Jump to content
    kbois
  • Author
  • 4,505 Words
  • 4,233 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Decision for Jarren - 5. Chapter 5

Yes, I'm throwing up a roadblock. Things are gonna get a little tough for Jarren. Hopefully he can deal with it.

Jarren was lost in the overwhelming sensation of Nash’s lips devouring him. He could feel Nash’s strong hands stroking his back. His own hands couldn’t get enough of the soft pelt of hair covering the hard muscles of Nash’s stomach. His cock was about to tear through his jeans and he couldn’t stop rubbing himself up against what felt like an equally hard and large cock encased in Nash’s jeans. He started to unbuckle the other man’s jeans when the insistent chirping of his phone broke into his awareness.

“Let it go to voicemail” he heard Nash say. Damn if that didn’t sound like a good idea. It was probably just Mazen anyway, calling to discuss that farce of a game. Lamest Super Bowl ever. Jarren turned his attention back to the sexy man he just wanted to ravage. His damn phone wouldn’t let up.

Fuck it. He was going to kill Mazen next time he saw him. He dragged his lips off of Nash. “I’d better get this. It’s probably Mazen wanting to talk about the game. He won’t stop until I pick up.” Jarren said.

Jarren slid the green dot over to connect, and without saying hello, growled “The game sucked. They won. It was boring. I gotta go Maz...”

Mazen interrupted “Shut up Jare. I’m at the hospital with Mom. Dad broke his leg.”

Jarren had stopped talking and tried to process what his brother was saying, “Wait, what? When did it happen?’ he asked. “Oh fuck,” he said as Mazen told him that his Dad had slipped on some ice when he went onto the back deck to grab a beer from the snowpile.

Mazen informed him “We’re with him in the ER. They already did x-rays and the doctor told us he’s going to need surgery to put some screws and plates in. It’s a pretty wicked break. We’re waiting for them to take him up to the surgical wing. They’ve scheduled his surgery for the morning. Right now he’s on some serious painkillers and is doing fine. The nurse told us they would probably keep him sedated. Once he’s settled in a room I’m taking Mom home. No sense in her staying all night when he’s going to be knocked out cold. We’ll come back before they wheel him into the OR and Bailey is coming to sit with Mom with me. Kelsey and Troy will be here at some point, and I’m pretty sure Robbie won’t want to go to school. He’ll be too worried.”

“Do you need me to come home?” Jarren asked.

He heard Mazen sigh before his brother answered “Jarren, normally I would say no, but Dad was supposed to do the bid presentation for the Larkin project. Fuck Jare, you know more about it than me and you know I suck at those kind of things. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Is there any way you can do it? I’ll pay for your flight.”

Jarren took a deep breath and tried to think of his options. Finally he said “You know damn well I’m not getting on a plane.” Jarren hated flying. “Can you call them tomorrow and see if they would be able to push it back to Wednesday? Tuesday afternoon would work too. I’ll grab a few hours of hours of sleep and drive up there. I can probably make it in about 16 hours. If they can only do Tuesday afternoon that will at least give me time to review everything. If not I’ll just have to go with Tuesday morning and wing it.” he said, thinking out loud rather than speaking to Mazen.

Jarren saw Nash pulling on his sneakers and held up his finger indicating that he wanted him to wait. He listened as Mazen told him he would see what he could do and he would let him know the outcome tomorrow.

“Tell Mom I love her and I’ll call you when I’m getting close. I’m going to shoot for being on the road by three. That should put me there before visiting hours are over. Thanks for taking care of them Mazen. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Jarren sighed again as he ended the call.

Nash looked at him and said “You sound like you have a family emergency. I’ll just get out of your hair. Don’t worry, I’m OK to drive. I’ll let Andre know what’s going on when I see him in the morning, but you should probably call him at some point and touch base tomorrow.”

Jarren looked at the man standing by the door and said “I’m so sorry Nash.”

Nash smiled grimly and replied “No, I’m the one who is sorry. I think it’s for the best Jarren. I’m broken and you don’t need to deal with this kind of shit. I don’t want you to have to deal with it either. Let’s just say that this didn’t happen and leave it at that. Let’s face it, I’m no good for you. You deserve so much better. Good luck with your trip home. Drive carefully and be safe.”

Jarren stood in stunned silence as he watched Nash leave. Well fuck, that didn’t end well. He saw that it was almost midnight. Great, he hoped he could get at least a couple of hours of sleep before he hit the road. Jarren quickly cleaned up the mess, threw the leftovers in the fridge and threw out the trash. He would just have to deal with everything else when he got back. That is if he came back. As much as he enjoyed being here, Nash had become a big part of that and now it looked like the other man wanted nothing to do with him. Goddamn. He didn’t want to deal with any of this right now. Jarren stripped off his clothes and slid into bed. He somehow willed himself to sleep.

Two and a half hours later his alarm jolted him awake. ‘Fucking Hell” he thought as he zombie walked into the bathroom. He didn’t bother to let the water warm up and stepped under the cold spray. That woke him all the way up. He was in and out in about five minutes. Jarren threw some clothes and toiletries into a gym bag and he pulled out of the parking lot at exactly 3:01AM. Massachusetts or bust.

The first few hours dragged by. Jarren had stopped for coffee at a 24 hour gas station and topped of his tank before getting on the highway and headed north. He cranked up his music and kept his window rolled down for the first hour, letting the cold air keep him alert . Once the sky began to lighten up he was wide awake. The miles rolled by as he kept his truck to a respectable 10 mph over the speed limit. He only stopped when his bladder made him and to get gas. He usually hated eating fast food, but there wasn’t much choice. During one of his stops he managed to speak with Andre as well. Andre assured him that he could take as much time as he needed. Jarren had decided to go the longer route mileage wise and avoid the major metropolitan areas of DC and New York. The time he would’ve spent in gridlocked traffic cancelled out the extra mileage. He knew he’d probably make better time even with the additional 60 miles or so. It was a helluva lot cheaper too. The toll on the GW bridge alone was up somewhere around $15.00. Absolutely ridiculous.

Jarren pulled over around 6:00PM for gas and to pee. The air had gotten increasingly colder the further north he went and Jarren shivered as he pumped the gas wearing just a sweatshirt as it was well below freezing. He called Mazen and let him know he was about an hour out. Mazen said they were still at the hospital. Dad was at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield and visiting hours were over at eight. Mazen texted him his dad’s room number. Jarren pulled back onto the highway and figured if he could keep the same pace he had held for the entire exhausting trip he would be there a little before seven.

He had gotten another coffee before hitting the road for the last leg. Fifty minutes later, he pulled into the hospital's lot, having upped his speed, and miraculously, the traffic going through Hartford wasn’t too bad. Jarren saw his brother’s truck and found a spot not too far from it. He made sure to grab his winter jacket and put it on before getting out. He checked his phone for the room number that Mazen had sent and walked inside, stopping at security to get a visitor’s pass.

Dad was propped up in bed, eyes closed, looking like he had been through the wringer. Mom sat next to him. She brightened considerably when she looked up and saw him. Jarren went over and hugged his mom as she stood up to greet him.

“Jarren, I’m sorry you had to drive all the way up here, but I’m happy to see you. I’ve missed you!” she said as she pulled him down to plant a kiss on his cheek.

“I’ve missed you too Mom. How’s Dad doing?” he asked.

“I’m doing just fucking ducky. I’m right here you know.” his dad said as he opened his eyes.

Jarren leaned down and kissed his dad’s cheek, “I thought you were sleeping, you cranky old fart. Don’t you know you’re supposed to let your kids fetch your beer for you in the winter? What the hell did you go and break your leg for?” he teased.

Jarren’s dad turned to his mom and told her “Call the lawyer and let him know this one is out of the will.”

His mom rolled her eyes at their antics and told them both to shove it. Mazen walked in as he and his dad were laughing at Mom’s reaction. Jarren hugged his twin tightly. One glance and Mazen could see how stressed Jarren was. The rest of the last hour of visitation passed quickly, Dad kept drifting off due to his pain meds. They heard the soft chimes that indicated that the visiting hours were over. Jarren and Mazen kissed their dad goodnight and stepped out into the hall while their mom said goodnight as well.

Mazen told Jarren that they would stay at the McColm’s house tonight. Rick and Kathy McColm were his friend Ian’s parents. They had only met them a few times, but as soon as Ian had told Kathy what had happened, Kathy had insisted they use their house for sleeping and showering, that’s just the kind of person she was. They were only fifteen minutes from the hospital versus almost an hour each way to home. Jarren was particularly thankful. He didn’t think he could handle another hour of driving. As it was his mom insisted on driving his truck to the McColm’s while Mazen drove his own truck. She could see the exhaustion etched on her son’s face and didn’t want him to get into an accident. Jarren was tired enough to acquiesce quickly and not put up a fight.

Jarren didn’t even remember the ride from the hospital to the McColm’s house in Agawam. He was somewhat aware of Ian’s mom pulling him into a tight hug. He had a vague recollection of greeting Rick as well. Kathy led him into the kitchen and a plate of chicken and dumplings was put in front of him. He could remember it tasting awesome, but he couldn’t remember finishing it. The next thing that he was aware of was Mazen yanking off his jeans and pulling the covers over him.

Jarren slept almost twelve hours. He woke up and was disoriented, not remembering where he was for the first minute or two of consciousness. It all came back to him as his eyes started focusing on his surroundings. He yawned and stretched, feeling multiple bones and joints pop. He twisted to the left and he felt a big crack along his lower vertebrae. Damn that felt good! All those hours of driving takes a toll on muscles and joints. His right knee was still stiff from having it locked into one position on the gas pedal for so long. There were only a few stretches where he’d been able to utilize his cruise control and they didn’t last very long.

He threw back the covers and reached for his jeans and t-shirt that Mazen had left folded on the dresser. He stayed barefoot, not wanting to put on socks that he had worn for eighteen hours encased in boots in a truck with the heater focused on his feet. He thought he had clean socks in his gym bag which he had hastily packed and had no idea where it was at the moment.

Jarren headed downstairs and followed the scent of coffee. Kathy was in the kitchen reading the paper and smiled at him as he came in. “Good morning Jarren, help yourself to coffee. Mugs are right above it. There’s bagels and cream cheese or cereal, whichever you prefer. Rick said to tell you hi, he had to go in early today. Mazen brought your Mom back to the hospital. She wanted to be there when the doctor made his rounds. He said he would be back before ten to get you.” Kathy told him.

Jarren saw that it was nearly nine. He pulled out a large mug and filled it with coffee. He took a cinnamon bagel and slid it into the toaster oven that was near the coffee maker. There was a carton of half and half on the counter and he splashed a little into his coffee and sipped it while his bagel toasted. “Good morning to you too, thanks for doing all of this for my family. It really makes things easier for Mom.” he told her.

“It’s no problem Jarren, it’s the right thing to do. So how have you been since I last saw you? I hear you’re in Atlanta?” Kathy replied.

“Um, yeah, I needed a little change of pace. Work is nearly nonexistent this time of year and I like to keep busy.” he informed her.

Jarren turned his attention to his bagel and slathered it with honey nut cream cheese. He brought it over to the table and made polite conversation with Kathy while he ate. She seemed to understand that he didn’t want to talk about himself. When he was almost finished he heard Mazen come in from outside. Jarren looked up and asked “How’s Dad this morning?”

Mazen smiled and said “He looks a lot better. The surgeon came in to check on him and told us everything looks great. He’ll probably be there until Friday at the earliest or the beginning of next week. If he does OK with therapy in the hospital they’ll let him go home, otherwise he might have to go to a rehab center for a week or so. You know Dad, he’ll be going home come Hell or high water. He’s not as doped up today and wants you there as soon as possible so he can update you on what needs to be done for your presentation. I’m not sure if you remember but I told you last night that they were able to move your appointment to 4 o’clock this afternoon. Lex is going to stop by our house and grab your suit for you and bring it down. He and Ian will probably stay and we can meet up for dinner. So whenever you’re ready we can go.”

Jarren stood up and brought his dishes over to the sink. Kathy told him to leave it and she’d take care of it. She also told him there were clean towels in the bathroom closet across from his room so he could shower.

Jarren turned to Mazen and said “Give me fifteen minutes and I’ll be ready.”

Mazen nodded and poured some coffee into a mug he had just taken down from the cupboard.

Jarren went back up to the guest room and spied his gym bag on the floor. His brother must have put it there last night. He rummaged through it and pulled out clean clothes, deodorant and his toothbrush. He carried everything into the bathroom. He brushed his teeth while waiting for the water to heat up, then showered and got dressed quickly, then debated whether or not he should dry his hair with the blow dryer. He checked his weather app and decided that he would take the extra couple of minutes when he saw that the current temperature was 3 degrees. That was more than cold enough to freeze wet hair as soon as he stepped outside. He really hadn’t missed these ridiculously cold temperatures.

He threw his towel over the shower curtain so it could dry and went back downstairs to meet his brother. He felt human again and that was good.

They both thanked Kathy again before stepping outside. Jarren winced as he reflexively sniffed in the cold air and felt ice crystals form inside of his nose. Damn he hated it when his boogers froze. Grossest feeling ever. He quickly slid into the passenger side of Mazen’s truck and they were on their way. Luckily the truck didn’t take too long to warm up, but the ride wasn’t long anyway. They got to the hospital at ten-thirty and found their Dad sitting up on the side of the bed with a nurse on one side and another man wearing black scrubs on the other. Turns out he was a physical therapist and they were getting Dad up for the first time since the surgery.

The boys stood back and watched as the therapist had their Dad stand up and stay standing for a minute before sitting down again. He had to do this several times and finally the therapist told him he could get back into bed. Jarren and Mazen watched as they settled Dad back into bed and made sure his leg was elevated. He had a soft cast on the lower half of his right leg to compensate for any swelling. He would be switched over to a hard cast before going home. The doctor had told them that the cast would need to stay on for at least four to six weeks. Then they would x-ray him and if it looked to be healing properly he would be switched to a boot for several more weeks. The healing process is different for everyone but the doctor seemed optimistic that Dad would be walking without crutches in 8-10 weeks.

The therapist saw them and motioned them over. Mom was fluffing Dad’s pillows and they all listened as the therapist explained that he would be in a couple of more times later today. He was hoping to have Dad walk to the bathroom with assistance by tomorrow. He would bring a pair of crutches with him when he came back after lunch and see if Dad could manage a few steps. He didn’t think there would be any problem with releasing him to home as long as he was able to maneuver a short distance to the bathroom with crutches and someone there to assist.

Once the therapist left Jarren’s dad called him over and said “We need to get you up to speed for this afternoon. There’s not too much that has changed since we did the initial research. I did find out that Hepner Construction has thrown their hat in the ring. I think we might be able to use it to our advantage though. Grab the laptop and have a seat.”

Jarren did as he was told and for the next few hours he and his dad and Mazen went over the information that Jarren was going to present. Larkin Corporation had bought up property close to where the new MGM casino had opened. They wanted to develop a three block long strip of property that was a few blocks north of the casino and the riverfront with stores and restaurants. It was a prime location not far from the Basketball Hall of Fame. Currently it was occupied by derelict, closed up warehouses. If their company, Dalton Development, could score the bid it would ensure steady work for the next two to three years. Dad would probably be able to retire at the end of the project. He had been thinking about for a while now. He and his wife would love to do a little travelling and be a bigger part of their grandkids lives.

They were interrupted twice, once for lunch and once for another session with the physical therapist. By two o’clock Jarren could see that his Dad was done.

“Dad, why don’t we stop. There’s nothing else to add. The presentation and the video are perfect. I’m all caught up and you need to rest. Take a nap and we’ll come straight here when we’re done, OK?”

Mazen was going with him for support, although Jarren would be the one doing most of the talking. His brother wasn’t comfortable speaking in front of strangers and Jarren had never minded it.

They said goodbye to their parents and went back to the McColm’s. Lex was already there when they arrived and his husband Ian was there as well. Jarren greeted his friends with a hug and he saw Lex look at him with concern.

“Your suit is hanging in the guest room. I brought a couple of shirts and a few ties so you could choose yourself. Are you OK Jarren?” Lex asked him.

Lex had always been super intuitive. Jarren felt like he could see right through him sometimes. But Lex had become an amazing friend. Ian too. They often hung out on the weekends. He felt bad that he was too embarrassed to talk to Lex about his insecurities. He somehow knew that Lex would understand. Maybe after this whole presentation they could find some time.

“Yeah, I’m alright. Just still a little wiped out from the long drive.” Jarren told his friend.

He went up to the guest room and saw his dark gray suit hanging up. Lex had brought three dress shirts, white, light blue and dove gray. Jarren chose the dove gray and then decided on a dark, burgundy-red tie. He changed his clothes and was tying his dress shoes when there was a knock on the door. He looked up as the door opened and saw Cassie, Mazen’s girlfriend and Lex’s best friend smiling at the doorway. He stood up and was immediately locked in a boa constrictor hold by the petite blonde.

“Hey Cass,” he said as he planted a kiss on the top of her head.

“So, are you done running away yet?” Cassie replied. She was never one to beat around the bush.

Jarren sighed. “Not now Cassie, I’ve got a presentation in an hour. I can’t do this with you. You need to back off.” he told her. “Please,” he added when he saw the hurt look on her face.

Cassie let him go and and pulled him down to kiss his cheek. “I’ll let it go for now Jarren, but you need to talk to Lex, and sooner, not later. We’re all worried about you.” she sighed.

Jarren just nodded.

They made their way back down to the kitchen where everyone was gathered. Mazen was dressed in a suit as well. His was navy blue and he had a white dress shirt with a dark blue tie with narrow white stripes. They looked hot.

Mazen nodded at him and asked “Are you ready to go?” It was three o’clock and the presentation was in the conference center of the MGM casino. They would have plenty of time to set up their audio/visual before the start time at four. Everyone wished them luck as they walked out the door.

Once they got to the conference center they checked in and were led to a small conference room where they hooked up the laptop and got everything ready to go. They were ready and waiting when the door opened at exactly four o’clock and the four representatives from Larkin Corporation came in. Jarren took control confidently and greeted the three men and one woman. He thanked them for being able to accommodate them with the change in appointment time. He introduced Mazen and politely told them his father was doing well when they inquired how he was doing.

Jarren waited until everyone was settled and then began. He gave a rundown of their company’s history and some of the other large projects they had completed. He ran the video presentation Mazen and his Dad had put together and he explained the financial advantages as well. He was able to add a subtle jab at one of their competitors who had recently been accused of using substandard materials on a housing project and was now under investigation. He assured them that Dalton Development used quality materials and employed licensed and experienced workers.

His presentation lasted just under an hour and he felt that it went pretty well. He was able to answer all of their questions and he felt confident that they had a good chance. They did seem a bit concerned that their Dad might not be able to oversee the project, but Jarren thought he had done a good job of conveying the doctor’s optimism that Dad should be back up to speed in a couple of months. Groundbreaking wasn’t scheduled until August and Jarren was well aware that these things often got pushed back for one reason or another. His Dad should be back on both feet long before then.

Mazen congratulated him on a job well done when they were in the truck for the short ride to the hospital. Their dad was wide awake and had just finished his dinner when they arrived. They changed into the jeans and sweatshirts they had brought along. Mazen practically sang Jarren’s praises. They discussed the presentation and Jarren’s dad relaxed. He knew he couldn’t have done a better job and told both his boys he was proud of them. They stayed until seven and then left. They were meeting Cassie, Lex and Ian for pizza.

Lex kept looking over at Jarren during the meal, and as they were leaving the restaurant he pulled Jarren aside and said “We need to talk this weekend. Why don’t you come over Saturday?”

Jarren nodded and knew his time of reckoning was upon him and he was pretty sure Lex could help him navigate the crossroad he felt like he was standing in the middle of. He knew he had a major decision to make. He just hoped to hell he made the right one.

Let's hope Lex can help Jarren figure himself out.
Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Copyright © 2019 kbois; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 62
  • Love 18
  • Fingers Crossed 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm not certain what Lex can do for Nash (long distance therapy?), but I have confidence he will be able to help Jarren. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, FanLit said:

Jarren isn’t the only one who needs to figure himself out, Nash can’t think he’s doomed to an emotionally solitary life forever.  Those two definitely need to have a talk when Jarren gets back.  Btw, did Jarren let Danny know he was leaving?

When you’re blunt like Cassie, you have to expect that everyone won’t always appreciate that approach;  The time to check Jarren on his personal issues is not before a big work presentation, she shouldn’t have been hurt, she should have been more considerate.

AND....approaching someone who is having identity issues with “So, are you done running away yet?” is not the best way to want to make them stay or open up.  I love Cassie and I know she does what she does from love but she needs to soften those edges.

Nash's issues go beyond thinking he's doomed for a solitary life.  I think it'll be more clear in a few more chapters.  Not all heartache is relationship related.  

He and Jarren definitely have to have a   tete-a-tete eventually. (sorry, I have no clue how to make my phone's keyboard do the funky house over the e). It's coming.  

Danny is in Florida. I assume he'll get a text. 

Cassie..... she's never been the most tactful person.  Probably never will be either.  Keep in mind she's protective of those close to her.  Mazen is close. Jarren has pushed everyone away,  including his twin so his twin is hurting. I think Cassie is pretty much giving Jarren the verbal equivalent of a swift kick in the ass. I'll concede that she could've picked a better time. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

I'm not certain what Lex can do for Nash (long distance therapy?), but I have confidence he will be able to help Jarren. I'm looking forward to the next chapter. Thanks. 

I'm confident that Lex will be able to help Jarren. 

As for Nash.... not much Lex can do,  but I'm hoping that he finds a way to open up and he talks to Jarren.

Like I said to FanLit, the next several chapters should shed some light on what Nash has in his past.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, tj4two said:

I am really enjoying this and flying through the chapters, captivating writing......

I'm so happy.... that's one of the best compliments a writer can get,  thank you! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Bft said:

Great chapter, frozen boogers 😂😂😂💋

I don't miss living in that climate!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I smell Lex's conversation from a mile away! 

Me thinks Lex sees a thread... Jarren better hightail it back to Nash's smoldering arms.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, astone2292 said:

I smell Lex's conversation from a mile away! 

Me thinks Lex sees a thread... Jarren better hightail it back to Nash's smoldering arms.

Could be, maybe, possibly??

@Mrsgnomie has a Caleb crush.

You have a Nash crush.

I do make 'em hot😉

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..