Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,792 Words
  • 10,442 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 12. Chapter 12

As always there is a lot going on, discoveries are made and it's not good. There is some good news too, but someone goes missing!
Tissues are advised and please note the chapter warning.
There is mention of abuse in this chapter but it does not go into any detail. If this may affect or upset you please read with caution.

It was Monday morning and JJ lay in his hospital bed with a floating feeling that comes with still being half asleep. Today he would find out if he was going to be discharged and he knew the social worker would be there to pick him up but that was not what JJ was thinking about, he was thinking about the boy he loved. Danny had spent most of the weekend visiting, sometimes left alone they sneaked a few kisses and cuddles before Kate and Steve returned, usually carrying soft drinks or hot chocolate and other treats. JJ liked them and wished that he too could live with the couple that Danny was now freely calling Mum and Dad, he was happy for Danny but a bit jealous too wanting that for himself.

He was half dreaming about it when he heard the door open followed by footsteps, he could recognise those footsteps anywhere the faltering sound of a slight limp gave him away. JJ’s eyes opened with fear as he felt a hand on his shoulder then the blanket being lifted, as he tried to sit up in the bed he was pushed back down by a firm hand sliding under his pyjama top.

“You had better get used to it you’ll be back with us again soon, it’s a shame your pretty boyfriend won’t be there I’d enjoy having both of you.” The sound of the gravely voice filled JJ’s ears as he stared into Mr P’s sneering grey eyes. Mr Graham Peterson, or Mr P as the boy’s knew him, was one of the Key Workers at the children’s home.

JJ froze and went pale breaking out into a cold sweat as he felt the hand moving over his chest. Just as the hand was sliding over his stomach towards his pyjama bottoms the door opened and an orderly came in with breakfast. Shocked at what she was seeing and horrified at where it could lead. The look of fear on JJ’s face was enough for her to react, she threw the breakfast tray at the man and shouted for the nurses to call security.

Mr P was angry at being challenged and feared what would happen at being discovered like this, he would probably lose his job and be sent to prison so he ran out of the door pushing the orderly over in the process.

As he ran down the ward corridor the orderly followed him with blood running from a head wound, “Stop that filthy bastard he was just molesting a patient.”

A hospital porter had just entered the ward pushing a wheelchair, hearing the commotion, and seeing the man rushing towards him pushed the wheelchair into his legs knocking him over then jumped on his back. A few moments later two security guards arrived at the ward, hearing what had happened they took control and radioed their control requesting police back-up.

Two nurses went to look after JJ, a doctor was called to check him over as a matter of urgency. Curled in a ball JJ was on his bed crying, every attempt to go near him resulted in high pitched screams and shouting. Once again JJ felt dirty, in his mind he could still feel hands all over his body, he started rocking, in his mind everyone had the same face as Mr P and he needed to escape but didn’t feel like he could. Just as the doctor arrived, JJ passed out it was more than he could handle.

When JJ regained consciousness, the doctor examined him as best he could and prescribed a sedative due his agitated condition. When the nurses told him what had happened the doctor let the sedative take effect then conducted an intimate examination of JJ in the presence of the nurses. JJ was passed as physically fit, but he noted that there appeared to be signs of previous sexual abuse. This was reported to the police on their arrival.

JJ’s social worker, Kate and Steve arrived as the police were handcuffing Graham Peterson and heard him being read his rights. “Graham Peterson I am placing under arrest on suspicion of molesting a minor. You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand your rights as they have been explained?”

“Fuck off you bastards, I’ve done nothing.” Was the reply.

“Graham what’s going on? Why are you being arrested?” JJ’s social worker couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

One of the policemen spoke up. “I’m sorry but you can’t speak with the prisoner unless you are his legal representative. Can I ask what your connection is with this man?”

“I’m Ruth Sayer. I’m a social worker for the city, Graham is a member of staff in one of our children’s homes.”

“Ms Sayer, I suggest that you contact the home and let them know that he will not be in work for some time if at all, at least until we have concluded our investigations. We will be taking him to Longsight Police Station.” The policemen then took Mr P away.

After the doctor explained what had happened and recommended JJ see a Child Psychologist who specialises in child abuse, Kate, Steve and the social worker went to see JJ. They were all upset to see JJ sedated and upset, he begged them to let him see Danny. All he wanted was to see Danny, or as he said it, he needed to see Danny.

******

Beccy and Jim were elated, they had been to view a house that morning and now they were leaving the Housing Association office with the keys to their new home. It wasn’t grand but to them it was a palace, they had been allocated a small three bedroomed terraced house in Denton as a starter home.

They needed to arrange for furniture before they could move in, but they could only think of bringing up their baby in their own home and hoped that their friends would be happy for them. They planned on visiting The Boot that night to share their good news.

******

Ian arrived home in a sullen mood after work, he had a lot on his mind. Kevin was in the kitchen preparing their evening meal with The Major’s help, gammon with broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes and The Major’s home-made cheese sauce. The smell of the gammon cooking was the first thing that greeted Ian as he opened the door, it would usually bring a smile to his face as it is one of his favourites but not tonight. The Major was the first to notice Ian’s mood and signalled to Kevin to go speak with his partner.

“Hey babe what’s up, are you okay, you’re not feeling ill are you?” Kevin was concerned as this wasn’t like his man, he was usually the happy one, the one who made everyone smile and laugh.

“I’m fine, just leave me alone and go do your thing in the kitchen will you.” Ian was irritable and it showed.

“No, you’re not ‘fine’ something’s upset you what’s the matter?” Kevin didn’t like the way Ian was or the way he was speaking but tried to stay calm.

“I am fine I told you, what part of I am fine don’t you understand? Now leave me alone and go do your thing in the kitchen, it’s my problem and I’ll sort it.” Ian was starting to raise his voice and his frustration was turning to anger.

“You’re not fine so don’t try to tell me different and don’t dare to tell me to do ‘my thing’ in the kitchen, it’s ‘our’ kitchen and ‘our’ thing! Now if there’s a problem it’s ‘our’ problem and ‘we’ will sort it, now tell me what’s wrong.” Kevin was upset and by now was shouting.

“NO!” Ian was defiant.

“SHUT UP BOTH OF YOU.” The Major had remained in the kitchen until voices got raised, both young men sat down, mouths open in shock. “Good now listen to me, I promised myself that I wouldn’t get involved in any of your disagreements and I’m not going to break that promise but I’m going to say this and that will be the end of it. Ian whatever it is that has upset you, you shouldn’t take it out on Kevin you should talk to him about it. Kevin, I know that you mean well but sometimes you must have patience and wait, don’t push or you can escalate a problem. Now if my being here is a part of that problem tell me and I’ll go.” With that The Major went to his room slamming the door behind him, he was devastated, he was in the way and he’d let them down. Quietly he packed his bags only taking what he could carry and unknown to the lads crept out through the front door.

Kevin was in shock and Ian was in tears.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pushed things.” Kevin put his hand on Ian’s back to comfort him.

“No, I should be sorry, Pop’s right I shouldn’t have taken thing’s out on you, it’s not your fault that Manny is thinking about retiring when I finish my apprenticeship. I’m just scared that I’ll end up out of work and we’ll lose everything again.” Ian fell into Kevin’s arms and felt the comfort.

“We’ll sort things out, I’m sure we can and don’t forget we have friends now so if we need any advice, we can go to them, and Pop, let’s not forget Pop.” Kevin kissed his man and smiled. “Now let’s go apologise to him, he’s probably pissed at the way we both behaved.”

They stood and walked hand in hand to The Major’s room.

Ian knocked lightly on the door. “Pop”

There was no answer.

He knocked again. “Pop can we talk with you please?”

Still no answer.

Kevin knocked. “Pop please speak to us, we’re sorry we upset you, please come out.”

When there was still no answer, they were worried, Kevin slowly and carefully opened the door. There was no sign of The Major, drawers had been left open, they were empty, the photos from the desk were missing. Then it dawned on them, The Major had left.

Ian started crying, “He’s gone and it’s my fault, I’ve got to find him.”

“Stop, okay he’s gone but it’s not your fault. If anything, it’s ‘our’ fault and we will find him. First stop has to be The Boot, we need help.” Kevin took charge, Ian listened and let him.

JJ's past is now being discovered, how will this affect him and his relationship with Danny?
Beccy and Jim have something to look forward to, no matter how humble home is always home.
Where has The Major gone? Let's hope he get's found.
Thank you to all who read, leave reactions and especially those who comment, you all encourage me to continue to write. All comments are read and acknowledged so please let me know what you think.
I have written this without the aid of a beta reader or editor as that is how I have chosen to do it so any errors are all mine, if you spot any let me know and i'll try to put them right as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 3
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, several shocks in this chapter...

I hope that Mr P is the only member of staff who has been abusing boys in the children's homes, and that he isn't part of some larger ring of paedophiles. These rings appeared to have operated almost without any checks for decades up until recently, but they should nowadays find it harder to keep their activities secret...

Great that Becky and Jim have signed the lease for a house. Let's hope it all works out for them.

The Major was right; Ian and Kevin should be able to talk about each others' problems without resorting to shouting at each other. But they're both young, so are probably expected to over-react at times. I'm not sure why the Major himself got so upset, though. Perhaps it was because he, himself, shouted at the pair of them. But I took that to be mainly a result of his military training. Hopefully he can be found, and has calmed down when he is found.

And, fingers crossed that JJ will be found somewhere safe to live...

Edited by Marty
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Whenever people are given control over others, there is the possibility of abuse. It can be relatively minor, as with petty government clerks taking their time to fulfill requests. Or it can be as serious as physical or sexual abuse.

Children are much more vulnerable than adults, but there are plenty of cases of elder abuse (which can include finances), abuse of the physically and/or mentally disabled, and prisoner abuse. Abuse can take the form of supervisors ignoring others who are doing the actual abuse. None of this diminishes the seriousness of the issues or the pain caused to each individual.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Danny was at least somewhat aware of rumors about Graham Peterson. Even if none of the abused boys talked about it, there was bound to be gossip about Peterson. There would have been fear or at least discomfort about being around a pervert like him. This was probably the major reason why JJ ran away from the home.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

The worst part about what you say on the subject of abuse is that you are right in every way, it's been going on in many institutions for a long time, too long and probably will continue to so it is important that even a hint of abuse is reported and investigated.

When you read the part about JJ it may not be apparent straight away, but a second read answered your question about JJ's reasons for running. It is highly likely that the rumours do exist, we'll find out in a future chapter.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

When you read the part about JJ it may not be apparent straight away, but a second read answered your question about JJ's reasons for running. It is highly likely that the rumours do exist, we'll find out in a future chapter.

I noticed, but didn’t phrase my Comment clearly enough. It was obvious that Peterson had done similar things to JJ in the past. JJ’s reaction would only have happened if he had be traumatized by things that Peterson had done previously.

I don’t think Danny was aware of JJ’s abuse though, because I think Danny would have raised alarms. I don’t think he would have let JJ deal with it on his own. I’m thinking that Peterson picked on JJ after Danny was adopted because he became more vulnerable without Danny’s support.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Yes - I concur with droughtquake on re-reading JJ's reason for running and do hope there are rumors sufficient enough that will put that

monster where he belongs.  Here in the US people who are incarcerated for abusing children are not well liked by fellow prisoners!! Sometimes karma does make sense!

A lot of drama in this chapter - hopefully all will be sorted out.  Fantastic story - I'm loving every chapter.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, KayDeeMac said:

Yes - I concur with droughtquake on re-reading JJ's reason for running and do hope there are rumors sufficient enough that will put that

monster where he belongs.  Here in the US people who are incarcerated for abusing children are not well liked by fellow prisoners!! Sometimes karma does make sense!

A lot of drama in this chapter - hopefully all will be sorted out.  Fantastic story - I'm loving every chapter.

Thanks again @KayDeeMac for your comments they are always welcome. JJ's reason's for running are understandable, it may not have been the best decision but who am I to judge? I've never been in that position and many youngsters would no doubt do the same in those circumstances. Here in the UK people who commit crimes of that nature often end up in confinement at their own request for safety, not all get to the end of their sentence for fairly obvious reasons. The drama in life is never ending it just shifts direction and affects different people at different times, but we also experience the good times and I'm hoping for those times for our characters too. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

God what a chapter things could have been handled better. And Mr. P the filthy bastard wondering how long had he been doing this! I just hope the boys can find the Major, besides fights happen so times and I hope we can find some healing here:yes:

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Mr P is now in police custody so I think he will be dealt with appropriately, but it takes time. We all have misunderstandings at times, we just have learn to deal with them, The Major's misunderstanding and over reaction is the worst, let's hope the boys find him quickly.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am glad the hospital staff were able to take Mr P down.  JJ is probably a mess, but at least Mr P will be out of the picture.  I also hope he's the only pedophile at the Home.  I wonder what Ian is so upset about.  The fight put Pop in a difficult spot, but his talk didn't come between Ian and Kevin.  I hope they find him quickly and make sure he knows he was not interfering, but like a good dad helping them.  Neither of the boys have had a loving adult in their lives to help them how to solve problems in a relationship.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yep Mr P is in police custody, that's the best part of this chapter, as for the rest I have my fingers crossed 🤞.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Rock spiders are generally very unpopular in prison and sometimes their prison sentence is reduced by death (murder or suicide). Graham Peterson if convicted could well find himself in grave physical danger or he may become Bubba's bitch.

Ian and Kevin were foolish to argue, but The Major was even more foolish to leave. What will it take to get through that thick skull of his (thickened by pride and obstinance) that the boys want/need him to complete their family. Stubborn old bastard I recall Kevin referring to him as, a very apt description it seems.

I don't think I have ever heard of gammon before @Mancunian. I had no idea what it was, thinking it may be some kind of game due its name. I was forced to eat meat until I left home a the age of 18, although increasingly less so in my teens as I started to resist and rebel, and was exposed to all sorts of disgusting food (steak and kidney pie, lamb's fry and bacon, corned beef or as some call it silverside, and brains to name but a few). To this day the smell of lamb or pork (especially bacon and eggs) cooking is enough to make me have to close all doors and windows to try and block out the smell. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Rock spiders are generally very unpopular in prison and sometimes their prison sentence is reduced by death (murder or suicide). Graham Peterson if convicted could well find himself in grave physical danger or he may become Bubba's bitch.

Ian and Kevin were foolish to argue, but The Major was even more foolish to leave. What will it take to get through that thick skull of his (thickened by pride and obstinance) that the boys want/need him to complete their family. Stubborn old bastard I recall Kevin referring to him as, a very apt description it seems.

I don't think I have ever heard of gammon before @Mancunian. I had no idea what it was, thinking it may be some kind of game due its name. I was forced to eat meat until I left home a the age of 18, although increasingly less so in my teens as I started to resist and rebel, and was exposed to all sorts of disgusting food (steak and kidney pie, lamb's fry and bacon, corned beef or as some call it silverside, and brains to name but a few). To this day the smell of lamb or pork (especially bacon and eggs) cooking is enough to make me have to close all doors and windows to try and block out the smell. 

If we had rock spiders in the UK I'm sure that someone would find a way to introduce them to some prison inmates. Graham Peterson gets pushed to one side in this story as other events overshadow him. But we can hope that he meets Bubba, lol.

Many arguments are stupid, and this one definitely was. I think it will all work out in the end.

I love meat and could never give it up, but I do enjoy the occasional veggie meal, they can be very tasty. Gammon is another variant on pork as is ham and bacon, not to everyones taste but popular with a lot of meat eaters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Jason seems to be having the worst of luck.  At least another paedophile has bitten the dust.  I understand Ian's worry, but The Major was right.  I only wish he had not run off and stayed long enough to hear Ian and Kevin's apology.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Jason seems to be having the worst of luck.  At least another paedophile has bitten the dust.  I understand Ian's worry, but The Major was right.  I only wish he had not run off and stayed long enough to hear Ian and Kevin's apology.

Jason's luck does look like it's on a downward spiral, hopefully, with this happening in the hospital something good can come from it.

Ian's worries are understandable, his spat with Kevin shows how relationships can be affected by outside influences.

I think there is more to The Major's reaction than we see at the moment, if I'm right it will probably come out at some point.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..