Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 2,761 Words
  • 1,356 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 18. Chapter 18

There are more important developments at The Boot and for others associated with The Boot. Don't be alarmed it's not all doom and gloom 😉

Ian and Kevin arrived at The Grenadiers Arms later than expected, they were immediately seated and served with a meal of Hunter's Chicken, baked potato and seasonal vegetables followed by a dessert of cherry pie and fresh cream. With appetites satisfied they complimented Martin on his fine cooking, before joining The Major, Marty and Martin for a relaxing end of the day drink. After the Inn was closed they all retreated to their respective rooms for a good nights rest. The following day after a hearty breakfast and fond farewells they set off for home in the waiting taxi.

Arriving home The Major asked Kevin how his studies at University were going and was delighted to here that Kevin was expected to graduate with honours from both his accounting and business management courses.

Then he turned his attention to Ian. “How is the apprenticeship coming on?”

It's going well, I've been learning a lot but I feel I still have a lot more to learn. Manny is happy with my work and mostly gives me of the more difficult jobs to work on. He's told me that I will gain more qualifications than he has and has been teaching me more of the intricacies of running the business.” Although Ian sounded positive there was an air of disappointment about him.

And has Manny made any decisions yet with regard to his retirement?”

Yeah and that is the uncertainty for the future, he's thinking about semi-retirement to start with but taking on a partner to carry on the business. I just don't know where that leaves me, what if I don't get on with his new partner and I have to leave? I love working for Manny and I love my job.” Now the worry really showed as he faced the prospect of an uncertain future.

I'm sure that Manny will make sure that doesn't happen, trust him he has always been good to you and will make good decisions.” The Major was being as reassuring as he could. “Now how about we get to The Boot I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and I have a lot of catching up to do.”

...

Knowing that The Major was back Beccy and Jim entered The Boot to see him helping Jeff and Andy in the kitchen, the chattering was constant as they caught up with each others news. As they approached The Major Jeff noted the serious look on their faces.

Major would it be possible for Beccy and I to speak with you in private please?”

Yes of course you can, what's troubling you is it something I can help with?”

It is something that we need to speak with you about before it becomes public knowledge.” Nervousness was clearly evident in Jim's voice.

Alex take them to the office, there you can the privacy that I think you may need.” Jeff's tone showed concern for the couple.

Thank you Jeff.” there was some relief as Jim spoke.

Moments later the office opened, Beccy and Jim exited followed by The Major who placed an arm around their shoulders and led them to the kitchen.

Major is everything okay, is it something we can help with?” Asked Andy.

This is very important, I think we need to make a few calls to see if we can get as many staff and volunteers as possible to come in tonight.” The Major was serious in his manner so Jeff and Andy knew this was something significant.

Andy I'll make the calls can you make coffee it looks like it may be needed.” Jeff made for the office and made the calls. All of the Staff and most of the volunteers were would be there within thirty minutes.

Later that night everyone was sat in the dining room of The Boot. Staff and volunteers were chatting among themselves and with guests, the noise level was the highest it had ever been. There even seemed to be more guests than usual as there was a buzz on the streets that something important was happening. The noise level grew with the clatter of crockery and cutlery as everyone was fed, thanks to the many donations and some late night shopping by Christian they just managed to make the food stretch.

As the eating came to an end The Major rose from his seat announcing, “Can I have your attention please.” The noise level lessened but not everyone heard, louder this time The Major again spoke up. “Ladies and gentlemen can I have your attention please.”

Suddenly quietness reigned, you could hear a pin drop and everyones attention was on The Major. As The Major scanned the room he could see many of the old faces and some new, they like the staff waited to hear what would be said. Some looked worried, some looked hopeful but others simply sat with with blank expressionless faces wondering what difference any announcement would make to them.

Thank you everyone. I know that you are all waiting to hear what I have to say but first I must apologise if I have caused any alarm, my announcement is nothing for anyone to worry about.” He paused, licked his lips and swallowed before continuing. “The Boot has done a lot for me over the years and helped me in more ways than I ever could have wished for. They have helped and supported me to get off the streets, regain my life and much more.” He paused again looking at 'his boys' and Beccy and Jim who were sat at the same table. “I have found friendship and through friendship created bonds with a few who I now consider to be family.”

Stop droning and get on with it will ya.” An anonymous voice shouted, only to be booed and jeered down.

My boys Ian and Kevin I am proud of and they are carving out a future for themselves and then there is Beccy. Yes Beccy, she is like a daughter to me. As many of you know Beccy and her boyfriend Jim are the first to become a couple thanks to The Boot and are now looking forward to their first child, another first for The Boot. Tonight they have asked me tell you all of another first for The Boot, they came and asked for my blessing to become a married couple which naturally I have given.”

For the next few minutes nothing could be heard through the cheers, whistle's and hip hooray's everyone was happy and smiling, this was great news. Then just as quickly the quiet descended again as they knew there was more to come.

Not only have I given my blessing I have also agreed to give the bride away. The details are yet to be finalised but when they are everyone of you here is invited and we will let you know when the happy day is to be.” The Major sat down, his task completed and he had the biggest cheesiest grin of his life.

In the atmosphere of happy chatter Christian was among the first to give congratulations, “I'm so happy for you and anything I can to do help let me know and I'll do it. If I may I would like cover the cost...”

That you cannot do.” The Major was emphatic but still smiling. “That is the pleasure of the father of the bride, as I am to give the bride away that is me.”

But Alex...”

No but Alex, that is my decision and I can comfortably afford it.”

Christian nodded in acceptance. “If there is anything else I can do please ask.”

There is something if it can be done.” Beccy was in shock and awe of The Major's offer to pay for the wedding. “Would it be possible for us to have our wedding and reception here. The Boot brought us together and has helped us so much, I feel that it would be right to celebrate here among our friends.”

Jeff heard the request and agreed immediately. “You just give me the dates as soon as you can and I will make it happen.”

When the excitement died down the guests made their way to bed and all but those working that night left for home.

...

During the course of the next few weeks news of The Major's new found wealth became common knowledge and there were many requests for handouts. The Major made it be known that he was not a soft touch and would not be handing out money 'willy nilly' as he had conditions to be met before he would help. Anyone receiving The Major's help had to be taking positive steps to be helping themselves, this was something he had learned from Christian.

There was something that The Major was determined to do and a visit to Emanuel Goldstein was called for. “Manny, Ian has kept us informed of your plans for retirement and to take on a partner. I'm sure that you will do all you can to look after him while making your arrangements, but could I ask that you speak with him as he is worried for his and Kevin's future.”

Alex we have got to know one another over time thanks to the boys, I'm sure that you will accept my word that I do plan to look after Ian in all of my arrangements.” Manny had a look on his face that Alex couldn't interpret.

Of that I have no doubt, but a few words from you would stop Ian from worrying. I also know that being single and with no children you, as I do, look on Ian as family.”

Alex you know me too well, I was planning on asking you and the boy's to dinner so that we could discuss an important aspect of my pending retirement. Maybe if I show you these documents you will understand my position, but I ask you to keep it to yourself.” Manny passed a file to The Major for him to read.

The documents were read and passed back. “Are you sure that you want to do this?”

Yes Alex, I am. It is only a small amount, a token if you like and I do know that a small amount of finance may be needed, I am happy to provide the guidance to obtain that finance.”

Manny there is no need I will help with that.”

Okay well that just leaves one thing left to do, keep Sunday daytime free, I'll send the official invite for lunch with Ian is that agreed?”

The Major nodded and they shook hands, both of them were old school where a mans word and a handshake were good enough.

The next day Ian came home with the news that Manny had invited them for Sunday lunch and he had accepted. The Major smiled knowingly. It was time now to execute another plan that he had in mind.

Didn't you two tell me that you had passed you driving test?”

That's right Pop, I passed first time but if you remember it took Ian two attempts, so yeah we have our licenses. Why do you ask?”

I was just wondering why you haven't bought a car that's all, wouldn't it make life easier?”

Ian just laughed, “It would be if we could afford to buy one, but it's not just that it's the cost of insurance too it's expensive when you're our age.” Then he looked at The major, “Pop what have you done?”

I'm sorry boys I just had to do it.” The Major passed them two envelopes each containing a receipt for a second-hand 5-door Ford Fiesta, nothing expensive but adequate for a young man. “Don't be mad at me, your my boys and I want you to have them. I think you need to get your laptop Kevin go online to arrange insurance as they are being delivered tomorrow and I'm paying.”

The Major received crushing hugs from his boys and a kiss on each cheek as they sandwiched him. The Major explained that they needed a car each as Ian's work and Kevin's studies meant that they travelled in different directions each day. Insurance was arranged and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as they expected, but that was the advantage of shopping around on the internet.

Saturday morning the buzzer to the entry phone sounded and an excited Kevin ran to answer it. “Hello.”

Hi Kevin it's Christian, I was going to ask you to buzz me in but, are you expecting any deliveries?”

Yes it's something Pop arranged, have they arrived?”

If your talking about two nice tidy black Ford Fiesta's they are being unloaded now, did Pop arrange the parking permits too?”

I didn't think about that but we are coming down now, wait for us.”

Before they could drag The Major to the lift he gave them the required permits to park in the underground parking lot. Excited they took the lift to the ground floor and made a bee line for the cars, a pair of shiny black compact hatchbacks with leather interiors and all the bells and whistles stood waiting for them.

When the excitement died down they decided to take a drive to Heaton Park, Christian rode with Kevin and The Major rode with Ian. After a leisurely walk in the park they swapped passengers and headed home.

Sunday Ian drove them to Manny's house for lunch, later Kevin would be driving home. Manny saw them arrive and came out to see Ian's new car, he was impressed and told Ian that it suited a young businessman which had Ian puzzled for a few minutes. After they had lunch Manny asked them to remain at the dining table as he wanted to update them of his staged plans to retire.

Placing a large folder in front of himself he looked Ian in the eye, “I know that this may appear a little unorthodox but Ian it's time that I let you know the full details of my plans. You know that your apprenticeship comes to an end the month after next and we both know that you will then have more qualifications in the jewellery trade than I do.” Ian nodded before Manny continued. “And you know that I intend to take on a partner to continue with the business full-time while I work reduced hours.” Again Ian nodded wondering where this was going. “I have decided that instead of one I will be taking on two partners, they will each have 25% of the business leaving me with the remaining 50%. Over time this will reduce and pass over to my partners.”

Ian's heart sank, 'two partners, this means I won't have a job soon.' he was near to tears when Manny pushed the folder across the table to him.

You need to look at these documents carefully, they explain everything and in order to secure your future you will need to sign in the space at the bottom of the document.”

Ian tried to read through tear filled eyes as Manny pushed another folder to Kevin telling him to read and sign too, Ian signed and pushed the folder back to Manny. He was startled when Kevin jumped up from the table.

Ian did you read this before you signed?”

No Kevin I didn't but what's the point, Manny is retiring and his partners will probably want me to leave so I need to look for another job.”

That's what you think, you had better read it properly now that you have signed it.” addressing Manny, “Is this for real? I don't have fifty pounds let alone five hundred.”

Ian wiped his eyes as Manny explained that he had nothing to worry about and that he should read the documents properly so that he knows what he signed. When he did his eyes nearly popped out of his head.

Manny Kevin is right we can't do this, we don't have the money and I could never run a business like this.”

Well on the first point the money has already been paid, as for the second point you have been doing most of it for the last year. Besides I'll still be there part-time for a while.” He rose and held out his hand first to shake Ian's hand then Kevin's. “The deal is done welcome aboard 'Partners' I'm sure with your jewellery knowledge and Kevins business and accounting qualifications I've made the right choice.”

Well that was along chapter than usual but I hope you enjoyed it. Like I said it's not all doom and gloom and this is definitely one of the better times when all was good. Did it go as you expected or was you expecting something else? Leave me a comment and let me know, I do like to hear what you think.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 13
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

My apologies to those of you who have been following the story. Unfortunately I had to take some time out, this was not planned or expected but very much needed. I have spent the last week editing some of the early chapters, this has not changed the story it has been some of the grammar and spelling that needed editing.

I am currently in the process of writing further chapters of the story which will be posted when they are ready. I am also spending time checking Lost Soul - John/Christian for any editing that may need to be done and continuing with that story also. I hope that you can forgive the delay in the writing of both of these stories and continue to enjoy them and others that are yet to be written.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

As The Major see's things the boy's are family and he is supporting his family, there are others that benefit from The Major's windfall too.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, Manny and The Major consider Ian and Kevin family, isn't that what family do, look after one another? Ian and Kevin have worked hard, they deserve a good future.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Manny has been a great boss, and now proves to be a wonderful friend for the boys.  Major is spending his money wisely by supporting his sons.

The wedding announcement was delightful.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Manny has been a great boss, and now proves to be a wonderful friend for the boys.  Major is spending his money wisely by supporting his sons.

The wedding announcement was delightful.

To both Manny and The Major the boys are family, they are like the son's they neither of them had so this feels like a natural progression. £500 pounds each to buy a partnership in a thriving jewellery business is nothing more than a token amount and enough to satisfy any legal requirements, now their future is as secure as it ever could be.

I liked the wedding announcement because it shows that homeless people are the same as everyone else, they can meet others and fall in love, they have the same feelings as we all do. I wanted to show that everyone deserves happiness and a future regardless of who they are. I hope I succeeded. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Emanuel Goldstein and Alexander Oxley, kindness and generosity personified. Ian and Kevin are reaping the rewards of their own altruism and chivalry. The lives of each of the four has been enriched from having become acquainted with the other three.

A wedding at The Boot. Perhaps the joy and ceremony of the day will impact sufficiently upon John/Christian and Andy to risk humility and rejection and declare their attraction to each other. Perhaps if alcohol is served on the day, a little bubbly imbibed might also loosen their tongues as well as their loins.

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 1
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Summerabbacat said:

Emanuel Goldstein and Alexander Oxley, kindness and generosity personified. Ian and Kevin are reaping the rewards of their own altruism and chivalry. The lives of each of the four has been enriched from having become acquainted with the other three.

A wedding at The Boot. Perhaps the joy and ceremony of the day will impact sufficiently upon John/Christian and Andy to risk humility and rejection and declare their attraction to each other. Perhaps if alcohol is allowed on the day, a little bubbly imbibed might loosen their tongues as well as their loins.

 

Manny and The Major feel that their lives have been enriched by having Ian and Kevin in them. Both men are father figures to the boys and treat them accordingly, they have also put a lot of faith in Ian and Kevin which is well-placed. Okay, I'm biased, lol.

A wedding at The Boot is something to look forward to and celebrated, but being at The Boot it will be alcohol free. Maybe someone will kick Andy and John/Christian in the backside, or maybe they won't, we just have to wait and see if they see the light.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..