Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 3,582 Words
  • 785 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Before And After the Divorce - 26. Explanation, Compromise, and Love

I went into my room, put in my earbuds, and cranked up some Linkin' Park. Half an hour later, the drum beat sounded a little off. It took me a few moments to realize it was my door. I got up and went to it.

I may have been a little too terse, "Yeah?"

"It's Dave. Can I come in?"

I unlocked and opened the door. Until now, I’ve never seen my brother look anything but confident.

Dave shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Hey, I'm sorry, man. I mean, I know you've been out with a couple of guys, but never seriously thought you were gay."

I looked at him, gauging his sincerity. "Yeah, I could have been more open with you. But we've never really talked about anything like that."

"Patty wants to apologize. I could say more, but she’d rather talk to you directly if that’s okay."

Her hurtful words replayed in my head, but I knew I should give her a chance. "Okay. I think I overreacted, too. "

As I stepped into the living room, I saw Patty’s red, puffy eyes and noted the tissues she clutched like a lifeline.

When she looked at me, a tear slid down her cheek. "Oh, Dylan, I'm so sorry. When you said boyfriend, it didn't register right away. I was recently diagnosed with bradyphrenia. I'm still getting used to the slow processing of information that comes along with it."

"And I'm sorry too, I overreacted. But bradyphrenia?"

"In simple terms, it's a slow brain. I don't always process what I see or hear right away. When you left the room, I was initially confused about why. But then what you said finally clicked."

Not quite pacified, I said, "But the things you said, they had nothing to do with you knowing about my being gay or not. They were how you felt, right?"

"Well, yes. But I wouldn't have said them if I knew you were gay."

I looked toward the ceiling and blew out a breath. "Geez. I don't know if that's better or worse. Either way, they were so far from correct. As Dave said, pedophiles aren't typically gay. They’re the exception, not the rule. Most aren't going to exhibit overt displays of affection in a public place. Especially around children, going back to point one. Then, there’s your worst misconception—someone can be influenced to be gay. You can’t change your bradyphrenia. Neither can a gay or straight person change who they’re attracted to."

Patty pressed her lips together before replying, "I have to consider that for a while. Just because of the disorder."

"That's fair. But while you're doing that, ask yourself; would you have agreed to stay here knowing I was gay?"

Dave squeezed his eyes shut. "Oof."

I shrugged, "Sorry, Dave. I won't kick you guys out if she answers that, well, wrong. But I may have to limit my interactions with her."

"Yeah, I guess I can understand that” Dave acceded. But I hope we can all be flexible."

Trying to smile but failing, I agreed. "All I can say is I can try."

Patty had gathered her thoughts. "Okay. I understand how badly I messed up. I apologize again. I’m being truthful when I say I probably wouldn't have accepted your invitation had I initially known you were gay. But now that I've been—pardon the pun—straightened out, I understand better. If there's anything I can do to make it up to you, I'll do it; watch Dominic when you go out, after school, cook, whatever."

I braced myself for the next part of our conversation. "Yeah, well, that brings up another issue. Our dad."

Patty stiffened and glared at Dave.

My brother didn’t back down. "I had to tell him. I didn't think you'd want to see him right away."

She sniffed. "Well, you're right about that."

I gritted my teeth and mentally counted to ten. "Patty, don't you think fourteen years is enough time to bury the hatchet? Dad couldn't have done anything more than he did to bring Dave into his company. He has no authority in hiring decisions."

Patty nodded. "Again, I need to process that. But why would my offering to watch Dominic have anything to do with him?"

"He finishes his workday here,” I replied. “He's here when Dominic gets home from school and whenever I go out. Half the time, he eats dinner with us."

"But he wouldn't have to while I'm here."

She really was a piece of work, but I had to remind myself of her condition. "Okay, but I won’t tell him he can't come over. First of all, he's built a close relationship with Dominic. Secondly, that's taking that time away from Dom, too. He’s an important part of my son’s life and I will not cater to your misguided grudge."

More tears welled in Patty’s eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm a little overwhelmed. Please, give me a little time to digest all this?"

I smiled. "Of course. I'm not a monster."

Patty retired to the guest room to think. I had a couple of phone calls to make. Well, possibly only one. Dad doesn't know Dave and his family are here. Do I 'forget' to tell him not to come over and start World War Three? I told Colton they were staying here a while, and I may not be as available. Do I even want to be here that much with her around? Maybe I'll go out anyway. But can I be sure my not being here will not fan the flames further if Dad comes? Can I even trust her around Dominic? Ah, fuck! My train of thought was stuck in the wheelhouse spinning around.

"Dave, I think you ought to call Dad and let him know you're here. I need to talk to him about him coming over tonight. I'm not completely sure I want to leave with things being the way they are."

"She's not going to give Dominic any problems. I'll call him, maybe go over there tonight, and give Patty some time to dig that hatchet's grave."

"I was more concerned about the disorder. What if something happens, and it takes her too long to react?"

Dave gripped my shoulder. "Sal's here too. I’m sure he’ll keep Dominic busy so you don’t have to worry. Don't give up your social life just because we're here. Is it serious with this guy?"

"Colton?” I grinned. “It's starting to get there. We get along well, and the boys are great together. I could see it being long-term if things continue like they are."

He nodded, "Then you go out. I'll call Dad, let him know we're here. Instead of going over tonight, I'll see him tomorrow. That way, I'm here with Dominic, too, so your mind at ease."

"Okay. Maybe if Patty bends a little, we can have Dad over for dinner tomorrow and discuss how to cover for watching Dominic."

"Yeah, that sounds good. Talk to Colton, make plans for tonight, and GTFO."

My eyes went wide, and I chuckled. "You're kicking me out of my own apartment?"

My brother smirked. "Yup. It's for your own good. I’m not gonna take the blame for being a cockblock.”

I laughed. "Okay. If you'll stay tonight, I won't have to worry about Dominic and the ice queen."

He snorted. "Ice queen. Ha! Thanks for that visual. Now I'll think of that all the time. If we get divorced because I slip and call her that, it's all your fault."

"Sure, you can be a cockblock, but make me take the fall for calling it like it is. It's cool. It's not like a woman hasn't blamed me for everything before."

"Well, it's part of our jobs as husbands. It's what we're here for."

Bantering with my brother reminded me of when we were kids and jabbed at other all the time. I had missed this.

Patty cleared her throat to get our attention. "Dylan, I don't want to disrupt everything. I’ve decided that I want to look at houses while Dave is at work. If you'll give me the realtor's information, I'll schedule things late afternoons as much as I can. After giving it some thought, I know you're right. It's time I grew up and put aside my petty feelings. Your dad can come over. It might take me a visit or two to feel comfortable, but if you can put up with me after hearing all those terrible things I said, well, I can try to be civil with your father. I think dinner tomorrow would be a good start.

I regarded her with a newfound respect. It didn’t mean I liked her any better, but I had to give her credit for her willingness to change.

"If you and the boys want to check out the spa tomorrow, I'll be OK. I can start looking at houses on the internet. Maybe I'd be more comfortable going if I wasn't alone on the girl's side. Also, I can go shopping and put together a nice meal for all of us. What do you think?"

"She IS a really good cook." Dave gave me a wink.

"Thank you for offering. I’m glad you’re willing to compromise. I’d like to invite Colton, Jiho, and Colton's parents if you're okay with cooking for ten instead of six. I owe them dinner anyway. Mrs. Kang is lovely. I'm sure she'd be willing to accompany you to the spa next time."

"Yes, cooking for a larger group is a lot more fun. I'll have to meet and talk with Mrs. Kang first, but it sounds like a possibility. I promise not to make any stupid remarks around your boyfriend. I'm sure he's a good man. Otherwise, you wouldn't be with him. I’m looking forward to meeting him."

I snorted. "I've made some mistakes with my dates before, but yes, Colton is indeed a good man."

Dave looked thoughtful. "Maybe one night, you and I can go out for a couple of drinks, and you can fill me in on more details about your life, specifically those mistakes."

"Yeah, I'd like that, Dave. Especially if you're going to be ten or fifteen minutes away, it would be nice to get together once in a while."

I quickly opened up my phone to get the realtor's contact information. "The realtor's name is Marilyn Brovosky, at Century 21. I'm not sure which branch, but she seemed like a nice woman the time I met her."

I gave Patty all the details. Then I escaped to my room to call Colton, make plans for this evening, and give him the invite for all of them to come to dinner. I also asked if they were going to the spa again, and if I could bring Dave and Sal along. He said they were, and he would love to meet my brother and nephew. By the time I returned to the living room, the boys were talking to Dave and Patty.

I gasped and clutched my chest ,feigning shock. "Did I somehow miss the invite? What kind of nefarious meeting is this?"

Dominic giggled. "It's not a nef-nefarious meeting, Dad! We're just talking."

I plopped myself down on the couch and tickled his side, eliciting more giggles. "Okay, what's secret agenda?"

Dominic rolled his eyes before blurting, “The spa."

I smiled, "Why doesn't that surprise me?"

"I was telling Sal about it. He didn't believe me that you had to be naked in the pool."

"Is that true, Uncle Dylan?" Sal asked, a slight furrow marring his brow.

I didn’t want to scare him off, so I exchanged my smile for a more serious look, but hopefully not severe. "It is. Lots of cultures have a different opinion of nudity than we do here in the States."

"And you liked going there? Dominic said he had fun, but no offense, he's just a kid."

I chuckled at Dominic’s pouty face. "Yes, it was very relaxing. I thought I would be uncomfortable with the nudity, but after a few minutes, you don't even think about it anymore."

Dominic chimed in. “That’s true!”

Sal still looked apprehensive, but I swear I saw curiosity too. "And there's no girls that can look at you? I don't think I'd like that."

Fearful, but not running for the hills yet.

"Nope. Men and women are in separate pools and can’t see each other. Outside of the pool, everyone wears the loose-fitting pajama-type clothes the spa provides.”

"And you're okay with me going, Dad? Mom?"

Patty replied, "Well, your father will be there with you. I wouldn't want you to go with a bunch of teenage friends, but with proper supervision, sure."

Sal’s features relaxed, and he managed to smile. "Thanks. What about you, Dad?"

"I'll need some getting used to the idea, but if it's something you want to try," He couldn't hide the smile, "I'll grin and bare it."

We all groaned at the terrible pun.

"Okay, okay! I mean I'll deal with it."

"Cool. Are there a lot of people there?"

"There were only a few others when we went last week,” I said. But I suppose it could get crowded. Even if it's just us and the Kangs, that would be six."

Sal's face brightened. "I guess we're going to the spa tomorrow."

Dominic grew one of his infectious smiles. "Yea!!!"

Dave called Dad, so everything was set up for tomorrow. The senior Sal was surprised that Patty was willing to make an effort, but he said if she could, so would he. I offered Patty my MAC card to pay for the groceries tomorrow, but she insisted on paying since I wasn't asking for anything from them for staying with us.

Sunday

We left a little before one, taking my truck, which Sal admired. I texted Colton and said we were on our way. He replied that they would wait for us in the lobby if they beat us there. When we arrived, we saw them as soon as we walked in. Colton said they were there only a few minutes. Although he's so polite, he could have been waiting an hour, and he'd still say it was only a couple of minutes. Aside from there being nobody to perv on the kids this time, it was pretty much a repeat of last week. Except we all got the body shampoo. Dave said he would splurge, so Dom and I went along for the ride. Sal was a little embarrassed at first, but like I told him, after a few minutes, he was okay.

Dinner was a hit as well. I didn't even know I had a pot large enough to make a roast that size. Dave was right, though. Patty was an excellent cook. The roast was accompanied by carrots, potatoes, and some sliced celery. She also made a huge bowl of rice as a bed for the meat and vegetables. For dessert, she picked up fresh apple and lemon meringue pies. Since Joon sounded like June, Mrs. Kang didn't use an Americanized nickname. Colton's father, on the other hand, used Charles as a substitute for Chul. Joon and Patty got along very well. Joon said she would happily accompany her to the spa when she wanted to go. Patty also kept her promise about avoiding saying stupid things.

Sal had brought his PlayStation and hooked it up to the TV in the living room. I had no idea which generation it was, although I'm sure I would find out when Dominic asks for one of his own. The boys played while the adults talked in the dining room for an hour or so after dinner. The Kangs left after Joon insisted that only she and Patty did the cleanup. Once they left, apparently it was time to bombard me with questions and observations.

After preparing a roast, Patty decided it was time for some grilling. "You and Colton really care about each other, don't you?"

I wondered what she was getting at. "Yes. I like him a lot, and he feels the same way."

"I think you're selling the relationship a little short."

Raising my eyebrows, I asked. "How do you mean?"

She smiled knowingly. "I think there's more than a 'like' to it."

I wasn’t going to take the bait. At least that’s what I told myself. "I told Dave yesterday, I can see it being long-term, but we're not there yet."

"Uh-huh. I guess it's not just straight men that can't admit they're in love."

I glanced at Dave, but he merely grinned and shrugged. Some help he was. "What makes you say that?"

"It's the way you interact, look at each other, the little touches, the way you put your hand on his while we were talking. Do you want more?"

Frowning, I admitted, "No."

I don't think I realized until that moment that maybe my feelings for Colton were indeed a little stronger than I thought. Like no longer felt right.

Dad had to throw in his two cents, as well. "Even I can see it, Dylan. There's an air of comfort between the two of you that is more than two people just dating and getting to know each other."

I held up both hands. "Okay, okay. Stop. Maybe my feelings are a little stronger than a simple like. But it's not like we're ready to set a date for the wedding or anything."

Dave joined the attack. "Maybe not, but by the time we're settled into a new place, I think we might be getting a ‘save the date’ postcard."

I glared at him. "Geez, really? How about we change the subject? Did you find any possible houses to look at, Patty?"

She smiled triumphantly. "Denial. Good one.” She winked at her husband. “Okay, we'll move on. Yes, there are two or three that might be good in Grove City. One has a fifth bedroom which we don’t need, but it doesn't cost much more than the other two. Larger, so it's less per square foot."

I'm glad she changed the subject. Otherwise, I'd either need a fifth, or I’d be pleading the fifth.

"That's good. I hope you find something you like."

"Yes, maybe I'll even fall in love with one." She tried to hide a smile but failed badly.

Despite her change in attitude, I still had reservations regarding her true intentions. "Subtlety isn't your strong suit, is it? Yesterday, you were practically a homophobe, and today, you're all-in on my relationship.” I looked at my father. “How about you Dad? Has she reversed her attitude toward you as well?"

Dad folded his arms across his chest. "We've come to an understanding, yes."

The whole situation grated on me, and I snipped, "Cool. Let's get her talking to the world leaders, and maybe she can solve world peace, too. Somebody cue Louis Armstrong, because this is truly a wonderful world."

Dave tried to quell the storm. "Dylan, why are you getting upset?

"Because... well. Oh, hell if I know. It just seemed like everybody was picking on me."

Patty apologized, "I'm sorry, Dylan. I started it, I should know when to butt out."

"No. I overreacted again. I guess I didn't want to admit it. My luck with boyfriends hasn't been very good lately. I get to the point where I want to get more intimate, and things go all to hell."

Dad relaxed his arms and assured me, "They're not all going to be like Jackson and Zach, Dylan. There's definitely something different about Colton. Jackson always seemed, I don't know, superficial."

"Gee, thanks, Dad, for telling me,” I huffed. “BEFORE the shit hit the fan."

"I didn't want to meddle. It was just an impression I had. I'm sorry I didn't speak up."

"Well, water under the bridge and all that.” I waved my hand as though swatting away the past. “I need to step away and think about this. To be honest, I guess I'm afraid. You're right Dad., There is something different about Colton, but that still can't erase my fear that something will happen to ruin things."

Dave interjected. "Bro, you can't go through life without taking any risks. Just let it happen. I don't know what this Jackson did to you, but you have to move past it. Otherwise, any relationship is doomed."

"You're right.” I leaned back in my chair. “Maybe it's something I need to talk to my psychiatrist about on Tuesday."

"Smartest thing you've said all night."

I sighed. "I know you're serious, Dave, but that sounded like a 'throw another zinger at Dylan.'"

"Sorry. Yes, it was serious, and I didn’t mean it as a dig. I know this last half-hour or so hasn't been the best. Go ahead, take a shot of something, and find a quiet spot to think. After you've relaxed and processed it all, you'll see things are good."

"Thanks, but I'll hold off on the shot. I've been too susceptible to going overboard lately. One will turn into two, etc., etc."

"Just as well."

I said goodnight to Dad, knowing he'd be leaving soon. I closed the door to my room, locked it, leaned back, and slid to the floor. My little break, l didn’t need any interruptions.

Next up - "Goodbye Denial, Hello Acceptance"

Bradyphrenia is a medical term for slowed thinking and processing of information. It's sometimes referred to as mild cognitive impairment.
Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 23
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

10 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Slowed thinking and processing information is one thing   but it is still bass ackwords thinking.  Having said that I will give Patty credit for trying.

BTW throwing a curve are we? Didn't expect a new chapter on Friday. 

True on the bass ackwards. But instead of being violent with this somewhat homophobe, I decided to give her a disease/syndrome.

The curve will happen occasionally. I’d rather wait for @kbois input and give you all a better product.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Sherye Story Reader said:

I agree with some of you about everyone needs to stop the jabs at Dylan. Some people are more sensitive than others. I know I am. The other thing is I agree with Dylan's family. There is more to Dylan's and Colton's relationship that they are not seeing. Others can tell if someone has feelings for someone just by observing them.  Dave and Patty will be upset when they hear what went on what Jackson and Zach done

Yeah, the story will upset them. But then it should, right?

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, kbois said:

They do need to back off with the teasing comments. As the youngest and only girl, my brothers teased me mercilessly when I was a kid. Explains a lot about why I am like I am. Lol. 

I've learned to give it right back and more than one brother has gotten zinged over the years. I'm not sorry either. 

Dylan's therapist needs to work on giving him the tools to cope with these situations. Not everyone is able to grow thick skin, and many need help with dealing with people who insist on teasing. (Time for me to go hunt down a certain four-legged yapper to tease)

If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out. I’m sure your brothers got that message.

Four-legged yapper. That’s funny.

  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, re2 said:

Thank you @weinerdog! My dad, the retired career Marine who can cuss a blue storm, always used the phrase “bass ackwords.”

And Thank You! @Lee Wilson for this amazing Gay soap opera. And I use that term in the kindest way. 

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I’m sure it’s been a little better since @kbois started editing for me.

  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Lee Wilson said:

Oh shoot. I took the target off @weinerdog’s back and placed it squarely on mine.

A lot better, tremendously better, damn near perfect.

That's more like it.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
8 hours ago, kbois said:

That's more like it.

I'm surprised you didn't object to only "damn near perfect"

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
On 2/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, Lee Wilson said:

True on the bass ackwards. But instead of being violent with this somewhat homophobe, I decided to give her a disease/syndrome.

The curve will happen occasionally. I’d rather wait for @kbois input and give you all a better product.

Another great chapter @Lee Wilson with the help of @kbois

You previously stated not claiming medical knowledge, but 'Thank You' for the reasonably good job of a simplified description of Bradyphrenia.

Although primarily used to describe slowed thinking and processing of information, it can also include decreased initiative, impaired memory, concentration, slowed speech, and decreased reaction time (which is why once diagnosed, doctors recommend stopping driving).

An insidious condition, to say the least. With her disclosure of why she's been acting the way she has, hopefully Patty now has the help, support and understanding of those around her.

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Another great chapter @Lee Wilson with the help of @kbois

You previously stated not claiming medical knowledge, but 'Thank You' for the reasonably good job of a simplified description of Bradyphrenia.

Although primarily used to describe slowed thinking and processing of information, it can also include decreased initiative, impaired memory, concentration, slowed speech, and decreased reaction time (which is why once diagnosed, doctors recommend stopping driving).

An insidious condition, to say the least. With her disclosure of why she's been acting the way she has, hopefully Patty now has the help, support and understanding of those around her.

All my medical knowledge comes from a friend, name is something like goggle, I don't remember right now. 😉 I knew what symptoms I wanted, just did a couple searches. I don't do a lot of research for my stories, but enough to get some things accurate.

I wonder how many people read bradyphrenia and said 'he made that up!!'

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Lee Wilson said:

All my medical knowledge comes from a friend, name is something like goggle, I don't remember right now. 😉 

I wonder how many people read bradyphrenia and said 'he made that up!!'

Oh yeah a lot of people I know refer to Dr. Goggle

When I first saw the word bradyphrenia I thought it might have something to do with playing against Tom Brady

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

Oh yeah a lot of people I know refer to Dr. Goggle

When I first saw the word bradyphrenia I thought it might have something to do with playing against Tom Brady

Arrrgh. First Mahomes wins the Swifter Bowl, and now you bring up Tom Brady. Who's next, Bono? They might be my top three non-favorite people.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment

Well Patty is trying so I give her that. Dominic has gained a cousin who will also be his friend I think. A great chapter. 👍 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Doha said:

Well Patty is trying so I give her that. Dominic has gained a cousin who will also be his friend I think. A great chapter. 👍 

Thanks much. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..