Jump to content
    Keith2013
  • Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 807 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Letting Go - 18. Chapter 18

Keith woke up with a sudden sensation of falling, he kept his eyes closed with grievous determination, and remembered the gentle push Elliot had put on his heart. He felt an excruciating pain sent from his chest to his whole body, and clenched onto the bed sheet with a disguised feeling of desperation which now turned into despair. The falling sensation continued but Keith gave up on any temptation of opening his eyes because even though the falling made him feel nauseous, the reality would feed on this nausea and tear him into pieces.
 
Eyebrows were pulled together and Keith opened his mouth gasping for air, or to shout to this brutal world, but neither the air flew in, nor the sound came out. Finally a choked cry escaped Keith’s throat like that of a wounded beast, and tears ran down his face, leaving not only marks on his face, but also scars in his heart.
 
The show in the club. Elliot in his tuxedo. The violin play. The walk in the city Warsaw. Every single recollection tortured him, every piece of reality tore him apart.
 
Finally enough courage were collected, or maybe the effort of escaping the pain was just meaningless, Keith opened his eyes and every molecules of light pierced through his vision. He lied in his bed, alone, he was still in the cloth he had worn last night in the club, he pushed his elbow against the bed and tried to sit up, his head spun faster and he was about to faint as he gained the vertical position, he rubbed his eyes and saw the room was a mess, he must have managed to knock down everything on the way from the door to the bed. Keith rested his forehead in his palm to take a moment to register the reality, threw away the cover on his body and stepped on the floor to go to the bathroom, only to find himself standing in his own vomit.
 
Keith’s lips trembled but swallowed the curse he was about to shout, instead he just took off his T-shirt and cleaned his feet, then walked in the bathroom.
 
He looked at himself in the mirror and just wanted to cry, he remembered telling himself moments ago in the dream when he had pushed Elliot around the city of Warsaw “This is happening, this is your new reality now, it is not a dream, accept the bless, and make everything better from now on, you are granted with a second chance, take it, guard it, don’t let it go.” But now the irony, the bloody irony, the bloody reality, the fucking play of his drunken brain to let him convince himself that a dream was not a dream in the dream. Keith punched in the wall hard, he cursed at the betrayal of his own mind, and cursed at his life, he looked up in tears at the stranger in the mirror who seemed to be mocking him ruthlessly, and he punched hard in the wall again.
 
Under the pile of winter jacket and scarf next to the hotel bed, Keith’s phone started to ring, the caller name showed it was from Hayden. But the sound of the water from the bathroom muffled the ring. Some people say, you know you are in love when you can't fall asleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams, but would that still be true for Keith?
 
==================
 
I realized that this chapter needs some explanation to do, as the contrast is quite big and unexpected. I have a good reason for it.
 
The fact is, Elliot has never woken up, the second-to-last chapter was a mixture of reality and a dream Elliot had, like the movie "Atonement". Elliot partied with his friends, got drunk, returned to his hotel, and dreamed about the scene when Elliot showed up.
 
This story was supposed to be our two years anniversary present for my Elliot, it was originally planned to be a totally different story, I'm sure many of you have noticed the change of the tone in the middle when the story developed, I was forced to change the whole story from the middle, I thought I had time, but little had I known that time would be the first thing I don't have.
 
Chapter 18 was a true experience of mine, I had a dream that everything went back in time and I closed my eyes in the dream telling myself "okay this is real, this is not dream", and after I woke up I couldn't stop crying, and the painful irony of telling myself that it was not a dream while I was in the dream.
 
Hayden calls from London, to inform THE news about Elliot, but I have no news about my Elliot, so there is the suspense for all of us, including me, when I finished this story hoping to still give it to him as a present, I only managed to come so far, This is my reality now. Originally I left the story end at the second-to-last chapter, but recently I just feel so uncertain about everything, and that fictional ending really depressed me about my situation. So two days ago I decided to break that dream and bring a piece of reality to myself.
 
I guess people weren't expecting that at all, so the last chapter was like "WTF", but i think once you figure out what had really happened, then you would read chapter 17 again and think of it as actually the saddest chapter, which could be the happiest chapter if chapter 18 didn't exist.
 
This will be the last chapter so far. I would like to continue writing a sequel, but not now, I'm waiting for my Elliot to give me a sign of how to continue.
 
Thank you for reading and thank you for the support so far.
©Copyright (2013) (Keyong Ma); All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WTF just happened? Where's Elliot? Why was Keith drunk? Is there an epilogue so we know what happened?

Link to comment

This is a very confusing chapter. I know we'll get more of an explanation in the next one, but this is not what I would have expected.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..