Jump to content
    John Henry
  • Author
  • 2,651 Words
  • 652 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is meant for mature audiences.  Reader discretion is advised.

Thicker Than Water - 41. Chapter 41

Packing up Kenny's old apartment was stressful. Kenny was a wreck. He didn't sleep much, with it being a new place and having not slept in an actual bed in a while. He also wanted to be held by Bryan. Around 3:30am, he considered sneaking into the other room but fought off the urge. After everything Billy and Trevor were doing for him (and had already done), it seemed too disrespectful. So, Kenny didn't get much sleep when Trevor woke him up around 8am.

Nobody warned the adults that Bryan wasn't a morning person, so they were shocked when Bryan only communicated in grumbles and huffs. Thankfully, Billy and Trevor let it go.

Billy drove everyone to the apartment about an hour later. Bryan was more awake and apologized for his attitude.

Don't worry about it. Charlie is the same way,” Billy said.

*     *     *

Diego and Steve had to work, so it would be the first full day with the four of them. Billy said the movers would be there around noon, so they had a few hours to get Kenny's room packed. Even though no packing had started, Kenny felt that the place was already empty. The rooms were cold, and Trevor turned on the heaters. Kenny and his mom had lived there most of his life; in fact, he didn't ever remember living anywhere else.

Bryan and Kenny were put in charge of packing up Kenny's room, while Billy and Trevor did their best with the rest of the apartment. Before they started, Bryan held Kenny close and assured him that no matter what happened, they were together. Kenny had never loved his best friend more.

Around a half-hour after they started, there was a loud knock on the front door. A few seconds later, Billy cussed and there was some kind of argument. Bryan and Kenny left the bedroom and saw Quinton and James standing just inside the doorway.

You're supposed to be in school, that's why!” Trevor said. “Your dads will kill you, and frankly, I wouldn't blame them.”

And we just want to help our new cousin--” James started to say.

--only cousin--” Quinton interjected and clarified.

--move to our favorite uncles'--”

--only uncles'--”

“--Place.”

What's wrong with that?” They finished in unison.

Bryan finally understood that, despite not being identical, they might as well have been.

No,” Trevor said, firmly.

Come on,” Billy said, clearly marking himself as the softy in the relationship. “We could actually use the help, and we can explain to their dads that it will be more of a punishment than a reward; plus, they're actually doing something for the right reason...for once.”

Fine,” Trevor said, throwing up his hands, “but you get to explain it to your brothers.”

I love you!”

Save that till after Ry and Charlie yell at you,” Trevor said, kissing his husband. “As for you two,” he added, pointing at his nephews, “Quinton, you help Uncle Billy in the kitchen, and James, you can pack up and clean the bathroom.”

Why do I have to clean the bathroom?”

Because we all know who's idea it really was to come here.”

Actually,” Quinton said, quietly, “it was my idea, Uncle Trevor. James only came along, so I wouldn't be the only one who got in trouble.”

Billy and Trevor exchanged quizzical looks. Bryan got the feeling that Quinton never took the lead on anything until now. “Okay then,” Trevor said, recovering the situation, “Quinton, you get bathroom duty, and James, you're in the kitchen. Quinton, I want that room spotless; you got it?”

Yes, Sir.”

Bryan and Kenny returned to the bedroom, closing the door behind them.

They do know I'm not their cousin, right?” Kenny asked his boyfriend.

Probably. Quinton, at least, isn't dumb enough to think so. Besides, why wouldn't you want cousins? You don't have any, anyway, so why not run with it?”

I guess.”

*     *     *

The movers hadn't shown up by noon, so Trevor took the boys to lunch, while Billy stayed behind waiting. He also needed to call his brothers and make other calls to clients, while he was at it. Trevor took the boys to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. He felt it was the most practical way to feed four teenage boys.

Kenny and Quinton talked about the new electronics Billy bought, and Quinton suggested that they stream together on Twitch, and maybe start a Minecraft server like Hermitcraft.

James and Trevor talked about sports and James joining football over the summer. It was clear they had a tight bond, and that James had a lot of respect for his uncle.

Bryan felt like the odd man out. He wished he had his phone, so he could have something to do, while everyone else talked. It had only been a day, but he missed his dads and brother. He didn't know why, but he noticed that depression was popping up more and more often, especially since Calvin started his bullshit. Some nights, he just cried himself to sleep for no reason.

Hey, sorry I'm late,” a welcoming, familiar voice called out.

Dad!” Bryan said, as he saw Steve walk towards the table. He jumped from his seat and ran to the man. It had been ages since an adult had picked him up, given he had been taller than Diego by 5th grade, so he was shocked, yet pleased when Steve lifted him off the ground and held him. “I missed you,” Bryan whispered.

I missed you, too, Buddy.” Neither cared that people were staring; after all, Steve was very tall, and Bryan wasn't exactly short for 14. Steve didn't set Bryan down till they reached the table. James moved, so Steve could sit next to Bryan.

What are you doing here?” Bryan asked.

I thought I'd have lunch with you guys. Billy sent me a text this morning and asked if I could come by.”

Oh,” Bryan said, unable to keep the disappointment from his voice.

Something wrong?”

No. I was just hoping you'd stay and help.”

I wish I could, but I have work.”

I understand. Don't worry about it.”

Steve put his arm around Bryan and asked, “Are you sure you're okay?”

Bryan only nodded and looked at his plate. He wasn't feeling hungry anymore.

Steve looked at Kenny and said, “I heard Billy got you a new phone.”

Yep,” the boy said, pulling it out of his pocket. “Want to add your number?”

Duh,” Steve said, playfully, taking the phone from Kenny. Once he handed the phone back, Steve asked Bryan, “Did you give Kenny your number?”

No. I don't have my phone, remember? Dad took it after he found out that Calvin was messaging me.”

Ah, yeah, I remember now, but that was like months ago, right?”

Yeah, but he still hasn't given it back.”

No, I suppose he hasn't...which is why I'm giving it back.” Steve reached inside his jacket and pulled out Bryan's phone. “Now, the same rules apply as last time, but there's also no contacting Calvin without telling me or your dad. Got it?”

Yes, Sir,” Bryan said, a little happier. “Dad?”

Yeah, Buddy?”

I love you.”

I love you, too, Bryan. I'll text between classes and can come by Billy's after work if you want.”

You don't have to.”

I know I don't have to, but I really do miss you. If you'd rather I not--”

--No! I mean, yeah, I'd like you to come by...if you want.”

Steve hugged Bryan before getting himself some food.

*     *     *

It's cool Steve is going to be your stepdad,” James said to Bryan as they left the restaurant. “He's been like an uncle to us for our entire lives, so it's like we're going to be cousins.”

Yeah, I guess.” Bryan didn't understand the twins' obsession with having cousins. He and Caleb had more cousins than they could count. He didn't like stereotyping his family, but of all his aunts and uncles who had kids, Luis was the only one who didn't have any, while the others had at least 4 each. His Uncle Carlos had almost as many as Nick Cannon and by about as many different women. Abuela nearly had a heart attack whenever Carlos mentioned a new girlfriend. Of course, she gets on Luis about having kids, too.

Abuela would say, “Your brother is gay and has two kids, Luis! When are you giving me grandbabies?”

While Luis's usual response was, “I'll borrow some from Carlos. He's got a few spares.”

This usually resulted in him getting smacked on the shoulder by his mother.

James continued, “It sucks having a large, gay family, sometimes. Quinton, Beth and I are the only grandkids, so it feels like being an only child.”

I can see that, I guess. Caleb and I don't know anyone on our birth parents' sides, so we only have Diego's family and soon, Steve's, which I guess, by a weird extension, includes you.”

James smiled. “Yeah, that's awesome. Maybe instead of football, I could do soccer next year and we could be on the same team?”

Bryan chuckled. James frowned. “Sorry. No, it would be cool to play soccer together.”

Then why did you laugh?” It was clear that James didn't like being the butt of a joke, especially one he wasn't in on.

I was thinking that, because I'm into guys and you're straight, we're not exactly on the same team.”

James rolled his eyes and laughed. “Har, har, har. What do you call a guy who has a kitchen fetish?”

Bryan looked confused and said, “I don't know.”

Pan-sexual.”

It was Bryan's turn to roll his eyes.

Now, we're even.” James playfully punched Bryan's shoulder.

As much as Bryan didn't like it, he felt himself becoming friends with James.

*     *     *

True to his word, Steve sent Bryan a text every 50 minutes. Bryan tried to pretend that he was annoyed by the texts, but Kenny knew better, especially when Bryan's face lit up whenever he got a notification. Kenny hoped Bryan's face looked that happy whenever he messaged.

The movers had everything out by 3pm, and with the help of the twins, the rest of the apartment was done by 4:30pm. Diego and Caleb had stopped by to see how things were progressing and to lend a hand or four. Bryan hugged his dad and thanked him for trusting him with the phone again.

You're welcome, Chico. Did Steve talk to you about the rules?”

Yes. If Calvin tries talking to me, I'm to tell you or Dad.”

Yes, but we want to know before you send any messages, got it? No more surprises.”

Yes, I got it, and I doubt I'd ever want to talk to him again after Saturday, anyway.”

Diego wanted to encourage his eldest to not have contact with Calvin, but knew it was really up to Bryan to make that call. “That choice is yours, Chico. You're getting old enough to start making some decisions on your own, but don't feel pressured into having a relationship with him. He has to earn it.”

I know, Dad. The only good thing that man ever did was leaving us with you.”

Don't make me cry!” Diego said, taking a steady breath.

Why? It's what the audience wants.”

Wasn't it Billy Joel who sang Leaving a Tender Moment Alone?” Billy interjected, as he walked by.

Bryan looked confused and asked, “What Green Day song is that?”

All three adults groaned.

*     *     *

Charlie and Ry came by the house around 6pm to get the twins. Neither was thrilled that their sons skipped school, again, even if they were doing it with good intentions.

You're grounded, btw,” Ry said, taking their phones.

What else is new?” James asked.

What did you say?” Charlie asked sternly.

Sorry.”

You wouldn't be grounded if you did what you know you're supposed to do.”

Would you have let us help if we asked?”

Yes, actually. In fact, we offered, but Uncle Trevor said you weren't needed.” James looked shocked at this revelation.

Well, I was dead wrong,” Trevor said. “I don't think we could've done it without them, to be honest, at least not in a single day.”

That's good to know,” Ry said, “but you two still didn't ask permission to leave school and took off on your own. Something could've happened and nobody would've known until it was too late.” There was a strain in Ry's voice that Bryan picked up on but didn't know what it was. “You guys can't do that to us.”

I know,” James said, looking sad. “I'm really sorry, Papa.”

Ry hugged his son and said, “We love you so much, James.”

I love you and Daddy, too.”

Sensing the tension was too thick, Billy asked, “Are you guys staying for dinner?”

Are you cooking?” Ry asked suspiciously.

Fuck no. I was going to order pizza.”

Trevor chuckled and said to Bryan and Kenny, “Billy and Charlie can't cook for shit, so if they offer to make you food, at least try to be polite about it.”

Excuse me,” Billy said, clearly offended. “I can microwave a burrito without it blowing up now. Fuck you very much.”

How much of it's still frozen when you're done?” Ry asked.

I was talking to my husband if you don't mind,” Billy said, mockingly waving his brother-in-law off.

Trevor, again, said to Bryan and Kenny, who were greatly amused, “Billy has burnt water before.”

What?” Bryan replied. “I learned how to boil water when I was six.”

Well, weren't you just a little over achiever,” Billy laughed.

Hey, don't pick on my kid,” Steve said. “His old man won't put up with that crap.”

My bad, my bad! Not all of us had Michelin rated parents growing up.”

Yeah, but you had Ry living with you since we were 12, so there really isn't an excuse.”

Yes there is! We had Ry to cook, so why would Charlie and I need to learn how?”

Love you, too, Billy,” Ry groaned. “Anyway, we can't stay for dinner. Mom is coming over soon, and she wants to see the twins for some reason.”

It's because we're her favorite--” James said.

--Only--” Quinton interjected.

--Grandsons.” James finished.

*     *     *

"How do you think the twins found your apartment?" Bryan asked, changing into his night clothes.

"Quinton said they have a parental tracker as part of their phone plan. The adults can track their locations, and it works in reverse, apparently."

Bryan pulled back the blankets and got into bed. He looked over at Kenny and smiled. “You look so sexy,” he said, as Kenny finished applying his overnight acne cream.

Shut up,” Kenny giggled. Once finished, he got in bed next to his boyfriend. “I missed you last night,” he said, curling up to Bryan, resting his head on his love's chest.

Bryan kissed the top of Kenny's head and said softly, “Same. I'm glad my Dads were able to convince Trevor to let us sleep together.”

Too bad it's only sleeping.”

Bryan chuckled and ran his hands through Kenny's hair. “You're a naughty boy.”

Sorry, Daddy,” Kenny said, then laughed.

Uh! Well, if there was a mood, you just killed it.” Bryan tickled Kenny, causing his boyfriend to laugh almost too loudly. “Anyway, do you think you'll be happy here when I leave?”

Kenny purposefully tried not thinking about it. “Maybe. We'll see.”

Well talk to the 'rents and see if you can stay the night this Saturday.”

Kenny replied with soft snoring. Bryan kissed the top of Kenny's head again and closed his eyes. He fell asleep running his hands through Kenny's hair, glad they were still in a good place.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this chapter wasn't too boring. Please recommend, review, react, comment and reply. It all helps.
Copyright © 2023 John Henry; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 22
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Thank you for reading this story.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

4 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Awww 🥲 some chapter @John Henry. The separation of Bryan from his family will hopefully only be a short term thing. Moving out of the apartment (the "only home" he ever knew with his mom) was hard on him. Being separated from Kenny is hard on him, but it's not forever because Kenny has his back.

They still have to be extra cautious as far as Calvin is concerned.

 

Bryan was only staying a week with Kenny to help him adjust to living with Billy and Trevor.  Being away from his family has been difficult, but he's still only 14.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

@John Henry I feel you are your own worst critic. Your statement which appears to border on an apology "Yeah, I know it's yet another filler chapter" is not accepted by this reader, and seemingly not by my fellow readers who have commented overwhelmingly positively on this chapter.

This chapter may lack the melodrama of those where Calvin makes an unwanted appearance or those where Billy is representing the family in Court, but for me it made the chapter no less worthy of very favourable comments. As you have indicated yourself it was about character development for the twins, and presenting the contrast between Kenny's life living with his mother to his "new" life as Billy and Trevor's foster son. I consider you have succeeded on both fronts. 

This is not a criticism, but I thought Kenny was a little "undersold" earlier in the story, so for him to be taking a more prominent role has been most welcome. He is an integral part of the Padilla family because of his evolving relationship with Bryan. He has contributed greatly to Bryan's growth from awkward and sullen teen to a teen far less so. It has been my observation he has also contributed, and not insignificantly so, to Bryan's growing acceptance of and blossoming relationship with Steve. 

And finally, this chapter was worth its weight in gold for the statement made by Bryan “I know, Dad. The only good thing that man ever did was leaving us with you." Bravo Bryan

I am certainly my own worst critic and have never denied it. Lol  I'm not one who generally likes filler chapters unless it progresses the plot, and we all know that the hearing will be sooner than later.  If I were a reader, I'd be annoyed that I haven't gotten to the "good bits" yet. Lol  I do appreciate the support and sentiment, though.

Kenny was certainly undersold early on, because I wasn't intending him to have such a bit part to play in this tale.  To be honest, I only have very loose idea of where this story is going, so we're all on the same chaotic ride.  All your points regarding Kenny are valid, for sure, which is also why I've started to do more with him (hell, I've even forgotten about the dog until recently).  Kenny still has his role to play in this drama, and we'll soon see why and how.

I'm actually surprised nobody has mentioned the restaurant scene where Bryan runs into Steve's arms.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

What a doofus I though I commented earlier in the day but I didn't click send:blink: Duh.

Such a drastic change in Kenny's life. I can't see a situation where is mom gets better and then Kenny's to live in that situation again.I'm thinking if she gets better she'l move into Billy and Trevor's place.

James rolled his eyes and laughed. “Har, har, har. What do you call a guy who has a kitchen fetish?”

Bryan looked confused and said, “I don't know.”

“Pan-sexual.

That one is so obvious I'm surprised I never heard it before.

There was a strain in Ry's voice that Bryan picked up on but didn't know what it was.

I take that to mean something tragic happened in Ry's life and something James and Quinton did triggered a memory

Yes and no.  It's something that those who have read the Growing Up trilogy on Nifty will know by now, especially if they made it through the second novel.  To keep things short and GA friends, Charlie was kidnapped and assaulted (to put it lightly).  Ry still harbors guilt and fears that it could happen to their kids, too, especially with how independent they are.  That trilogy very much violates the guidelines for GA (and technically does on Nifty, as well), so it will never be posted here, nor is it required reading for this story.  It's the reason why Charlie broke down in his car after Diego explained what Calvin did to him.  Those stories aren't for everyone, and though the third novel is still being released chapter-by-chapter, by reading this story, you've already spoiled the ending for the trilogy.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

"Leave a Tender Moment Alone" is the title of a song from Billy Joel's An Innocent Man album.  Billy Joel and Billie Joe sound the same, hence Bryan's remark about Green Day.  In other words, Bryan made his dads feel their ages.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, John Henry said:

"Leave a Tender Moment Alone" is the title of a song from Billy Joel's An Innocent Man album.  Billy Joel and Billie Joe sound the same, hence Bryan's remark about Green Day.  In other words, Bryan made his dads feel their ages.

I searched the 'net for any connection between Billy Joel and Billie Joe and could find none. I am certain I would never have made the connection as I was trying to connect them musically, more specifically the song title. Given An Innocent Man was released in 1983 would it not pre-date Diego and Steve too? Having said this, I guess Uptown Girl is still played on some radio stations given it was a substantial hit.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

I searched the 'net for any connection between Billy Joel and Billie Joe and could find none. I am certain I would never have made the connection as I was trying to connect them musically, more specifically the song title. Given An Innocent Man was released in 1983 would it not pre-date Diego and Steve too? Having said this, I guess Uptown Girl is still played on some radio stations given it was a substantial hit.

I haven't given the ages of the adults, though I roughly know how old they are.  I think it's clear that Bryan, Kenny, Caleb and the twin are Gen Z, making the adults Millennials, so Green Day would be more on the adults' radar than Bryan's; however, the Beatles and Journey are still well known among Millennials and Gen Z, so it isn't a stretch; plus, I like to think of Steve as an "old soul," who probably had neo-hippie, Gen X parents who listened to a bunch of rock from the 50s through the 90s, so he would've been exposed to everyone from Duke Ellington and Sam Cooke to Nirvana and En Vogue growing up.

Edited by John Henry
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drsawzall said:

This was a fantastic chapter showing remarkable growth with all the major characters...it was very enjoyable to see...I was moved with Bryan's reaction to Steve showing up at the Chinese Restaurant...seemingly without trying Steve has cracked Bryan's facade in such a manner, and have commented on this previously, that he's allowed Bryand to come to respect and love him on his own, simply by being there and acting in a steady non-judgmental manner.

Loved the interaction of the twins as they cover for each other, the byplay between Billy and Trevor and that Billy out of the courtroom is truly a big old softie...

I keep holding my breath, wishing old Judge Crusty Pants, who suffers from the medical condition known as ''stickstuckupyourasssideways' expires as the condition is known to be terminal...but then what fun would that be without seeing him get his just deserved comeuppance...

Steve has always been that kind of character.  He does what's right, even if it rocks the boat, and supports the people he loves just by letting them be themselves.  He's often the rock that everyone leans on, and Bryan finally knows that.

Billy has his moments but yes, Billy in the courtroom is not the Billy outside of it.  The twins have a very tight relationship and bond.  They're still brothers who fight and stuff, but none of that changes how they really feel about each other.

Sadly, Judge Crusty Pants will not die any time soon, but there are developments coming in the next few chapters.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..