Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,563 Words
  • 1,423 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 14. Chapter 14

It's been a while and I'm sorry for the delay, but here goes with chapter 14.
A lot has been happening on many fronts, here's a small reminder and a little about something that's away from The Boot but definitely affects some of our regular characters, plus news for The Major that could change his future and maybe others too.
Note; there are descriptive references to violence.

A lot can happen in less than a week and the judiciary had definitely been busy. The papers had reported two separate cases of pedophilia in the Manchester area culminating in three arrests. One where a previously respected child care worker had been arrested for sexual assault against a minor while in care, he had been arrested when caught trying to assault a youth who was in hospital. Enquiries were ongoing and it was believed that further arrests could take place in connection with the incident. The arrested man was in custody and 'helping' with a police investigation. The other a separate, and believed to be an unconnected incident, involved the arrest of two men following a 'tip off' from a member of the public, no further details were given but both men involved were remanded to Strangeways Prison and were due to appear in the Crown Court.

Danny had spent all week waiting anxiously for Saturday to arrive as he had been promised that he could visit JJ who was in a secure Child Psychiatric Unit attached to the hospital. Kate and Steve had consoled him most nights before he fell into a fitful sleep and today was Friday the night before the visit.

Jim and Beccy had a busy week applying for help to furnish their first home together. They had been given living room furniture by The Salvation Army, another charitable trust had provided reconditioned white goods for the kitchen and they had been given a grant by the resettlement team at The Boot. The Local Housing Association had also given them DIY vouchers to help with decorating. Jim had put his skills to work and worked hard to decorate the house and made a special effort to create a nursery for their unborn child. All week there had been deliveries of the furniture that had been picked out by Beccy, she had co-ordinated with Jim to make sure that everything would compliment their chosen colour scheme and provide them with as comfortable a home as possible. Their excitement was obvious and Jim had taken care to make sure that Beccy did not overdo anything, he didn't want anything to harm either her or their unborn child who was due in four months time. Tonight would be the first night in their new home.

Andy and Steve had split duties at The Boot to cover for an absent Jeff and tonight they eagerly awaited Jeff's return, tonight he was going to tell them what had been so important that he needed to take some time off from The Boot. Tonight was also the first night that The Major would put in an appearance since leaving hospital, of course this meant that Ian and Kevin would be with him.

…...

Like many prisons Strangeways was overcrowded. This resulted in some inmates being placed among the general population when they should have been placed in isolation for their own protection.

There had been a buzz going on through the week and the guards had sensed the atmosphere change. They were short staffed and didn't have the resources to find out what was going on.

The remand wing, which was next to the hospital wing, was split into four landings. Each landing housed a different category of prisoner, the lower ground landing was for the younger prisoners under twenty five, keeping them apart from some of the more hardened criminals. The upper ground landing and landing one housed the more mature prisoners who were on remand for the first time and for repeat petty criminals. The top landing, landing two, housed those on remand for the more serious crimes, serious assault, arson, murder and sex offenders.

Each landing was identical and could be viewed from one vantage point, 'the centre' which was where four wings met. Cells lined both sides of the landing with a walkway that went down each side and across the bottom creating a continuous path all the way round with an iron railing, there was no connecting floor between the two sides allowing the guards to see each landing from their vantage point. Steel netting was stretched across which prevented anything from falling to the lower landings from above.

Every meal time was the same, a food serving station was placed at the centre, one landing at a time prisoners were released from their cells where they made their way to where the food was being served and returned to their cells to eat. A one way system was in place to minimise contact.

This Friday evening was no different, there was minimal choice of food, traditionally for a Friday the choices were fish and chips, vegetable curry or cheese salad, dessert was apple pie and custard or fresh fruit. The fish and chips were warm and soggy not hot and crispy, the curry was tasteless and barely warm, the salad had lost its crispness being limp and the cheese had no flavour, dessert faired little better fresh fruit being the best choice.

The Senior Officer spoke to the guards, “Listen up all of you, I know I'm repeating myself each meal time, but we've all sensed it there is an atmosphere and that spells trouble. Watch everyone like a hawk, stay in your pairs and look out for each other. If you have any concerns use your radios and remain calm. I don't mind slowing food service to avoid any trouble, got it?” The men all nodded their agreement. “Okay let's get started.”

One guard stayed with the Senior Officer, standing back from the food carts to allow plenty of space for the prisoners. Two guards stood at each end of the walkway on the lower landing while two guards went to each cell unlocking it for the prisoners to get their meal. Two more guards stood slightly apart behind the food carts watching the food being served. This was repeated for each landing.

In turn every prisoner picked up a plastic food tray each had three indentations, one for a main course, one for a dessert and one for bread if they chose to have any. As they made their way in front of the food they made their choices before collecting a drink, tea or coffee each being fairly weak and tasteless or water and plastic cutlery. As they re-entered their cells they closed the door behind them which automatically locked. One by one the prisoners were fed a landing at a time. Everything went smoothly, or so it seemed and there was sense of relief among the guards.

Nobody had noticed the crudely made 'shivs' wrapped in thin cleaning rags that were taped to the underside of two trays. They had been carefully passed to two prisoners from the top landing. Equally nobody had seen the close contact on the top landing where two prisoners had stumbled into their cells before hitting the floor.

As is usual after each mealtime a kitchen orderly was escorted by two guards on each landing, opening one cell at a time to retrieve the trays, mugs and cutlery which were counted as they were returned. Suddenly all of the radios crackled and a siren was heard on the wing, “Emergency landing two.” was the brief message transmitted. Immediately the collection stopped leaving prisoners locked in their cells and all orderly's were sent to report to the centre. Four guards remained at the centre, the Senior Officer and the remaining guards made their way to the top landing. A single guard stood outside each of two open cells.

The gruesome sight in each was very similar, food was strewn across the floor awash with what passed as tea. An inert body was lay over it oozing blood from a neck wound that had been made by a crude 'shiv' sticking out of the carotid artery also severing the vocal chords. Each man had slowly bled to death unable to speak or call out.

All prisoners remained locked in there cells as prisoners 564901 William Matthews and 564902 Alfred Johnson, Bills accomplice, were placed in body bags and taken to the morgue. An investigation would need to take place.

…...

Elsewhere in the city.

Danny was again being consoled by Kate before falling asleep.

Beccy and Jim were cleaning up in their kitchen after eating and before going to bed, they were tired from their hard work through the week.

At The Boot there was a very mixed look of shock and surprise on the faces of Andy, Steve, Ian and Kevin as a laughing Alex shared the good news that Jeff had just given him. Without The Major knowing Jeff had been doing some digging around in his past and made a significant discovery. In his drunken grief and suffering PTSD from losing his close comrades, his 'family', from the army followed by losing Andy his dear friend who was more like a son he had suffered some form of alcohol related amnesia. In doing that he had forgotten that money from the sale of his home had been placed into a bank account for him. Into that account The Army had continued to deposit his army pension. All of this time, unknown to him, it had been sitting in the bank growing with the continuous deposits and interest. The Major was not as destitute as he thought.

div style="text-align:left;">
Shiv - A noun - informal North American slang and adopted in the UK. a knife or razor used as a weapon.
Origin43b88928f255db2d3ea63aeeb2c90d5d394c120f
probably from Romany chiv ‘blade’.
 
It looks like prison justice has been carried out before the courts could have their say, this is something that although illegal often happens in prisons across the globe.
 
And the burning questions are, just how much does The Major have and what's he going to do with it, I guess we will find out in future chapters.
 
If you're still with me after the long hiatus, thank you and please let me know what you think I'm always interested in my readers opinions.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thank you @Jondon for the comment I happy that you are enjoying it, there will be more to come very soon but I'm not giving out any spoilers 🙂

The first instalment of Lost Soul has already been posted on site and the first part of a new Lost Soul instalment is currently waiting in the moderation queue which will hopefully be posted in the next day or so. more to that story and more stories to the Lost Soul collection will also be posted in due course. I hope you enjoy 😀.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Good to see you back, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

Here's hoping that the meeting between Danny and JJ goes well, and that JJ has been receiving the therapy he so obviously needs. :yes: 

Whilst I am not in favour of summary executions, I wasn't surprised at what happened to Bill and his accomplice. I did actually Google the word "skiv" when it first appeared in this chapter as, although I had he correct suspicion as to its meaning, I wasn't 100% sure. But I'm just hoping that the same justice isn't meted out to Mr P., if only because he may be able to name others involved in the likely paedophile ring. 

On a lighter note, the mention of Strangeways Prison reminded me of the following:

Spoiler

I don't know how many times I saw Mike Harding perform in the Manchester area at the time. He was one of my favourite artists.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Marty said:

Good to see you back, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

Here's hoping that the meeting between Danny and JJ goes well, and that JJ has been receiving the therapy he so obviously needs. :yes: 

Whilst I am not in favour of summary executions, I wasn't surprised at what happened to Bill and his accomplice. I did actually Google the word "skiv" when it first appeared in this chapter as, although I had he correct suspicion as to its meaning, I wasn't 100% sure. But I'm just hoping that the same justice isn't meted out to Mr P., if only because he may be able to name others involved in the likely paedophile ring. 

On a lighter note, the mention of Strangeways Prison reminded me of the following:

  Reveal hidden contents

I don't know how many times I saw Mike Harding perform in the Manchester area at the time. He was one of my favourite artists.

 

Thank you @Marty it's good to be back. As for Danny and JJ i've got my fingers crossed for them 🤞.

As for summary executions I'm not in favour of them myself, but as we both know these thing's do happen in prison to sex offenders. I think we will be hearing more about Mr P as the police have a vested interest in keeping him healthy.

And wow, that record is older than me so I don't remembered it but my Dad would have probably remembered it, I may have try to look it up on youtube or something and have a listen it looks like it could be a fun thing to do.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

And wow, that record is older than me so I don't remembered it but my Dad would have probably remembered it, I may have try to look it up on youtube or something and have a listen it looks like it could be a fun thing to do.

I still have Mrs. 'Ardin's Kid LP on vinyl; along with half a dozen or so other of his LPs. When I was teaching second level in Swinton, I actually brought some of my pupils to watch him perform a few times.

He was more than just a comedian; he was a social commentator as well (usually through comedy). Met him once around 1980 or 1981 in a church hall on Deansgate, when the then Eco Party (a forerunner of The Green Party), that I was involved with, put on a free public showing of The War Game, a film the BBC had made in 1965 (to mark the twentieth anniversary of Hiroshima) about the likely effect of a nuclear attack on Britain (and then decided not to show, as the government persuaded them not to, as they worried it might panic the general public). I borrowed the school projector to show the film. When I say I borrowed it, I didn't actually ask permission. I reckoned the headmaster would have said no.

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@Marty you've convinced me I have to look up that record and the film sounds interesting too. You sound like you was a bit of a rebel in those days lol, I'm sure that you and my Dad would have got on well if you had met. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

While I concur with your opinion of summary executions it is not uncommon here in the US as well, especially when this type of crime become known to the other inmates!!  So happy to have you back with the boot-three-years-on.  It's a great story!!! 

Edited by KayDeeMac
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, KayDeeMac said:

While I concur with your opinion of summary executions it is not uncommon here in the US as well, especially when this type of crime become known to the other inmates!!  So happy to have you back with the boot-three-years-on.  It's a great story!!! 

Thank you @KayDeeMac for your comments, sometimes summary justice is handed out, as wrong as it is it is still a part of our society.

I hope that you enjoy the following chapters.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Well that was unexpected, I could tell was Bill one of the dead?

Life throws the occasional 'curve ball', sometimes good, sometimes bad. I don't think anyone will be mourning Bill or his friend, while I cannot condone this form of summary justice I'm not surprised by it, it's 'just desserts' as some would say.

I hope The Major can keep level headed, finding out what he has is enough to go to anyones head and do some silly things, the money is for his future and well being.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I am still worried about Jason's mental health, but happy that Bill and his accomplice are no longer around to attack kids anymore.  Major has a happy surprise and I wish him well.  I think he is too practical to be spending his money foolishly.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's right to be concerned for Jason/JJ's mental health but he is in the best place to help him, hopefully soon he will be ready to move on. I don't think there will be many who will miss Bill or his accomplice, hopefully his memory will fade away into the past. The Major has a good life now which I think he values and underneath his gruff exterior I think he is a shrewd man who will keep a level head.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Whilst I find it hard to be sympathetic to the two rock spiders who were summarily executed by other prisoners, I have so often read of the death of persons (mainly men) convicted of these crimes and of their horrendous lives as children, invariably having been the victims of sexual, physical and/or mental abuse, and often having lived in very impoverished circumstances. I have to wonder if William Matthews and Alfred Johnson suffered similar abuse as children.

A welcome surprise for The Major whom I imagine will use the "windfall" to help others.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

'Prison Justice' as it is known is not the same as justice in the courts and is sometimes carried out without concern for a person's past, it is frowned upon and always investigated not always with any success. Now we will never know about the two men's past.

It is a welcome surprise for The Major, I'd guess that his mental health was the main reason for not knowing of it. He will look after those he feels are deserving, but he is no easy touch which is good or he could be taken advantage of.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

The Major has a great reason to be happy. Jeff's absence is now explained.  He's a good man.  I wonder how he found out about The Major's money.  Jail justice rendered the verdict and execution of Bill and his accomplice.  I wonder who the source of information about the two criminals was.  As busy as Beccy and Jim are, I'm surprised that they did not visit Jason, although where he is at now is a place that usually does not allow visitor outside of family.  I hope Jason will be able to begin healing as he stays in the Child Psychiatric Unit.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, raven1 said:

The Major has a great reason to be happy. Jeff's absence is now explained.  He's a good man.  I wonder how he found out about The Major's money.  Jail justice rendered the verdict and execution of Bill and his accomplice.  I wonder who the source of information about the two criminals was.  As busy as Beccy and Jim are, I'm surprised that they did not visit Jason, although where he is at now is a place that usually does not allow visitor outside of family.  I hope Jason will be able to begin healing as he stays in the Child Psychiatric Unit.

I think Jeff may have enjoyed doing his bit of detective work, especially when it brought good news for The Major.

The prison 'grapevine' is reported to be very efficient at finding out and spreading news so it was probably only a matter of time before Bill and his accomplice were found out. This is why it is recommended that certain prisoners be placed in solitary or on specialist wings. Prison justice is often brutal throughout the world.

Beccy and Jim have been busy, maybe they did visit Jason at some point but it got overlooked in the telling of the story. I think Jason is in the right place and will do well given time.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..