Jump to content
    Mancunian
  • Author
  • 1,884 Words
  • 2,380 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Boot - Three Years On - 1. Chapter 1

The continuing story of The Boot - Three Years On.
It is not necessary to read the original story of The Boot but some may find it useful.
Time for someone to say goodbye, but it's not a sad one.
Oh no, problems for The Major!

“I’m really going to miss it you know, I’ll miss all of the regulars and meeting the new comers too.” Kate was thinking out loud as she and Steve were driving to The Boot. This was to be Kate’s last night volunteering, they had been accepted as foster parents and were due to start a few tentative meetings with their first charge.

As they pulled up in the carpark Steve turned to her, “I know you will hun and I'll miss you being here with me, everyone will miss you it won’t be the same. But we can swap duties now and then, I can stay at home and you come in and cover for me sometimes.”

“We’ll see, first we have a youngster to settle in at home and we don’t know how long that will take. Now let’s get in there, Jeff will be wondering where we are.”

As they entered The Boot through the back door it felt different, it was quiet which gave the old church an eerie feeling as the door closed, the sound echoing in the corridor. The office was dark and empty, prompting them to check the kitchen, although the lights were on it too was empty and the shutter to the dining room was down.

Kate gave Steve a sly look, “There’s something going on here and that smirk on your face tells me that you know something, so come on spit it out.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, honest I don’t know anything.” Steve was unsuccessfully trying to look innocent as he guided Kate into the dining room.

Kate was first through the door and was taken by surprise at the sight in front of her, all of the project staff and volunteers along with all the regular ‘guests’ of The Boot and a few new faces, the room had never been so full. The tables had been moved to the sides, half of them filled with food, bowls full of various salads, plates piled high with sandwiches, pork pies, sausage rolls and other finger foods. One table was full of soft drinks, alcohol free beer and wine. Alcoholic drinks were banned from The Boot for good reason.

Jeff stepped forward, “Kate please forgive Steve for keeping our secret, everybody here wanted to say goodbye and wish you well on your last night. We will all miss you and hope that you will come to visit us from time to time. We also want to congratulate you both on becoming future foster parents we can’t think of anyone better to take on such a responsibility.”

As Jeff stepped back everyone burst into chorus with ‘For She’s a Jolly Good Fellow’ followed by a round of applause and a few ‘hip hoorays,’ causing Kate to blush, Steve was beaming with a big smile on his face.

For the next hour Kate enjoyed the company of everyone present, receiving many handshakes and hugs from teary eyed ‘guests’ as she mingled. She had a good rapport with them and was well respected and loved. Promises were made to visit and stay in touch and yes she would continue to bake for them, it would be Steve’s job to deliver the biscuits, cakes and pies which were popular.

Jeff took Kate to one side to introduce her to Andy the new member of the team. This brought the support team back up to four, they had been one down for the last six months since Juan had to rush back home to Spain due to his mother’s failing health.

Andy had come highly recommended by The E.L.H.T where he had been temporary cover while one of their staff was on maternity leave. A strikingly good looking man in his early thirties, with the build of an athlete at a little over six feet tall, dirty blond hair and piercing blue eyes he was attracting looks from many of the female ‘guests’ and a few of the men too. Kate had noticed John giving him more than the occasional glance and her mind started to wander.

Suddenly like a bolt out of the blue a realisation came to her and she turned to Jeff and Andy, “I’m sorry to interrupt the intro but there is someone I haven’t seen yet tonight. Jeff where’s The Major it’s not like him to not be here or is he hiding somewhere?”

“Ah… erm… no he’s not hiding, we haven’t seen him the last two nights and we are a bit concerned. Kevin and Ian left shortly after you arrived, they’re looking for him now.” The concern was clearly evident in Jeff’s voice even though he was trying to sound as cheerful and confident as ever.

“I’m guessing that The Major is one of the regular guests who has made his mark with you all.” Andy said before asking, “who are the two young men that have gone to look for him and why them?” Andy asked his question out of genuine interest realising that there was more to things than he could see.

Jeff went to look for John as Kate sat with Andy explaining how The Major had found Kevin and Ian and his involvement in getting them help and support. As a result the lads had maintained contact with The Major, who they now fondly called ‘Pop’ and more than once invited him to take the spare room in their apartment and live with them, he always declined making various excuses.

The sound of doors crashing open and running soon brought everything to a standstill as Kevin rushed into the room. Clearly distressed and crying he was shouting, “John… Steve… help… quick it’s Pop I… I…”

John and Steve both ran to him, John pulled him into a hug to comfort the young man, “Try to calm down and tell us slowly, now what’s wrong and why you’re so upset?”

Holding onto John in a vice like grip Kevin calmed a little and gave them the news. “It… its Pop we found him in his usual spot at the arches, he’s cold and unconscious.” Kevin was sobbing like a little boy, “I… I… I think he’s… he’s dying, Ian is still with him.” By now Kevin was inconsolable.

“Okay, John I know your with me let’s go, we’ll use my car we may need it.” By now Steve was going out of the door.

“I’ll help.” Andy went to follow.

“No, I know you mean well but The Major doesn’t know you, we’ll go and keep you all informed.” With that John and Kevin were close behind Steve.

The lighter mood now gone the room was full of hushed conversations between guests. One of them, Beccy, strode up to Jeff. “We’re all upset at hearing the news, you’re all shocked too and always doing things for us so for once let us help you, we can get things wrapped up here we know where everything goes. You guys go relax and let us know when there’s more news, let’s hope it’s good.” With that she turned around facing the room, “Come on you lot, tonight it’s our turn to look after these good people, let’s get this cleaned up before we turn in.”

Without any argument everyone did as Beccy instructed and the room was quickly cleaned up, all the remaining food was wrapped and put away in the fridge. The guests all went to bed, the men and women now had separate rooms. Kate, Jeff and Andy went to sit in the office with coffee freshly made by Beccy, to wait. Andy was feeling a bit ‘put out’ at being told what to do by John, one of the ‘guests’ and spoke to Kate and Jeff about this. They in turn tactfully explained that John was influential among the guests, how he helped them out and was regarded as member of staff, at the same time carefully guarding his secret.

****** 

Steve pulled up at the arches where Kevin had directed them to. It felt like Deja vu as John pulled back the board in the fence and led the way to where three years before he’d found two beaten up young men, this was The Major’s ‘home’. They found Ian sat holding The Major in his arms, rocking and crying.

Steve crouched down and checked for a pulse, then looked directly at Ian, “He has a faint pulse so I need you to do exactly as I ask. Strip those damp clothes off him then you strip down to your underwear and get into that sleeping bag with him keeping a close hold onto him to give him your body heat, get Kevin to help you. I’m going out onto the street to call for an ambulance.”

Ian nodded and got Kevin to help him, they both got in with him and wrapped themselves up to keep as warm as possible. John reassured them that they were doing the right thing then went to Steve and waited.

It felt like hours, but it was really less than ten minutes until the ambulance arrived. John and Steve led the paramedics to The Major and the lads, this time they had the benefit of torches carried in the ambulance.

On instructions from the paramedics the lads got dressed while The Major was examined. It was declared that he had an infection, possibly pneumonia and was severely hypothermic urgently needing medical assistance. After radioing through to control the paramedics wrapped The Major in a lined foil blanket and carried him to the ambulance to be taken to the hospital.

As The Major was being put in the ambulance Ian spoke up, “We’re going with Pop.”

“Sorry but only family can go with him.” The paramedic looked a bit uncomfortable.

Not happy with the response he got Ian shouted, “I SAID WE’RE GOING WITH POP.”

The paramedic, feeling uncomfortable, looked to John and Steve, “Are they related in some way?”

John looked hard at them and swallowed, “He just told you, he’s their Pop.”

“Okay but don’t get in the way, we’re going to the infirmary.” The paramedic was quiet in his reply and sounded apologetic.

As John and Steve followed the ambulance John used Steve’s phone to call his friend Gary.

Gary wasn’t on A&E rotation that night but said he would speak to the doctor on duty and make sure that the necessary clearances were given. The lads would go on the records as next of kin. He promised to meet them in A&E as soon as he had settled a patient in ICU.

On arrival The Major was rushed straight in, John and the lads went to give his details to the nurse as Steve parked the car. After John had called The Boot they were then taken to the family room meeting up with Steve on the way.

After a short wait a nurse entered with the news that the doctor was with The Major and she would make sure that he came with news as soon as possible but it could be an hour possibly two before they knew anything. She suggested that they make themselves comfortable and offered to bring tea or coffee which was gratefully accepted. Then they sat down to wait.

Thanks for reading the first chapter, I hope you have enjoyed the story so far. There is more to come as while the 'guests' sleep The Boot never does.
I've posted this without the aid of an editor or beta reader so any errors are all mine.
Constructive comments and feedback are welcome.
Copyright © 2019 Mancunian; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 9
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to The Boot World discussion forum. This includes all of the stories from The Boot Series and the Lost Soul Series. The Boot was the first story posted in this collection of stories, it was originally intended as a one-off story. Like many one-off stories, it grew and The Boot Three Years On was written as a follow-up. Some readers asked about the back story of some of the characters, which led to the Lost Soul Series. Together they form The Boot World. Both Series have grown and in
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A good first chapter, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

Nice to see that Kevin and Ian survived their ordeal from the original story, and that they are still involved with The Boot. I like the way they are now referring to The Major as Pop. :) 

Also nice to know that Kate and Steve have decided to become foster parents. Hopefully that will turn out well, even if it will mean that Kate may not be able to help out at The Boot as often now.

Just like Kate, my mind is also wondering about John and Andy. After all, we never did find out in the original story which team John actually plays for...

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter! :) 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Marty said:

A good first chapter, @Mancunian! :thumbup:

Nice to see that Kevin and Ian survived their ordeal from the original story, and that they are still involved with The Boot. I like the way they are now referring to The Major as Pop. :) 

Also nice to know that Kate and Steve have decided to become foster parents. Hopefully that will turn out well, even if it will mean that Kate may not be able to help out at The Boot as often now.

Just like Kate, my mind is also wondering about John and Andy. After all, we never did find out in the original story which team John actually plays for...

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter! :) 

Thank you @Marty your comments are appreciated and welcome :). There's going to be a bit happening in their future but we will have to see what happens. I already have the next chapter in the bag but I won't be posting until I have the following chapter completed and re checked what I've already written. I'm working on my own with this one as that's the way I want to do it. Chapter 2 will be coming soon. 

Edited by Mancunian
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hospitals are run very differently in the UK (compared with the US). In all the hospital waiting rooms I've ever had to sit in, the staff only directed you to the room. No refreshments were ever offered. The rooms were very sterile and uninviting. And I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of occupying many different waiting rooms in numerous different hospitals in many different cities.

Edited by droughtquake
  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Hospitals are run very differently in the UK (compared with the US). In all the hospital waiting rooms I ever had to sit in, the staff only directed you to the room. No refreshments were ever offered. The rooms were very sterile and uninviting. And I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of occupying many different waiting rooms in numerous different hospitals in many different cities.

For all the faults of our NHS (National Health Service) many hospitals here have a 'family room' attached to ICU wards and some A&E units. These are used for families waiting to see, or waiting for news of, relatives that have been admitted with very serious conditions or after very serious accidents, refreshments are very often offered along with a sympathetic member of staff who checks on them and keeps them informed of developments. Unfortunately this is not the case in all hospitals, but it is very welcome in those that do have them. I'm surprised to hear that they don't exist in the USA where you pay a fortune for your health care.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Mancunian said:

I'm surprised to hear that they don't exist in the USA where you pay a fortune for your health care.

Such amenities may exist in some hospitals, but not the ones I’ve visited. I’ve heard stories of some hospitals offering restaurant-quality food too. In most cases, the exorbitant cost goes to medical CEOs, pharmaceutical CEOs, insurance company CEOs, medical equipment CEOs, and just about everybody except for the people who actually care for patients and for just about everything except the care of the patient themselves. Our priorities are being ignored by huge corporations.

I don’t understand how Senators and Congresspeople can claim that consumers actually prefer the existing system over a system that eliminates several profit-sucking levels from our health system. It’s shocking that they can make those claims with a straight face. I don’t understand how they keep from breaking out in a giggle-fit while they speak! All while they enjoy fully government-funded (aka tax-payer funded) free healthcare!

I avoid one of those entities by choosing to use my county-run health system. I am covered by the Federally-run Medicare and state- and Federally-run MediCal insurance. But part of my coverage is provided by a private insurance company that makes a profit on my health (or illness). I still have to pay for some of the cost of my prescriptions and clinic visits, although they are subsidized.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I hope the major comes out ok, I also hope this incident will reconnect him to his friends, and to his money (of which he is still unaware).

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, CincyKris said:

I hope the major comes out ok, I also hope this incident will reconnect him to his friends, and to his money (of which he is still unaware).

For all of his faults The Major is a good man, at least for the moment he has his 'family', the lads care deeply for him.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Albert1434 said:

Just a great beginning to this story, I just hope that the Major will be ok, but we will have to wait and see! 

The Major is a tough old boot, and I say that with respect for him, but illness can affect all us in different ways. The next chapter tells us a lot.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am rooting for the Major and happy his family is with him.  He is a tough survivor and will hopefully recover soon.  I was happy that Steve and Kate are fostering a kid.  They will make wonderful parents.  

Quote

Kate had noticed John giving him more than the occasional glance and her mind started to wander.

This will be interesting to watch.  I think Andy was miffed more about missing the opportunity to get to know more about John than being told he needed to stay at The Boot.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, raven1 said:

I am rooting for the Major and happy his family is with him.  He is a tough survivor and will hopefully recover soon.  I was happy that Steve and Kate are fostering a kid.  They will make wonderful parents.  

This will be interesting to watch.  I think Andy was miffed more about missing the opportunity to get to know more about John than being told he needed to stay at The Boot.

As you say the Major is a tough old boot and doesn't go down easily. The lads mean more to him than even realises yet, in some ways he needs them as much as they need him. Kate and Steve are going into fostering with their eyes wide open and realise that it won't be easy and they are looking forward to it. Yep Andy is a bit miffed but John's identity is a guarded secret for good reason, but is it a wise decision, that is yet to be decided.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

An action-packed start to the second instalment of The Boot. It appears the Major has pneumonia, not good for anyone at any age, but I am assuming he is an older man whose immune system is likely compromised from his drinking and more recently his homelessness. Like my fellow readers I hope he has the strength to pull through.

It is great to see Ian and Kevin having committed themselves to volunteering at The Boot, passing forward the kindness that was bestowed on them. 

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this book @Mancunian

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Summerabbacat said:

An action-packed start to the second instalment of The Boot. It appears the Major has pneumonia, not good for anyone at any age, but I am assuming he is an older man whose immune system is likely compromised from his drinking and more recently his homelessness. Like my fellow readers I hope he has the strength to pull through.

It is great to see Ian and Kevin having committed themselves to volunteering at The Boot, passing forward the kindness that was bestowed on them. 

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this book @Mancunian

You are right it isn't good for The Major, fingers crossed 🤞 Ian and Kevin found him in time. Ian and Kevin are good lads and are influenced by the good friends they have made at The Boot.

I hope that you continue to enjoy the story, please be aware that this story has not been properly edited but will be re-edited in the future.

I love reading your comments. :D

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

An action-packed start to the second instalment of The Boot. It appears the Major has pneumonia, not good for anyone at any age, but I am assuming he is an older man whose immune system is likely compromised from his drinking and more recently his homelessness. Like my fellow readers I hope he has the strength to pull through.

It is great to see Ian and Kevin having committed themselves to volunteering at The Boot, passing forward the kindness that was bestowed on them. 

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy this book @Mancunian

This book has a lot of great characters and Ian, Kevin and the Major are just a few.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Mancunian said:

I hope that you continue to enjoy the story, please be aware that this story has not been properly edited but will be re-edited in the future.

 

Is that a hint? :gikkle:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

OK, I'm starting on my second read and finding more to like.  By the time I got to the Baxter Boys, I had forgotten how well-loved and respected Kate and Steve were by people at The Boot.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Kate and Steve are two of the original volunteers at The Boot and helped shape it into what it is. The Boot would not be what it is without them.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..