Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 977 Words
  • 838 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 33. Chapter 33

This chapter may contain language that may trigger or upset some readers. Discretion is advised.

Steve came home with soup from the restaurant. He had the boys serve themselves as he brought Diego a bowl.

Thanks, Babe, but I'm really not hungry,” Diego said. He was lying in bed, mentally replaying his meeting with Billy.

You've got to eat something. My mom used to say, 'Starve a fever, feed a cold,' or something like that.”

I don't have a cold.”

You said you weren't feeling well, so unless there's something you're not telling me, you probably have a cold.” Steve set down the tray of soup and crackers next to his future husband. “Can I get you anything else? Aspirin, a cold press, heating pad?”

Seriously, I'm fine,” Diego said a bit sternly. Adjusting his tone, he said, “Sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that. I just want some privacy and to relax a bit.”

I understand,” Steve said, kissing his fiancé. I love you.”

I love you, too.”

Once Steve left the room, Diego felt relieved. He was sure that Billy would've told Steve about their conversation earlier. Steve knew and trusted Billy. He had also asked Diego to not fret over Billy's handling of the case or bother with Billy's biological father. Diego could see why now, but his curiosity had gotten the better of him. He told himself that he needed to know what kind of person and lawyer Billy was, since the custody of his boys was at stake, but if he was being honest with himself, he was only morbidly curious about Billy's history. It was so mysterious to him. He just had to know!

The things he heard about Billy's father still made him sick to his stomach. He couldn't understand how anyone could do such horrible acts. It was true that the victim was a child molester who victimized Billy's brother, but Diego couldn't think of any justification for the torture and savage brutality of how the man was brought to an end.

As much as Diego would like to think that he'd kill any man who molested his boys, he didn't think he could actually commit murder, let alone in a manner he associated with the Nazis or Jeffrey Dahmer. His brothers, also, might kill someone who touched his kids, but he was certain they'd never butcher the pervert alive, let alone feed them their own body parts.

Diego grabbed a small garbage can he had next to his bed and dry heaved. He wasn't thrilled that Steve came into the room, asking a million questions, but Diego had to admit that it was all his fault.

I said I'm fine,” Diego said, wiping his mouth clean. “I probably ate something that didn't agree with me.”

Then eat something that does,” Steve said, spooning up some soup.

I'm not a bab--” Diego protested as Steve shoved the spoon in his mouth.

You're my baby, Baby, and I'm going to take care of you until you feel better. Got it? Now open up.”

*  *  *

Feeling better?” Steve asked, as he got into bed with Diego.

A bit,” Diego replied, snuggling up to his soon-to-be husband. “Thank you for taking care of me today. I don't deserve you.”

Probably not,” Steve chuckled, “but it was the least I could do; after all, watching Will kill the mangled remains of Charlie's rapist isn't easy on the nerves, is it?”

Diego froze and his blood with it. “How--?”

Are you seriously asking how I found out that you went to Billy's office to confront him about his father's past? Diego, I love you with all my heart, but have got a lot to learn. For starters, if you're wanting to be sneaky, you might want to clear your search history from your computer. Your searches will pop up on your browser if certain words are typed in.”

You went looking through my computer?” Diego asked, clearly offended.

You don't get to claim the high ground, Babe. You gave me access to your laptop when I moved in, remember? We agreed to give each other access to our electronics as a show of honesty and respect. Also, it's when you type in 'Will Ferrell' you get 'Will Parker' as a suggestion. Gotta love Google for that.”

Oh. Sorry.”

Lastly, Charlie called me after Billy sent him for donuts. Charlie guessed why you were there and gave me a heads up, just in case you couldn't handle the video.”

I didn't watch it,” Diego said, feeling relieved yet defeated. “Billy tried pushing me into it, but I just couldn't.”

Be glad you didn't. It's horrific.”

You've seen it then?”

Unfortunately, I asked once I found out about it. I was young and ignorant. I couldn't sleep right for over a month.”

I saw an image from it, and couldn't bring myself to do it.”

Again, be glad you didn't. Billy's stepdad is still in therapy for the whole thing.”

I bet he is.” Diego pulled himself together and said, “I'm sorry I went against your wishes. You asked me to drop it, and I couldn't let it go. I should've trusted you more.”

I forgive you,” Steve said, kissing Diego. “And I get it. As much as I love the boys, I can't imagine what you must be going through, and I don't blame you for wanting to make sure all your bases were covered properly; however, I will never ask you to do something—or in this case not do something—without a good reason.”

I get that now. So, do you think I should be punished somehow?” Diego asked with an impish grin.

Oh, I think you've been through enough for today; plus, you said you weren't feeling well, so I took care of myself earlier after putting the boys to bed.” Steve smiled, kissed Diego once more and turned off the light.

Sorry about the break between chapters. I wanted to take to the holidays off and enjoy my time off. Please follow, react, recommend and comment. It really helps a lot.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 19
  • Wow 2
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Really nice that Diego and Steve had a moment or two without kids present. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..