Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,071 Words
  • 1,226 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 21. Chapter 21

If you want to know what's happening at The Boot you will need to read on to catch-up on current events, I'm not telling 🤐 I'm not allowed to 🤫

“Is she going to be alright?” Liam was upset at seeing Beccy fall and called for Gary knowing he was a doctor, but with Gary's last words before they were whisked away he became more upset.

 

Danny and JJ tried to comfort him with little success and were relieved when Kate approached and spoke, “Liam honey please try to calm down, I'm sure that she will be okay and that's because you did the right thing. It was you that told Gary what happened and got help when it was needed.” Kate knelt beside his wheelchair and hugged him, his reaction reminded her that Liam was still emotionally fragile.

 

As guests were either leaving The Boot or bedding down for the night in one of the rooms Gary was urging the driver to be fast but careful with his driving, that was unless he wanted the limousine to become a delivery suite as the fall had brought on Beccy's labour. Jim was nervously holding Beccy's hand as she squeezed painfully hard while Gary tended to her.

 

Although the journey to the MRI had been short it was two and half hours later that Jim sat next to Beccy's bed, with tears in his eyes looking from one arm to the other. He wasn't feeling down or upset, he was amazed, he was looking at his and Beccy's identical twin boys. He had become a father, Beccy a mother, they were parents and they now had a family.

 

Through tears of joy he whispered, “I promised your mother that I will love her to the end of my days and I promise that no matter what happens in our lives I will always love you too.” He looked at Beccy as she slept, she was tired from her ordeal, “I promise all of you that I will always do my best, I will never turn my back on my family like my family did to me.”

 

Two nurses came in and scooped up the babies, the first one spoke gently, “Let's put your boys to bed they need their rest and so do you.” As the babies were placed in cribs at the foot of the bed Jim closed his eyes and drifted into a peaceful sleep.

 

The following morning breakfast at The Boot was as busy as ever and buzzing about the previous days events. When the phone rang Andy took the call in the office, he didn't get a chance to speak when he heard Jim excitedly giving him the news.

 

“Wow Jim that's fantastic news and I'll bet you was surprised as hell.”

 

“You bet I was, it took us both by surprise but we are happy, Beccy is feeding the boys now. They are staying in hospital for a night or two to make sure that everything is okay and to give me time to sort out another cot, we only have one as we didn't know it was twins. I have to go now, I want to hold my boys one more time before I start getting things sorted, can you tell everyone for me please and I'll speak to you later,”

 

“It will be my pleasure, give Beccy my best wishes and congratulations to you both, I'll be looking forward to seeing you and your family soon.” Replacing the receiver Any felt very upbeat and went directly to the dining room.

 

“EVERYONE CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE I HAVE NEWS ABOUT BECCY.' Andy shouted, when the room quickly went quiet he lowered his voice and continued. “That was Jim on the phone and he's just given me the news, it seems that her fall last night brought on labour pains and things haven't gone quite as expected.” The room buzzed briefly before everyone returned there worried gaze toward Andy. “Jim has asked me to inform you that this morning Beccy.” He paused and swallowed before raising his voice again, “BECCY HAS GIVEN BIRTH TO IDENTICAL TWIN BOYS.”

 

After a few seconds of silence loud cheers and whistles bounced off the walls and everyone began chatting happy for Beccy and Jim. There were some who although happy for the couple felt a twinge of pain as they remembered a baby they lost, or for the children they had but no longer saw.

 

Andy returned to the office smiling and called Christian to pass on the good news, after the conversation he left it to Christian to tell the rest of the previous days guests.

 

Christian's first call was to Jim telling him not to leave the hospital as he was going to pick him up and take him home. After giving everyone else the good news he went to pick up Jim, this made him Beccy's first visitor and the first to see the babies.

 

On the journey home Jim was excited during his conversation with Christian, they discussed his plans for the future and the changes he needed to make at home as they had only planned on one baby. Christian smiled on hearing that they hadn't decided on names for their sons and wondered what Beccy would think of Jim's idea to take inspiration from the Star Wars films.

 

Entering his home following last night's excitement Jim could feel the silence. Deciding to accept the advice given at the hospital to enjoy some quiet time, he made his way to bed for some much needed rest.

 

When the news reached The Major he was surprised but very happy, not just for Beccy and Jim but also for himself, as the way he saw it since he was 'father of the bride' at their wedding he was now the twins grandad. Something that would later be confirmed by the happy couple. Ian wanted to take the Major to visit Beccy and the twins but had to work and smiled when Kevin said that he had no plans for the day and would take him that afternoon. The morning had to be spent doing some last minute shopping, well Kevin reasoned that they couldn't go empty handed. This amused The Major and he readily agreed, two large and two small teddy's, a congratulations card, a box of chocolates, a bouquet of flowers and a few other bits later they sat in the food court at Manchester Arndale Centre for a coffee and light lunch before heading to the hospital.

 

Heavily laden with the results of the shopping spree Kevin and The Major entered the room that Beccy shared with three other 'new mum's' and their babies. Jim had returned and smiling from ear to ear he welcomed the visitors.

 

Although clearly still tired Beccy laughed, “What have you two been up to, have you left anything in the shops.”

 

“Nope, well, just a little bit we had our hands full.” Was Kevins quick reply, that had even the other mothers laughing.

 

“You know what this lad is like he only wants me with him when he's shopping so I can carry everything, last Christmas he nearly broke my back with everything he bought.” The Major's reply caused even more laughter, he knew that laughter was good medicine for anyone in hospital.

 

Jim stood. “Come on then old man take a seat and let the slave driver stand,” looking at Kevin he stuck his tongue out like a schoolboy and elicited more laughs.

 

Placing the gifts on the bed The Major gave Beccy the card, chocolates and flowers then went to the cribs which were on the other side of the bed, Kevin was already there placing a small teddy in each crib. Seeing the faces of the two sweet angelic babies brought tears to his eyes and he instantly regretted never having married or having children of his own.

 

The look did not go unnoticed by Beccy. “Come and sit down Pop and I'll get Jim to pass you your grandsons if you want to hold them.”

 

The major was nervous but in awe at holding two tiny fragile human beings as Jim handed him first one then the other of the twins.

 

Proudly he said, “They are so beautiful.” Happy tears streaked over his cheeks.

 

“This is a Kodak moment if ever there was one.” Stated Kevin, then he got out a small digital camera and started snapping away. He had shots of The Major holding the twins, Jim holding them, Beccy holding them and a 'Family Portrait' of Jim and The Major either side of Beccy holding them. He even took photo's of the other mother's with their babies promising to send them printed copies after getting their details.

 

******

 

That day Jonathon Ball had been opening the post at Thomas Street Accountants and Financial Advisors, one letter piqued his interest and he read it in detail. 'Christian is't going to like this' he thought to himself. All day was spent making calls until he got hold of the man he needed to speak to. He pleaded with the man to have the owners change their mind and grant them a new lease, but it was as if the pleas fell on deaf ears.

 

Jonathon tried a different tack and although it was stretching the limits of his position asked that they consider selling the freehold to Christian only to be told that that was not possible. Jonathon was usually a cool and calm tempered man but his patience was wearing very thin, eventually he lost his temper and ranted down the phone until he realised that he had been hung up on.

 

“Bastard, bastard, bastard.” The words spit out from Jonathon's mouth like bullets from a gun. Then his phone rang, “Hello,” he spat out, before checking himself then apologised to who ever was on the other end and spoke professionally.

 

“I'm sorry I hung up on you but you wouldn't let me get a word in.” Jonathon's temper started to build again, but before he could speak the man continued. “Just know that I could lose my job for contacting you now please listen to what I have to say. I don't personally know Christian but I know of him, I respect him and hold him in high regard because of the reputation he has, that is why I have put my job on the line by making contact at this stage.”

 

Jonathon listened intently as it was explained that the owners only granted a short lease and it was normal considering the type of building that it is. However there have been concerns regarding the fabric of the building and it's deterioration, as such appraisals had been looked at and it had been determined that renovation would cost more than the building was worth. However as the area was undergoing substantial redevelopment it held a greater value as prime development land and had subsequently been sold to a development company with the deal being kept quiet. Plans had already been drawn up for the building to demolished when the current lease expired making way for an apartment block. The current owners only legal obligation was to give notice three months before the lease expired, but the man felt that this was inadequate. This was why he had breeched protocol to give them twelve months notice as he knew that Christian would be devastated and would need as much time as possible to make future arrangements. He also stated that he felt so bad about the way everything had been done that he was looking for alternative employment.

 

Jonathon had calmed down and thanked him for the early warning. He also suggested that it may be beneficial to both parties if he remained in contact.

 

When the call ended Jonathon was in deep thought as tears formed in his eyes, he felt let down and devastated, he also knew that his feelings were nothing compared to how Christian would feel. Making a call to Christian he tried to sound calm and upbeat, arrangements were made for a meeting in two days time. Jonathon couldn't bring himself to say it over the phone, he had to tell him face to face that there was only twelve months to move operations, or The Boot would have to close.

OMG, two new additions to The Boot family, I'll bet that The Major is going to spoil them rotten, hehe.
What's this news for Christian and The Boot, have you any ideas on what they can do?
All comments are appreciated so please let me know what you think, I promise to read and acknowledge them.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
  • Wow 5
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The arrival of the twins was a big surprise for everyone.  I expect a lot of support for the family from all their friends.  Major now has two grandsons as was made very clear by Beccy and Jim.  I dread the news of the church being demolished will not be taken well by John and the staff of The Boot. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's been very mixed news in this chapter, unfortunately that is life. I'm sure that the twins will be a source of joy for bot Jim and Beccy, not to mention Major Grandad, lol. The news for The Boot is devastating for all as we will see in future chapters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The naming of his sons by taking inspiration from Star Wars. If Jim wants to call the boys R2-D2, C-3PO or Chewbacca I would think it grounds for divorce. Luke would be OK, but not Skywalker, Han or Solo. Or perhaps he wants to name them George and Lucas or Harrison and Ford.

I have to confess I have never seen Star Wars or any of its sequels or prequels. I started to watch Star Wars on video once but after about 15-20 minutes I was bored silly. To be fair, Sci-Fi generally holds little interest for me, although I did like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and the first two Planet Of The Apes films made in the late 1960'a. And I did like Meco's disco version of the Star Wars theme.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

The naming of his sons by taking inspiration from Star Wars. If Jim wants to call the boys R2-D2, C-3PO or Chewbacca I would think it grounds for divorce. Luke would be OK, but not Skywalker, Han or Solo. Or perhaps he wants to name them George and Lucas or Harrison and Ford. 

I have to confess I have never seen Star Wars or any of its sequels or prequels. I started to watch Star Wars on video once but after about 15-20 minutes I was bored silly. To be fair, Sci-Fi generally holds little interest for me, although I did like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and the first two Planet Of The Apes films made in the late 1960'a. And I did like Meco's disco version of the Star Wars theme.

I think we can assume that Beccy will put her foot down and have the twins named properly. Star wars maybe good entertainment but it's not really a mothers inspiration for baby names.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I think we can assume that Beccy will put her foot down and have the twins named properly. Star wars maybe good entertainment but it's not really a mothers inspiration for baby names.

Personally, I think they should name the twin boys Alexander (for obvious reasons) and Troy.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..