Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,743 Words
  • 2,882 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 3. Chapter 3

The ever continuing story of life and events in one shelter for the homeless.
While The Major is hospital what's been happening at The Boot? Like most shelters there is always something going on and/or a few surprises just around the corner.

It was quiet at The Boot as Steve parked up, by the time he got to the office he could hear a hushed conversation but couldn’t make out what was being said. As he opened the door all eyes were on him, the looks of worry were all tinged with hope.

“The Major has been taken to the infirmary and is in a serious, but now stable condition, I’ve left John to look after the lads while they wait for news and I’ve left him with my phone so that he can call us as soon as there is any.” Steve, tired and distracted by worry, took a seat next to Kate and continued, “I just wish that Chris …… err John would keep his own phone on him it would make things so much easier. I’m sure that as soon as he can he will do the same for The Major as he has for Ian and Kevin ……….”

“Wait, stop! Who’s Chris or is it John? Or am I missing something here and what can he do if he’s homeless?” Questioned Andy looking confused. “This sounds like some big juicy secret to me.”

Steve looked around the room, realising he’d slipped up the first thought in his mind was, ‘shit what have I done.’

Jeff spoke up, “It’s OK Steve, it was inevitable that sooner or later one of us would slip up and give the game away, I’ll talk to John, he’ll understand.”

Jeff then went on to explain to Andy all about John/Christian and how much he had done to help The Boot to operate and how much they all owed him, or more accurately his trust fund, as benefactor to The Boot and how much he had been influential in Ian and Kevin’s lives.

Meanwhile, nobody had heard the quiet shuffling outside the door, most of the guests were there and heard all that had been said.

Stood outside the door with the other ‘guests’ Beccy realised how this could affect the relationship between John and everyone at the Boot, especially the ‘guests’. Quietly she moved everyone away from the door and into the dining room. Silently admonishing anyone who made any noise. This was big in their world and she knew it. As she closed the dining room door she turned to face everyone, naturally a lot of conversations were going on. She picked up on a few of the comments about how John had never been one of them and how they could no longer trust him.

Looking to Jim for reassurance Beccy addressed the group, “Listen up everyone, I’m not sure what you all heard but I’m not liking some of what I’m hearing now. So if anyone has a problem with they have or think they have heard I want to know now. NOW, DO YOU HEAR ME?” Beccy was upset, but not with John, it was the hushed voices of gossip and complaint.

Jim walked over and stood at Beccy’s side, she had been his girlfriend since they had met on the streets and he'd asked The Major for his permission. “Sweetheart you know I have your back and I have no problem with anything we've just heard.” Then addressing the group, “You heard Beccy now speak up, if you’ve got anything to say let’s hear it and get it out of the way.”

There was some shuffling of feet and a few murmurs at the back of the room then an anonymous voice spoke up, “He’s been lying to us and pretending he’s someone that he’s not. That John or Chris or whatever he calls himself can’t be trusted. He shouldn’t be here and we shouldn’t have anything to do with him. I think we should all ignore him till he goes.”

Beccy and Jim recognised the voice and approached the man who spoke. Before they reached him a young man stepped in front of them. “Is it true that John isn’t John, that he’s been lying and conning everyone? If it is I want to know why and what he wants from us. Do you know?” He looked worried, scared even.

Jim looked into his eyes, he could see and feel the fear that was there. Looking him up and down he guessed his age to be about 15 or 16, at a little over 5 feet tall and slightly built with black unruly hair he looked under nourished and in need of a shower. Jim spoke to him gently, “You look too young to be out on the streets and shouldn’t be on your own. If you want to, stick with me and Beccy we'll talk later and we can look out for you. Now hold fire while I talk to this guy.”

Jim took a few more steps and stood in front of the owner of the anonymous voice. Glaring at the old man he spoke loud enough for everyone to hear, “Well Bill what did you hear or more accurately, what do you think you heard and what’s your beef.”

“I heard snippets that’s enough, he’s some rich fella’ pretending to be poor and homeless, lying to us and trying to get to know us, what’s he up to and where’s them young lads he took away a few years back? I bet he’s some pervert after the young ‘uns.” Bill stood defiant, his frail old frame shaking.

Gasps could be heard around the room and Jim was angry, he drew his fist back to lash out causing Beccy to move in front of him. He lowered his fist bellowing, “You’re the pervert you old queer, every young kid that shows his face you scare the shit out of them trying to get into their pants, you're just scaremongering because you can’t get your rocks off with them. For your information he’s with The Major at the hospital and those young lads that you’re referring to are Ian and Kevin who help out here some nights, they help cook the food that you eat. IF YOU HAD LISTENED you would have heard that he helps pay for everything that we have here, he’s trying to help us not hurt us you old fool. I know you’ve never liked him but I have and still do. Knowing what I've just heard my respect for him has more than doubled, I owe him for what he’s given over the years, WE ALL OWE HIM!!”

Jim looked around the room as more gasps and some sniffles could heard. Then he felt something brush his side and heard the sound of a body hitting the floor beside him. As he looked down He saw Beccy out cold and the young man he’d spoken to cradling her head crying. In the distance he heard banging on a door and raised voices. Moments later Jeff and Andy came rushing in closely followed by Steve then Kate who had the first aid kit.

After a cursory check over and a whiff of some smelling salts Beccy started to come around. “What happened? I went dizzy then felt everything slip away.”

“I don’t know hun, are you alright, it wasn’t something that I did was it? I’d never forgive myself if I did anything that hurt you.” Jim had never felt so guilty in his life he genuinely felt like he'd caused her to collapse, tears were streaming down his face. “Please forgive me, I’ll do anything you ask, just please forgive me, don’t leave me.”

“Jim shut up,” said a smiling Kate. “Beccy is going to be fine and I think that she needs to come with me and do a test.”

Jim tried to protest.

“Jim, I said shut up. You will find out soon enough. Now can you look after this young man he looks like he needs a friend and he was trying to help Beccy.” Kate led Beccy to the office after Jeff and Andy had helped her to her feet.

“Well I guess I owe you a thank you for trying help Beccy, she’s my world you know, I love her. If thing’s were better I’d ask her to marry me, but then if thing’s were better she wouldn’t look twice at me.” Jim glanced down at the floor before looking up at the lad again. “So youngster what’s your name? I’m Jim as if you hadn’t guessed.” In his worry Jim was starting to ramble on.

“Hi, I s’pose. I’m Jason and yeah I know I’m just a kid to you but I’m really eighteen. I was only trying to do what’s right. I’m sorry if I upset you and Beccy, I just wanted to know what was going on that’s all. Bill told me to come here and said he would help me. I don’t know what I’m going to do now that he’s gone and is he really like that?” Jason was telling the truth about being sorry and about what Bill had told him. But the rest? Well the truth has a way of coming out sooner or later. “And stop putting yourself down, even I can see how she looks at you. She’s head over heels in love with you and I’ll bet you anything she’d say yes if you asked and marry you in a shot.”

As Jim was about to speak Steve came to tell him that he was wanted in the office. Head down looking at the floor, Jim slowly made his way to the office. He knew what was coming, he’d caused a disturbance at The Boot, that’s a definite ‘no no’ and he was going to be asked to leave and stay away for two nights. That was the consequence for most infractions of the rules.

As Jim walked warily into the office he was greeted by Beccy, “Hi, come in Dad.”

“What do you mean? Don’t be stupid with me I’m not your Dad I’m your boy………..”

Kate was excited and couldn’t help interrupting, “The test we had to do was a pregnancy test, Beccy is pregnant that’s what caused her to faint. So I do believe that means you going to be a father.”

Before Kate or Beccy could say any more Jim’s legs gave way as his body crumpled to the floor with a loud thud. Jason who had followed now found himself on his knees again, this time nursing Jim’s head in his lap.

Some secrets are out, how will this change things? And one of the guests pregnant, is this going to be the first baby at The Boot? We'll find out as the story unfolds.
Many thanks to those that are still with me and continuing to read, let me know what you think of the story so far your comments will be welcome.
This is written without the aid of an editor or beta reader as that is the way I want to do it so any mistakes are all mine, if you spot any let me know and I'll correct them as soon as I can.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
  • Love 14
  • Haha 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh boy! Pregnancy is difficult under any conditions, but being homeless exasperates any problems.  Jim & Beccy (with Jason, maybe?) need to get housed and stabilized quickly!

The big secret is out about John. While there was some of what he feared would happen, he has people who believe him and what he is trying to do with The Boot. I think people will get over any suspicion they might have…
;–)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Oh boy! Pregnancy is difficult under any conditions, but being homeless exasperates any problems.  Jim & Beccy (with Jason, maybe?) need to get housed and stabilized quickly!

The big secret is out about John. While there was some of what he feared would happen, he has people who believe him and what he is trying to do with The Boot. I think people will get over any suspicion they might have…
;–)

No spoilers, but maybe a few hints 😉

There are many different 'problems and obstacles' for homeless people to overcome and others that crop up as a result of being homeless, pregnancy is just one and a very real one for a few women that are homeless, it doesn't always turn out well. But this fiction and I'm writing it so who knows what will happen? I am happy to listen to my readers.

When secrets come out it's not always plain sailing and The Boot, like all shelters for the homeless has many secrets not all will come out and for those that do there will be hurdles to overcome before things settle down. Who's secret will be next and when?

  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

There are many different 'problems and obstacles' for homeless people to overcome and others that crop up as a result of being homeless, pregnancy is just one and a very real one for a few women that are homeless, it doesn't always turn out well.

I have read that the majority of homeless women are sexually assaulted at some point. And many who might not have been assaulted will trade sexual favors in return for protection or other benefits. Women and young people are extremely vulnerable to assault, sexual or physical.

Trans people are the most vulnerable to assault and harassment – many shelters do not provide protection, blaming the victim for the attacks. Religious-based organizations are probably the worst in that regard, often denying Trans people services or refusing to acknowledge their chosen name and gender identity. But homophobic and Transphobic staff will sometimes ignore what’s happening right in front of them.

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

I have read that the majority of homeless women are sexually assaulted at some point. And many who might not have been assaulted will trade sexual favors in return for protection or other benefits. Women and young people are extremely vulnerable to assault, sexual or physical.

Trans people are the most vulnerable to assault and harassment – many shelters do not provide protection, blaming the victim for the attacks. Religious-based organizations are probably the worst in that regard, often denying Trans people services or refusing to acknowledge their chosen name and gender identity. But homophobic and Transphobic staff will sometimes ignore what’s happening right in front of them.

Everything you have said is 100% right and it is very much the same in many shelters for the homeless here in the Uk. For that reason I decided that I didn't want The Boot to be affiliated to any religion and to be run by good natured people with open minds who accept others unconditionally. Some of what you have highlighted may be touched on in this story.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Interesting developments...

I wonder how things will now change for John/Chris now that his secret has been inadvertently revealed. He certainly won't be able to keep pretending to be homeless any more.

Not sure I like that Bill character. He could cause trouble.

Nice interplay of characters and motivations, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Interesting developments...

I wonder how things will now change for John/Chris now that his secret has been inadvertently revealed. He certainly won't be able to keep pretending to be homeless any more.

Not sure I like that Bill character. He could cause trouble.

Nice interplay of characters and motivations, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

Thank you @Marty, I hope to keep it as interesting as possible and I'm relying on everyone to keep me on my toes if I start to slip. We will hear from Bill again at some point and I think you will enjoy chapter 4 🙂

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
18 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

WOW!  Didn't see that coming!!

Yet again a new wrinkle or three. 

Really good story Mancunian!

Thank you again @KayDeeMac it's the readers and comments like this that keep me going 😀

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Wow what a chapter so many changes. John doing only good with his money and now outed well I hope they can see the good he does! And the other big surprise is Beccy and her pregnancy test sure hit Jim hard lol😁

  • Love 2
Link to comment

There is always something happening in The Boot, no different to any other shelter. Hopefully Beccy and Jim's future will get better, and hopefully everything goes well for John. All will be revealed in following chapters. 🤞

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Now that John/Christian's secret is out, I think there will be some big changes for him.  I don't have any ideas what they will be, but there will be some adjustments for everyone.  I pity someone like Bill.  He is the only one he is hurting.  People like this don't have the basic resources and skills to overcome adversity and become bitter and hate filled towards themselves.  On the outside that is openly directed at others, but that only makes it more self destructive on the inside of Bill.  Fortunately there was much good news also.  Beccy and Jim are going to be parents!  They also stood up together to meet the challenge by telling it straight and truthfully to the clients of The Boot.  Major is doing well and maybe going home and staying with his family.  The dialogue is well written, focused and realistic.  Great chapter @Mancunian!   

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, raven1 said:

Now that John/Christian's secret is out, I think there will be some big changes for him.  I don't have any ideas what they will be, but there will be some adjustments for everyone.  I pity someone like Bill.  He is the only one he is hurting.  People like this don't have the basic resources and skills to overcome adversity and become bitter and hate filled towards themselves.  On the outside that is openly directed at others, but that only makes it more self destructive on the inside of Bill.  Fortunately there was much good news also.  Beccy and Jim are going to be parents!  They also stood up together to meet the challenge by telling it straight and truthfully to the clients of The Boot.  Major is doing well and maybe going home and staying with his family.  The dialogue is well written, focused and realistic.  Great chapter @Mancunian!   

Thank you again for commenting, please keep them coming they are welcome. As you say with current events there are a lot of changes on the cards that affect a lot of people. All I will say about the changes is that some come sooner than others, some are more welcome than others and some are not as good as others. That's all I'll say so that I don't spoiler your reading.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I forgot to mention in my comment when I read this before, but I was proud of Beccy and Jim for also rescuing Jason and protecting him from Bill.  People like him are the lowest forms of humanity!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Mancunian

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I forgot to mention in my comment when I read this before, but I was proud of Beccy and Jim for also rescuing Jason and protecting him from Bill.  People like him are the lowest forms of humanity!

Beccy and Jim prove that even among homeless people there are good people. Unfortunately, Bill proves that the same is true of those with some of the worst traits of humanity.

Edited by Mancunian
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..