for quite awhile.”

Sorry about that,” Diego offered, but Billy waved it away dismissively.

I would like to tell you this is all over,” Billy said, “but this is only the beginning. With the Calvin attempting to get his parental rights back, we'll be in court a lot. Thomas Walker is a good lawyer, who works for an even better firm.”

Yeah, I know,” Diego said, bitterly. “I had a 'free' consultation with him not too long ago that he charged me for.”

Really? Got any evidence?”

Yeah, I have a receipt.”

Great. I'll need a copy of that. His firm has a history, and I'd love to knock them down a few pegs. Getting Thomas Walker removed from the case will also grant us more time to prepare.” To Kenny he said, “I'm going to need a copy of that video, as well.” Kenny nodded. Returning to Diego, he added, “I'm going to need copies of everything you have on Calvin. I get he's the biological father of your kids, but I need everything including dirt you have. I can guarantee that Walker has already tried finding dirt on you, Steve and anyone else you're associated with. They're not going to play fair, so be prepared for the worst.”

Okay,” Diego said, not liking his lawyer's grave tone. “Aside from some family members, I doubt they'll find dirt on me, the boys or Steve.”

Speaking of Steve, I hear congratulations are in order.” Bryan, Caleb and the other kids, who had been quiet the enter time, broke out in a cacophony of questions. Billy said, over the noise, “Should I have issued a spoiler alert or something?”

Maybe,” Steve said, his smile returning. “We can discuss it at home. Now, all of you get in the car.” To his friend, Steve said, “Thanks again, Billy. I'll call you tomorrow, and say hi to Trevor and your dad for me.” The friends hugged before Billy shook the others' hands and left.

*  *  *

The ride home was very quiet. Once the lawyer had gone, Diego returned to being mad. He talked to the kids in stern one-word sentences, silencing them all. It was a tight fit in the far, with Caleb sitting between Diego and Steve, while the others where crammed in the back. Bryan and Kenny held hands, while Terra looked out the window. Everyone got lost in their own, private thoughts about the events at the mall, and they were home before they knew it.

Living room. Now,” Diego ordered, as everyone got out of the vehicle.

Caleb and Bryan took seats at opposite ends of the couch, Terra sat between them, while Kenny sat at Bryan's feet. Steve came in last and stood behind his fiancé, as Diego loomed over the children before him.

Kenny and Terra,” Diego started, “thank you for finding Caleb. I don't know what would've happened if you hadn't.”

I wasn't in danger,” Caleb said, defensively. However, the look his father gave him quelled any further objections.

You,” Diego said to Bryan. “You were supposed to be watching your brother. I don't care what he did to piss you off. It isn't an excuse. He could've been kidnapped and never seen again.”

I'm sorry,” Bryan said, fighting back his tears.

I appreciate the apology, Chico, but of all of you, you knew better and should've acted better. Your petty disagreements do not get to override your responsibility or the safety of Caleb. Is that understood?”

Yes Sir.”

And you,” Diego said to Caleb, making the boy's blood run cold. “Where to begin? I don't care how mad you are at your brother. When Steve and I aren't around, Bryan's in charge, and you know that. You don't get to be mad at your brother for telling you what to do, and you certainly don't get to wonder off on your own or wander off with strangers. There are bad people in this world, Mijo, and despite what you might think, Calvin is one of them. He and his girlfriend tried tonight to take you and your brother from me, and they lied to the cops to do it. Now, I can't imagine what you're feeling right now regarding your connect to Calvin, but this is not the right way of going about it. I am so very disappointed in you.”

Caleb broke down. Terra put her arm around the little boy and held him as he wept.

To the group, Steve said, “I was really hoping tonight was going to be one we all could celebrate.”

I'm sorry, Steve,” Bryan said, finally shedding tears.

I accept your apology, Bryan. Next time, though, could you give me a heads up?”

Next time?!” Diego said, spinning on his fiancé. “What do you mean 'Next time'?”

Everyone giggled, which broke the tension in the room. “Hey, I didn't do anything wrong here!” Steve said in protest. “I was with you the entire time, and I called a lawyer for you. If anything, I'm the hero of this story.”

Um, more like a side character promoted to a prominent secondary character,” Bryan corrected.

Of course,” Steve said, giving a theatrical bow. “Who am I to argue with a main character,” he added sarcastically.

Well, I think we're done with Act I,” Diego said.

Don't mix your writing styles, Dad,” Bryan quipped. “This isn't a play.”

Bed! Now!” Diego said, with some force reminding his sons that he hadn't forgotten they were in trouble; however, he and Steve did give everyone a hug good night.

Good night, Dads,” Caleb said, as he went down the hall to his room with the dog.

Steve couldn't help but smile, as he and Diego went to their room.

Thank you for reading this latest chapter. Please react, recommend, and comment. It really does help. Also, please check out my blog about this story, where I take deeper dives into the story and my writing process.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 16
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 13
  • Angry 2
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 minutes ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Did you meant to hit the key to the left of 'd' in your attempt to find an apt description of Amanda aka 'StepMonster'?

William Parker IV Esq. aka Billy calling her a "foul mouthed tart" was appropriate.

Thank goodness Terra and Kenny found Caleb. 

The back story between Billy and Lt. Collins must be a good one. Will have to check out John's blog to see if details are a tasty as Martha's "wonderful peach cobbler". 😋

 

Billy's personality in this situation is...interesting....  There's a backstory to this character (and his family) that won't ever see the light of day on this site, but I will get into some details when I review the chapter later on.  As for Billy and Lt. Collins, that'll probably be explain in a future chapter.

  • Fingers Crossed 5
Link to comment

You're only fashionably late, @drsawzall.

Thomas and Amanda are cousins.  Billy mentions it.

Yes, Diego paid for the consultation, but he didn't technically take on Diego as a client, but the potential conflict of interest will probably be dealt with later in the story.

Amanda and Calvin are in a situation they weren't prepared for.

  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment

Good news for once! And Bryan isn't grounded :)  This clearly isn't over yet but I like Billy. Diego may regret put experience over trustworthiness.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Arch Hunter said:

Good news for once! And Bryan isn't grounded :)  This clearly isn't over yet but I like Billy. Diego may regret put experience over trustworthiness.

This was a fun scene to write, especially for Billy.  I usually don't like what I write, but I did like the exchanges Billy had.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

That’s a twist I did not see coming. I figured something was fishy with Walker. But damn! That’s a whale sized fish.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Lee Wilson said:

That’s a twist I did not see coming. I figured something was fishy with Walker. But damn! That’s a whale sized fish.

I do like me some twists. 😁

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, John Henry said:

I do like me some twists. 😁

As do I.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..