Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,191 Words
  • 3,564 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Decision for Jarren - 20. Chapter 20

The boys need to figure a few things out.

The following day Jarren’s MRI did indeed show a vast improvement. The swelling was almost gone and the bruised area was a little smaller as well. Dr. Mayfield was happy with the results and told Jarren that they could discharge him the next day. Jarren had graduated to a cane, and even that wasn’t really necessary, it was just a precaution that his therapist wanted him to use for several days in case there were any issues with his head. Jarren’s headaches had lessened, but he would occasionally get a bout of vertigo and the room would suddenly spin around for a few seconds. Dr. Mayfield assured him that it was all part of the nature of his injury. Jarren had finally managed to focus on his phone screen and was able to read for a short time without getting nauseous. He absorbed as much information as he could regarding traumatic brain injuries. From what he had read, he was actually pretty lucky. Things could have been much worse if they hadn’t been able to get the swelling under control.

The problem still remained as to what he was going to do when he was discharged. His Mom, of course, wanted him to go back up north. He adamantly refused. Mazen offered to stay and sleep on the couch, but Jarren nixed that idea as well. Ditto for his Mom staying. Jarren knew that Dalton Development had already started on the planning and development for the Larkin project and Mazen needed to be there to help out Dad, not to mention the projects that they had already committed to prior to be awarded the Larkin contract. Mazen was overseeing the new banquet facilities for The Barn restaurant where he and Cassie planned on getting married in the fall. Mom needed to be there for Dad as well to make sure he didn’t overdo it.

Everyone was at a stalemate and there was no solution forthcoming. By mid-afternoon they were all frustrated and cranky. A soft knock on the doorframe broke the silence that had descended and Jarren looked to see Maddie and Jeff standing in the doorway. He was able to give them a genuine smile as he was grateful for the interruption.

Maddie came over and gave both men warm hugs as did Jeff. Maddie had a plastic grocery bag filled with homemade cards and drawings that the kids had done for them. Jarren was humbled by all of the get well wishes and how much the kids missed them. It was so satisfying to realize that what he and Nash did by volunteering made a difference in these kids’ lives.

Jeff managed to break the happy bubble that currently surrounded Jarren by asking him when he was getting out.

Jarren’s face fell and he explained that he was supposed to be discharged the following day, but they were unable to come up with a viable solution for where he was going to stay. Dr. Mayfield wasn’t comfortable with him being by himself and medically he was ready for discharge. If Jarren stayed on as an inpatient beyond the next day, insurance would most likely not cover any part of his stay. The hospital would then become a really expensive hotel, one without the luxury amenities to go along with the pricetag.

Maddie looked at Jeff, and Jarren saw one of those unspoken moments of communication that happened between couples right before Maddie said “You can stay with us. We have plenty of room at the farm house and both Jeff and I are around all day to keep an eye on you.”

Jarren was silent for a moment before answering, “Are you really sure? I don’t want to impose on you.”

Jeff chimed in and informed him “Jarren, there is no way you would be an imposition, far from it. Nash was a huge help when we were first starting up the therapy program. His encouragement is a big part of why we were able to be so successful with the program. You’ve become a part of our farm family just as much as he is and we’re happy to help out.”

It certainly seemed like a viable opportunity to Jarren, and looking at Nash, who nodded his head in agreement, he decided that it was the perfect solution. His Mom and Mazen looked relieved as well as his decision was made. He thanked them both and they assured him that he was more than welcome.

The rest of Maddie and Jeff’s visit was spent in pleasant and lively conversation. Maddie told them about an equine rescue organization that had approached them, asking if they would be interested in fostering a few horses. Maddie was a little hesitant as she knew that any fosters had a high probability of becoming permanent residents of the farm and she didn’t want Jeff or herself to become over extended. So far that was the biggest concern. It seemed like the pros would outweigh the cons in the end.

Nash was the voice of reason and suggested that they go ahead and foster, but limit the number of horses and they would need to agree to actively look for permanent homes for the animals under their temporary care. He also suggested that they consider hiring someone at least part time to help Jeff out with the day to day duties of taking care of so many animals.

When Jeff and Maddie had first taken over the farm from his parents, they had insisted that Jeff write out a business plan as part of the purchase agreement. They agreed that the maximum number of horses and ponies that the acreage could comfortably handle was 50 and they had kept to that as a rule. They currently had 46 horses stabled there. Boarding fees provided the bulk of their income, while the riding lessons supplemented it. The therapy program was operated strictly on volunteer time and donations from individuals and organizations that Maddie solicited. The biggest expense that the therapy program faced was the cost of the special saddles and other tack that was needed in order for the kids to ride safely.

When Jeff and Maddie left they had tentatively decided to take in two fosters and see how things went. Jeff told Nash he would double check the farm’s finances to determine how much additional staff they could afford to hire. He didn’t think there would be a problem with at least one, if not two part-time hands to help out. Nash suggested that they ask Jester first. He was in college, and what college kid couldn’t use a little extra cash?

Maddie told Jarren to let her know when he found out what time he would be discharged the following day. Mazen and his Mom would drive him out to the farm and Maddie invited them to stay for the night and she wouldn’t take no for an answer. They would fly back to Massachusetts the day after. Jarren insisted that they had been gone from home for too long. He had started to get angry memes from Cassie hinting that he had kidnapped her fiance. He knew she was joking, but he also knew she missed Mazen.

Mazen and Mom left soon after Maddie and Jeff and both Jarren and Nash were happy for the quietness. Dinner came and went and Dr. Bryant stopped by to check on Nash. Kaitlyn had apparently informed him of Liam’s opinion of Nash’s stump and the good doctor assured him that he would not have to live with a penis stump forever as the swelling and redness would eventually go away. How he was able to say that with a straight face no one will ever know, but Kaitlyn did tell them later that the doctor had busted out in laughter when she relayed what had happened prior to his coming in to the room. Nash had a feeling he would always be known as the guy with the penis stump. It was all in good fun and he could live with it.

Knowing it was Jarren’s last night in the hospital Nash told him, “Come here and bring your pillow.” He slid over on the bed to make room and Jarren closed the door to their room and pulled the curtain closed around the bed as well. He settled next to Nash as carefully as he could. It took some creative maneuvering, but Jarren was finally able to position himself so that he and Nash were both comfortable, which in and of itself was a small miracle. The hospital bed was not exactly designed for two tall, well built men to share. He was plastered to Nash’s right side with his head nestled on the soft material of Nash’s shirt covering his chest. Nash had his right arm hooked over Jarren’s shoulder, holding him firmly in place. Jarren had his right leg draped over Nash’s. Even with just the thin sheet covering them, Jarren knew he would be sweating up a storm, but he wouldn’t have it any other way.

Being so close got both men hard so Jarren took the initiative and slid his and Nash’s sleep pants down just far enough to free the hard shafts that had been neglected for way too long. He scooted even closer so that he was able to grasp both of them, and Nash covered Jarren’s hand with his own. Together they stroked and squeezed with Nash dictating the pace. Jarren lost it first and Nash covered his mouth with his own to muffle the sweets sounds he was making. That threw Nash over the edge as well and he kept his lips locked onto Jarren’s while his own sounds were absorbed as his body shook with release. The kissing continued long after the orgasms ended. They had needed this connection badly and neither man was willing to end it. When they finally broke apart each of them let out a sigh of contentment.

Jarren reluctantly got up, slowly, not wanting to trigger a bout of vertigo and he peeled off his shirt which was now damp with their combined cum. Nash pulled off his soiled shirt as well. Jarren threw them into the bag that his Mom had left for dirty laundry and pulled two clean shirts off the shelf near the window. He left his cane and made it into the bathroom to clean up, his legs still a little shaky. He soaked a washcloth with warm water and wrung out the excess before heading back out to Nash. Nash had already used the urinal and was grateful for the warm cloth to wash up with. Jarren couldn’t help but to watch as he took care of his now mostly flaccid appendage. Soft or hard, Jarren loved to look.

When Nash was done, Jarren tossed him a clean shirt and then climbed back into bed, getting settled as comfortably as he could. He doubted that he would last all night there, especially once Nash’s internal furnace kicked in, but for now he was going to enjoy the closeness for as long as he could.

Nash still had a long road ahead of him. Dr. Bryant had told him that he would be starting physical therapy here at the hospital, and depending on his progress he might need to be transferred to a rehab facility, but if he did well then he could be discharged home and continue therapy on an outpatient basis. The goal was to get him discharged as soon as possible, provided it was safe to do so. It had been explained to Nash and Jarren after the penis stump incident that the swelling may take another two to four weeks to go down completely. The incision had finally healed enough that they were able to use a compression stocking to help alleviate the swelling. Nash, as well as Jarren would need to be taught how to properly put it on.

Nash would be fitted for a temporary prosthetic foot at some point during his therapy and before being discharged so that he could get used to it. Learning how to walk with one would come later, once the swelling was gone. They knew that they still had a dilemma of where they would stay. Nash’s house was small and Jarren wasn’t sure how accessible it would be for a wheelchair. Being a rental, they both knew they couldn’t make all the renovations that would be necessary to remain there long term. He had the start of a solution in his mind, but there were still too many missing pieces so he didn’t mention it to Nash. Instead he cuddled up next to him and managed to stay put until the early morning shift change. Renee had only disturbed their slumber once during the night, needing to give Nash the antibiotics that he was still required to take. Thankfully all of his medications had been switched over to oral dosages and his IV lines had been removed. It made sleeping together a whole lot easier.

The following day Jarren’s discharge went well as far as hospital discharges go. Dr. Mayfield came in after lunch to do a final assessment. He was given a list of instructions and do’s and dont’s a mile long. It was bittersweet having to kiss Nash goodbye, but Jarren promised to be back every day.

It was late afternoon when they finally arrived at the farm. Jeff was out at the barn and waved at them as they got out of the rental car. Jarren used the cane to appease his mother, she was still fretting over him. Maddie greeted them with hugs and kisses and showed Jarren to the room she had ready for him. It was on the first floor, opposite the kitchen. There was a small bathroom attached with a walk in shower stall. Jarren was looking forward to finally washing his hair properly. Dr. Mayfield had told him that his incision had healed enough that infection wouldn’t be a problem and the stitches would eventually dissolve on their own. Mom had bought dry shampoo for him to use during his hospital stay, but it was nowhere close to an actual shampoo clean.

Maddie had gone all out with dinner. There were two roasted chickens, baked potatoes with butter and sour cream, roasted vegetables that included zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower and yellow squash, all seasoned with fresh herbs. Maddie had bought a tray of chocolate eclairs, having been told by a little bird that they were Jarren’s favorite.

Jarren was tired after dinner and decided to go to bed early. He took a shower and washed his hair twice and used conditioner, which prior to the accident was rare. It felt ridiculously fantastic. The rest of the gang stayed up talking until nearly ten o’clock, which was the normal time Madie and Jeff retired as they were up early to care for the horses.

Jarren had been discharged just over a week after being admitted and he was happy to be out of there. His first thought upon waking was Nash. Realistically he knew he couldn’t spend the whole day at the hospital. He wasn’t allowed to drive yet so he would be dependant on Maddie and Jeff to take him and he didn’t want to disrupt their routine too much. Mazen and Mom had to leave after breakfast. Their flight was at one o’clock and they needed to return the car to the rental facility.

Mom of course cried when she kissed and hugged Jarren goodbye. Mazen clutched him tightly and whispered “You so fucking owe me for dealing with that woman for a week when one of her brood was hurt. You have no idea what I’ve just been through. Don’t be surprised if I sic Cassie on you next time you come home.” Mazen winked at him as he pulled away. Jarren knew he would follow through with the Cassie threat and made a mental note to start buttering her up now.

Once back in the house Maddie left him alone while she took care of things she needed to get to in her office. He had just gotten comfortable on the couch when his phone rang. The caller ID showed Lex’s number.

“Hey Lex!” Jarren greeted his friend.

“You asshole! So help me if you ever scare us like that again I will come down there and kill you myself!” was the first thing he heard.

Jarren laughed and told him “You’ll have to get in line. Mom has first dibs and Mazen claimed sloppy seconds and he assured me that Cassie would take care of whatever was left.”

“Seriously, man. You gave us a huge scare. I’ve never seen Mazen so shook up. Cassie couldn’t even calm him down when we got the news. They were staying here after poker night when Mazen got the call. Ian sends his love by the way. We’re so glad that you’re both alright. Cassie told me that Mazen and your mom are coming back today. Thank you by the way for getting better. She’s been a snarky bitch the past few days. More than usual, that is. How’s that man of yours doing?’ Lex asked.

“All things considered he’s doing pretty well. Still has quite a way to go, but I think it will all work out eventually. What’s new with you?” Jarren inquired, wanting to talk about something besides his or Nash’s injuries. He was tired of that topic of conversation. Lex knew him well enough and understood without being directly told.

Lex proceeded to tell him about what was going on with the foundation they started. Ian and Lex had started up the Inkwell Foundation as a way to help people who had been scarred or disfigured. Ian donated his mind boggling tattooing talent and covered up scars that had been left behind from burns or other injuries into fantastical images that completely transformed them. Lex was living proof of that.

Lex went on to say that so far Ian had completed three amazing designs on three different people and the change in their self esteem was immediately apparent. He also informed Jarren that they had been approved as foster parents. Jarren could hear the excitement in Lex’s voice as he told him more about the boy, Keon, that his stepdad had introduced them to on one of their hospital visits for foundation business. Jarren remembered that Lex had said Keon had suffered severe burns when the meth that his parents were cooking blew up. Lex just gushed over how awesome his foster son was. He sounded so excited. He told Jarren that they had been approved to take in up to two foster children, but could possibly be approved for more if they decided to renovate the cellar of their house with additional bedrooms. Right now they only had three bedrooms, and one of them was being used as an office. Lex confided that he was more than a little nervous at the thought of being responsible for another human being.

Jarren was happy for his friends, yet at the same time a little jealous. He thought about Liam and wished he and Nash could take him in like Ian and Lex were doing with Keon. It was just wishful thinking. He couldn’t take care of himself right now, let alone Nash or Liam. Jarren didn’t dwell on it and he was truly happy for his friends. Lex had been through some pretty rough times when he was young and he deserved the life he now had. He and Ian were perfect for each other and they were the measuring stick by which Jarren gauged his relationship. Yes, they argued and disagreed like everyone else, but they avoided the worst relationship pitfalls by keeping the lines of communication wide open. That is exactly what he intended to do with Nash.

Jarren listen to Lex for another half hour, interjecting and commenting on various topics. Lex managed, without even trying, to make him feel better. When the conversation was wrapping up, Lex reminded him that he and Nash had his and Ian’s support and if they needed anything, anything at all, then Jarren just needed to call or text.

After hanging up, Jarren went searching for some lunch. Maddie had left a note in the kitchen that indicating there was sandwich meat in the refrigerator and vegetable soup in the crock pot on the counter. She would be back around one and would take him over to the hospital then. This would become his new normal. He fixed himself a sandwich and helped himself to a bowl of soup as well. The simple meal far outshone anything that the hospital had to offer and he relished every bite.

Jarren, Maddie and Jeff hashed out a schedule that allowed Jarren to spend most afternoons and evenings at the hospital with Nash. Andre stopped by during the week with some paperwork they needed to fill out for the workman’s comp claim. Early on they had been told that between worker’s compensation and the driver of the other truck’s insurance company all of their medical expenses would be covered. The other insurance company was also prepared to offer a settlement to both of them for the injuries they suffered. Jarren and Nash took the advice of Jarren’s dad and called Lex’s dad Ryan. He was a family law attorney and if even if he couldn’t advise them, he could refer them to someone who could.

Ryan had referred them to an attorney in Atlanta that he knew through a mutual friend of theirs, who was able to come to the hospital to talk to them. His name was Grant Markham and he was thorough in explaining to them the pros and cons of accepting a settlement or taking the insurance company to court. He seemed quite knowledgeable and the two men felt comfortable with his capabilities. He wasn’t blowing smoke up their asses like a lot of attorneys who were just in it for the potential payoff. In the end Jarren and Nash decided to hold off for a while to see how Nash’s recovery progressed. They weren't required to decide right away.

Before they knew it, Nash’s impending discharge was coming up. He exceeded all expectations that his therapist and doctor had for him. He was able to get around easily with crutches for short distances and had mastered navigating a wheelchair. He had been fitted with a temporary prosthesis so that he could start getting used to having one on and to desensitize his stump. It wasn’t made for walking on, that would come in a few more weeks when they were sure the swelling was gone, but he could put a little weight on it to help steady himself. Nash had been told that he may need to be refitted several times before finding the right fit. There was no ‘one size fits all’ approach. Every person and every amputation was as unique as each snowflake in a blizzard.

As discharge day approached they were no closer to a solution for their living arrangements than before. Nash’s little bungalow was too small to comfortably accommodate someone who needed a wheelchair. Jarren had an idea that he wasn’t able to shake. What made him hesitate was Liam. The boy had convinced John to bring him to the hospital every other day to visit. His liveliness brought joy to both Nash and Jarren. Jarren had fallen hard for the kid and just knew that they couldn’t disappear from the boy’s life, and what he had in mind would probably end up doing just that.

Jarren kept going back to his last conversation with Lex when all of a sudden the proverbial lightbulb went off in his head. He needed to talk with John, and without Liam close by, He didn’t want to get any hopes up. Nash, however, was the most important person he needed to sound out his idea to. If Nash wasn’t on board then the point would be moot.

Two days before Nash’s tentative discharge, Jarren outlined what he was thinking. Nash, ever the analytical one, gave serious consideration to what Jarren was proposing. It would take some time, and maybe calling in a few, or more than a few favors. They would most definitely need a lot of help and support from their friends and family. Jarren bit his lower lip as Nash thought about the idea. Finally Nash looked at Jarren and asked “Are you positive you want to make this kind of commitment?”

Jarren nodded and replied “I want this more than anything and you are the one I want to do this with.”

Nash smiled and said “Make your phone calls. If everyone is willing and what you are suggesting is possible then I say we go for it. I will only have one stipulation.”

“Anything, what is it?” Jarren inquired.

“Phone calls first, what I want requires some planning.” Nash answered cryptically.

Should be interesting to see what Jarren is cooking up!
On a happy note, my hubby and son went to see It, chapter 2 yesterday and I had almost four whole hours by myself... two more chapters done! I should be able to finally wrap things up in another few chapters as long as my brain cooperates!
Don't forget to leave your comments!
Copyright © 2019 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 23
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So far, things seem to be going as good as they can.  I wonder what the boys have in mind, though.  I'll look forward to finding out what it is.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, avidreadr said:

So far, things seem to be going as good as they can.  I wonder what the boys have in mind, though.  I'll look forward to finding out what it is.  

They definitely have something up their sleeves!  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

HI RYAN!!!!  👋 👋

I’m glad both recoveries are progressing well and I LOVE Jarren and Lex’s friendship.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Nana Atuwa said:

Is he ever going to  tell Lex about who Nash is to him? 

 

Just keep reading! 😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Lex and Jarren hold a secret about the other, and I can not wait for them to be revealed! Now what could Jarren and Nash be plotting? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, astone2292 said:

Lex and Jarren hold a secret about the other, and I can not wait for them to be revealed! Now what could Jarren and Nash be plotting? 

🤷‍♀️

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..